DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Up to the minute with CJ!

Landlord of murdered Jo Yeates to sue police for false arrest
Mark Townsend
The Observer,
Sunday 8 May 2011

The landlord of murdered landscape architect Jo Yeates is to sue the police force that he claims falsely arrested him on suspicion of her killing.

Friends of Christopher Jefferies say that he will launch a legal action against the Avon and Somerset force over the manner of his arrest and questioning by police investigating the death of Yeates, 25
---
Both Yeates and Tabak, who lived in adjacent flats in the Clifton area of Bristol, were tenants of Jefferies. Friends say that he will have little to contribute to the forthcoming trial except that he took rent from the pair.
---
more at Observer link above

Up to the minute with CJ!

Landlord of murdered Jo Yeates to sue police for false arrest
Mark Townsend
The Observer,
Sunday 8 May 2011

more at Observer link above

Media lawyer Mark Lewis said that it might not be so much the arrest that was the issue, but the manner in which it was announced. "There is an argument that they made it sound like he [Jefferies] did it, while all the time the actual killer was living next door. It was a very high-profile arrest and there was a very high public perception that the police had got their man
."

I totally agree with this. Why did the police target the elderly CJ and leave him hanging in a cloud of suspicion for six weeks. Yet initially disregarding the real culprit whom you would think would be a more likely suspect due to him being younger and living so close to Jo. I hope CJ takes them to the cleaners.

Cherwell quote I'm astounded at the assumptions (some of them completely without foundation, as far as we know) that are being stated as fact by some posters.

He has pleaded guilty to manslaughter which the prosecution and judge deems unacceptable so he is being tried for murder or do you still believe he is innocent.

Of course not. I was not at all surprised when he was arrested, because of his proximity and opportunity as a next-door neighbour. Nor am I surprised by the manslaughter admission. However we still do not know the course of events that led to JY's death, and I refrain from jumping to any conclusions.

Is that right the jury are visiting the flat, is this normal procedure. I can't see them being there just to know how tidy the flat was left or that he rushed her from the door etc. Is there something else in the way of evidence that would fit in with the idea that he was in there when she arrived home. If not through a entrance from the ceiling then maybe it was the partition door. It was reported that the door partition was very thin and was later reported bricked up, which is it . A young couple I would imagine would not take too much notice or bother if the door was not that solid or sealed.

Why did C J leave it until VT pleaded guilty to sue police if he was not involved.

Police are checking to see if the door had been recently opened. This was news in January.

Why did C J leave it until VT pleaded guilty to sue police if he was not involved.

CJ has yet to actually sue the police.

The story from The Observer doesn't tell us anything new. It is simply a repetition of previous reports that CJ intends to do so. It'll be news when he actually issues a writ.

CJ has yet to actually sue the police.

The story from The Observer doesn't tell us anything new. It is simply a repetition of previous reports that CJ intends to do so. It'll be news when he actually issues a writ.

Media lawyer Mark Lewis said that it might not be so much the arrest that was the issue, but the manner in which it was announced. So that does ask what was behind the reason for his arrest. He would better not to bother with it I would think.

Is that right the jury are visiting the flat, is this normal procedure. I can't see them being there just to know how tidy the flat was left or that he rushed her from the door etc. Is there something else in the way of evidence that would fit in with the idea that he was in there when she arrived home. If not through a entrance from the ceiling then maybe it was the partition door. It was reported that the door partition was very thin and was later reported bricked up, which is it . A young couple I would imagine would not take too much notice or bother if the door was not that solid or sealed.

From what I can remember of the Soham murders/Ian Huntley trial the jury were taken to Huntley's house then too - specifically I think to view the bathroom where Huntley claimed the deaths occured. In that instance events which Huntley claimed occured in the bathroom the prosecution claimed was false because of the layout, position of the loo and bath etc. The jury was thus taken to be shown the bathroom for themselves.

Police are checking to see if the door had been recently opened. This was news in January.

I still think that door is very relevant to the case. It was only days after the press focused on VT's flat, that door and the layout of the flat(s) that VT was arrested. I don't think its coincidence that they did this at the time -they've been tipped off.

Whether VT did enter by that door ...well, we'll just have to wait and see but I think in some way VT was up to no good where that door was concerned.

Media lawyer Mark Lewis said that it might not be so much the arrest that was the issue, but the manner in which it was announced. So that does ask what was behind the reason for his arrest. He would better not to bother with it I would think.

A very odd remark I thought, since the A&SC announcement was in the standard format - "police attended an address in Canynge Road and arrested a 65-year-old man on suspicion of murder. He has been taken into custody at a police station within the Avon and Somerset force area and detained for questioning". Can't see anything amiss myself.

A very odd remark I thought, since the A&SC announcement was in the standard format - "police attended an address in Canynge Road and arrested a 65-year-old man on suspicion of murder. He has been taken into custody at a police station within the Avon and Somerset force area and detained for questioning". Can't see anything amiss myself.

Exactly , like you said until a writ is issued it means nothing. All Bravado, but we shall see.

It could be that VT as has been said was already in JY's flat, method of entry as any of the above, and was taken by absolute surprise that JY came back early. As far as we know he knew that GR was away for weekend from CJ as he informed him he had helped start his car, maybe he was also aware that JY was her works xmas drinks evening and therefore, JY's flat would be empty as he imagined JY would return late in the evening from her drinks (it was reported she left very early) and as TM was also at her works do, he thought the whole floor of the two flats was his alone to enter and 'set-up'/snoop/look up emails on pc etc etc. Thinking about it now he could actually have thought he would be alone for a long time there, and then JY returned much earlier than anticipated and caught him red-handed !!!!!!!!!

(Apologies if this has already been posted)

VT's flat is available for rent. Described as "newly refurbished" ...I suppose had they added "newly refurbished...after being ripped apart by the cops" wouldn't have quite the same ring to it would it

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-29859883.html

Here's the flat again on another site

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=1&pid=8762094

I wonder quite how recently that "newly installed" bathroom was installed

(Apologies if this has already been posted)

VT's flat is available for rent. Described as "newly refurbished" ...I suppose had they added "newly refurbished...after being ripped apart by the cops" wouldn't have quite the same ring to it would it

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-29859883.html

Here's the flat again on another site

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=1&pid=8762094

I wonder quite how recently that "newly installed" bathroom was installed

And it looks as if CJ's is still for sale.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29702791.html

presumably nothing happened in VT's flat that night then, otherwise the jury would be visiting there and presumably CJ wouldn't be allowed to refurbish until the trial was over? So VT being already in jo's flat or arriving very soon after she got home seems even more likely.

Would anyone really want to rent this flat if they knew who lived there/next door before? it would spook me, esp. at night.

VT's flat is available for rent ...

It just occured to me, that perhaps the advocates of the 'partition door' theory, or the 'ceiling access' theory, or whatever should (ehrm) arrange for a viewing and go and check things out for themselves.

presumably nothing happened in VT's flat that night then, otherwise the jury would be visiting there and presumably CJ wouldn't be allowed to refurbish until the trial was over? So VT being already in jo's flat or arriving very soon after she got home seems even more likely.

Good point. Confirmation of what some of us have already concluded was the most likely scenario.

Would anyone really want to rent this flat if they knew who lived there/next door before? it would spook me, esp. at night.

Well JY and GR rented their flat despite its previous history. Of which, of course, they may have been completly ignorant.

Some people might even see it has a talking point (do you know who used to live here .....?) And some people won't care if it means a bit off the monthly rent.

No, it has an aura of evil about it, surpassed only by Bates Motel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member