GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... makes sense though ; no signs of forced entry,because he had a key. Would also explain the two screams heard by a woman nearby.... He must have been waiting in the flat when she got home. Likely knew her BF was away too. The one thing I don't get is the motive ? Glad they got him....

Strange turn of events, but hopefully they have the right person in custody and the family can start with the healing process.

Guardian has a go at Mr Jefferies:

He sometimes sported blue hair and is remembered as being particularly fond of the poetry of Christina Rossetti.
---
In an article written for a school magazine, Delves described Jefferies and his colleagues as "luminaries ... paramours of literature ... profound catalysts". Jefferies, he said, "pronounced interesting places in interesting ways and illuminated Christina Rossetti for us".

Much cold in Rossetti's poetry, much death, much Winter, much longing.

Over the past few years Jefferies became a Lib Dem stalwart. In a local election last year he put his name to the nomination papers of party candidate Trevor Blythe. Blythe, who won the seat, said Jefferies was always on hand to deliver leaflets for the Lib Dems. "He is a private person," said the councillor. "He's not easy to get to know."

Something else to blame on Nick Clegg then!

"He is the chair of the local neighbourhood watch in his area in Clifton. He's well known to the police as chair of the neighbourhood watch. As far as I can see he was fairly well involved in local matters like that."

A watcher.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/dec/30/joanna-yeates-landlord-chris-jefferies

Wow... makes sense though ; no signs of forced entry,because he had a key. Would also explain the two screams heard by a woman nearby.... He must have been waiting in the flat when she got home. Likely knew her BF was away too. The one thing I don't get is the motive ? Glad they got him....

I must say I thought it was him as soon as he was "interviewed" on Sky - think I mentioned in an earlier post that its a sort of narcisstic need by the killer to put themselves in the spotlight - Ian Huntley did the same and several others - I can't remember their names.

I agree with all you say - he knew the b/f was away.

Motive? He probably had some sort of "desire" for Jo. She knew him and trusted him, hence there being no sign of a struggle.

He had a key and probably let himself him - either waited for her in the flat to come home or let himself in just after or she let him in - probably the latter as Jo got to drink some of the cider she bought.

I think Jo was killed in her flat - this would explain why Jo left her keys etc behind when she left - she never did leave - he killed her in the flat in a panic after she screamed and then he dispossed of her body that night or the next as he knew the boyfriend was due home.

I'm sure with today's DNA and forensics they have the right killer and I hope her family find closure but whatever sentance he gets, it won't be justice.

I must say I thought it was him as soon as he was "interviewed" on Sky - think I mentioned in an earlier post that its a sort of narcisstic need by the killer to put themselves in the spotlight - Ian Huntley did the same and several others - I can't remember their names.

Motive? He probably had some sort of "desire" for Jo. She knew him and trusted him, hence there being no sign of a struggle.

He had a key and probably let himself him - either waited for her in the flat to come home or let himself in just after or she let him in - probably the latter as Jo got to drink some of the cider she bought.

I think Jo was killed in her flat - this would explain why Jo left her keys etc behind when she left - she never did leave - he killed her in the flat in a panic after she screamed and then he dispossed of her body that night or the next as he knew the boyfriend was due home.

I'm sure with today's DNA and forensics they have the right killer and I hope her family find closure but whatever sentance he gets, it won't be justice.

Yes, first thing I thought of when I saw the news was that you called it! Good job!

Wow, yes a bit of a shocker.

Yes, it makes sense because he was the landlord and had a key, and he probably knew the b/f was away.

However, they arrested him just based on conflicting statements?? Don't they need real evidence? Did they search for the pizza/box in his flat? (I'm sure they searched his place). I'm hoping they will announce more evidence.

Personally, I DO NOT think this was sexually motivated, although I am unsure if they determined and publicly stated if Jo was sexually assaulted.

Why do I feel this way? Well, I am unsure if i am allowed to make certain assumptions on WS, but here goes...

