GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's the salt too - in a flat plastic packet a bit like a small pack of compost.

The CCTV from the Ram is chilling to watch - if only she'd stayed there with her friends... d

I think it's the salt too - in a flat plastic packet a bit like a small pack of compost.

The CCTV from the Ram is chilling to watch - if only she'd stayed there with her friends... d

Isn't it sad to see - with hindsight she looks so vulnerable.

So the salt was to sprinkle on the path outside JY's flat and possibly where he was going to dump her in order to disguise his footprints - he didn't know it was going to snow heavily and cover them.

So the salt was to sprinkle on the path outside JY's flat and possibly where he was going to dump her in order to disguise his footprints - he didn't know it was going to snow heavily and cover them.

I reckon so.

Or could he have bought it with the plan of covering her body in it? Had he managed to get her over that wall or hidden in another secluded spot maybe he had the idea that if he sprinkled the salt over her it might aid decomposition by counteracting the freezing preservation effect of any ice or snow.

Among the text messages or comments to friends or colleagues, this stood out for me:

rupertevelynRupert Evelyn

"Dreading the weekend because it was first time she was left alone" Jo Yeates told colleague Elisabeth Chandler

it looks as if Joanna was, at the least, concerned about being on her own that weekend. That could have been because she feared the separation and loneliness of being without her fiance or it might have been that she was actually frightened of being on her own at home: dreading is a strong word.

It must have been the first time she had been left alone in that flat

She and GR had lived together in a previous property in Bristol and according to Mr Y, in an article on 23rd Dec before she was found

It's not the first time Greg has gone away or anything like that

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-12065704

just veering back to the scream discussion a page or so back, i have now read that one of the witnesses comfirmed that the outside security light above Jo's flat was on and notibly very bright when they looked in the direction of the screams.

Rock salt to make footprints disappear...

There wouldn't have been any footprints when he bought the salt - it didn't start snowing until something like 3am.

But he must have been aware of the forecast to decide to buy the salt - and, indeed, the prosecution claim that "At about midnight on the night of the killing, Tabak ... went online and began looking at the BBC weather forecast, then later looked up the location where he had dumped the body."

I think it's not impossible that he bought the salt in order to be able to present a plausible reason for driving across Bristol late that night, had he been picked-up on CCTV. Claiming that he was out to buy some crisps would not have convinced anyone.

a search on the online asda website only brings up the regular tub of rocksalt rock salt

although looking at the video it must be! maybe they only get it in around december time?

is anyone going to shop at asda tommorow, i may even pop in myself!? :innocent:

There wouldn't have been any footprints when he bought the salt - it didn't start snowing until something like 3am.

But is was very frosty. From Julia Reid's tweets today

Father Henwood describes the frosty evening on 17 dec. At the junction of canynge road he walked on the road and saw a woman

Father Henwood thinks it was #Joannayeates - also walking on the road as it was icy. He said 'it's slippy isn't it'. She said 'yes it is

Didn't VT tell the police he had gone out and slipped on the ice? Maybe he had a reason to make sure he didn't slip again?

just veering back to the scream discussion a page or so back, i have now read that one of the witnesses comfirmed that the outside security light above Jo's flat was on and notibly very bright when they looked in the direction of the screams.

And the significance of this is.....?

And the court heard that it was operated by a motion detector device, according to Rupert Evelyn's reports. These devices usually switch off quickly if there is no movement, so I strongly suspect that it was triggered by VT.

I still have this fear that if JY was so worried about being in the flat alone (and the prosecution may have played right into William Clegg's hands by indicating this so vividly), VT may have gone round on some innocent excuse (hungry cat found shivering at his door etc), but JY panicked when seeing a shadow across the kitchen window followed by the security light suddenly going on.

Could she have flung open the door in such a threatening manner (perhaps with knife or ski in hand) that VT feared for his life? He obviously over-reacted, but he has more or less admitted that by pleading guilty to manslaughter.

It will be some time before we hear his side of the story.

And the significance of this is.....?

simply the fact that for it to be on, there must have been activity under it at the time of the screams or just before? sorry i should have mentioned it was activated by a motion detection device, but most are

It must have been the first time she had been left alone in that flat

She and GR had lived together in a previous property in Bristol and according to Mr Y, in an article on 23rd Dec before she was found

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-12065704

Interesting. So if he had been away before, possibly she had hated it and therefore dreaded being apart from him again. But on the other hand, it may well be that she dreaded it because it was the first time in that flat, as you emphasised, and that she was afraid of being on her own there. It was a ground-floor flat with its own entrance, separate and secluded from the comings and goings of the occupants of the upper-floor flats through the main entrance to the house, yet fairly visible, open and accessible from the road (no lockable fence or gate to the side passage, cutting off access from the front). Maybe that made her feel vulnerable which, as it turned out, unfortunately, she would have been right to feel. It would have been unlikely and indeed impossible for him to do at least some of the things he did that night had he had to enter and exit the house through the main entrance.

Another thought: on those other occasions in a different flat, I wonder if she had arranged to visit her family or friends or have someone to stay.

You don't get much in the way of footprints from frost, unless the frost suddenly covers very soft ground. It was the coldest December for over 100 years.

I wasn't suggesting that the salt was to obliterate footprints. I was suggesting it was to counteract the slippiness

Wasn't there a silver car (forgive me if I'm wrong) someone reported by Long Ashton court where someone reported suspicious activity.

There was a "light coloured 4 x 4" seen at Long Ashton, but a 4 x 4 is so different to a Renault Megane that I doubt is was relevant.

There was also the case of the couple who reported a suspicious car in Longwood Lane on the Saturday morning. As far as I can remember they didn't note the colour, type or registration, and I'm astonished that they therefore reported it to the police. Since VT and TM didn't go to bed much before 3am on the Saturday morning, I doubt that it was VT's Megane. If it was, he would probably have had to explain to TM why he was out and about so soon after their late night.

Another thing is that the branches of the shrubbery on the other side would be in the way. He couldn't just push her over the top of the wall.

Exactly, it would be a bad job if the body had got stuck uncovered on top of the brambles. I would say he would have had to throw the body with some height and force in order for it to fall down the other side.

It's looking clearer and clearer to me that Joanna wanted company that evening: hence spate of texts to friends. I read this as being due to loneliness, neither more nor less. But doesn't it make it credible that she might have initiated contact with VT, even inviting him in ? And then he might have misread the signals, and I don't need to spell out the rest of how things might have occurred thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member