UK - Julia James, 53, murdered, Snowdown, Kent, 27 April 2021 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like the bridleway is used by the farmer to get from one field to another looking at the tractor tracks from the satellite view on google --> Google Maps

Without being familiar with Julia's walking habits (and I'm not a dog expert so not sure how long a walk a 9 year old Jack Russell would typically be able to manage - I'd have imagined not too far?) I'd guess that she was making an anti-clockwise circuit of the field and that she'd probably have stuck to the smaller path outside the woods, where she was found - MOO

As a former Jack Russell and horse owner a healthy nine year old will be able to follow a rider on a horse for a couple of hours, never underestimate a russel, they are brave energetic and protective. I do wonder though if the attacker have any dogbites. Was the dog on leash or roaming freely?

This massive leap to concluding that due to lack of phone/GPS data it's a local person who left their phone at home seems a bit ridiculous to me. Have they considered it might be a non-local person who just turned their phone off to avoid detection while in the area!

Edit: or indeed doesn't have a phone as @MissUnderstood says

BBM "Ms James's killer may have deliberately left their phone at home to avoid being traced as desperate police stopped cars in the hope of a breakthrough, it has been revealed.

A lack of GPS data close to where the mother-of-two was bludgeoned to death in a Kent village north of Dover suggests that her attacker is 'local' and a man, a source claimed."
I guess the killer's phone could fall out of their pocket if the victim struggled during the attack - kept phone at home

Notwithstanding my earlier comments, I personally think the chaotic crime scene with the body left in plain sight points as much to a killer who knew they were about to be disturbed and needed to get away fast as to someone who is mentally disordered and doesn't know what they're doing.

My gut instinct with this case from the outset - and I realise gut instinct is virtually worthless unless perhaps you're an experienced LE investigator - has been that this began as an everyday male-on-female microaggression. I know some of the men on the thread find that concept offensive, but it's a real thing that nearly every woman puts up with on a regular basis. I feel that Julia was approached by someone who tried to harrass or intrude on her in some way, perhaps a flasher, and I think that she may have reacted to that - perhaps reflexively - in a way that sadly escalated matters. Perhaps she tried to photograph him with her phone. Perhaps she laughed. Perhaps the dog went for him and he kicked it and she lost her temper. Who knows.

We do know that some crimes are gateway crimes that can be part of an escalating pattern, and that flashing/indecent exposure is one of them, and we can infer from that that a perpetrator who escalates from that to sexual assault or murder is at some point going to go further than their history suggested they would - in other words, there will be a particular incident that with retrospect marks the point at which they escalated. I feel that this may turn out to be that event.

The circumstances - lone woman walking small dog, isolated spot with woodland cover - make this a plausible scenario. It's only the way it ended up that makes it remarkable. If she had gone home safe and sound and reported being flashed at, no one would have been very surprised imo.

Whether you regard that kind of perpetrator as mentally ill is an interesting debate. It's my view that most murderers are mentally unwell to some degree - in the sense that homicide isn't a 'normal' reaction to conflict for most of us. But I know lot of people reject that analysis as 'excusing' the actions of 'evil' people, which in turn is a narrative I can't myself get on board with. Escalating from not being a murderer to being a murderer might be a sign that a psychiatric disorder has gone undiagnosed, but might equally be a sign of tragically poor impulse control.

The real mystery, of course, is what happened to the perpetrator afterwards. I can see him seeing or hearing others near at hand (and there clearly were people nearby given how quickly she was found) and we might assume a fit, young, probably male attacker who could move fast and may well have known the area. So if the station CCTV reveals nothing, I think we would be looking at an overland escape. I don't know the area at all, but looking at it aerially I would think that the possibilities are almost endless.

Have appeals have been made for sightings of anyone in bloodstained clothing? I think I would be looking for that over quite a radius, but I also wouldn't underestimate how oblivious people can be.

As for the Chillenden connection, it was so long ago I really can't see it being the same perp. Even if there were to be a SK operating in the area over a long period, you would think that their MO would evolve over time with their profile (their age and agility if nothing else). And if it didn't, and their predilection for bludgeoning women walking dogs at 3pm on Tuesdays remained unchanged over time, where are all the other victims? It doesn't really make sense to me as a hypothesis, although it's quite a coincidence, I agree.

All speculative and JMO, of course.
Why are we assuming that the perpetrator was a man.

I guess the killer's phone could fall out of their pocket if the victim struggled during the attack - kept phone at home
It’s possible that that statement has been put out deliberately for someone to retort “No I didn’t” as to lure them in . Sometimes we have to look at the bigger picture and not all is as it seems. The police will undoubtedly know more than they are saying, even if what leads they do have are minimal

Why are we assuming that the perpetrator was a man.
You are correct
It could be a woman however, 93% of British Murders are committed by men so although a woman can’t be ruled out, it’s more likely than not, to be a male perpetrator. Plus the violence inflicted is also usually an indicator as to Sex albeit it is only an indicator.

