GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it does not matter what way we look at it, every suggestion seems too ridiculous and far fetched.

However, it's not impossible that something totally unexpected happened - or will be said to have happened.

Consider JY changing out of her outdoor clothes - exterior light goes on. Must be GR returning, due to the weather making his trip impossible, she assumes as she dashes to the door and flings it open, wearing next to nothing. "Whey hey" thinks VT as he advances - she seizes that hat stand by the door ... and suddenly things go horribly wrong.

Yes, far-fetched, but not impossible - see latest quotes from trial below!

We're now getting details of what is in VT's defence statement.

"the two were facing each other he put arm around her back, she screamed, put her hand over her mouth"

"he held it there for about 20 seconds, he did not intend death or injury"

FWIW, I have a huge axe behind my front door. We live in the sticks and a lot of traffic passes through. Have never used it but it is there :eek:

There's a golf club behind mine, we have a prowler trying doors in the night.

rupertevelyn Rupert Evelyn
Delaney being re-examined by prosecution says "period of neck compression long enough to bring about those signs" - injuries found on Jo

"he held it there for about 20 seconds, he did not intend death or injury" from Vincent Tabak's defence statement. #joyeates
6 minutes ago

"the two were facing each other he put arm around her back, she screamed, put her hand over her mouth" from Tabak's Defence statement

"the two were facing each other he put arm around her back, she screamed, put her hand over her mouth"

The tweet I read stated that he had his hand around her throat for 20 seconds.

skynewsgatherer Harriet Tolputt
Jury hears from #VincentTabak's defence statement. He describes putting his hand around #joannayeates' throat and holding it for 20 secs.
7 minutes ago »

Jury re-shown a photograph of #joannayeates' frozen body. A close-up of her face with snow and leaves around neck and nose.
3 minutes ago

Jury in the #joannayeates trial sent out again while lawyers discuss a point of law.

In that context 20 seconds is not a momentary thing. It's a bit more than "seconds" implies. The jury will be counting it off in their heads.

Oh .... and .... it was probably longer than he says it was.

The significance of these details from VT's defence statement would be that it confirms that the defence of going for good old fashioned common law manslaughter as opposed to taking the diminished responsibility-loss of control route.

rupertevelyn (Rupert Evelyn)
Tabak's defence statement says "the two were facing each other...he applied no more than moderate force on a scale of one to three"

Not enough to kill obviously. not.

Jury back in court. Best friend of #JoYeates, Rebecca Scott has taken to the stand to give evidence #TabakTrial
by skynewswebster via twitter 12:33 PM
Prosecution calls next witness. Rebecca Scott - #joannayeates' best friend.

rupertevelyn (Rupert Evelyn)
Tabak's defence statement says "the two were facing each other...he applied no more than moderate force on a scale of one to three"

Not enough to kill obviously. not.

If you haven't done it before you probably wouldn't know how much force would kill ... until it was too late.

Am I right in thinking that the points from VT's Defence Statement were read out in court after the jury had been asked to leave for a few minutes?

If so, I'm surprised that the journalists were allowed to tweet those details, as they could easily get back to the jury.

itvnews ITV News
Vincent Tabak claims he strangled Joanna Yeates for 20 seconds after she screamed when he put his arm around her, a court hears.

<<Twitter

Could be grammatical error? but I'm reading that as he perhaps was trying it on?

Rebecca Scott, Joanna Yeates' best friend, is about to give evidence. Jo's parents are now in court with her brother.
6 minutes ago

Rebecca knew Jo from 6th Form College in Winchester. She's now a PHD student in Swansea
5 minutes ago

Referring to Jo & Greg, Rebecca says they were the "perfect couple. I knew it was the real deal. Greg and her were in it for the long term"

I can understand why he might have put his hand over her mouth when she screamed but why did her put his hand round her throat? What's the purpose of gripping someone's throat with moderate pressure for 20 secs?

I'm not sure why the defense statement was read at all, as the prosecution is still presenting their case? Is this normal procedure?

20 seconds is a long time.

Is defense possibly admitting to the earlier time-frame?

I can understand why he might have put his hand over her mouth when she screamed but why did her put his hand round her throat? What's the purpose of gripping someone's throat with moderate pressure for 20 secs?

she was still managing to scream with just his hand over her mouth (2nd 'stifled'/'muffled' scream) so he tried to block off the scream at the throat??

she was still managing to scream with just his hand over her mouth (2nd 'stifled'/'muffled' scream) so he tried to block off the scream at the throat??

Backing off and leaving would have stopped her screaming too, but he didn't think of that.

It could make sense I guess if he was in a relationship with her they had an argument and it escalated. As far as we know that is not the case.

Other than him trying it on with her and grabbing her throat I don't see any reason why should she feel the need to scream.

So perhaps he came on to her, does that mean they can now add attempted rape to the murder charge?

If you haven't done it before you probably wouldn't know how much force would kill ... until it was too late.

As I mentioned before, when I had to strangle an injured sheep, I was surprised to find that the pressure and duration required was much greater than I had expected.

Granted this would not be the case if he cut off the blood supply to her brain by pressing firmly and continuously on the right blood vessels. But his description of how he did it, apparently one-handed (using the other hand no doubt to restrain his victim), makes it hard for me to imagine this.

If I remember my human biology correctly we have two main arteries going up either side of the neck to supply oxygenated blood to the brain and two main veins bringing the deoxygenated blood back again. I don't think that shortish pressure on only one blood vessel is going to produce death. And I can't see how pressure on two can be easily achieved with one hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webberry