GUILTY UK - Katie Rough, 7, killed by teen, Woodthorpe, York, 10 Jan 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
15 yr olds trial begins on Thursday 16th Only then will we know if the girls name will be released. I wonder is it in any way up to the family. Also for the SM snoopers it is possible to identify the teens maternal grandmother. Am pretty sure I can say that without giving names? First time poster here.
Thought it's just a hearing to set a trial date? I could be wrong

I'm sure she'll remain anonymous at least for the length of the trial, if not indefinitely.

I'm sure she'll remain anonymous at least for the length of the trial, if not indefinitely.

Because of her age it's almost certain that she will retain anonymity. In the Edwards case the anonymity was preserved even after conviction. It seems rare that this is lifted if the offender is under 18.

That said it's fairly easy to work out who she is (and it was the same with the Edwards case). The family haven't said on their social media pages but all the pages are open and it's possible to work it out from that. Feel so awful for them as it must be so hard to cope with. To lose a child at anytime is hard, but to lose a child to murder even worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because of her age it's almost certain that she will retain anonymity. In the Edwards case the anonymity was preserved even after conviction. It seems rare that this is lifted if the offender is under 18.

That said it's fairly easy to work out who she is (and it was the same with the Edwards case). The family haven't said on their social media pages but all the pages are open and it's possible to work it out from that. Feel so awful for them as it must be so hard to cope with. To lose a child at anytime is hard, but to lose a child to murder even worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Even more so when your heart and emotions are so deeply connected to both sides of the coin, so to speak.
One can't just cut off those feelings and that must be doubly hard.

I hope that any proceedings are brief and settled quickly so that ALL parties involved can get the help they need to come to terms with what's happened.

Teenage girl denies murdering Katie Rough, 7, in York

A teenager has denied murdering seven-year-old Katie Rough.

She appeared at Leeds Crown Court via video-link on Thursday, sitting next to her solicitor, who confirmed she had written "not guilty" on the indictment in front of her.

The teenager, who cannot be named, did not speak during the 20-minute hearing and only nodded when she was asked by Judge Peter Collier QC if she understood the proceedings.

A dozen family members were in court and sat at the back, having been brought in through a rear door. Judge Collier, the Recorder of Leeds, said the teenager's trial will take place on July 3.

There will be two further hearings before then. He said she will remain in "local authority accommodation" until the trial.

Surprised by that plea to be honest. More heartache for the family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial in July .... things seem to be moving swiftly. Is that normal in UK?

I guess it will be manslaughter under diminished responsibility due to mental health issues.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Trial in July .... things seem to be moving swiftly. Is that normal in UK?
Yes Spellbound it is quick here in the UK.
(Have I spotted you on the Douglas Garland trial? That trial has been a LONG time coming!) In general, once someone is charged, it generally can get to trial and sentence within a year. Justice is swift here!

Yes Spellbound it is quick here in the UK.
(Have I spotted you on the Douglas Garland trial? That trial has been a LONG time coming!) In general, once someone is charged, it generally can get to trial and sentence within a year. Justice is swift here!

Thanks. Glad somewhere does not lollygag along. The time from arrest to trial is so long here i thr States. It has to be dreadful for most families.

And yes, I live and breathe the Garland case right now. :findinglink:

It's my own opinion. It seem the 15 year old girl can't talk..why else hold a sign up on the video link? I believe, she didn't do it.

Thanks Skibs. I agree with all.... Katie's mum is supposed to be treated with compassion here. She is a victim:

from Forum Rules ( see link at top of page or http://www.websleuths.com/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

• Websleuths is victim friendly. Victim bashing will not be tolerated. In most instances, this rule extends to family and friends of principals, i.e., victims and perps.

Posts constituting victim bashing have been removed.

Please review Websleuths Terms of Service aka The Rules and post accordingly.

ETA: If I`ve missed any, please Alert and we`ll get to them asap. Thanks !!

Does anyone have any thoughts on why the charge is murder rather than manslaughter, isn't murder going to be very hard to prove?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katelyn26
Back