GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
mrjitty - I don't think anyone will ever be able to say for certain how he killed Diane, or even if he killed her.

Thanks to everyone for the replies about the Guardian article and what the police knew. I still find it really strange that the police kept on putting out this misleading story about Helen leaving a note, when they must have known there wasn't a note. I suppose they didn't want to give Stewart any hint that they didn't believe him, but the risk is that you also put off other people who might otherwise be able to help (such as the previous owner, who might have been able to tell them about the second cesspit).

And I'm still mystified as to why he killed her. How did he think he could get away with it? Everyone knows that the partner is always the prime suspect. And for someone who was supposedly plotting the crime for a long time, he made some obvious mistakes, like making up the lie about the note and then not acting sufficiently distressed. It's so strange.

If he was born on November 12th he would share a birthday with Charles Manson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JM
And that's before you even start on Joe and Nick.
Did he really think the jury would buy that story? Evidently.

JM
And that's before you even start on Joe and Nick.
Did he really think the jury would buy that story? Evidently.

Yes! It was ludicrous. (The last time I saw such a ridiculous defence was the Ian Huntley case.)

Perhaps he thought there was nothing to lose - though in fact, if he'd pleaded guilty he might have had a shorter sentence. Or he could, perhaps more plausibly, claim that she'd met with an accident that was partially his fault and he'd panicked and disposed of the body. That wouldn't have explained the sleeping tablets, though.

Yes! It was ludicrous. (The last time I saw such a ridiculous defence was the Ian Huntley case.)

Perhaps he thought there was nothing to lose - though in fact, if he'd pleaded guilty he might have had a shorter sentence. Or he could, perhaps more plausibly, claim that she'd met with an accident that was partially his fault and he'd panicked and disposed of the body. That wouldn't have explained the sleeping tablets, though.

Of course one has to concede that he doesn't appear to have thought they would find the bodies, so Nick and Joe were invented on the hoof. But that throws you back to the original question of why he didn't seem to think he had to bother to try to act upset when he was acting out the first charade. Again, I doubt if any answers can ever be found.

I think he thought that no-one would bother much about Helen and that the whole situation would just fade away. I suspect he doesn't understand the depth of emotion that other people feel.

Hi all,
It's been a while since I've posted, but read every single post. I have become addicted to WS.

IS attended Letchworth Grammer School. The original school near the town centre closed in the summer of 1976 and we all moved to a new school (named Fearnhill School) located on the outskirts of Letchworth.
I have a school photo (one of those three foot wide whole school ones) which IS appears in, but not sure if I'm allowed to share a scan of it here.

I also think the Stevenage Leisure Centre glass door incident occurred later than 1978 as it was after we left Fearnhill.
I'm thinking early eighties, but if anyone knows how to look at archive front pages of the Stevenage Comet newspaper, you'll see the report together with photos of IS and what was left of the door.

cheers PTool, I was hoping you were still about and would spot the namecheck.

I've done the 1996 - 2010 follow-on "timeline" but I don't think you knew him in this period of his life. Is that right?

I think he thought that no-one would bother much about Helen and that the whole situation would just fade away. I suspect he doesn't understand the depth of emotion that other people feel.

Agree with this, plus he lost control of the situation with JB becoming involved so quickly.

I think he panicked when JB asked him to read him the note and changed plan a bit on the hoof.

He definitely wasn't going to involve the authorities as quickly as he did either.

Maybe there was going to be a trip to Broadstairs to make it look like Helen had been there, but this was also stymied by JB's swift actions.

In short, I think he believed he would have much more time to set things up than he did.

JM - pleading guilty was never an option for him. There was just far, far too much at stake. Not just Helen. He had no choice but to take a (very slim) chance on a ludicrous story.

Very generous and compassionate observation, Michelle - all that was best about Helen. Think people forget how relatively young the boy are, and now their enduring nightmare of a father in prison.

Thank you Val. We always have to try and remember that these are real people and there but for the grace of G-d...
Having said that, when reading the press from afar it is easy and understandable to distance ourselves and make assumptions. It`s human nature I guess.

Agree with this, plus he lost control of the situation with JB becoming involved so quickly.

I think he panicked when JB asked him to read him the note and changed plan a bit on the hoof.

He definitely wasn't going to involve the authorities as quickly as he did either.

Maybe there was going to be a trip to Broadstairs to make it look like Helen had been there, but this was also stymied by JB's swift actions.

In short, I think he believed he would have much more time to set things up than he did.

From the sound of the 101 call I think he half expected the police to say "I don't know why you're calling, sounds like she's gone on holiday. Ring back if you don't see her for another month or two". I think he really had no idea that it would be seen as a police priority to find her.

I think that's spot on, Squamous, and as LB says in the subsequent post JB took him by surprise by being so concerned and proactive.

From the sound of the 101 call I think he half expected the police to say "I don't know why you're calling, sounds like she's gone on holiday. Ring back if you don't see her for another month or two". I think he really had no idea that it would be seen as a police priority to find her.

Yes, it was like he was reporting a minor burglary. He didn't expect them to do anything.
"I know there's not much chance of catching them, but I need a crime number for the insurance."

Well that explains my creepy cousin but not a dear friend who was a Norland Nanny nor my sunny Sagittarius DiL! The sample is FAR too small!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It doesn't explain your creepy cousin, either, SC. It doesn't explain anything.
I am glad all this astrological stuff wasn't on the thread when I joined - it would have put me right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95