GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How much leeway does the Judge have when he winds up the trial? This is only the second trial I have followed so the processes are relatively new to me, especially as my first dip into trials was for the Oscar Pistorius debacle where, even without a jury, the judge completely messed up. I do expect better here in the UK but would be interested as to how the Judge (who I am absolutely sure, like us, thinks IS is guilty) can lead the jury to the right conclusion. I cannot imagine he can rubbish SRF entirely so any guesses from you very clued up bunch as to what he can say that will ensure the verdict goes the right way? Can they be told to disregard parts of SRF's claims?

In the OP case we had a poll which showed, IIRC, 92 per cent guilty of murder, and yet Roux the Defending barrister, managed to distort the truth IMO and the judge fell for it. I know it is different here but when a judge gets bamboozled by a good barrister what are the chances a jury will be too? Have many of you followed such an in depth and at times factually incorrect closing speech before?

Urgh! He still hasn't finished and there is now a lunch break. :gaah:

cannot believe he has still not finished and that they have called lunch! ugsdcsdcvs!!!

ETA SNAP Tiny !

why is Tara saying back at 2pm when the Law pages said Judge B has to attend to another case at 2? can someone on Twitter ask Tara if Bright has juggled his diary? Pretty please?

Also . . . . what WAS the reason for IS to pay a second, follow-up trip to the dump??? Was that ever explained?

This trial must rate as one of THE most ludicrously imagination-stretching in a long time . . .

Lol ! Great mind Cotton Great minds. At least we can have a laugh in the midst of this god awful sum-up.

Lol ! Great mind Cotton Great minds. At least we can have a laugh in the midst of this god awful sum-up.

We got to Tiny, humour dissipates violence. It's either that or we go and punch a wall or sumthink.

can anyone poss tweet tara as per my previous post? ^

We got to Tiny, humour dissipates violence. It's either that or we go and punch a wall or sumthink.

Done:

@TaraCoxCN The Law Pages say Judge Bright has to attend to another case at 2pm - has he juggled his diary so he can sum up? #helenbailey

Oh what a tangled web we weave

Just posting this back up as it is on the earlier thread - no idea how long the other stuff takes, but there are 4 people to be dealt with and looks like two separate hearings.

The XXXX are where I have taken the names out .

Surely Court closes around 4pm ?

The Crown Court

at St Albans
Daily List for Friday 17 February 2017 at BRICKET ROAD ST ALBANS

Court 1 - sitting at 10:00 AM

HIS HONOUR JUDGE BRIGHT QC

Trial (Part Heard)
T20167121 STEWART Ian
41E12190616
PAPER FILE

NOT BEFORE 02:00 pm
Plea and Trial Preparation
T20177028 XXXXXX
41F12426916

NOT BEFORE 03:00 pm
T20170035 XXXXXX
41F12024717
XXXXXXXXX
41F12024717
PCVL HMP Peterborough (Bth1 Crt1)
T20170036 XXXXXXXXXX
41F12024717
Linked to T20170035 - PCVL HMP Peterbrough (Bth1 Crt1)

attachment.php

Damnnit. Forgot to laugh again!

I can pick up on updates after lunch - I'm already miserable, no point spreading it ;)

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 115
How much leeway does the Judge have when he winds up the trial? This is only the second trial I have followed so the processes are relatively new to me, especially as my first dip into trials was for the Oscar Pistorius debacle where, even without a jury, the judge completely messed up. I do expect better here in the UK but would be interested as to how the Judge (who I am absolutely sure, like us, thinks IS is guilty) can lead the jury to the right conclusion. I cannot imagine he can rubbish SRF entirely so any guesses from you very clued up bunch as to what he can say that will ensure the verdict goes the right way? Can they be told to disregard parts of SRF's claims?

In the OP case we had a poll which showed, IIRC, 92 per cent guilty of murder, and yet Roux the Defending barrister, managed to distort the truth IMO and the judge fell for it. I know it is different here but when a judge gets bamboozled by a good barrister what are the chances a jury will be too? Have many of you followed such an in depth and at times factually incorrect closing speech before?
BIB
Can't answer your whole question, IB, but I am absolutely sure the judge will not be bamboozled. He used to do this sort of thing himself, remember, he's been around, as well as being trained to cut through the smokescreen on the jury's behalf.

Blah blah blah
Thought I'd timed it perfectly to get here for 1 pm as per timings advised yesterday!
However defence still on a roooooll (hasn't noticed most of jury have dosed off) and now broken for lunch. Spoke to Mr T (want to claim for petrol refund lol). He said if time permitting Judge may have half an hour to start him summing up. I'm going home because I arranged all my afternoon schedule from 3 o'clock (near where I live so have to leave 2.30 latest) as I went by yesterday's given timings.
I think Mr Flint got a "please try harder" in his last year's report because he is very trying indeed lol

I have been following this case and trial since Helen's disappearance was reported. I have found that contributors to this forum reflect qualities such as compassion, empathy, intelligence (emotional as well as intellectual), humanity and humour. Wouldn't Helen have appreciated such a bunch of like-minded companions?

I don't see the Judge beginning his summing up before Monday now.
Flint has really taken the piss, and I doubt anyone else in court (apart from the defendant) will appreciate it.

I've whizzed through (and now have to go to a funeral) so can't find it again but I liked the idea that Jamie and Oliver would be likely to report a missing pillowcase. Young men, with their well-known interest in running a household owned by parents (disregard ownership issues in the case, the principle remains)? Even I wouldn't be likely to notice a missing pillowcase.
Just a tiny bit of the stupidity of this defence.

Blah blah blah
Thought I'd timed it perfectly to get here for 1 pm as per timings advised yesterday!
However defence still on a roooooll (hasn't noticed most of jury have dosed off) and now broken for lunch. Spoke to Mr T (want to claim for petrol refund lol). He said if time permitting Judge may have half an hour to start him summing up. I'm going home because I arranged all my afternoon schedule from 3 o'clock (near where I live so have to leave 2.30 latest) as I went by yesterday's given timings.
I think Mr Flint got a "please try harder" in his last year's report because he is very trying indeed lol

Ooh, are the jury really dozing off? :D Hope so

Huge thanks for the update Michelle.

I had thought Flint was just trying to get to lunch time,but now seems he's going for the record to last out the day -hope the Jury are as weary and irritated as we are.

He's done 3hrs 20m so far ......... yawn ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieHouston