Found Deceased UK - John Dick, 37, missing Marine, Bury St Edmunds, 30 Nov 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ex-marine reported missing now wanted by police - BBC News

A Norfolk Police statement said: "Following a number of weeks of inquiries by our colleagues in Suffolk, John is no longer being treated as a missing person.

"Officers in Norfolk investigating the serious assault in which a man suffered a stab wound have exhausted options trying to relocate and re-arrest John, which has led to us circulating a public appeal for information concerning his whereabouts."

Last edited:
I've just had a look back and I've never noticed this before but the family appeals were always urging people to contact Suffolk Police but then, on 5th December last year, his wife said Norfolk Police and then repeated appeals have sometimes been Suffolk, sometimes Norfolk, more recently always Norfolk, so they have obviously known about him being wanted pretty much from the start in my opinion.

Ex-marine reported missing now wanted by police - BBC News

A Norfolk Police statement said: "Following a number of weeks of inquiries by our colleagues in Suffolk, John is no longer being treated as a missing person.

"Officers in Norfolk investigating the serious assault in which a man suffered a stab wound have exhausted options trying to relocate and re-arrest John, which has led to us circulating a public appeal for information concerning his whereabouts."
Stab wound!

"Re-arrest" jumps out as well

Just had a look at a few and yes, Norfolk Police use the same grey background as Suffolk Police for their mugshots. Those two forces are close, not just in proximity (there's always talk of a possible merger) so I guess it was taken by Norfolk Police after the stabbing then released by and credited to Suffolk Police as part of their missing person appeals.

So, do we think he stabbed someone, got arrested, held, interviewed, presumably bailed then went on the run? Is that really feasible in a 24 hour period?

I suppose it is. I do watch 24 Hours in Police Custody y'know. LOL.

Last edited:
It almost reads that they were not originally sure of his involvement but have investigated and determined he was involved so now want to arrest him.

Maybe he was arrested for possibly being involved, released (or bailed), does a runner and becomes a missing person. But then police determine he was actually the guy that did the stabbing and therefore becomes a wanted criminal.

I wonder if the victim was his business partner...maybe a corrupt man and the business was going down the swanny. Family said he was under extreme stress prior to disappearing. Or his wife was having an affair as in earlier reports I'm sure it said she and the kids weren't living with him when he disappeared. I've always thought he was dead via suicide until this info came out!

Last edited:
From memory early in the thread someone said that this business partner wasnt exactly going out of his way sharing posts or raising any concern for John missing. I thought his business partner lived in Kent. I found no accounts filed this year for Lupine. Yes the family home is Stevenage so if John was missing from there then thats the Herts police. So John may well of been staying outside the family home for other police counties to get involved.
Yes John was undergoing a large amount of stress before he disappeared and he doesnt really have any mental issues PST. What bothered me most about the case was the police response to look for John. 30 days wait for the cctv from the train. This makes it harder to get further CCTV. I have seen cctv up that day or next day in M.P cases. Also they have recently told the family (before the wanted poster)they are not actively looking for John having exhausted all leads. As we know John is quiet high up with some intel, special forces background / bodyguard special protection company. The picture of John standing guard outside number 10 also indicates his high rank. I always thought perhaps there was a hot potato somewhere down the line. Perhaps the release of this information of the alleged attack might of only been mentioned to the police because of some end of year tax reasons.

There is clearly more to this than what meets the eye.

From what I understand, John was under significant stress due to concerns around his work and business in the latter part of last year.

John was arrested following an alleged assault (?business partner) and he subsequently goes missing immediately following initial arrest.

After being reported missing, Police were delayed in their enquiries with following up cctv etc and so John can only be traced as far as Dovercourt, which was not anywhere close to where his family were located.

It goes that now John has not presented as part of a bail condition - he is now wanted, whereas previously he was considered as ‘missing’.

Different constabularies will be in play here, according to their jurisdiction in which alleged offences are investigated.

It is clear John is a family man - I would suggest such a man would rather face court than go missing; subjecting his wife, family and friends to cruel uncertainty. A GBH charge, as serious as it can be, could be viewed as little in comparison to never seeing your family again.

My opinion is that his disappearance is rather linked to his business concerns and events leading up to the alleged assault, rather than simply running from the law.
I feel that if this is the case, then the narrative for any investigation into his whereabouts is skewed, and it would be more helpful to focus on his recent business history as this will likely lead to more helpful avenues of inquiry: The sole narrative that he is simply a fugitive who is on the run following an assault, is too simplistic and likely won’t help finding him.

Aside:
There is nothing anywhere suggesting his wife was having an affair - this seems like speculation taken from this thread.

With regards to living apart from his family, my speculation would be that perhaps it is possible that he felt under threat and temporarily was living apart from his family in order to protect them. This wouldn’t be unreasonable, given the nature of his work.

Last edited:

From what I understand, John was under significant stress due to concerns around his work and business in the latter part of last year.

John was arrested following an alleged assault (?business partner) and he subsequently goes missing immediately following initial arrest.

After being reported missing, Police were delayed in their enquiries with following up cctv etc and so John can only be traced as far as Dovercourt, which was not anywhere close to where his family were located.

It goes that now John has not presented as part of a bail condition - he is now wanted, whereas previously he was considered as ‘missing’.

Different constabularies will be in play here, according to their jurisdiction in which alleged offences are investigated.

It is clear John is a family man - I would suggest such a man would rather face court than go missing; subjecting his wife, family and friends to cruel uncertainty. A GBH charge, as serious as it can be, could be viewed as little in comparison to never seeing your family again.

My opinion is that his disappearance is rather linked to his business concerns and events leading up to the alleged assault, rather than simply running from the law.
I feel that if this is the case, then the narrative for any investigation into his whereabouts is skewed, and it would be more helpful to focus on his recent business history as this will likely lead to more helpful avenues of inquiry: The sole narrative that he is simply a fugitive who is on the run following an assault, is too simplistic and likely won’t help finding him.

Aside:
There is nothing anywhere suggesting his wife was having an affair - this seems like speculation taken from this thread.

With regards to living apart from his family, my speculation would be that perhaps it is possible that he felt under threat and temporarily was living apart from his family in order to protect them. This wouldn’t be unreasonable, given the nature of his work.
This seems the most logical...I was just thinking out load re an affair as a possible thing but this seems absolutely the right lines!

Aside:

I agree. I believe I read that his family were staying in Norfolk. He went missing from Bury st Edmonds Suffolk. I think he was living apart from his family because of fears for their safety given his line of work. Perhaps the stabbing was self defence if he had someone after him?

Do we all think he's still alive? I did think dead by his own hand until this twist came out

Yes, if anyone can sort out a 2nd life it’s John with his extensive military and also some roles in intelligence. Sounds to me it was planned, maybe a hit and run which probably John failed to cause more serious harm. John’s dad has said John has had a lot of bad luck in his life. I always thought he got a military boat and maybe off to Holland. He is quite distinctive to blend in with society in the UK. This did not happen the same night. His phone was on a couple of days after he disappeared I think in the Dovercourt area. We were told he bought something during this time, this never released unless it was a general dd going out of his account.

By the way his wife and family talks about him he's a loving father, son, brother and husband. How long could he keep a new life going as it must be killing him knowing he is upsetting everyone so much, especially his children. Running away is going to go against him too if he does ever get caught. Unless he has been in contact and they are keeping up the facade to protect him

I think he purposely went to dovercourt to throw people off the sent. I did think it was strange a guy with all his training would be caught on CCTV barely hours after his disappearance.

I live in dovercourt and it's location means you can't go any further as you hit the sea. If he wanted to get the boat he'd have jumped off at Harwich international the stop before. If he wanted to get another boat, maybe a personal boat he'd have likely got off at Harwich town as dovercourt is a beach area.

I think he got off on at dovercourt, met someone there and then went somewhere completely different.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back