Frankly, I think the landlord is not attracted to women. If we are talking about a motive here, and he didn't kill just for sport, I would NOT be surprised if the landlord was jealous of JO, not the b/f, and wanted Jo out of the picture. He may have been stalking the b/f. Based on the landlord's photos, profile, and accounts from formor students, I get the feeling he is gay----please read below before you chastize me-----

Please do not see this as a demeaning. It is an assumption--I could be very wrong, and even if I am right, his preferences may have NOTHING to do with why he killed someone, or how, IF he did commit murder. PLEASE do not think I am saying that because someone is gay, they are the killer, or if they do this, dress like this, look this way, that they are 100% gay. Also, a gay person can kill someone with a motive that is UNRELATED to sex or sexuality. I just want to make this clear that I am in no way attacking the gay community or someone BECAUSE he is/could be gay. I would dislike someone for hurting others, not by their personal lifestyle choices.

Great sleuthing ! I agree, I think he killed her in the flat -- LE took away the front door and some floorboards too. As to motive, not sure about it being sexually motivated ? It was mentioned by an earlier poster that Jo and her BF were messy... please let it not be that this "messiness " made him angry... I wonder if he had been in the habit of going into their flat when they were both at work ?

One other thing : where did the pizza go ?

All JMO

People can kill just because they want to kill. Nothing has to be sexual about it.

Yes, I'd like to know about the pizza as well.

I wonder if he just picked her up as she was walking home, and she never did arrive home, then just dropped her things off later, it would have been difficult getting a body into his car without being seen.

My heart goes out to the family, What a waste of a young life, lets hope its Justice for Jo.

Yes, it makes sense because he was the landlord and had a key, and he probably knew the b/f was away.

However, they arrested him just based on conflicting statements?? Don't they need real evidence? Did they search for the pizza/box in his flat? (I'm sure they searched his place). I'm hoping they will announce more evidence.

Personally, I DO NOT think this was sexually motivated, although I am unsure if they determined and publicly stated if Jo was sexually assaulted.

Why do I feel this way? Well, I am unsure if i am allowed to make certain assumptions on WS, but here goes...

Frankly, I think the landlord is not attracted to women. If we are talking about a motive here, and he didn't kill just for sport, I would NOT be surprised if the landlord was jealous of JO, not the b/f, and wanted Jo out of the picture. He may have been stalking the b/f. Based on the landlord's photos, profile, and accounts from formor students, I get the feeling he is gay----please read below before you chastize me-----

Please do not see this as a demeaning. It is an assumption--I could be very wrong, and even if I am right, his preferences may have NOTHING to do with why he killed someone, or how, IF he did commit murder. PLEASE do not think I am saying that because someone is gay, they are the killer, or if they do this, dress like this, look this way, that they are 100% gay. Also, a gay person can kill someone with a motive that is UNRELATED to sex or sexuality. I just want to make this clear that I am in no way attacking the gay community or someone BECAUSE he is/could be gay. I would dislike someone for hurting others, not by their personal lifestyle choices.

Hi

Yes - I see what you are saying - I didn't think of it that way.

The other thing that springs to mind is that the landlord is an very intelligent guy by all accounts - maybe he just thought he could commit the "perfect murder" and outwit the police...

This was and wasn't a shocker for me this morning. I had a strange feeling when I saw the Landlord on TV yesterday, I "lurched" inside IYKWIM, but told myself not to judge on appearances.

I have known people who sound like this landlord, I know his sexuality has no relevance but people who I have known who are like him often seem asexual and place objects of their desire on pedestals.

I wonder whether he had got wind that Joanna's bf was going away and assumed that she would be away with him and Joanna got home and caught him perving in their flat, he was ashamed of his behaviour and lost it with her???

I never thought that the bf did it, never got that feeling...

I love Christina Rossetti BTW

@ Liz.b and badhorsie:

OMG!

