GUILTY UK - Katie Rough, 7, killed by teen, Woodthorpe, York, 10 Jan 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think they use "person" because the judge has said the accused mustn't be named.

Not sure though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

<modsnip>
The law recognises that teenagers are still growing and developing. The frontal lobes of the brain which govern stuff like impulse control and decision making are not fully developed until the early 20s. It's why teenagers sometimes make very silly impulsive decisions. Thankfully much of the time it will be stuff like drinking too much alcohol etc.

The brain development is also affected by things like attachment, affection etc in early life. If you have a child who is neglected for example their brain will likely develop more slowly.

So a teenager who does something terrible like this may do so because they've made a stupid decision. They may express remorse etc. They still need to pay a price but the likelihood is that at some point they will have to reintegrate into society hence the law often protects their identity...until they are convicted at least.

I am no expert but did a bit of reading around this after the case of the mother and daughter (Katie Edwards) murdered by teenagers. They expressed no remorse though as far as I can tell.

The law recognises that teenagers are still growing and developing. The frontal lobes of the brain which govern stuff like impulse control and decision making are not fully developed until the early 20s. It's why teenagers sometimes make very silly impulsive decisions. Thankfully much of the time it will be stuff like drinking too much alcohol etc.

The brain development is also affected by things like attachment, affection etc in early life. If you have a child who is neglected for example their brain will likely develop more slowly.

So a teenager who does something terrible like this may do so because they've made a stupid decision. They may express remorse etc. They still need to pay a price but the likelihood is that at some point they will have to reintegrate into society hence the law often protects their identity...until they are convicted at least.

I am no expert but did a bit of reading around this after the case of the mother and daughter (Katie Edwards) murdered by teenagers. They expressed no remorse though as far as I can tell.

I do understand development of the brain and have studied at university from birth through adulthood, I was asking strictly in regard to the admitted murderer not allowed to be named.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, teens not showing remorse is indicative of mental illness, not a typically developing teen/young adult mind.

Don't know, it's a legal thing as they almost never name teenagers. I thought they might lift the restrictions on naming Katie Edwards killer once convicted but they didn't.

Also, teens not showing remorse is indicative of mental illness, not a typically developing teen/young adult mind.

I think in the Katie Edwards case there was discussion a some kind of Personality Disorder. The girl who was guilty had a very disordered upbringing by all accounts. She expressed no remorse in that case as far as I can recall.

Not a typically developing teen at all.

I do understand development of the brain and have studied at university from birth through adulthood, I was asking strictly in regard to the admitted murderer not allowed to be named.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1999/23/section/45

I'm not sure why it was brought in specifically but have a feeling it may have something to do with Jamie Bulgers Killers. They were given new identities upon release IIRC and the media found out who they were and something happened

I think this may have brought in the act. It is up to the court and the judge whether the identity of the minor is protected or not.

(I'm going off memory and may be totally wrong)

That is honestly really frightening that they were given new identities. Somehow the rights of these child killers have more weight than the public to know that there are killers in their midst? This makes absolutely no sense to me.

That is honestly really frightening that they were given new identities. Somehow the rights of these child killers have more weight than the public to know that there are killers in their midst? This makes absolutely no sense to me.

I agree. I think one of them was back in jail after having child *advertiser censored* found on his computer, the other I think is living a life, somewhere. Not sure, it's controversial and I don't want to derail the thread.

I agree. I think one of them was back in jail after having child *advertiser censored* found on his computer, the other I think is living a life, somewhere. Not sure, it's controversial and I don't want to derail the thread.

I think one of them has changed his life behind all recognition and now lives a normal life. I guess that's as positive as it can be. It shows that whatever "help" he had as a teenager was effective. The other one was too damaged as a child.

I think it was also something to do with Mary Bell who killed a young child at 11. Didn't Press later find out who she was now? Or is that something different ?

I saw references to Katie having SM issues to whoever asked upthread

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1999/23/section/45

I'm not sure why it was brought in specifically but have a feeling it may have something to do with Jamie Bulgers Killers. They were given new identities upon release IIRC and the media found out who they were and something happened

I think this may have brought in the act. It is up to the court and the judge whether the identity of the minor is protected or not.

(I'm going off memory and may be totally wrong)

No, it's nothing to do with the James Bulger case. That was an exception to the rule, where the judge decided after their convictions that the two boys should be named. It was very unusual as normally underage offenders were, and are, allowed anonymity.

You've used the phrase "admitted murderer" a couple of times. You are making assumptions. Need to be careful here, as very little information has been disclosed. The accused has been charged with murder - not yet convicted. And we have no means of knowing what, if anything, has been admitted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Madgirl83
Back