GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder who that 3rd man in the photos with LORP and PS (is that his initials?) was. Just a thought in light of the arrest plus the possible additional surprise that might come out of all this. I don't have those photos to hand to compare.

On the issue of naming names, it seems that several distinct objections are being made, some legal and some moral. The name given may not be the man arrested. The man arrested may not be charged. The man arrested, if charged, may be acquitted. Naming him may prejudice his trial. Naming him may cause him and his family distress if it turns out that the man named is not the man arrested or, if arrested, is not guilty. Sleuth forums shouldn’t have given the name to the media. The media shouldn’t have given the name to the sleuth forums, etc.
Some of this is just daft. Obviously the name was going to come out. If it’s “very regrettable”, it’s regrettable like wasps at a picnic: unfortunate but inevitable.
And if it turns out that the name given is wrong, the error will be very quickly and 100% rectified by the revelation of the real name. A person so misidentified would not suffer 1% of the distress that Greg Reardon has undergone at the hands of imaginative cybersleuths.
Nor do I buy the idea that this is a temporary hiccup like the CJ arrest. The police announcement, with its references to the Yeates family and Greg, sounded to me very different. This time they have made no mistake. (Not that we have yet been informed that the arrest of CJ was a mistake – far from it.)
Damaging the reputation of persons who may be innocent is certainly wrong and some people have unfortunately done it on this forum. That should not happen again but probably will.
But what is immediately urgent is not to prejudice the trial. That will not be done by naming the arrested man but by saying stupid things about him such as that he looks like a murderer or has taken an absurd length of time to get his PhD. or that he probably did or didn’t use the sock.

I have his photograph. I suppose it is not cool to post it.

Well it's got to the stage now where someone has linked to the rumoured arrest man's Facebook on Twitter. I hope it is him.

I'm late for work.

But Googling his name via Google's new RealTime search brings it up. In fact, it's all over Twitter.

Such is the new Information Age.

I didn't know there was anyone else living in the building except GR, Joanna and the LL. Now I know there were other people there.

Also for a while, we didn't get much info about all Jo's friends and neighbours so not much clues for the public to go on except what the media told us.

article-1348832-0CD6F642000005DC-780_634x332.jpg

It looks like one of them did a quick stealth move into P.S's garden for this sneaky shot.

According to ITN news the arrest took place half a mile from where Jo Yeates lived. There is a forensic van parked on the drive of that property. The reporter went on to say he has visited the location which is not far from Jo Yeates flat.

The police state they have arrested someone on suspicion of murder. Naming that person isn't contempt of court, it's merely a statement of fact (or belief). Of course, naming the wrong person would be libellous, but then publishing allegations that GR, FR, CY or indeed Bernard the cat committed the crime are equally potentially libellous and that doesn't seem to have bothered a lot of people. Once someone is charged with an offence it would be contempt to publish statements that suggested in any way that the individual concerned is guilty of the offence. The same rules should apply when someone (whether named or not) is arrested on suspicion of committing the offence but, as we have seen recently, the media (both formal and informal) have rather pushed the envelope on that one. I suspect that A&SC are hoping that by deliberately witholding the name, they may well be able to put this one to bed and charge 'em, before anyone has a chance to spreading the usual gossip.

Lets get this straight, does this (deleted) actually live in the flats?
How come he's never been mentioned before?
It's all rather puzzling.

I didn't know there was anyone else living in the building except GR, Joanna and the LL. Now I know there were other people there.
Also for a while, we didn't get much info about all Jo's friends and neighbours so not much clues for the public to go on except what the media told us.

Very few people here seemed even to consider the neighbours.
It was pretty easy to find out about all the other people living close by.
Some of us were busy doing this while others were accusing the bf (mostly because they didn't like the look of him).

From the Daily Mail article:

'As part of the statement released to confirm the arrest this morning, police gave a firm instruction to media outlets covering the case.

It read: 'Proceedings are active and everyone is reminded of the Contempt of Court Act and therefore you will understand that we cannot discuss any more details at this stage.'

Something to bear in mind as this applies to blogs and forums like this one.

Some of us were busy doing this while others were accusing the bf (mostly because they didn't like the look of him).

Hmmm. I think that's a bit unfair tbh. Whilst many felt GR was the most likely suspect/perp, most also considered amongst others RS, MW neighbours etc. With the little info to hand, it wouldn't have been wise to rule out all options.

I am sure his girlfriend is over the moon that she has been named too.

This is irresponsible reporting! Not you Phil, but the article.

The subject has been arrested on suspicion of murder.
There is nothing prejudicial in that report.

And what would you have had to say if people started posting personal information about the next door neighbour, and theorising about whether his ‘credentials’ rendered him capable of murder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member