The thought of him going into their flat when they were out and looking around or perving is absolutley disgusting but I reckon you're right.

Perhaps that's what happened - Jo comes home - Jefferies isn't expecting her back and he hides.

Jo doesn't sense him @ first, cracks open a bottle of cider, drinks half and then discovers her landlord hiding.

She screams and he panics and strangles her.

But what did happen to the pizza? Surely he wouldn't be so calm and collected and sick as to take it and eat it? I can't see any merit in removing the pizza from the scene of the crime unless it got damamged somehow and was evidence of a struggle and thus had to be removed?

I don't know about the pizza, he sounds like a clever man, so may have felt it needed to be disposed of, but then why not dispose of the cider too???
Maybe he was a tightwad and ate it. Police are not mentioning it now, maybe they have found it, I hope that they make some sort of statement soon about whether they will charge him or not.

Breaks my heart when I see her bouncing into that Off licence, she looks so happy and confident...

@ Liz.b and badhorsie:

OMG!

The thought of him going into their flat when they were out and looking around or perving is absolutley disgusting but I reckon you're right.

Perhaps that's what happened - Jo comes home - Jefferies isn't expecting her back and he hides.

Jo doesn't sense him @ first, cracks open a bottle of cider, drinks half and then discovers her landlord hiding.

She screams and he panics and strangles her.

But what did happen to the pizza? Surely he wouldn't be so calm and collected and sick as to take it and eat it? I can't see any merit in removing the pizza from the scene of the crime unless it got damamged somehow and was evidence of a struggle and thus had to be removed?

I think he may have inadvertently touched the pizza box.And so he had to get rid of it. I think the motive might be connected to his ownership of the flat. As sick as it sounds, he might have had "issues " with the way the flat was being kept. But who knows ?

All JMO

I also had the impression he is gay. that was half of what surprisd me over his arrest so much, what could his motive possibly be? I didnt think she was assaulted sexually, though, because she was found clothed, those type of murderers cant usually be bothered to reclothe their victims. I'm at a bit of a loss at this one. Jo and BF had only lived in the flat since November, I mean, was there a barking dog that drove him nuts or what :|

Maybe she came home and caught him dusting? Or maybe the rent was late?

Don't know, but I noticed that one of of his former students described him as a "stickler for discipline " , and now that statement takes on a more ominous tone.... Am assuming that the "dusting " comment is proof of that quirky Brit sense of humor :)

All JMO

Hi All,

I've been a very long time lurker... since the beginning of the Anthony case actually! Never registered before, but I'd like to introduce myself and say hi from the UK!:greetings:

I just wanted to add something, don't know if this is of relevence, but Joanna visited Waitrose, Tesco's and Bargain Booze... we know the pizza came from Tesco, Cider from BB, but what did she get from Waitrose? This hasn't been revealed... I wonder if this is actually the real clue, and we have been lead up the wrong path on purpose, so to speak?

To add to the conversation, which other posters have mentioned... I think the food Joanna bought was just for her... I am the same age and live in an apartment with my BF too... I've bought that pizza for myself (its really not that big.. large but very thin, more than enough for one, not enough for two) and could happy buy a bottle of wine (not cider, not really a fan). If I was expecting anyone, I'd have bought a lot more food and alcohol - just to be a good hostess :)

Another point, before I go, I am terrible with my phone.. its always off (battery) or on silent (work)... I think my BF would think that either of the above scenarios would apply if I didnt answer the phone... its only 1.5 to 2 days since they have been apart/spoken... I think her BF would have thought she was busy with Xmas prep, and having fun (maybe recovering from a hangover in bed?) rather than thinking the worse - I mean why would he think anything was badly wrong (maybe I'm stange but I'd be annoyed with my BF if he didn't pick up, but I wouldn't go and call the police)???

Not sure about the LL... I will reserve judgement... still doesnt add up IMO

Anyway... hello! Hope you all had good holidays.

Sophie. x :seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member