GUILTY UK - Hashim Ijazuddin, 21, and Saqib Hussain, 20, car crash A46 Leicester 11 Feb 2022 *Murder Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Prison call from defendant Natasha Akhtar played to jury - 'I was part of it'​

Five days after she was arrested on suspicion of murder, defendant Natasha Akhtar made a phone call to a woman from the prison she was in. The police received a recording of that call as part of their investigation.
In the call, which was very difficult to understand (the jury were handed transcripts) Akhtar was heard telling the woman "I was part of it" and also said: "Raees said he's going to take the whole blame for it. He'll have to, regardless, as he was driving".
She told the woman she wasn't driving the car but she added: "But there's a charge of assisting a murder. I'll get a few years, I know that".
She went on to say "we made up a story" about driving to Nottingham and added: "Innocent until proven guilty."

And that's all from the prosecution​

The jury is shown the tools recovered from the cars, including the wheel brace Mohammed Patel had been given to put in his trousers, and the prosecutor Collingwood Thompson KC annouces that the case for the prosecution is now concluded.
Next will be Ansreen Bukhari's defence and then each of the other seven will have their turn, with Mr Thompson getting a chance to sum out the Crown's case towards the end of the trial.

Jury back as case for Ansreen Bukhari begins​

The jury members return after lunch and they will hear from Ansreen Bukhari, the 46-year-old defendant who is the mother of TikTok influencer Mahek. She is let outof the dock and esorted to the witness box by two security guards. She is sworn in by the court usher and she will initially be asked questions by her own barrister, Patrick Upward KC.

Ansreen tells jury of dreams of being an air hostess​

Ansreen told the jury she was born in Pakistan and came to the UK as a baby. Her father worked in a pottery in Stoke on Trent and her mother was a housewife. She has lived her whole life in the city, she said.
She described being unable to go to college. "My parents were quite strict," she said. She said she then wanted to be an air hostess but her parents weren't happy with that plan either.
She said she was the youngster of four and her parents, her sister and her two brothers were all "strict" with her and when she came home from school each day she had to change from her school uniform into her traditional Pakistani clothes.
She wasn't allowed to wear fashionable clothes and never had a boyfriend.

Ansreen describes meeting husband​

Ansreen told the jury she was never allowed out on her own and never allowed to go to school discos. Mr Upland said: "Having said all that, was your childhood happy?" She replied: "Yes".
She said she visited family in Pakistan with her parents. She described meeting her husband-to-be in Pakistan at her sister's wedding. When she was 19 she returned to Pakistan and got engaged, getting married in England when she was 21 after applying for a visa for her fiancee.
"We had a traditonal party," she said. Mr Upward asked if she wanted to marry her husband and she replied: "Yes".
She described having work as a machinist, making football shirts.

After three months couple went to America​

About three months after their wedding Ansreen and her husband decided to move to America. At that time she was pregnant with Mahek, who as a result has American citizenship.
She worked as a babysitter in America and her husband worked at a gas station.
She said her husband "allowed me to have my hair cut and gave me that freedom". She added: "On my husband's side they were very Westernised compared to my family."
She said he also let her dress how she wanted to and she never wore a hijab or anything like it.
They stayed in America just over a year before her mother-in-law asked them to go to Pakistan.

Ansreen and baby Mahek stayed five or six months in Pakistan before returning to England​

Ansreen and Mahek returned to England after she became pregant and she gave birth to her son, Armaan, in June 2001 and made an application to the Home Office for her husband to join them in England.
Her husband, Ali Raza, was given permission to move to England shortly after. Ali's sister was married to Ansreen's brother. They moved in with Ali's sister in London and Ali worked as a security officer.
They later moved back to Stoke and Ali found a job working as a security guard in a library.

Ansreen got a job working with a pharmacy, later working for the Department of Work and Pensions.​

Ansreen worked in a pharmacy in Stoke after Ali's income dropped and Ansreen did a qualification in dispensing pharmacueticals. She worked for the pharmacy for eight years.
The couple moved to their current home in 2007. After some issues with the pharmacy she quit her job and a few months later got a job at Superdrug, up until the pandemic. She had a lot of responsibilities at Superdrug and Ali persuaded her to get a new job at the Department of Work and Pensions.

Ansreen supported Mahek over TikTok and Instagram​

Mahek went to university in Manchester and spent three years there. Ansreen said: "We were quite proud because I wasn't allowed to go to university and I wanted my daughter to go to university."
She said she supported her daughter's decision to be on social media. She said: "She wanted to be more on Instagram as an influencer and on TikTok. We weren't disappointed."

After university Mahek moved home to be an influencer​

Ansreen said her husband Ali was keen for Ansreen to go along to events with Mahek for her influencer work. She said: "She always wanted me to come with her and my husand knows where I am and that she's with me."
She said the work took her and Mahek all over, to places including Manchester, London and Bradford and they stayed overnight sometimes.

'Did you seek the company of other men?'​

Mr Upward asked if Ansreen looked for relationships with other men and she said she did not. He asked if she loved her husband. She said yes.
She met Saqib on a phone app called Azhar, which Mahek had downloaded on her phone. She and Mahek were at her niece's house in London about three years ago when she first had contact with him.
She described her first conversation with Saqib. She said: "My niece went on the app and that's when he was on there.
"My niece is showing the app around. We weren't on the app for long."

How relationship with Saqib began​

Saqib messaged Ansreen on Instagram after finding her via her daughter's account. She said: "He messaged me, 'Do you remember me'. I said, 'No I don't' but when I showed it to my daughter she said he was on the Azhar app.
"He messaged me after a couple of days. I thought he wanted to ask me something."
Mr Upward said: "How old did you think he was?" She replied that he told her he was in his late 20s and she told the truth, saying she was 44.
She said she gave him information about herself, including that she was "happily married" but she said she didn't ask him anything about his background. "He was just talking normal. He used to pop up on Instragram and say, 'Hi, how are you?'"

Four or five months of messaging before first meeting at Travelodge​

When asked why she messaged him she said: "I just thought that he wanted to be a friend. That's all. I found it odd but he was just.. he just wanted a chat."
She first met Saqib in August 2020 in Birmingham. She said: "He was begging me. Saying it was his birthday. I explained it was hard for me." She said she went to meet him.
When asked why she went to meet him she said it was "a mistake". She said Saqib's sister, Sana, dropped Saqib off outside a Travelodge.
She said: "He booked the room and told me to stay outside in the car. Mahek's car."

Ansreen explains why she went to meet Saqib​

She described the first meeting: "I just said to my husband I was going out with some friends and I'd be back.
"He was just begging me and begging me. He said 'Only once, just come'. "
She said that at the Travelodge Saqib's sister came and "said hello and gave me a hug" and Ansreen and Saqib went for some food at a retail park and went back to their hotel bedroom.
She was asked if she went willingly and she replied: "He begged me. It was my mistake."
She said she realised what was going to happen if she went to his bedroom with him. Mr Upward asked: "Did you fancy him?"
She said: "At the beginning I did."

Travelodge meeting only lasted a couple of hours​

She said after going to Saqib's bedroom and having sex with him she left after two hours. She said: "I said I need to get back home"
But he then begged her to take him home so she drove him back to Banbury. Mr Upward said: "You've done what you've done, he's stung you for a lift, what was going through your mind?"
She said: "I've just made the biggest mistake. I was very ashamed and embarrassed."
She started crying and the jury was sent out for a 10-minute break.

Regular messages from Saqib - 10 or 11 times a day - after Travelodge meeting​

She said he contacted her 10 or 11 times each day, telling her he loved her. She said: "I didn't really want it to carry on." She said that when she told him that "he was getting angry".
He bought her clothes and perfume but she said she did not want him to buy her things.

