GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
here's a portion of it Lit Up where she underwhelmed you.( I pasted it into a Word page whilst I was updating on here. )

ETA
( Putting the whole Gill Curry testimony up as it's too misleading otherwise. )
Helen Bailey murder trial resumes at St Albans Crown Court with evidence from psychiatric nurse Gill Currey
The first witness is Gill Currey, who is now coming into the court room. Gill is a community psychiatric nurse and approved mental health professional. She has been in this role for 14 years, the court is told. Gill made three statements to the police, the latest being February 1 this year.

She tells the court: “Ian Stewart was a self referral. There was a meeting in advance of this, on May 9, but my first dealing with him was on May 18. “At 2pm on May 18 I went to the address in Baldock Road, Royston and I was with a student social worker. “When we got there we could see police were already there. I parked my car on the grass, which is what Stewart told me to do. “Stewart invited us into the house - two police officers were just coming out and they introduced themselves to us. “He asked us to take our shoes off and we went into the lounge.”

“Stewart just started talking about Helen going missing on the assumption I knew all about it, but I didn’t know everything about it. “He continued to tell us the events of Helen going missing. He said his memory wasn’t very clear from either before or after her going missing. “He said she walked with the dog down a lane near to their home. “His recollection of this seemed clear to me.”

Gill Currey adds: “Stewart told me Helen had told him she was going to Broadstairs. “He said he could clearly remember on that day, that she walked down the lane with the dog, and he assumed she was going to Broadstairs. “After that, I asked him why he thought this. He said she wanted some time on her own. “Stewart said she didn’t appear to have any bags with her.”
Gill tells the court that Stewart told her that Helen had left him a note, saying she had gone to Broadstairs. She added: “I asked him basically how he felt with Helen being missing. I asked if there were any arguments or problems leading up to her disappearance. “He said he couldn’t remember.

Couple 'planned to marry' “There was conversation that Stewart and Helen were planning to get married in September 2016. “He didn’t answer all of my questions. “I asked him if he attempted to contact Helen since she’d left, he said no and that her phone was switched off. “I said how would he know the phone was switched off, if he hadn’t attempted to contact her? “He didn’t respond to this.”

Gill said Stewart had also planned to go on holiday with Helen to Spain. After her disappearance Stewart told Gill that he couldn’t cancel the flights, but the hotel had been cancelled, the court was told. Gill added: “I found him to be very matter of fact when talking about Helen going missing, there was no emotion and at one point he put his head down in, what appeared to me and my colleague, an effort to make himself cry. “I spoke to my colleague about this afterwards. Overall we were with Stewart for about an hour.”
“Stewart said that he wasn’t sleeping well at night, and that he spent his time asleep on the sofa during the day, and watching TV. “He was keen that I should speak to his GP and the police about how the visit went that day. “That wouldn’t be normal for us to do that. “At that point I didn’t feel there was a need for continued interaction with Stewart, I went back to the team and asked for one of the team leaders to come with me on my next visit.”
“I wanted to discharge Stewart from my service, so on May 23 we went back again to his house together with a colleague of mine. “On this occasion he said he was fed up with the police coming round. “I asked what he had been doing since our last meeting, and he said the same as last time, spending time either sleeping during the day or having the TV on. “As to his behaviour, his body language and what was said, I still found him to be quite emotionless and he was quite relaxed and matter of fact discussing Helen

Gill Currey adds that Stewart told her that he was considering going to Broadstairs, as that’s where he thought Helen had gone. “He said he had gone out once looking for Helen, but he found it too much as people were asking how he was doing. Presumably he didn’t want to answer those questions.” The next time Gill saw Stewart was on June 7. “I wanted to ensure he had been given the opportunity to see a psychiatrist again, and to confirm my professional view that Stewart wasn’t displaying any symptoms of depression. “I had concluded myself that he could be discharged from my service. “When we were waiting to see the psychiatrist he sat right next to me, but only when we were called in did he say he didn’t realise this was me. “He said he felt a slight improvement with his eating, there was conversation about him going away on holiday. “Stewart said he was considering going to Palma.”

Gill is asked how Stewart spoke about Boris the dog. “He spoke just about the dog, that he was Helen’s pride and joy - in other words talking in the past tense.” Gill is asked how Stewart spoke about Helen. She answers: “He mainly spoke about Helen again in the past tense, what they were going to do etc. “He’d spoken about the wedding they were hoping to have for September, that they’d booked the registry office but Helen was worried because they hadn’t found a venue and time was coming on. “He said Helen was always a worrier. “Him referring to Helen and Boris in the past tense struck me as quite odd, given someone had gone missing.”

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/incoming/helen-bailey-murder-trial-continues-12561885

the colleague she takes back on visit 2 , on 23rd, is Consultant psychiatrist Ursula Dlugan
NB she also had the social worker on placement witnessing her account of May 18 visit, so you can see where I 'm going with that.

