GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure from the drone photos which building was the garage tbh.

I love the way that police put up metal fencing so the press get in their helicopters :D

Bailey-591132.jpg

Its the one with the cars in neteditor :D

If you are right about the two hour window, then I think that lends weight to the idea that it was pre-meditated. I still find it difficult to believe that people's impression of Ian Stewart as a peaceable pleasant fellow can co-exist with somebody capable of conjuring up an entirely consistent cover story (including killing the dog to back up his version of events) within that space of time, and putting that plan into action so quickly. Not if it was a genuinely spontaneous event, and he was distressed from anger or remorse. Everything points to a degree of calculation which is incompatible with an accident, or even a so-called 'crime of passion'. The cold-blooded nature of what has transpired seems to me to indicate that this was planned.

Thanks! I was just thinking I'd love to see the inside of that circular sunroom.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It's a big house for a couple, even if one adult son lived there too. What do we know about Helen and Ian's individual wealth? Am I right that they both sold their previous properties and bought that one together? I mean, never mind the £10k in cash she had lying around, he stood to become the sole owner of a £1.2 million property. Helen had no kids of her own did she? So by being with her, and owning that house with her, and being unmarried, he might have realised he had to either marry her or kill her to get the whole lot. Maybe she didn't want to get married. Maybe he sensed she was cooling off the relationship. Maybe he realised he would financially be very nicely off if the house was just his.

I've changed my mind from my post a whole hour ago about it being an accident. He planned it all, she inadvertently supplied some red herrings, he bumped her off and would have been quids in. Thank god for nosy neighbours is all I can say!

It's confusing alright Cags... I also saw articles that said they both sold properties and bought this one together. But recent articles have said he moved in with her, or that it was her house and he lived there with her.

Also he has a fairly nondescript profession, computer software expert was it? Anyway it could mean anything but it doesn't seem he had a job that he went out to 9-5? Unless I have missed something.

Would also be interested to know what he acquired on the death of his first wife.

It's a big house for a couple, even if one adult son lived there too. What do we know about Helen and Ian's individual wealth? Am I right that they both sold their previous properties and bought that one together? I mean, never mind the £10k in cash she had lying around, he stood to become the sole owner of a £1.2 million property. Helen had no kids of her own did she? So by being with her, and owning that house with her, and being unmarried, he might have realised he had to either marry her or kill her to get the whole lot. Maybe she didn't want to get married. Maybe he sensed she was cooling off the relationship. Maybe he realised he would financially be very nicely off if the house was just his.

I've changed my mind from my post a whole hour ago about it being an accident. He planned it all, she inadvertently supplied some red herrings, he bumped her off and would have been quids in. Thank god for nosy neighbours is all I can say!

The house would only pass on to him if they had joint tenancy, but as long as she was missing, he would have to pay all the costs.
And of course afterwards, if there was a mortgage.
Also, if they were not in a civil partnership, he would have to pay inheritance tax.
But als long as she was missing, he'd probably be left in limbo.

Such a stunning house. If anyone's interested / nosy (and I do love a floor plan!!)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-pr...tml?prop=25921545&sale=779569&country=england

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29951740.html

Hartwell Lodge is a distinguished seven bedroom family residence commissioned in 1899 and completed in 1901 during the height of the arts and craft movement. Hartwell is a beguiling generously proportioned home with four reception rooms, 21ft hallway and 24ft conservatory. The graceful mature grounds (approx one acre) include a swimming pool and a fully independent garage/annexe.

I wonder, if the garage was originally built as stables? Or was it added later?
If the septic tank / well was created around 1900, it would be deep and circular. Think cesspool.
Like a well, but for a different use.

Zazara, would the cesspool still be in use or would they be connected to mains sewerage by now? I was wondering why the house had its own system but the age explains that. I grew up in a house built around the same time in a rural village but it was on the mains by the time we lived there.

After everything we have found out - so many unpalatable, sickening details - the more I`m thinking that he has a very disturbed personality. I believe he thought how very clever he was and that he would get away with it. Perhaps he had reasons to feel confident from past experience?? I hope he is in deep shock that he has been rumbled. Wonder what`s going through his mind right now as he sits in his cell. (I presume he is being held in custody?)
Absolutely horrible.

Hi Michelle, yes he is held on remand and I imagine he will remain so until trial, it's highly unusual for someone charged with such a serious offence to be bailed.

