GUILTY UK - Katie Rough, 7, killed by teen, Woodthorpe, York, 10 Jan 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think anybody is getting new identities, that's why their names are kept private. New identities cost a lot of money and hassle.
I do find it interesting though that this girl is completely absent from all family pictures. It's either that she was never there, or was quickly deleted after the crime to protect her identity. I get the feeling she might have been the black sheep of the family. Katie was clearly the favourite, loved and adored by everyone, jealousy or revenge on the parents are the clearest motive I can see at this stage but obviously I'm speculating.

She was not edited out of the photos for quite some time.
Sorry, to be clearer, photos in the public media were soon edited to exclude her, but not in the family's social media until recently.

Katies funeral is happening right now at York Minster. I was going to go but completely forgot about it and I'm annoyed with myself!

[video=twitter;831132174959181824]https://twitter.com/HeartYorkNews/status/831132174959181824[/video]

Heart Yorkshire NewsVerified account ‏@HeartYorkNews 19m19 minutes ago
The funeral of 7 year old Katie Rough is taking place at York Minster. Her coffin is covered in Dr. Seuss artwork #HeartNews

What makes this child so special? Other children are killed too, who cares about them?

What makes this child so special? Other children are killed too, who cares about them?

I do!
ETA Many of us have many, many dozens if not more cases that we follow. Some of them are little kids who only have a handful of people who are following the threads. But someone here always cares about each case and each little baby.

Nearly everyone here does. If you do not, feel free to say so, but please do not be rude. Written words may come off different than you intend... is that the case here?

If you know of a missing child who could use a thread here, you can start a missing case for them. I would bet a lot of members will be there to put their heart and souls into it.

As for this particular young girl, some of the interest in her case may be because we have posters who live very near to where she lived/died, and may have interacted in ways we do not know. Read back in the thread and you may have a better understanding why she is "special" ... as are all our missing children. Someone picks it up because of a connection (whether for personal reasons, online contact, or a local case) and if interest is there others will join in with constructive support.

Many black children are killed, I remember one story of a young girl attacked in phone booth in England, she didn't even make the headlines.

Ask yourself this....ever seen such coverage about a black child as the media frenzy regarding Katie, and McCann, and Shannon Matthews?

Clearly the killer has been found so why the media coverage?

Many black children are killed, I remember one story of a young girl attacked in phone booth in England, she didn't even make the headlines.

Ask yourself this....ever seen such coverage about a black child as the media frenzy regarding Katie, and McCann, and Shannon Matthews?

Why is that a question for us? We don't write the newspaper articles. Your ire seems misplaced.

You have a valid point but this is Katies thread, and today was her funeral. Can we stay on topic please?

Yes, I have seen lengthy media coverage on murdered black children. Damilola Taylor, Victoria Climbié to name two.
Your post is verging on racist and it's off topic.

There's a 9 page thread on it on this site.

The point I'm making is that once a conviction has been made and sentenced passed, why are the case details hidden as in the Spalding Murderers? In whose interest does it serve? The teenagers who will get new identities once they are deemed fit enough to be released? It certainly does not serve the relatives. Elizabeth Edward's eldest daughter has been very scathing on social media that she is gagged from revealing the names of the two that murdered her sister and Mother.

I agree with your sentiment in general, but there are always exceptions. This poor girl for instance deserves anonymity:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...abuser-on-his-doorstep-after-he-a6992031.html

Luckily (for her) she didn't kill her 'victim', or I imagine she would have got a custodial sentence.

On the flip side I was looking at court records in Florida for the family name of a missing girl and was shocked to see a $30 fine for smoking within 1,000 feet of a school from when she was 12. It just seemed unnecessary and available to view by anyone with an internet connection for evermore.

In short, I don't know what the answer is, other than decide on a case by case basis, rather than a blanket ruling either way.

But in the case of the Spalding murders, I agree, I see no reason why they shouldn't be named on reaching adulthood.

(It's my first time posting on Katie's thread, so RIP Katie. Fly high.)

ETA: The girl in Florida pleaded 'not guilty by reason of Insanity' on the smoking charge. I hope I laughed for the right reasons and it wasn't a cry for help.

First, I don't think anyone who is here to seriously try to help or give compassion bothers to check the race of a child or missing/murdered adult before joining a thread. Our intention is to be compassionate and do whtever we can to help, not to stir up controversy whule following cases.

Trayvon Martin got his thread here, (killer known at time of death) and a lot of angry supporters. And it was covered much more deeply by media than poor Katie's is. But then US media is much more free to post info on cases.

Have you looked through the threads of all the missing children to see who we have followed here at WS? If you know of a case that should be spotlighted and has not already been given a thread, you can do it, and it would be welcomed.

Now back on topic, please.

Thank you.

Bessie
WS ADMINISTRATOR

15 yr olds trial begins on Thursday 16th Only then will we know if the girls name will be released. I wonder is it in any way up to the family. Also for the SM snoopers it is possible to identify the teens maternal grandmother. Am pretty sure I can say that without giving names? First time poster here.

Thank you, super2017. Welcome to the thread!

Will we be likely to get any court updates via media?

I can't see too much of this trial going public. I just wonder if the girls name will be released, as it seems to be pretty well known anywhere you read. This poor family, I cannot begin to imagine how they are coping. Having just buried little katie today and now awaiting her murder trial a few days later. Heartbreaking. It will be interesting though to see if we will even get an idea of what this teens motives were or if they will release details if her psych evaluation.

I cannot begin to understand how a family manages in a situation such as this. How do you parent your other children well, with a heart that is broken and stress beyond what anyone should have to know? I can only pray they have an amazing support system surrounding them, and wish them peace.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meekdoggydogg
Back