GUILTY UK - Karen Buckley, 24, Glasgow, Scotland, 12 April 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I understand he will likely not be released in 23 years, I just do not think the time fits the crime, simples!

I doubt Karen's family expected a whole life tariff, they're very rare in any part of Europe. He got the same type of sentence he would most likely have got in Ireland too, so I'd imagine Karen's family were prepared for the news that he would one day be eligible for parole.

Yes of course Karen's family would have known what to expect - many people did, having read what was possible in terms of sentencing.
That is not really the point I was making.
I find it insufficient and abhorrent to allow even a possibility of release for this crime.

23 years Minimum is not enough in my view, this was a calculated and horrific crime, which was carried out in an horrific manor. That is even before the horrific manor in which in tried to dispose of her body and the lies he told are taking into consideration. Pacteau have never expressed any regret or remorse for this atrocity. I said before that anything other than a thirty year minimum would be a travesty of Justice in this case. I feel that giving this monster the possibility of release is denying Justice for Karen.

If released after his minimum term he will be 44, still a relatively young man who will still pose a significant risk to women. This subhuman monster is not capable of reform and should be caged for life. Is anybody here familiar with the Scottish system what are the chances of him being released after his 23 year minimum term and what are the chances of him serving longer that the minimum term?

Yes of course Karen's family would have known what to expect - many people did, having read what was possible in terms of sentencing.
I find it insufficient and abhorrent to allow even a possibility of release for this crime.

I guess its just a matter of opinion then, the sentence seems about right to me. Not that any earthly court could ever really hand down an adequate sentence for a crime like this.

BBM - agreed Alyce! That is the point I was trying to make too.

I'm disgusted, beyond disgusted that the possibility of parole is even there.

People who are assuming he will be out in 23 years are jumping the gun a bit because most lifers get turned down the first time they apply. 23 years is the absolute minimum he will serve, not the maximum, and as another poster pointed out even if he is released he will be on license for the rest of his life.

I wasn't assuming anything. I'm aware how the process works but that doesn't mean that I'm not entitled to be disappointed that life does not mean life in these cases.

I completely agree with you he will still present a danger to women whenever he is released. I don't understand why we can't have whole life terms for abhorrent violent crimes. Karen's family have to live with a life sentence knowing they have lost their daughter and sister so why should he be allowed to be free and live his life at any age.

R.I.P Karen Buckley.

I wasn't assuming anything. I'm aware how the process works but that doesn't mean that I'm not entitled to be disappointed that life does not mean life in these cases.

Sometimes it does even where the court doesn't hand down a whole life tariff. And even where it doesn't mean life in prison, a person sentenced to life is never really free.

I guess I'm in a minority of one here, but I think the judge got it right.

Sometimes it does even where the court doesn't hand down a whole life tariff. And even where it doesn't mean life in prison, a person sentenced to life is never really free.

I just hope he undergoes intensive psychiatric evaluations to assess the danger he poses before he is ever released. I still don't believe a man who has committed such a violent crime against a woman can be rehabilitated what he has done is obviously not normal behaviour and it is likely in my opinion that he is a sociopath.

If only he had been put in jail after the attempted rape. Then Karen would still be alive. He's evil. I hope he never gets out.

She gave him the longest sentence that was within her power to give.

The real concern is whether, after the passage of years, the real horror of his crime will be disregarded or unappreciated by the parole board. This always worries me about these cases.

The real concern is whether, after the passage of years, the real horror of his crime will be disregarded or unappreciated by the parole board. This always worries me about these cases.
I wouldn't worry about that, the details of the case are so ghastly I doubt it will seem less serious with the passage of time. People still remember high profile killers such as Mary Bell and Myra and Ian from many decades ago.

I wouldn't worry about that, the details of the case are so ghastly I doubt it will seem less serious with the passage of time. People still remember high profile killers such as Mary Bell and Myra and Ian from many decades ago.

I wish I had your confidence. When I was a child, two little girls were murdered a few miles from where we lived at the time. A local man was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment. A while ago I was shocked to learn that he had been released on parole. This was in the news because he was arrested and subsequently convicted of the murder of a third girl, which the police had been unable to prove at the time.

Interesting show broadcast on RTE tonight interviews with Detectives in the case and witnesses, it was on the Prime Time show, its the second part of the show after the migrant crisis. Its should be available on the RTE player on rte.ie shortly Ill post link when its up.

Front page of todays Daily Record 9/9/2015 and the article inside IMG_0277.jpgIMG_0278.jpg The article states the Judge Lady Rae wanted to give him more jail time than the 23 years but prosecutors left out charging him over the disposal of Karen's remains. Karen's family are quoted at the bottom of the article stating they hope he is haunted every day by his evil crime. I also hope this is the case but it would require the man to have a conscience and I don't think he has one.

She did highlight she will take into the consideration his youth and early plea, and removed two years from his sentence, which would have been 25 years in prison.

http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news...tenced-to-23-years-for-killing-karen-buckley/

What about Karen's youth? He took her whole life away - why should he serve less time because he was relatively young when he battered her and abused her body then tried to cover up what he did?

23 years is an insult to Karen. I understand it doesn't mean he will automatically be released after that time, but will become eligible for parole if deemed safe to do so. However, why should Karen's family have to spend the rest of their lives waiting for that 23 year period to come up, to worry if he will be free one day. They should be able to move on (as best they can) in the knowledge that the murderer of their lovely daughter has no hope of freedom, and will have to face the rest of his life in prison.

If a crime this awful doesn't warrant a whole life term, then I can't imagine what does.

Poor Karen :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsHansford24
Back