GUILTY UK - Karen Buckley, 24, Glasgow, Scotland, 12 April 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's the sentencing which means as he's plead guilty already there will be no trial. The judge will decide on the sentencing and it should in theory conclude quite quickly tomorrow.

I hope he gets a minimum of 25 years with no parole.

Thank you, enery12. Understood now.

Good then. Yes, I hope it will be 'short and sweet' for that . It´s a pity that the UK justice sistem like in my

country and in others is too leniente and although in the UK they have life sentences it never means life... Let´s

hope he gets the maximum of the maximum possible.

Here in Portugal it is even worse. Not only we don't have life sentences, but also the maximum - 25 years - is never

achieved. Not even near :gaah:

It is very difficult to find judges with 'balls' to give the 25 years. And then, even if it happens, sometimes they

leave at half the time for their good behaviour. I hate this criminal sistem.

The good thing is that we don´t have a high crime rate...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/karen-buckleys-twisted-killer-alexander-6266097

Dr Tagg said she is sure there are more past victims out there.

She added: “Pacteau is a serial killer in the making, there’s no doubt about it. The best prediction of future behaviour is past behaviour.

“He is definitely a sociopath and quite possibly a psychopath, he shows no guilt or remorse.

"With this attack, he was re-enacting rage against women in general, or one woman in particular.

“He must be carefully monitored for the foreseeable future.

"From the first allegation in 2011, he has dramatically escalated and I find it very strange that he hasn’t committed any offences between the ages of 17 and 21.

“In my view, as a psychologist, he will continue to pose a significant threat to women.

"We also have to ask if there are other young women out there who have been too afraid to come forward and report what he has done to them.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/karen-buckley-killer-alexander-pacteau-6249587

Twisted murderer Alex Pacteau was caught rifling through the underwear of one of his pals’ mums at a party.

More chilling details about Karen Buckley’s killer emerged as close pals of the former Glasgow private schoolboy are said to be “very disturbed” by what their former friend has proved capable of.

A source close to Pacteau, 21, also told how money would vanish at house parties he was invited to and he became known by many as a “liar, thief and a bully”, the Daily Record reported.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/karen-buckley-killer-alexander-pacteaus-6271278

The mother of Karen Buckley's killer Alexander Pacteau has said that an apology to the tragic student's family wouldn't be enough.

The 21-year-old is being separated from other prisoners in HMP Barlinnie, Glasgow, and is under additional supervision.

Noreen Dow, formerly Pacteau, admits that labelling the 24-year-old Cork native's murder traumatic would be a "massive understatement", reports the Irish Mirror.

Matthew Coyle for STV is tweeting from the courtroom

I am hopeless at linking tweets but he is at mattycoyle

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/karen-buckley-killer-alexander-pacteau-6243993

A source told the Glasgow Herald: “A number of threats have been levelled against Pacteau from other inmates.

“Staff at the prison have now taken protective measures to minimise the risk posed to him.

“He is being segregated during breaks and at meal times.”

Pacteau has also been reported in The Sun to have formed a relationship with a convicted rapist in the hope of getting some protection inside.

The Scottish Prison Service said it cannot comment on individual prisoners.

It comes as Pacteau's mum Noreen Dow said the family were “devastated” by the vicious murder.

I am stunned that APs lawyer asked the judge to not take into account everything that happened after the murder !!!!

23 years minimum ............. that is not enough imo

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/live-karen-buckley-killer-alexander-6402108#rlabs=13%20rt$category%20p$3

10:14am
Lady Rae describes Pacteau as "callous and calculating" in his efforts to cover up the murder.

This is an aggravating feature in his possible sentence.

He expressed no remorse for the killing until he admitted to murder in August.

Lady Rae says she cannot envisage Pacteau being "truly sorry" for Karen Buckley's murder.

10:22am
'Senseless, brutal murder' - Judge on Pacteau
Pacteau must serve a minimum of 23 years behind bars before he is even eligible for parole.

Judge Lady Rae described the killing as a "senseless, brutal murder".

Karen Buckley's parents were in court and watched as Pacteau was led down to the cells.

10:26am
Life sentence won't bring Karen back - but at least women are safe from evil coward'
Karen Buckley's family have released a statement following Pacteau's sentence.

It reads: "Today’s life sentence will not bring our beautiful Karen back.

"Our little angel has been taken from us forever in the cruellest of ways.

"We mourn her every day. It will however ensure that women are safe from harm from the truly evil coward who took our beautiful Karen’s precious life.

"I hope that he is never released and spends every day in prison haunted by what he did."

Fiona Donnelly ‏@FionaDonnelly96 39 Min.Vor 39 Minuten Übersetzung anzeigen
Judge tells Alexander Pacteau his guilty plea would have carried more weight if he had shown remorse and regret earlier @C103Cork @C103Cork

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?op...-tackled&catid=122:hook-in-the-west&Itemid=40

Time to do something about it
I have thought a lot about the parents of Karen Buckley this past week. Their daughter’s murderer faces a lengthy prison term for his despicable crime, but for John and Marian Buckley, theirs is also a life sentence.
The sudden death of a child is something no parent should ever have to go through and the seemingly random and senseless nature of Karen’s murder will haunt her mother and father for the rest of their days.
A million ‘what ifs’ have undoubtedly already passed through their minds this past year, and such contemplation, though inevitable, is only serving to fuel what must be an overwhelming sense of loss.
But what if there was a way of slowing down society’s relationship with violent crime? What if we no longer held the attitude that such problems are just an inevitable progression in the human story? Would Alexander Pacteau have been capable of such a violent murder fifty years ago?
Every year films and computer games search for more graphic and grotesque ways to thrill and excite audiences. Kids and young teenagers are getting their hands on violent and sexual images at an increasingly younger age and I am convinced it is having a seriously destabilising affect.
We are living in an age of technological genius and incredible scientific discovery. But our tolerance for indecent and grotesque human behaviour has also never been higher. It wasn’t like this in my day. Or when my parents were growing up. And I am thankful that I do not have to bring up my children in a world that accepts increasingly violent assaults as a fait accompli. It’s time we did something about it.

Shocked at what the judge said about the prosecution! Full statement at link.

I regret that the Crown, in withdrawing charge two, has to some extent tied my hands in relation to this sentence. As a result, I am not able to enhance the sentence in the manner prescribed in the case of Chalmers v HMA, decided by a Bench of five judges in 2014. On the other hand, I have never known a situation in which a judge has been invited to ignore significant material in an agreed narrative, deliberately put before the Court, with the consent of parties.*

http://www.scotland-judiciary.org.uk/8/1480/HMA-v-Alexander-Benjamin-Pacteau

23 years is absolute bull*****, in 23 years Pacteau will be 44, the same age as I am now. He's got threats, GOOD! After what he did to Karen I hope they follow through on those threats, !

He has to serve at least 23 years, doesn't he? Before he is allowed to apply for parole?

I doubt it will be granted. And who knows, he may be charged with other crimes in future. I suspect there are some that just haven't been reported.

If he ever is released, it will be with a 'life licence'. So if he commits a single crime again, he will go back to jail forever.

In respect of the murder charge, there is only one sentence which I can impose and that is life imprisonment. I require now to make an order setting what is called a punishment part, and that is, the minimum period of time that you will*serve in prison to satisfy the requirements of retribution and deterrence.

The effect of this will be that you will not be eligible for parole or release until the whole of the punishment part has expired. Thereafter, it will be for the Parole Board and the Parole Board alone to consider whether you still present a risk to the public, or whether you can be released on a life licence, with appropriate conditions. If you are still considered a serious risk to the public after the punishment part has expired you will not be released.

I am also required to consider a discount in this case because of your early plea.

http://www.scotland-judiciary.org.uk/8/1480/HMA-v-Alexander-Benjamin-Pacteau

That sentence sounds about right to me. People who are assuming he will be out in 23 years are jumping the gun a bit because most lifers get turned down the first time they apply. 23 years is the absolute minimum he will serve, not the maximum, and as another poster pointed out even if he is released he will be on license for the rest of his life.

That sentence sounds about right to me. People who are assuming he will be out in 23 years are jumping the gun a bit because most lifers get turned down the first time they apply. 23 years is the absolute minimum he will serve, not the maximum, and as another poster pointed out even if he is released he will be on license for the rest of his life.

I am not assuming he will be out in 23 years and I do realise that the judge has given the maximum sentence that she was able to give ( having had to allow a discount for the guilty plea ).
However, I find the sentence to be sadly insufficient. This means that, in 23 years time, Karen's family have to face another trauma ( on top of the one they live with every day for the rest of their lives ) in waiting to see if AP will be considered as rehabilitated. A whole of life sentence ( which I know is not possible in Scotland ) would have been a complete closure of the sentence and at least her family would have known that the sc*m would rot in prison with no hope of release.

I am not assuming he will be out in 23 years and I do realise that the judge has given the maximum sentence that she was able to give ( having had to allow a discount for the guilty plea ).
However, I find the sentence to be sadly insufficient. This means that, in 23 years time, Karen's family have to face another trauma ( on top of the one they live with every day for the rest of their lives ) in waiting to see if AP will be considered as rehabilitated. A whole of life sentence ( which I know is not possible in Scotland ) would have been a complete closure of the sentence and at least her family would have known that the sc*m would rot in prison with no hope of release.

I doubt Karen's family expected a whole life tariff, they're very rare in any part of Europe. He got the same type of sentence he would most likely have got in Ireland too, so I'd imagine Karen's family were prepared for the news that he would one day be eligible for parole.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solange
Back