GUILTY UK - Iuliana Tudos, 22, found dead in Finsbury Park, London, 24 Dec 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
i am very new to this ... any idea why it was via video link ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

i am very new to this ... any idea why it was via video link ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It is just a time and money saving process usually. Found this article:

POLICE officers and witnesses will be able to give evidence without attending court under an £11million expansion in the use of video links

Witnesses will be able to give evidence remotely following an £11m video link expansion
The scheme, being piloted across London and South-east England, will see a network of cameras located in police stations and other facilities.

Ministers hope the plans will free up officers’ time by enabling them to return to other duties faster than if they had to wait hours in court to give evidence
The plan will also make it easier for vulnerable victims or witnesses to give their evidence.

The Video Enabled Justice (VEJ) project could be used across the country if successful.

Policing Minister Nick Hurd said: “We must push forward with vital reforms and transform forces so that we can take on the challenges of policing in the years to come.”

Ms Bourne said: “Video Enabled Justice will deliver greater flexibility and access to court time, saving police officers and witnesses up to five hours waiting for court slots.

“We know giving evidence by video works, so now we have to scale it up as part of the policing and criminal justice transformation agenda.”

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/849603/Video-link-expansion-court-evidence-police-witness

Plea and case management hearing tomorrow, if nothing has changed since the last hearing.

Nothing on the court lists for today. Mystery!

He had a plea and trial preparation hearing at the Old Bailey on 4th April.

The court listings say case to be listed for further mention/PAD (pleas and directions) on 17th May 2018.

Can't find any reports on the above.

bit more...more at link

Members of Tudos’ family attended the hearing in front of Judge Richard Marks QC.

Prosecutor Crispin Aylett QC said it was a sustained and brutal attack. He said: “Iuliana was struck over the head most likely with a bottle, she was also stabbed with a broken bottle in the neck, on her abdomen and on her wrists with a broken bottle.

“Although there is no evidence that Iuliana was actually sexually assaulted, the prosecution allege that this was a sexually motivated and sadistic attack.”

During the attack, Lewis extracted her PIN number and later withdrew cash from her account.

Lewis, who was born in Monserrat and lived in north London, had previously been jailed for an earlier sex attack.

http://www.epsomguardian.co.uk/news...r_admits_park_murder_of_barmaid_at_Christmas/

I really wasn't expecting a guilty plea. Hopefully it won't reduce his sentence too much.

If there was no evidence of a sexual assault I wonder what led them to his flat. Could they really have recognized his face from the cash ATM camera?

If there was no evidence of a sexual assault I wonder what led them to his flat. Could they really have recognized his face from the cash ATM camera?
Not sure, he'd have been wearing a hoodie or something I'd imagine. But they'd definitely have his DNA from his previous convictions.

I really wasn't expecting a guilty plea. Hopefully it won't reduce his sentence too much.

I am pleased that he has saved her family the horror of a trial.

It looks as though it depends on when he pleaded guilty. If it was only today then that seems to be a 1/10 reduction on his sentence.

DETERMINING THE LEVEL OF REDUCTION

The maximum level of reduction in sentence for a guilty plea is one-third
D1. Plea indicated at the first stage of the proceedings
Where a guilty plea is indicated at the first stage of proceedings a reduction of
one-third should be made (subject to the exceptions in section F). The first stage will normally be the first hearing at which a plea or indication of plea is sought and recorded by the court.

D2. Plea indicated after the first stage of proceedings – maximum one quarter – sliding
scale of reduction thereafter
After the first stage of the proceedings the maximum level of reduction is
one-quarter (subject to the exceptions in section F).

The reduction should be decreased from one-quarter to a maximum of one-tenth on the first day of trial having regard to the time when the guilty plea is first indicated to the court relative to the progress of the case and the trial date (subject to the exceptions in section F).

The reduction should normally be decreased further, even to zero, if the guilty plea is entered during the course of the trial.

For the purposes of this guideline a trial will be deemed to have started when pre-recorded
cross-examination has begun

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.u...or-Guilty-plea-Definitive-Guide_FINAL_WEB.pdf

I think he is probably being sentenced right now. Court listings showed hearing resumed at 16:22.

I am pleased that he has saved her family the horror of a trial.

It looks as though it depends on when he pleaded guilty. If it was only today then that seems to be a 1/10 reduction on his sentence.

DETERMINING THE LEVEL OF REDUCTION

The maximum level of reduction in sentence for a guilty plea is one-third
D1. Plea indicated at the first stage of the proceedings
Where a guilty plea is indicated at the first stage of proceedings a reduction of
one-third should be made (subject to the exceptions in section F). The first stage will normally be the first hearing at which a plea or indication of plea is sought and recorded by the court.

D2. Plea indicated after the first stage of proceedings – maximum one quarter – sliding
scale of reduction thereafter
After the first stage of the proceedings the maximum level of reduction is
one-quarter (subject to the exceptions in section F).

The reduction should be decreased from one-quarter to a maximum of one-tenth on the first day of trial having regard to the time when the guilty plea is first indicated to the court relative to the progress of the case and the trial date (subject to the exceptions in section F).

The reduction should normally be decreased further, even to zero, if the guilty plea is entered during the course of the trial.

For the purposes of this guideline a trial will be deemed to have started when pre-recorded
cross-examination has begun

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.u...or-Guilty-plea-Definitive-Guide_FINAL_WEB.pdf
I think this was a plea hearing. Trial was scheduled 11 June (or July?).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristenLoren
Back