GUILTY UK - Katie Rough, 7, killed by teen, Woodthorpe, York, 10 Jan 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If the Suspect was convinced that people were robots you have to wonder if she had seen "Humans". Season 2 had just finished in December 16 on Channel 4. The final episode on Dec 18th also included knife attacks.

If you look at the early posts in the thread you may get a sense of it, atm.

She'd not been on the fluoxetine for long and I think it's known to be a risky drug in adolescents. I'm feeling so angry and sad about this.

Thinking back, years ago, when Prozac was very much the choice of tablet for depression..... I was told and also read that the most likely time for a depressed person to commit suicide is just after they begin Prozac ( or whichever other tablet they are given ).
Reasoning being that when a person is severely depressed, they cannot summon the energy to do anything. After a few days or Prozac, they have ( in many cases ) an increased energy / impetus and are able to do something...but they have not reached the stage where the medication is taking them beyond suicidal thoughts and making them feel better about themselves.

eta - but I have never heard of depression medication creating a need to murder.

I echo what others have said - who was looking after this teenager and monitoring her situation ?

Sad case in lots of ways. It's a shame more wasn't done for the suspect when it was so obvious she had a serious problem.

On the traumatic childhood event front, it does bring to mind Jed Allan who killed his mum, stepdad and sister (and subsequently himself) when he realised his mum was on heroin again, which seemed to be based on protecting his sister from what he endured as a child. That said, he wasn't delusional but the trauma of his own childhood had obviously warped his sense of perspective.

If her distorted thinking believed the robots were real, could Katie's selective mutism have added to her thinking perhaps Katie was one of the bad robots?

There was a lot of speculation on who the teenager is when this first happened. I have not seen any comments today about it. I am very curious if she knew Katie.

Best not to speculate in public now. I think it's safe to say that her name will never be released in the circumstances.

I think if the suspect was of sound mind and had planned the murder she would have tried to avoid literally getting caught red handed by the police. This is a very tragic case and I hope lessons can be learned, the suspects behaviour both before and after sounds very disturbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mod note: Her identity is being withheld so we are not going to speculate as to her identity. :tyou:

Silently following along ...

I feel a lot of compassion for this girl. She was (is) obviously very ill. Very sad she did not receive enough help (apparently) earlier. She seems to feel better where she is now (from reports quoted earlier today here), but a tragedy had to happen for her to receive the kind of help and support that works for her.

I'm confused by the discussion of the medication she had been given, and the concern that it could increase suicidal attempts, as there was no suicide nor suicide attempts in this case, afaik. Is it implied that this medication could also have led to the murder/manslaughter, or contributed to it, by increasing psychotic behaviour?

If her distorted thinking believed the robots were real, could Katie's selective mutism have added to her thinking perhaps Katie was one of the bad robots?
Oh I thought it was the unnamed one who had the selective mutism, not Katie?

ETA: "bad robot" reminds me of the end of every episode of "lost" as the little credit thing for one of the production companies says "bad robot!"

Oh I thought it was the unnamed one who had the selective mutism, not Katie?

ETA: "bad robot" reminds me of the end of every episode of "lost" as the little credit thing for one of the production companies says "bad robot!"

Yes, it was Katie:
During the service Katie's uncle described her as a "smart, fun, beautiful child".He said she had selective mutism, but that it did not stop her from having fun.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-40478679

Oops ... I never watched "Lost"

Unbelievable. Either this is an error or both girls had selective mutism? Every other article I have found on Daily Mail (and other media reports) for this case has said it was Katie. I do believe this is a mistake.

Yesterday the teenage killer, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility. She has been described as ‘selectively mute’ and said nothing throughout the hearing at Leeds Crown Court.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-teen-stabbed-Katie-Rough.html#ixzz4lsIntCbc
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

That article also has info I do not recall hearing before. Not sure if true, either (but would not surprise me):
-The teenager had been under the care of the local Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services a year before the crime,
-A full psychiatric assessment had been requested but never carried out,
-Weeks before the killing, the ‘disturbed’ and suicidal teenager was given anti-depressants and psychosis was ‘flagged up’ for further investigations,
-Only 48 hours before the killing she posted a picture on Instagram crying, with deep cuts to her arms caused by pencil sharpener blades, with the caption ‘mentally seriously not ok’,
-She had confessed to school counsellors and a friend she believed Katie’s family ‘may not be human and controlled by a higher and hostile force’,
-Police discovered the girl also planned to kill Alison Rough and was carrying a cut-up piece of paper with drawings she had made of stick men in ‘poses depicting killing and death’,

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-teen-stabbed-Katie-Rough.html#ixzz4lsJtEKGt
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

FWIW, I never take Daily Mail as always be accurate. Perhaps we will learn more as to whether this is true or not.

thank you for the contribution and the link, Lavish!

I certainly have seen lots of oblique references to the instagram post in MSM. I think the judge yesterday called it a cry for help. But no-one seems to have offered effective help.

Unbelievable. Either this is an error or both girls had selective mutism? Every other article I have found on Daily Mail (and other media reports) for this case has said it was Katie. I do believe this is a mistake.

That article also has info I do not recall hearing before. Not sure if true, either (but would not surprise me):

FWIW, I never take Daily Mail as always be accurate. Perhaps we will learn more as to whether this is true or not.

thank you for the contribution and the link, Lavish!

Totally agree about the daily mail, and I'd heard that Katie had selective mutism before but thought I'd add this in as if true I thought it was quite interesting. I also wondered as I've read that the older girl write down her plea on a piece of paper and her solicitor read it out but wasn't sure if that was because she is a minor. It's also been reported that she made a 999 call so obviously was able to speak then but I'm not sure how the mutism would work.

RE side effects of fluoxetine/Prozac
8c889cba6bfcce9af378b9b102636797.png

RE side effects of fluoxetine/Prozac
8c889cba6bfcce9af378b9b102636797.png

For what it's worth, Prozac has been a lifesaving miracle for both myself and a 15yo girl I know well.

May Katie rest in peace, may her family receive peace, and may her killer receive whatever it is she needs. I am praying for all of them. [emoji20]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back