UK - Healthcare worker arrested on suspicion of murder/attempted murder of a number of babies, 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How can one be so sure she is innocent, because you don't have all the inside information?

Many serial killers do not fit the profile of what you would expect.

For me it's not about thinking she is innocent, but holding off on the pitchforks until all the information has been released. She has been tried and sentenced in the media before any official charges were presented. I find that to be a HUGE problem. I am not sure that she is "innocent", but I am also not sure that she's "guilty." We've not had any information presented that proves either so I prefer to hang back and wait until I can form my own educated decision.

The Police interviewed her for what - 2 or 3 days?

They had all of the time in the world to gather all of their evidence before, they've had all of the time to go through her house, her parents house, even the neighbours house now apparently.

And yet they've released her without charge, which means there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever, they are basing it all on statistics and the assumtion that this slight increase in deaths is not a natural anomaly - read the articles posted by Supernovae.

If there was any "inside information" she would have been charged, not released.

Does bailed out mean something different in the UK than the USA? Because in the USA it doesn't mean you are released without a charge--you are released, but the charges still stand.

Yeah it's totally different.

How being arrested in the U.K. differs from being arrested in the U.S.

Because it’s a lot easier to arrest someone in the United Kingdom, but being arrested there isn’t a big deal like it is in the United States. American police need probable cause to make an arrest, but in the United Kingdom, officers can arrest on suspicion. Probable cause is defined as the belief that a crime was probably committed, and that the suspect was probably responsible. Reasonable suspicion means that a right-minded individual would have grounds to suspect that a crime had been committed and that the suspect might be responsible. To have probable cause, greater evidence is required.

Being arrested on suspicion in the U.K. isn’t so unpleasant as being arrested in the U.S. In fact, you’re likely to be released within hours without paying any bail. First, a British police officer reads the offense you’re suspected of and then your rights.

What It’s Like To Be Arrested in the U.K.

How long you can be held in custody
The police can hold you for up to 24 hours before they have to charge you with a crime or release you.

They can apply to hold you for up to 36 or 96 hours if you’re suspected of a serious crime, eg murder.

You can be held without charge for up to 14 days If you’re arrested under the Terrorism Act.

When you can be released on bail
The police can release you on police bail if there’s not enough evidence to charge you. You don’t have to pay to be released on police bail, but you’ll have to return to the station for further questioning when asked.

You can be released on conditional bail if the police charge you and think that you may:

• commit another offence
  • fail to turn up at court
  • intimidate other witnesses
  • obstruct the course of justice
This means your freedom will be restricted in some way, eg they can impose a curfew on you if your offence was committed at night.

Being arrested: your rights

If you are charged, you'll go before a court and either be remanded in custody awaiting trial or bailed (maybe with conditions). Again, you don't have to pay a bond if you're bailed.

Yeah it's totally different.

If you are charged, you'll go before a court and either be remanded in custody awaiting trial or bailed (maybe with conditions). Again, you don't have to pay a bond if you're bailed.

TY for this--it's a HUGE difference between the US and UK and, after reading this, I agree with those who say her name should not have been released. This is really bad.

TY for this--it's a HUGE difference between the US and UK and, after reading this, I agree with those who say her name should not have been released. This is really bad.
In general the police don't seem to release names until someone has been charged. They'll just say "a # year old man/woman has been arrested".

Not sure why this was different.

Last edited:
In general the police don't seem to release names until someone has been charged. They'll just say "a # year old man/woman has been arrested".

Not sure why this was different.

I don't think the police released her name; They just said a health professional was being questioned. The press released her name when her property was searched.

All IMO

These were premature/sick babies that died right? My very first thought with this case was that it was not a crime of evilness, and that perhaps she did it out of some misguided sense of compassion - such as not wanting the babies to go through a life time of suffering/disability etc. Basically she was “saving” them from their futures. This would then make her more likely to fit “the profile” based on her personality.

I’d be interested to know a bit more about the babies involved.

MOO

And could the police be searching for something like disposed syringes?

These were premature/sick babies that died right? My very first thought with this case was that it was not a crime of evilness, and that perhaps she did it out of some misguided sense of compassion - such as not wanting the babies to go through a life time of suffering/disability etc. Basically she was “saving” them from their futures. This would then make her more likely to fit “the profile” based on her personality.

MOO

I had the same thought.

MOO

Wouldn't it still be easier to dispose the syringes at the hospital in a container with a bunch of other syringes? Why would you bury them in your yard or put them on your neighbor's roof when you could put them in a trash bin that is taken away each week?

I am wondering if this is going to be a case of hospital neglect and, due to understaffing and mismanagement, she's going to be the scapegoat. She may have been indirectly responsible, but I feel that there's a bigger issue that might come out.

It sucks that her name got released by the media. We don't really know what happened, but she'll undoubtedly have problems from this in the future if she IS innocent.

I agree that it’s possible she’s being made a scapegoat. But let’s remember that this is not the result of an internal investigation - the hospital called the police. The police have been investigating for the last year. To say it’s a cover up would be to accuse the police of being involved in that.

I would be more likely to accept that reasoning if the police had been involved after a long running internal investigation.

If post mortems were not carried out on the babies however, I would say any case would have difficulty proceeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste