GUILTY UK - India Chipchase, 20, Northampton, 30 January 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Some very interesting info there Cotton, many thanks.

That answers the question asked earlier as to how the police immediately recognised him on that grainy cctv, when he did not , apparently, have any prior convictions or charges.

I wonder if he sold the flat when he moved out or if the father managed to get it back.

Yes I wondered how he could end up in a Northants rented terrace after owning a property of that value in Chelsea.

I didn't follow the case but heard his sentence in the news and then looked for a thread.

I know "stranger rape" is less common amongst the rape stats, but having lived in city centres in the past it's sadly a fact of life that these kinds of predators
are not uncommon. They are drawn to the clubs and bar areas where people, especially women, are vulnerable and carefree. Experienced door staff know this and this is why the bouncer put her in the taxi.

His tactic ( earlier in the evening) of trying to tag onto a younger crowd of strangers, in order to get into venues where his age/single male would have difficulty, is also not unusual.
An awful, heinous crime and once again, someone incapable of feeling remorse.

Tenniswood was dealt with, by police, a couple of days before the murder, for an unrelated matter.

Speaking on the BBC Radio 5 Live Breakfast show yesterday morning, the detective in charge of the murder investigation, Detective Chief Inspector Steve Woliter from the East Midlands Special Operational Unit (EMSOU), said police had come into contact with Tenniswood only two days prior to the night Miss Chipchase went missing.

This, he said, was how an officer recognised the murderer on CCTV footage.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/n...ious-contact-with-edward-tenniswood-1-7510518

What an utter waste of a young life :( I'm in NO way victim blaming - I'm very much 'women should be able to go and wear and be as drunk as' and be safe but I also want to scream out 'why didn't you just stay in taxi and go home' ... so so sad.

No, it's not "victim blaming", and I can't see what's wrong with saying that people should take responsibility for their own safety.

I can't agree that 'women should be able to go .... and be as drunk as'. People - male OR female - who are paralytically drunk put their own safety and that of others at risk. It is a criminal offence to be drunk and incapable. Women are more vulnerable than men in this state as they are easy prey for sexually motivated attackers . You may not like that, but it is the way of the world and it isn't going to change.

There have been quite a few deaths of young women recently which would not have happened if they hadn't been so drunk. India, Karen Buckley, Caroline Everest. Even poor Sian O'Callaghan who should have been safe getting into a taxi. And also a number of young men who have ended up drowned in waterways.

I look back at the risks I've taken when younger and think, there but for the grace of God ....
Perhaps there should be some sort of rest room in clubs, where people can go and sit and drink water and crash out when they realise they've had too much. Better than fruitlessly looking for their friends in a drunken haze and then leaving alone.

Is is it not illegal to register as a company director with companies house using an incorrectly spelt name. He would have known because he would have to have signed forms.

It is considered to be fraud if an incorrect spelling is used for a name. And, as you say, ET would have realised the spelling mistake when he signed the forms. Therfore looks as though he did it deliberately

There have been quite a few deaths of young women recently which would not have happened if they hadn't been so drunk. India, Karen Buckley, Caroline Everest. Even poor Sian O'Callaghan who should have been safe getting into a taxi. And also a number of young men who have ended up drowned in waterways.

This is always such a tricky subject. The blame in regards to deaths such as India's should absolutely be placed on the murderer and no one else, in my opinion. India's drunkenness definitely made her more susceptible a target to Edward Tenniswood but regardless of her state of intoxication he would always have had the inclination to hurt and kill women. But at the same time, there is such a huge problem with alcohol abuse these days, especially in Northampton (I grew up there) and it genuinely scares me.

I don't drink any more - I'm an alcoholic who has been sober for over a year now - and honestly, I really hate alcohol and drinking culture now, but in my teenage years and early twenties I got into states - much worse than India's apparent drunkenness - on a very regular basis. I did some very stupid things and it is down to pure luck more than anything else that no harm came to me and my friends on our many nights out in the town centre. And it scares me to think that that's all that saved us - pure luck, and being in the right place at the right time, because we did not look after ourselves or each other in the slightest. It scares me because young women should be able to go out and drink too much and wake up in the morning with nothing more to worry about than feeling silly and hungover - but at the same time, it also scares me that we live in a culture where people want to do this so often and obliterate themselves to that level. And I'm not judging, at all, because I spent the best part of a decade living like that, only on a daily basis.

I don't know, I just end up feeling so in conflict with myself, haha. I have always, always believed that women should be able to live the lives they want, and if that includes getting drunk on nights out with friends, then so be it - especially when they are so, so young, because so many people do it and come through it unscathed. I still believe that, because I believe that women should be able to do these things without being victim-blamed. But at the same time, although we want the world to be fair to women and equal, right now it just isn't, and we know that. So where is the line drawn? When should we be held responsible for our actions, or responsible for the situations we leave others in, even if it means victim-blaming? I think some people find this line pretty easily, but I just get so frustrated. I guess in the end I'm just really angry, because ultimately it feels like a woman going out and getting drunk is held in more contempt than a man murdering her. Why does that even happen? Why is it that, in this case and others like it, we still have to find something to demean the victim by, or offer as some sort of proof or justification that she deserved it, even slightly? Why can't we just be angry that a man killed her, that one human being actually believed that it was his right to take advantage of and murder a young woman? I know that we have to have some sense of responsibility, that we have to be sensible and keep ourselves safe, and that women in particular have to be vigilant in doing this. I'm absolutely not denying that that needs to happen, and I'm definitely not saying that all women should be able to do whatever they like with no restrictions or consequences. I guess it just makes me sad that we still live in a world where getting too drunk holds a consequence as tragic as this.

Ahhh IDK, feel free to ignore this. I'm not disagreeing with you, more just word-vomiting out my feelings...! I'm local to the area, I grew up here, and the case is close to me as my brother and a lot of my friends were friends with India. So I'm probably being overly sensitive. This is just something that gets to me.

I guess in the end I'm just really angry, because ultimately it feels like a woman going out and getting drunk is held in more contempt than a man murdering her. Why does that even happen? Why is it that, in this case and others like it, we still have to find something to demean the victim by, or offer as some sort of proof or justification that she deserved it, even slightly?

I didn't say anything remotely like that.

It's just a fact that if people, male OR female, go out and get paralytically drunk, they put themselves at risk of serious injury or death. They can fall into water, stagger into the road and be hit by a vehicle, or be attacked, and all of these things can and do happen to men as well as women.

I feel that we should be allowed to say that these things are much less likely to happen to sober people without being accused of "victim-blaming". I don't think it's helpful for this aspect to be suppressed. We can't bring back the dead, but recognising their stories as cautionary tales may save a few others from similar fates.

Dropped my phone and somehow managed to send a one word comment.
No idea if/how to delete, could only find out how to edit ... so ... while I'm here -

I agree with both of the last commenters

We should all be able to be drunk as we like (though as well as rendering yourself vulnerable, it's also not at all good for your health) and not be raped, attacked, mugged or murdered etc but also, we don't live in a perfect world and every one knows that there are dangerous people out there and you need to make sure you don't take unnecessary risks ...

And if anyone here is also following the Paige Doherty case, her alleged murderer is in court on 18th August, i've posted the court listing on the relevant thread.

I didn't say anything remotely like that.

It's just a fact that if people, male OR female, go out and get paralytically drunk, they put themselves at risk of serious injury or death. They can fall into water, stagger into the road and be hit by a vehicle, or be attacked, and all of these things can and do happen to men as well as women.

I feel that we should be allowed to say that these things are much less likely to happen to sober people without being accused of "victim-blaming". I don't think it's helpful for this aspect to be suppressed. We can't bring back the dead, but recognising their stories as cautionary tales may save a few others from similar fates.

I didn't say that you did. I actually made a point in my comment that I wasn't directing those thoughts at you (because I know I use the general 'you' a lot when typing!) - they were just rhetorical questions that occurred to me as I was writing about the topic of victim blaming, as it's obviously a subject that comes up a lot in cases like these. Murder happens so often to a wide range of people, drunk, high,sober, etc, which is why I think it is interesting that only when alcohol/intoxication is involved does the context of the conversation seem to shift into victim-blaming territory. I find it so interesting to see where people draw the line on personal responsibility and culpability - would we blame someone for taking a shortcut on their walk home and meeting their murderer in that way? So many silly little decisions can actually literally mean life or death, but being drunk seems to be met with the most scorn/blame. I was just interested in opening up discussion regarding that - I wasn't questioning you or saying that you thought those things, it's just something that I am genuinely interested in, but maybe this board is not the best place for those kind of discussions. Unfortunately I haven't yet found anywhere that is!

And of course you're allowed to say that things like this are less likely to happen to sober people! I agree! But at the same time, people are also allowed to view that kind of thinking as victim-blaming, whether you or I or anyone else on this board agrees or not. It's just a really difficult and sensitive topic to discuss. I was trying to voice my thoughts and frustrations on this issue as someone who lives in the area, knows the local nightlife, and has seen the ways in which people connected to the case have discussed India and her death. Apologies if it offended you.

Dropped my phone and somehow managed to send a one word comment.
No idea if/how to delete, could only find out how to edit ... so ... while I'm here -

I agree with both of the last commenters

We should all be able to be drunk as we like (though as well as rendering yourself vulnerable, it's also not at all good for your health) and not be raped, attacked, mugged or murdered etc but also, we don't live in a perfect world and every one knows that there are dangerous people out there and you need to make sure you don't take unnecessary risks ...

And if anyone here is also following the Paige Doherty case, her alleged murderer is in court on 18th August, i've posted the court listing on the relevant thread.

I agree :) I think I've come to the conclusion that my view on it is that in a perfect world we should all be able to get drunk, do silly things, and not be raped/attacked/murdered etc, but that the world we live in is extreeeemely far from perfect and therefore I am going to take all possible precautions to keep myself and my loved ones safe and aware of all risks and danger. At the same time, I've kind of promised myself that if a woman is raped, attacked, murdered etc when intoxicated then I absolutely will not allow myself to fall into the trap of victim blaming or thinking that she should have been more careful, because as well as being very unhelpful it also feeds into this toxic belief that the blame should be placed on the victim and not the person who carried out such heinous actions. If that makes any sense?! Haha.

I agree :) I think I've come to the conclusion that my view on it is that in a perfect world we should all be able to get drunk, do silly things, and not be raped/attacked/murdered etc, but that the world we live in is extreeeemely far from perfect and therefore I am going to take all possible precautions to keep myself and my loved ones safe and aware of all risks and danger. At the same time, I've kind of promised myself that if a woman is raped, attacked, murdered etc when intoxicated then I absolutely will not allow myself to fall into the trap of victim blaming or thinking that she should have been more careful, because as well as being very unhelpful it also feeds into this toxic belief that the blame should be placed on the victim and not the person who carried out such heinous actions. If that makes any sense?! Haha.

Sorry, I just don't buy into this PC rule that victims, or rather their actions, are immune from criticism. People often do contribute to their own misfortunes, and acknowledging this in no way lessens the guilt of their abusers. It's not an either/or thing. You mentioned earlier "would we blame someone for taking a shortcut on their walk home and meeting their murderer in that way?" Well, if they chose an unlit path through a rough area instead of a busy well-lit street we might think it was ill-judged, yes.

You say it's "unhelpful". I couldn't disagree more. We owe it to our children to give them the very best advice on how to stay safe, and showing them how other people have put themselves at risk is part of that. I think the blame-deniers are building a far more dangerous world for young people than the so-called "victim blamers".

I think we are basically in agreement, but the difference is that I'm not afraid to stand up to the thought police. :)

Sorry, I just don't buy into this PC rule that victims, or rather their actions, are immune from criticism. People often do contribute to their own misfortunes, and acknowledging this in no way lessens the guilt of their abusers. It's not an either/or thing. You mentioned earlier "would we blame someone for taking a shortcut on their walk home and meeting their murderer in that way?" Well, if they chose an unlit path through a rough area instead of a busy well-lit street we might think it was ill-judged, yes.

You say it's "unhelpful". I couldn't disagree more. We owe it to our children to give them the very best advice on how to stay safe, and showing them how other people have put themselves at risk is part of that. I think the blame-deniers are building a far more dangerous world for young people than the so-called "victim blamers".

I think we are basically in agreement, but the difference is that I'm not afraid to stand up to the thought police. :)

That's fine! I definitely don't think I'm in fear of the thought police though, haha - these are my genuine opinions, they're not borne out of a need to be PC. Mostly I guess I'm just a bit of an idealist, I always have been! It's one of those situations where we'll have to agree to disagree on some aspects - because like you said, I think we're basically coming from the same place with our views :)

Memorial event held for murdered India Chipchase
12 June 2017

A memorial netball tournament has been held for India Chipchase, who was murdered in Northampton last year.

India was a talented netball player and the special tournament was held at her old school in the village of Pitsford.

The tournament is also a fundraising event for the Cheltenham Guardians group which was formed in the Gloucestershire town to try and keep people safe on nights out.

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2017...tournament-held-for-murdered-india-chipchase/

Update on the investigation .....

the BIB is mine.
Basically, as I read it, it is a long winded way of the police saying they didnt have the resources to deal with ETs possible conviction, hence the reason he was still on the streets

The IPCC also investigated the speed with which the force investigated an allegation of assault made against Tenniswood that came to light in March 2015.

The IPCC said: 'Consideration of his arrest was recorded in June that year but, after several unsuccessful attempts to do so, he was not arrested until 18 January 2016.

'He was then released on police bail pending further inquiries.
'Inquiries into the alleged offence were ongoing at the time India went missing.

In a statement released yesterday, the IPCC added: 'Changes in the way Northamptonshire Police managed detective resources and officers' responsibilities were found to be a primary factor in the length of time taken to achieve the arrest, and the IPCC found no case to answer for misconduct against the officers.

'At the time force systems in place led to some resources being diverted towards domestic violence investigations.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-bailed-two-weeks-murder.html#ixzz4q0Q1tixK
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back