"I had a problem with a creepy tree surgeon doing work at my house. He must have noticed that I was wearing a wedding ring because he asked what my husband did and whether he was around. At that point, I was glad that he thought I was married, though it didn’t stop him being difficult over something else, an argument which ended up with me phoning Gorgeous Grey-Haired Widower and pretending to the tree guy that I was on the phone to my husband who was working away. (He was a lawyer in New York, in case you’re wondering what other tale I spun.)"

I'm just reading that helpful link to Helen's blogpost about rings. The final sentence I've quoted shows the sort of partner she'd have found ideal...IS falls so laughably short of this, that I'm unsurprised she felt she had to be self-deprecating (describing herself as a menopausal frump to his Greek God on the website he was building), and that he appeared to subtly tear her down at every opportunity in interviews. He is a desperately inadequate man, and I could cry that Helen ever thought he deserved her.

do you know how long it took for her to say all of this? And after much prompting from the prosecution, urging her to read her own statement. She did not come off in person as remotely credible to myself or anybody else in the room, including I would say, the jury. She couldn't remember most of what she latterly recalled in her statement (prompted multiple times by Trimmer), and she did not sound like she even believed with conviction what she was saying. Her response to Russell Flint's "you're wrong" was "O.K". It took Trimmer a second pop to get the rest of her statement out in retort. Definitely the worst witness ever called.

Gill curry part 2

Gill Currie is now being cross examined by the defence. Gill confirms that people had been encouraging Stewart to go on holiday, but he was not sure. “Myself and my colleague endorsed this encouragement, telling him we thought it might do him some good. “We suggested he bought a travel guide, planned out things to do, that he bought a relaxation CD to guide him through any stress and tension.” Gill confirms that she first heard about Stewart days before her first visit with him. “As I was his care co-ordinator I would have read Stewart’s notes on the system before seeing him Simon Russell Flint QC, defending, said: “You’re really telling the jury that when you attended his address he told you both he could clearly remember Helen Bailey walking down the lane with the dog and he assumed she was going to Broadstairs? “Yes”, she answers.

Mr Russell Flint QC says: “I put to you this is completely wrong, and that he never said any such thing about Helen walking down the lane with the dog.” Gill denies this. Gill is now being re-examined by prosecutor Stuart Trimmer. She confirms she picked up that there had a been a change in Stewart’s account of events as to the day Helen went missing on April 11. “He told me there was a note and that he was watching Helen walking out, and that he assumed she was going to Broadstairs That’s all he remembered. “My question was why would she leave a note if she was planning to go to Broadstairs.” Gill has now finished giving evidence.

C.Keedy tweets:

Defence counsel asks GC why she didn't pick Stewart up on discrepancy in story about last time he saw Helen ½
Court hears that Stewart told GC he saw Helen + Boris walking away down the lane but that he told her colleague he came home to note 2/2

Ms Currey went to house to see Stewart on May 18th - tells court he started talking about Helen going missing 'as if she knew all about it
GC tells court she thinks Stewart 'mainly' referred to Helen in past tense when they talked eg. 'Helen was always a worrier
GC tells court Stewart said he was not sleeping well + spending a lot of time on the sofa
GC tells court Stewart said he 'clearly remembered' Helen walking down the lane near the house with the dog on Apr 11 + that she left a note.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/incoming/helen-bailey-murder-trial-continues-12561885

NB she also had the social worker on placement witnessing her account of May 18 visit, so you can see where I 'm going with that.
If Russell Flint QC had real problems with Curry's account , he'll be calling the student social worker as witness?

Bah, can't we get the jury to read her on the Cambridge News instead? She came over quite well that way!

Lit Up, was anything said in court about why Gill Curry gave a statement as last as last week? I was wondering if there is any significance to the police taking a further statement so late on?

There have been pics of the sons in the press already, and this one was posted on a public Flickr page that anyone can access, so hopefully it's not against the rules.

It seems it is, hence why I didn't put the link as when I did in a previous post it was removed.

Gill may not have been convincing in the flesh but for me, her statement that she asked IS if he had contacted Helen, to which he responded: "No, her phone is switched off" and Gill replied "If you didn't contact her, how do you know her phone is switched off?" is worth the price of admission alone - and perhaps makes her the best prosecution witness of the lot! If this is an accurate quote from her, it pretty well proves he had possession of her phone.

Gosh, I've never really read anything from Planet Grief that hasn't been linked directly here before, but I've just browsed another entry. It's about how Helen felt one year on from being widowed, and it is heartbreakingly prescient:

"Whilst I am smiling (sometimes through tears), my appearance at the first-year finishing line is less dramatic, akin to a butterfly slowly emerging from a rather ugly chrysalis: there’s been quite a lot of thrashing around, tentative antenna waving and cracking of my protective carapace, but parts of my wings are yet to totally unfurl. There is still a chance that just as I take flight, some passing toad sticks its tongue out and has me as a tasty little snack."

That is EXACTLY what happened. Poor darling Helen.

"There is still a chance that just as I take flight, some passing toad sticks its tongue out and has me as a tasty little snack."

He's a toad all right, and there was never a chance of him turning into a prince.
What a shame his father wasn't sterile.

Helen was always fond of taking her imagination for a wander into the afterlife, so with that in mind I hope she wouldn't mind me picturing her with Boris, sitting on a cloud with her laptop, wishing she could comment on this thread.

Oh Helen. How could he?

Quick question for anyone who has served on a jury.

Do you get copies of a Statements to read?

Obviously what Ms Currie said was quite strong from just reading...I appreciate that in the court room it sounded weak though and unconvincing.

I suppose when it's added to all the other evidence that one poor prosecution witness isn't the end of the world. There's a lot of evidence which goes against him without her stuff.

I just wonder though if the jury could read through it in the deliberation stage and get a different impression of it all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It still seems to me that the one massive piece of evidence that can't be gainsaid is the bodies in the cesspit, plus of course the dog indicating inside the house. So even if the psychiatric witnesses were unconvincing, they wouldn't, as Florrie says, herald the end of the world.

And of course his defence is not that he was of unsound mind, it is that Joe and Nick did it. Plus no doubt they will say he was physically too weak. So although it's disappointing to learn this nurse wasn't convincing in the flesh I cannot believe the jury will suddenly start to believe IS is wrongly accused.

Let's see how it goes tomorrow - thanks to everyone who keeps the rest of us informed.

Thank you Lit Up for all your news from attending court daily with all of the journeys and set-backs you have endured .. and kept on giving. I wonder about the demeanour of IS today? It was a GOOD day in Court for Prosecution evidence - especially IS's searches on POA regulations on missing persons etc.

Thank you Cotton and Alyce for your posting on the Cambridge News and any Twitter - and thank you everyone for all the searching, the bringing up of information that clarifies this case. And the great comments, which I have followed to the letter.

I don't know how to do this - but I have on my timeline one of Helen's favourite songs for Boris. It is on Youtube .. and titled Weiner dog .. I often play it to make days brighter for her and her justice .. and to uphold her Memorial words, chosen by her family. 'It will be alright in the end'. And YES, it shall when we see IS trying to convince the Judge and Jury tomorrow of his 'escaping memory' - his holiday in Spain - his Nick and Joe - his reluctance to walk with others in 'memory of Helen' - his clearing of his computer. His agitation to get the POA sorted and Helen's Gateshead property SOLD.
I would put it to you - IS ... how do you explain your agitation with Police in your home when they are there to support you - and find Helen?
Why did you go to the tip on April 11th?
How could you munch Chinese food - on the day you knew you had killed Helen - and able to pretend that she was in Broadstairs without checking with EVERY taxi company - and not even phoning her neighbour/friend Lisa .. to say are there any lights on the house? Can you - privately (without me intervening in her personal space) check if she is OK.
And and and .. it is a great conclusion on the day that Prosecution closes. (I would have liked to hear from the 'Venues' as we did from the Jeweller - but otherwise it is 'going down'.
And before tomorrow - IS must have a better memory - and a good night's sleep.

Yes it's going to be good to see him squirm under cross examination. I've no doubt he WILL be squirming too by the time they've finished with him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL - I was wondering about that 90's Caribbean colour scheme and thinking - not very HB and not very Highgate.

:silly:..........he he.

Still playing catch-up....but thanks for the laugh.

Poor dear Helen.....I hope IS is crapping his pants everyday.

Quick question for anyone who has served on a jury.

Do you get copies of a Statements to read?

Obviously what Ms Currie said was quite strong from just reading...I appreciate that in the court room it sounded weak though and unconvincing.

I suppose when it's added to all the other evidence that one poor prosecution witness isn't the end of the world. There's a lot of evidence which goes against him without her stuff.

I just wonder though if the jury could read through it in the deliberation stage and get a different impression of it all.

Yes Indeed, during deliberation the jury gets to examine everything that was 'entered into evidence' in the trial. That can include written statements, audio and video interviews, photos, letters and numerous other documents. Even a murder weapon if there is one.

Court reporting can make a witness sound more credible as we don't get to wade through repeated suggestions from counsel referring them to their written statement. Prosecution can't lead their own witness of course, they have to come out with the words themselves. Often that seems hard to do despite subtle prompting. I agree the written statement should have more impact.

Helen was always fond of taking her imagination for a wander into the afterlife, so with that in mind I hope she wouldn't mind me picturing her with Boris, sitting on a cloud with her laptop, wishing she could comment on this thread.

Oh Helen. How could he?

She would have LOVED this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics