UK - Healthcare worker arrested on suspicion of murder/attempted murder of a number of babies, 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh finally another little update. Seems so strange to think at some point we are actually going to find out all about what went on and what proof there is...I can totally understand people not wanting to follow it being so distressing but think I'm going to force myself to follow it all- I just have to know what the heck it's all about it's too crazy a case.

Yes, quite.

Having to out your own life on hold for 6 months isn't something many of us would be willing to do.

That said, I'm sure there are many people who have got the time and would want to do it.
There should be a list compiled of potential jurors who are ready and willing to serve on long term cases.

I think I'd last about 2 days, especially on child killing cases. I really don't want to hear it all. .....and being on that jury you're going to hear it ALL. :(

The courts do take into account who is, and who might be less able (whether due to their job, family situation, age, health or if disclosed, own personal history), to serve on a long trial or a trial on particular subjects when deciding who to excuse once people are called up. I still think this is a better system than people self-selecting in.

The trial isn't due to start for another 10 months.....so by that time, she'll have been held in prison on remand for what, over 2 years? More?

truly an injustice the authorities will have to answer for if she's innocent imo

Yes, quite.

Having to out your own life on hold for 6 months isn't something many of us would be willing to do.

That said, I'm sure there are many people who have got the time and would want to do it.
There should be a list compiled of potential jurors who are ready and willing to serve on long term cases.

I think I'd last about 2 days, especially on child killing cases. I really don't want to hear it all. .....and being on that jury you're going to hear it ALL. :(

how are jury members compensated in the UK?

based on how its done here I have to wonder, who can afford to not work for six months, and who are willing to be locked in little rooms with no phones every day for six months? very few people. those who are already unemployed, the retired, and the independently wealthy are all I can think of. It really limits the jury pool in and of itself.

truly an injustice the authorities will have to answer for if she's innocent imo

how are jury members compensated in the UK?

based on how its done here I have to wonder, who can afford to not work for six months, and who are willing to be locked in little rooms with no phones every day for six months? very few people. those who are already unemployed, the retired, and the independently wealthy are all I can think of. It really limits the jury pool in and of itself.
Currently, for a trial lasting longer than 10 days, the rate is £129.91 per day in court, plus lunch allowance of £5.71, plus travel costs.

Jury service

Using an online converter, that's $245 Australian $ per day, plus lunch allowance of approx $11 AUD, plus travel.

Currently, for a trial lasting longer than 10 days, the rate is £129.91 per day in court, plus lunch allowance of £5.71, plus travel costs.

Jury service

Over a hundred quid a day? I'll volunteer.

I'm looking forward to this trial. Most folks seen to believe she's innocent and this is some kind of witch hunt, I don't, I think there really has to be something there pointing to her.

I'm looking forward to this trial. Most folks seen to believe she's innocent and this is some kind of witch hunt, I don't, I think there really has to be something there pointing to her.
That daily rate is for loss of earnings, it wouldn't be paid to someone who is retired for example.

That daily rate is for loss of earnings, it wouldn't be paid to someone who is retired for example.

Jury service

So, that's instead of your salary from your job.

Well, that just about covers minimum wage to low-wage.....:(

What happens if your daily wage is more than that?

Last edited:

I think it works out at about the equivalent of a yearly salary of £35K, and it wouldn't be taxable. So I don't think it's as low as you say.

I believe many employers top up the salary then claim back the loss of earnings payments from the courts.

I don't know how many would be prepared to do this for 6 months though as the employee would not be productive. Presumably they may even need to get cover for that role if it was lasting that long.

MOO

I believe many employers top up the salary then claim back the loss of earnings payments from the courts.

I don't know how many would be prepared to do this for 6 months though as the employee would not be productive. Presumably they may even need to get cover for that role if it was lasting that long.

MOO

I think it works out at about the equivalent of a yearly salary of £35K, and it wouldn't be taxable. So I don't think it's as low as you say.

Yes, it covers most of us normal wage-slaves. I was just thinking along the lines of executive managers, medical doctors, pilots etc.

There's certainly no financial compensation that would make people more willing.

I think jury service is a tough call.

The people who are on this Lucy Letby case will have my utmost respect, they must be superhuman. It's a lot of concentration and must be mentally draining after 6 weeks...I can't imagine after 6 months.

I'm in Australia, and I was on a jury 30 years ago. I was then working fulltime. For jury service I (and the others) were paid the same as what we would have been paid at work. So I was perfectly happy with that, especially as it was shorter hours!

A nurse accused of murdering eight babies on a neonatal unit has appeared in court ahead of her trial.

Lucy Letby, 32, of Hereford, denies murdering five boys and three girls at the Countess of Chester Hospital between June 2015 and June 2016.

She also denies attempting to murder five boys and five girls.

Ms Letby, who only spoke to confirm her identity, appeared via videolink at Chester Crown Court from a room at HMP Bronzefield in Ashford, Surrey.

The hearing dealt with arrangements ahead of the trial at Manchester Crown Court, which is due to start on 4 October and is scheduled to last six months.

Two further pre-trial hearings were set for April and June or July.

Lucy Letby: Nurse appears in court accused of baby murders

Can't believe I missed this.

I see she's been moved from Peterborough to Bronzefield. I believe there are some seriously nasty people in there. Isn't Joanna Dennehy in there?

Just reading that 4th October date is kind of mind bending. Seems like she's been locked up for ever already and there's still the best part of a year to go. Insane.

I wonder what Lucy Letby's Modus Operandii was.

With Beverly Alliit, the deaths went up when she was on duty, and down when she was off duty,.....however, that was only circumstacial evidence and not enough to convict her, and it was only when police found empty insulin wrappers and vials from the hospital at her home, was when they could build a case. as the babies she killed had been killed with excess insulin.

I wonder if police found anything at Lucy's home? I'm doubtful, as after all, she was arrested on 2 occasions and released. Then subsequently arrested again. This time for keeps.

So, I'm just curious as to what the concrete evidence is that would convict her beyond any reasonable doubt....?

I very much doubt we'll be seeing any "concrete" evidence (as in the proverbial smoking gun) as if there were such then she's have been arrested and tied back in 2018.

I think you're right in saying that they didn't find anything at her home for the same reasons.

I'm still leaning towards innocent. Medical death cases have a rather inauspicious history of ending up in drastic miscarriages of justice, especially complicated ones and ones which depend on circumstantial or mathematical evidence. This is all of that and more.

I'm still leaning towards innocent. Medical death cases have a rather inauspicious history of ending up in drastic miscarriages of justice, especially complicated ones and ones which depend on circumstantial or mathematical evidence. This is all of that and more.

i would agree...but....8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member