GUILTY UK - Katie Rough, 7, killed by teen, Woodthorpe, York, 10 Jan 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
New here....I just wanted to point out that looking for recognizable remorse by a child/teen in a situation like this isn't really meaningful no matter what their reaction. Kids often shut down and need a lot of extra time to process before they can figure out what they feel and what they're willing to show people they feel. It's very hard for a kid, even one who had done something terrible and needs to be removed from regular society, to process the level of stress.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

New here....I just wanted to point out that looking for recognizable remorse by a child/teen in a situation like this isn't really meaningful no matter what their reaction. Kids often shut down and need a lot of extra time to process before they can figure out what they feel and what they're willing to show people they feel. It's very hard for a kid, even one who had done something terrible and needs to be removed from regular society, to process the level of stress.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Thank you, that makes huge sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Katie had Selective Mutism. <modsnip>
Absolutely correct.

I think I'm one of the few people I know on forums of any kind who, as a rule, tries to use full names and words rather than initials and abbreviations.
This probably stems from me being irrationally irritated by the 'Darling' everything popular in some parenting forums ...

It also cuts out the need for 10 questions and misunderstandings about what, of the many possibilities, 'SM' means.

I think I'm one of the few people I know on forums of any kind who, as a rule, tries to use full names and words rather than initials and abbreviations

Me too. Use of initials and abbreviations when not necessary can be very confusing :gaah:

It also cuts out the need for 10 questions and misunderstandings about what, of the many possibilities, 'SM' means.

So, not Sado-Masochism then. ;)

(I'd never even heard of Selective Mutism.)

Me too. Use of initials and abbreviations when not necessary can be very confusing :gaah:

Have you watched The Big Bang Theory? ;) Raj has selective mutism when it comes to women, he can't talk when a woman is present.

I agree about the abbreviations and initials. Drives me nuts sometimes. Hard to read.

It's a complex anxiety disorder that affects mostly children.

Which is also why, if it was suspected there was a third person involved, her mum would not have said in the request for information that Katie would "[FONT=&quot]likely have appeared ha[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ppy and friendly to each other" (quoted from Metro.co.uk). Her selective mutism would likely mean her behaviour would have been subdues and silent.[/FONT]

So I was not allowed to leave school independently during primary school years, however my mother took no issue with putting me on a train by myself to travel 100 miles or so to visit my father from the age of around 8. Thinking back, I'm sure she always put me on the train, spoke to a guard and got me seated next to someone she would talk to for a few minutes.
But I just don't think that would happen these days, I think schools, certainly primary are pretty tight on releasing students to recognised parents/carers - I was not allowed to pick my siblings up from school on a day my step-mother was suffering a migraine (and therefore not able to call or anything) I stayed at the school until my father arrived - 3 hours later

I'm playing catch up with this case, so plz overlook if the answer is already known. Katie's mom was on the scene quickly. Neighbors have talked about knowing the family. Wondering if maybe a neighbor saw Katie from a distance, from inside the house, and called her mom and told her they thought Katie might be laying in the grass, maybe thought she had fallen down and needed her mom?
When I was eight, our police chief's stepdaughter was killed in a terrible wreck. Bob was home eating dinner,cand some nincompoop called him and told him they heard she had a wreck.
He went back to the station to find out where it happened. PD already knew she was dead, and luckily kept Bob at the station. It was such a horrible wreck, both girls were killed instantly, and the man driving the PU who hit them died an hour or so later. I think sometimes people don't think things thru before they make phone calls. That whole ordeal took a long time for people to come to grips with. Pam,cand her friend, Janice, were just 18, just graduated HS the month before.

Katie Rough's inquest is opened and adjourned

AN INQUEST into the death of Katie Rough has been opened and adjourned by York's coroner.

The seven-year-old was found with serious injuries in a field off Alness Drive, Woodthorpe, on Monday, January 9, and was later pronounced dead in York Hospital.

The short hearing at City of York Council's West Offices was carried out by Rob Turnbull, senior coroner for the York area, and heard evidence from Det Insp Mark Pearson.

He said: "At 4.34pm on January 9, following a call to police, officers attended a field located near Alness Drive.

"They found Katie Sharon Rough with serious injuries.

"She was taken to York Hospital where despite the best efforts of staff she couldn't be resuscitated and death was confirmed at 5.45pm the same day.

"She was subsequently identified by her father Paul Rough.

"A person has been charged with Katie's death and we are awaiting hearings at Leeds Crown Court."

The inquest was adjourned until court proceedings have come to an end.

A 15-year-old girl charged with murder and possession of a Stanley knife will appear at Leeds Crown Court on Thursday, February 16.

"charged with Katie's death"

Death, not murder. I realise she has been charged with murder, but sounds like someone's being cautious here.

Katie Rough's inquest is opened and adjourned

AN INQUEST into the death of Katie Rough has been opened and adjourned by York's coroner.

The seven-year-old was found with serious injuries in a field off Alness Drive, Woodthorpe, on Monday, January 9, and was later pronounced dead in York Hospital.

The short hearing at City of York Council's West Offices was carried out by Rob Turnbull, senior coroner for the York area, and heard evidence from Det Insp Mark Pearson.

He said: "At 4.34pm on January 9, following a call to police, officers attended a field located near Alness Drive.

"They found Katie Sharon Rough with serious injuries.

"She was taken to York Hospital where despite the best efforts of staff she couldn't be resuscitated and death was confirmed at 5.45pm the same day.

"She was subsequently identified by her father Paul Rough.

"A person has been charged with Katie's death and we are awaiting hearings at Leeds Crown Court."

The inquest was adjourned until court proceedings have come to an end.

A 15-year-old girl charged with murder and possession of a Stanley knife will appear at Leeds Crown Court on Thursday, February 16.
Opened and adjourned? Not sure what this means. They have come to a conclusion about her death and that's it? Or they're going to have to wait until court proceedings are over until they reach a conclusion?
I would have thought they could have buried her by now but maybe it's after the teenager is put away

The inquest will be resumed after the court proceedings are concluded. This is the normal procedure in such circumstances.
Burial can take place before the inquest if the coroner gives permission.

Katie's family have said that the funeral is arranged for 13th February in York.
So guessing the coroner has given permission.

Katie's family have said that the funeral is arranged for 13th February in York.
So guessing the coroner has given permission.

Yeah and at York Minster too. That isn't something you see too often. I think I might go

I think Katie died in a certain house, and was driven to the field in a car. The truth will come out that it wasn't the 15 year old that did it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy
Back