Zazara, would the cesspool still be in use or would they be connected to mains sewerage by now? I was wondering why the house had its own system but the age explains that. I grew up in a house built around the same time in a rural village but it was on the mains by the time we lived there.

The house might well be connected. The are looks rural and empty on one side, but on the other side is the village.
But why did the Police drain the overflow if the system is no longer in use??

The problem might be with the slope of the property. If the house was built around 1900 with a septic tank or well, then all drains would flow in the direction of the well in the back of the garden. This puts the house on the highest point so to speak, at least for the drains.
So if a modern sewage system is built from the main road in front of the house, you have a problem, because all your pipes are going the other way, and water does not flow uphill by itself. Plus you have to connect the system from the lowest point and that would be the garage. According to the info, the garage has a guestroom with facilities.

We had the same problem. The council wanted to connect our house to the sewerage at the side of the front door, but that was not possible with all the pipes leading to the back of the garden. They had to dig a long trench in the backyard AND install a pump on public ground (because the pump was theirs). It was all very complicated and expensive. Fotunately the fee for the home owners is the same in all cases. ;)

I think she may have received a large insurance payout on the death of her husband, I belive he was quite successful and would have wanted to ensure she could maintain the same lifestyle, plus whatever she inherited, such as a probably paid-off home in London. Which raises the question of a will, and now we are really in Agatha Christie territory.

I'm silently reading along. It's just such a sad sad case.

RIP Helen and Boris!

There will most definitely be a Will.

No insurance pay off

No mortgage on London house sale

It's confusing alright Cags... I also saw articles that said they both sold properties and bought this one together. But recent articles have said he moved in with her, or that it was her house and he lived there with her.

Also he has a fairly nondescript profession, computer software expert was it? Anyway it could mean anything but it doesn't seem he had a job that he went out to 9-5? Unless I have missed something.

Would also be interested to know what he acquired on the death of his first wife.

One property sold before the house purchase in Royston, for far more than the Royston purchase price

The other persons property did not sell until one year later, for a much lower amount.

The house might well be connected. The are looks rural and empty on one side, but on the other side is the village.
But why did the Police drain the overflow if the system is no longer in use??

The problem might be with the slope of the property. If the house was built around 1900 with a septic tank or well, then all drains would flow in the direction of the well in the back of the garden. This puts the house on the highest point so to speak, at least for the drains.
So if a modern sewage system is built from the main road in front of the house, you have a problem, because all your pipes are going the other way, and water does not flow uphill by itself. Plus you have to connect the system from the lowest point and that would be the garage. According to the info, the garage has a guestroom with facilities.

We had the same problem. The council wanted to connect our house to the sewerage at the side of the front door, but that was not possible with all the pipes leading to the back of the garden. They had to dig a long trench in the backyard AND install a pump on public ground (because the pump was theirs). It was all very complicated and expensive. Fotunately the fee for the home owners is the same in all cases. ;)
ZaZara, sounds like the septic tank must be in use if the police drained the overflow - but would you be permitted to build an annexure/guest house onto the garage with the sewerage system underneath?

ZaZara, sounds like the septic tank must be in use if the police drained the overflow - but would you be permitted to build an annexure/guest house onto the garage with the sewerage system underneath?

Well, that is the actual situation, isn't it? All I know is that in general, new rules do not apply to old houses in the sense that you have to change the house, unless you renovate it (and it is not listed).

From the description of the house:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29951740.html

Garage/Annexe Ground Floor
32'2 x 32'
(9.80m x 9.75m)
Windows to side and rear aspect
Two up and over doors set
in 14'5 openings
Three phase power
Alarm system
Door to:
Inner lobby
stairs to first floor
Door to garden

Garage/Annexe First Floor
30'10 x 20'2
(9.39m x 6.14m)
Window to front and rear aspects
Guest WC and cloakroom
The floor has been strengthened
and would be an ideal games room
or office space

Not knowing much about septic tanks, i've just had a Google (kind of wish I hadn't) but I couldn't picture how the police had searched the 'Septic tank' but that's it and having only read on here and initially Googled 'septic tank' I was only getting tanks with a perforation pipe set up. I was thinking 'how can that be?' But after further Googling - I realise it must've been a septic tank with a cesspool :( and the cesspool bit is where poor Helen (and Boris) were ... it's turned my stomach. I just don't understand.
55db342c646e5a650fac9a74c3bcb19e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member