Saqib took selfies of them together during first meeting​

Ansreen told the jury that during their first meeting at the Travelodge, Saqib had taken some pictures of them together with his arm around her. She said: "I asked him why he was saving the pictures and he said 'They're just for me'.
"I asked him to delete the pictures and at one point he said, 'I've deleted them'.
She said she used to go to London with Mahek and it was on of those trips that she next met Saqib. At the meeting he gave her an Apple watch after they met up at a retail park.

Ansreen took clothes off in Instagram videos 'because he threatened me'​

The third meeting was not an arranged one, she said. She went out with her daughter and her nieces and he arrived with some friends. She said: "He came over and said hello and came and joined us."
She said nothing happened between them. She said: "I tried to end the relationship between us quite a few times. He started to harass me, saying I'm going to send your pictures and your videos to your husband."
She said she had video calls via Instagram with Saqib and he had recorded her taking her clothes off. When asked why she took her clothes off she said: "Because he'd be angry. He was threatening to send videos and pictures to my husband."
When asked how she was feeling, she said: "Terrified, very scared. I was getting blackmailed. He was saying he was going to send things to my cousins and everyone, he said 'I'm going to send it to your son, I'm going to send it to your husband, I've got nothing to lose, you have'."
She said she was ashamed and embarassed and didn't want to go the the police because they would discuss the matter with her husband.

Pair next had sex in London in another Travelodge​

She told the jury Saqib "found out" she was in London and wanted to see her. She said: "Of course, he picked a room and said 'Come and see me and if you don't come and see me I'm going to send your pictures....'
"It was the beginning of last year. My daughter had promotions going on. Mahek knew I was talking to him but didn't know about the sexual relationship."

Ansreen said pair only had sex twice​

She told the jury the meetings in Birmingham and London were the only times they ever had sex but since the second time he had been blackmailing her and contacting her.
Towards the end of last year they had another face-to-face meeting. She said: "He was messaging me constantly, begging me to meet him every time. He was getting more angry."

Four of Ansreen's co-defendants 'were complete strangers before night of crash'​

Mr Upward asked Ansreen about her co-defendants and she said she knew Raees Jamal and Rekan Karwan through her daughter, Mahek.
She told the jury she had never met Natasha Akhtar, Mohammed Patel, Sanaf Gulammustafa or Ammeer Jamal or had any other kind of contact with them before the night of the crash.
She also said she had never met Saqib's friend Mohammed Hashim Ijazuddin, who died with him in the car.

TikTok murder accused Mahek Bukhari's mum tells of 'harassment and blackmail' in affair​

The mother of Instagram and TikTok influencer Mahek Bukhari has told the jury in her murder trial that one of two men killed in a crash on the A46 blackmailed and harassed her during a relationship in which they only had sex twice. Ansreen Bukhari, 46, said she had been staying with her niece in London when she spoke to Saqib Hussain briefly via an app on her daughter's phone. She said Mr Hussain, then only 19, later messaged her on Instagram and they began chatting. He "begged" her to meet him at a Travelodge in Birmingham, where they had sex, she said. But before long, she wanted to end things with him, she told the jury.

Mahek tried to "sort" issues with Saqib​

Ansreen Bukhari is back on the stand, being asked questions by her own barrister, Patrick Upward KC. She is being asked to look at a list of unanswered calls from Saqib to Mahek. Ansreen said her daughter was "trying to sort things out with him".

'Were you formulating a plan to visit violence on Saqib Hussain?'​

Ansreen was asked about conversations with her daughter about getting Saqib "jumped".
Mr Upward asked: "Were you formulating a plan to visit violence on Saqib Hussain?" She said no.
He read out a message from Mahek to her mother that read: "I'll make sure he get's jumped, he won't know who did it or how."
Mr Upward asked Ansreen what her reply was to that. Ansreen said she messaged her daughter saying "don't message him".
Mr Upward asked "Did you ever want to be party to 'getting him jumped'?" She said no.

Ansreen had no plans to go to Leicester​

She told the jury she had plans to be in London the following day and a hotel booked. Mahek called her, she said, explaining they would be going to Leicester to see Saqib "because he wanted to see me".
Saqib's messages make it clear he wanted money. Mr Upward asked Ansreen whether she planned to pay him money and she replied Mahek had been messaging him about giving him money, not her. She said she just told Saqib, "If you need some money, yes, we can sort some money."

Rekan Karwan got involved 'to sort the money out'​

Ansreen repeated there was never any plan to harm Saqib - just to meet him. She said: "The plan was to meet Saqib and if he did want to request money I would have sorted the money out."
Mr Upward asked Ansreen if she expected anyone else to be at the meeting apart from her, her daughter and Saqib. She said her co-defendant Rekan Karwan was also due to be at the meeting. When asked why she replied: "He was the one who was going to sort the money out."

Four all got in Audi together to go to meeting​

She said they met Rekan and his friend Raees Jamal and they discussed where they were going to go to meet Saqib. She said: "There wasn't much more conversation than that."
Mohammed Patel then arrived, she said. She could not recall what he was wearing. She said: "Rekan and Mr Patel came to our car."
She said Mahek knew Rekan through social media.

Ansreen had no idea three others were in back of Seat Leon​

She said she had not expected Raees Jamal to turn up but she said Raees Jamal and Rekan often went out together. She said that when they set off for Tesco, with Rekan Karwan and Mohammed Patel with them in the Audi and Raees Jamal driving the Seat Leon, she did not realise that three other people were in the Seat. The jury has previously heard the Seat had illegally tinted side windows.

The meeting in Tesco​

She was asked about waiting for Saqib and she said they waited 10 to 15 minutes. There were a number of phone calls between the co-defendants. Ansreen said they were talking about what car Saqib would be arriving in.
She is asked about Saqib arriving in a Skoda Fabia. She said: "I didn't see him arriving."

'No idea' Saqib had been and gone​

She was asked more about the phone calls between defendants when the Skoda arrived.
"We waited for him 'cause he said he was on his way." She said it was only after the Skoda left again that they thought that could be Saqib. She said: "Rekan said he could be in that car."
When asked why she didn't realise the Skoda had Saqib inside she said: "He always brings Mercedes cars."

Ansreen 'didn't know' co-defendant had wheel brace as weapon​

Ansreen was asked what conversations took place at that point. She said Rekan spoke to her and Mahek. She said: "He just said he could be in that Skoda car. That's all he said."
Mr Upward asked why Rekan took over the driving. "Rekan came to the car and said, 'I'll drive' and Mahek sat behind my seat."
She said she had no idea the wheel brace from the Audi TT had been taken out and given to Mohammed Patel.

'The intention was for Saqib to stop at a safe location'​

She said they went after Saqib to try to arrange another meeting place. She said: "The intention was for Saqib to stop at a safe location. Rekan was driving and wanted Saqib to stop - maybe at another supermarket or something.
"He didn't stop at Tesco. That was somewhere where I wanted to speak to him to sort things out with him."

Ansreen complained about Rekan jumping red light​

Ansreen was asked about the point where the Audi TT drove through a red light and was caught on CCTV. She told the jury she complained to Rekan Karwan about that and he slowed down from that point onwards. She said: "He went through the red light and that really concerned me. I just said 'You've just gone through the red light' and he said 'There are no cameras here'."
Mr Upward said the Audi data shows that Rekan Karwan did slow down after that point.

'Seat trying to stop Saqib'​

Ansreen said: "The Seat was in front of us and was trying to stop Saqib - they wanted him to stop.
"I just saw the Seat was next to the Skoda." She said she thought maybe the people in the Seat were winding their windows down to try to ask Saqib to stop. She was asked if she had seen that happen and she said she had not.

Call between drivers​

A call between the two drivers - Rekan Karwan in the Audi and Raees Jamal in the Seat - lasted 14 minutes and in the Audi Mohammed Patel, in the back seat, was holding his phone up to Rekan.
Patel has told the police he heard the conversation but Ansreen said she did not hear what was said and that the phone was not on speaker mode.
At the same time, Ansreen's own phone was being used to make calls to Hashim's phone but she said she was not using the phone. She said: "Mahek had the phone."

Saqib was saying he would "send" explicit videos and pictures​

In the call between Mahek and Saqib, Mahek was trying to get Saqib to pull over but Saqib was telling her he was going to "send" the explicit photos and videos he had of Ansreen. The jury has heard he made threats to send them to her husband and son and also publish them online.
Ansreen said: "She was telling him, 'We need to speak, if you could just pull up'.
"All he was saying was 'I'm going to do it, I'm going to send the videos and pictures'."

'I just had my head down and my hands on my head'​

Mr Upward asked her about the call Saqib then made to the police. He asked: "Were you aware that 999 call had been made?" She said no.
Mr Upward said: "We've seen the sort of speeds those three vehicles were travelling at and your reaction when he went through a red light. How did you feel as the cars went up the A46?"
She replied: "I was scared. I was shaking. I just had my head down and my hands on my head."

No idea about weapons or balaclavas, the three passengers in Seat or that crash had happened​

Ansreen said she had no idea anyone had balaclavas or weapons and that, even during the chase on the A46, she had no idea three others were with Raees Jamal in the Seat.
She was asked what happened when the Skoda crashed. She said: "When the cars were going like that I had my head down. I was shaking. I was just, 'What's going on? Why's he not stopping?' He might have sent the videos to my husband or son by that time so I had a lot on my mind.
"I didn't seen anything. I didn't hear anything."
She said she didn't hear anyone saying anything at all to suggest there had been a crash.

No discussion of flaming car after they passed it​

Ansreen said that when they passed the Skoda as it burned after the crash no one talked about it. She said she was shaken and "too upset" to ask anyone about the crash. She said: "I thought like the car lost control."
She said they carried on back to Leicester and to Rekan Karwan's house and said no one discussed what they had seen. She said she expected Saqib was out of the car when it caught fire.
Mr Upward asked: "What did you talk about?" She said she was not talking to anyone and denied the co-defendants were "putting a story together".
Mr Upward asked her about her daughter Mahek's version of things to the police - whether they planned to claim they were going to Nottingham and were "overtaken by some lunatic". She said no.

No discussion with Mahek on drive home to Stoke​

Mr Upward asked if she and Mahek spoke about what had happened as they drove home to Stoke at 4am. She said: "We were just really quiet and just wishing they were both okay."
The judge asked her: "Who's both?" She said: "Saqib and Hashim."
She said that after the police arrested her and interviewed her she answered 'no comment' on the advice of her lawyers. She said she had never been in a police station before.
She was asked why, after being charged with two murders, she never mentioned her relationship with Saqib.
She said: "Because it was too embarassing." She said she was "scared of wrecking my marriage".

Ansreen didn't see husband for 10 months​

Raza Ali, Ansreen's husband, did not go to see her in prison until last weekend, she said, about 10 months after she was arrested at their family home. She said he now knew everything about her affair with Saqib.
Lastly, Mr Upward asked: "Did you ever want to hurt, physically, Saqib?" She said no.
The judge asked again if she thought Saqib had died in the fire and she confirmed she did not and only realised he was dead in her police interview.

Ansreen was 'going to tell everything' to her husband before Leicester meeting​

Christopher Millington KC, representing Mahek, was first to cross-examine Ansreen and asked her if she tried to block Saqib and "couldn't shake him off" and she confirmed that was correct. Mr Millington said: "The threats he made to you got more and more extreme, didn't they, as you refused to co-operate with his wishes." She replied: "That's correct".
He asked: "He was saying he was going to come to your house with his mates, wasn't he?" She said yes.
When asked about her state of mind before the Leicester meeting she replied: "I was very distracted, I was tired, I was asking questions to myself - how I was going to explain to my husband. I did make my mind up and was going to tell everything to my husband."
She said Saqib was "very unstable".

Ansreen admits she would lie to a jury to protect Mahek - but isn't​

Mark Rainsford KC cross-examines Ansreen Bukhari on behalf of Rekan Karwan. He asked her if she would do anything for her daughter, including lie to a jury. She answers: "That's correct."
Mr Rainsford then said: "You wouldn't hesitate to lie to the jury to protect your daughter. Have you been telling a story to the jury having seen all the evidence in this case, designed to help your daughter out."
She answered: "I'm just telling what I've seen."
He asked: "Are you telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?" She replied: "The truth."

Rekan Karwan thought it was Mahek that Saqib was blackmailing​

During cross-examination she admits that Rekan Karwan, who Mahek had got involved, had been led to believe that Saqib was blackmailing Mahek, not Ansreen. She said she and Mahek were keeping her affair with Saqib secret.

'I was in my own world'​

Under cross-examination by Sarah Vine KC, barrister for Mohammed Patel, Ansreen is asked about the point where Patel was given a wheel brace to put in his trousers.
Ansreen answered she was completely unaware of the weapon being handed to Patel. She said: "'I was in my own world. I had a lot going on in my mind."

Prosecutor accuses Ansreen of being a capable liar​

It is now the turn of prosecutor Collingwood Thompson KC to cross-examine Ansreen. He began by saying: "You are someone who's perfectly capable of lying when it suits you. You had some sort of relationship with Saqib Hussain stretching over a period of three years. Did you deceive your husband?"
She said she did. Mr Thompson asked why details of her affair were not in her defence case statement - the document setting out her side for the trial. She said: "Because I was embarassed."

Mahek did lie to police, Ansreen admits​

When asked what her daughter, Mahek, told the police before their arrest, she replied that her daughter had told the police they had been to Nottingham. Mr Thompson asked if her daughter had lied to the police and Ansreen replied that was correct.
He asked if they "concocted" a story about going to Nottingham. She answered: "Not in front of me." She said Mahek never mentioned any story she was making up.

'It was perfectly evident he didn't want to stop'​

Mr Thompson asked Ansreen why she didn't just say to Rekan Karwan, who was driving, "He doesn't want to stop, let's leave it". He added: "It was perfectly evident he didn't want to stop."
She said she had "a lot of things" on her mind. Mr Thompson said: "Was one of those things getting rid of Saqib?" She said no.

Im glad the cross examinations have started. Prosecutor Thompson asking the real questions that matter. Ansreen never asked for the chase to stop. They all knew what the mission was that night, regardless of them all playing ignorant.

They all know there was intent to harm that night. They all know that harm resulting in death is murder.

IMO they are all going to be found guilty due to their actions on that tragic night because Saqib being ruff around the edges does not matter.

Last edited:

Ansreen asked more about relationship​

Collingwood Thompson KC is continuing to cross-examine Ansreen Bukhari. He asked if it would be "very damaging" to her if her community found out about her affair with Saqib. She said it would.
He said: "He claimed to have sexually explicit videos of you. And they were not the sort of videos you would want your husband to see. So the fact of those videos was a very powerful factor in your mind, is that correct?" She agrees that's all true.
He said: "So you didn't go to the police when you received the threats to send those videos to your husband." She said she was worried the police might go around to her house.
Mr Thompson said: "Or were you thinking of another way to get out of the problem?"

Ansreen asked more about WhatsApp messages to Mahek​

Mr Thompson refers Ansreen to Mahek's message to her that said: "I'll make sure he gets jumped. He won't know who did it."
Mr Thompson asked if Mahek was arranging a physical attack on Saqib. Ansreen said that was an "over-reaction" by her daughter.
He then asked why she deleted the messages off her phone. She said she had tried to delete Saqib's messages so her husband wouldn't see them and she accidentally deleted the ones from Mahek. She said: "I was supposed to delete his message but I deleted them all instead."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dylanfoxx
Back