New photo released in hunt for PCSO killer

The image shows Julia walking her Jack Russell, Toby, while wearing a light blue waterproof coat, blue jeans and dark coloured Wellington-style brown boots.

Apart from the gloves, it is the same clothing she was wearing on Tuesday, April 27.
The article says significant head injuries. Do people go up there with off road vehicles or does it mean she was hit over the head with an object. I live in the countryside and there are often people speeding around where they shouldn't be on off road four wheels.

As a former Jack Russell and horse owner a healthy nine year old will be able to follow a rider on a horse for a couple of hours, never underestimate a russel, they are brave energetic and protective. I do wonder though if the attacker have any dogbites. Was the dog on leash or roaming freely?
I am glad you replied to this because I was thinking the same- Jack Russell dogs are like the Duracell bunny , they keep on going and going and going

The article says significant head injuries. Do people go up there with off road vehicles or does it mean she was hit over the head with an object. I live in the countryside and there are often people speeding around where they shouldn't be on off road four wheels.
I have read somewhere that it was blunt force trauma which usually means a specific weapon

How likely would it be for the injury inflicted on Julia not to bleed and therefore the culprit not to have blood stained clothing?
It’s more likely that not to have bled if it has been sufficient to cause death albeit not impossible. The blood on the offenders clothing is a totally different scenario because it’s dependant upon many things - weapon used, angle of the weapon when used, trajectory of blood, amount of blood, etc

It’s more likely that not to have bled if it has been sufficient to cause death albeit not impossible. The blood on the offenders clothing is a totally different scenario because it’s dependant upon many things - weapon used, angle of the weapon when used, trajectory of blood, amount of blood, etc

Thanks for replying.

How likely is it that the police have recovered a DNA sample from the culprit? If they do have a sample do you think the police might ask all local men to volunteer to have a test?

Not all people have a phone, how can they state it’s a local who left their phone home. Could it just as easily be a drifter with no phone? I think they definitely know more than we are hearing!
Moo

I thought, too, that there might be other explanations for not having a phone with them. I often forget to take my phone with me when I go out. I don't mind if I only go to the local shop, but if I end up walking further I kick myself for not thinking to bring it with me.

But that article only said that's one possibility for the reason why there's no pings close to Julia's position at the time of her murder (or no pings that they can't explain). I hope it means they're developing a profile, and if so it's nothing like the one I was developing, and I hope it can help find the killer...asap.

I have read somewhere that it was blunt force trauma which usually means a specific weapon
My possible thought about her being run over by someone on a bike or four wheel can be dismissed as the vehicle being used as a weapon as the description is blunt force trauma. I just listened to the police update that has been shared and it is a possibility someone used an off road vehicle to get to the place she was killed as in a remote area. There is also the possibility that she was killed at home and taken to the woods by the perpetrator as she was on her own. Do we know if anyone actually saw Julia on the walk or if she spoke to anyone before she left the house to say she was walking the dog.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying.

How likely is it that the police have recovered a DNA sample from the culprit? If they do have a sample do you think the police might ask all local men to volunteer to have a test?
I don’t mean any disrespect toward you and your initial question about DNA recovery from the suspect but it really is like saying “How long is a piece of string “. DNA from the suspect will be dependent upon many factors - how planned was the attack? , Was it rushed or did the suspect take their time?, Was it a frenzied attack? , Did Julia fight back and manage to scratch the suspects skin and get it under her fingernails ?
Can you see the point that I am
Making?

Having regards to the second part of your question about a MASS DNA TEST. This would only be considered once all other avenues have been exhausted. Mass DNA testing, although it takes place , is difficult to enforce and there are always people who have nothing to do with the crime that took place, that refuse on the basis of it being an infringement of their Human Rights and the right to their privacy . The difficulty then is does it narrow down a suspect because they refuse or is it simply the privacy aspect ?
Then what parameters do you set for who to test? What age group? Etc
Mass DNA testing is very very costly and even though all resources are thrown at any murder , there is still a need to consider budgets and the fact that members of the public are duty bound to be given a quality service but within budget because, after all its the public’s taxes that pay for our Police and the SIO has to ensure that the public get value for money for every £1 that they contribute so this cannot be spent on a fishing expedition. It has to be focused and intelligence and evidence driven and as I said , more of a last resort when all other less costly avenues have been explored . In the first hours of a murder investigation the SIO along with the Forensic scene of crime manager will make decisions as to which Forensic evidence to fast track to get a speedy response. This first few days will run into tens of thousands of pounds on Forensic submissions alone and that’s before you add in Police Constables and Police Sergeants overtime hours ( Inspector and above are not paid for any overtime that they perform), and that is Police officers from many different departments, Detectives, Dog Handlers, Horses, Air Support, Search trained officers , Neighbourhood reassurance officers, Forensic staff etc
I hope that helps to answer your questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member