UK UK - Keith Bennett, 12, Longsight, Manchester, 16 June 1964

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Then to go and give the letter back to him, how insensitive towards Keith's family is that? She must have known they'd find out about it.

She might have been wiser not to accept it in the first place, but having given her word to deal with the letter in a particular way, I support her right to keep her word and give it back when she could no longer do so. I am of course sorry for Keith's mother, but I am also fairly firm in my beliefs that a lawyer should be allowed to deal with his client's affairs privately for as long as that professional relationship lasts. In her place though I might have told him that guarding a letter like that was outside the range of duties she was prepared to perform. Until or unless the police have any evidence that the letter contained details that might have helped with the lawful burial of a body I believe they are overstepping their mark in arresting her on those grounds.

I don't like the authorities using public sentiment to gradually erode our rights.

She might have been wiser not to accept it in the first place, but having given her word to deal with the letter in a particular way, I support her right to keep her word and give it back when she could no longer do so. I am of course sorry for Keith's mother, but I am also fairly firm in my beliefs that a lawyer should be allowed to deal with his client's affairs privately for as long as that professional relationship lasts. In her place though I might have told him that guarding a letter like that was outside the range of duties she was prepared to perform. Until or unless the police have any evidence that the letter contained details that might have helped with the lawful burial of a body I believe they are overstepping their mark in arresting her on those grounds.

I don't like the authorities using public sentiment to gradually erode our rights.
A point well-taken. I would think that, ultimately, the matter rests with whether or not there is client-advocate privilege; if so she has no need to explain herself. If not, handing the letter back to a serial killer instead of going to authorities - as this must have caused her some suspicion about the letter's contents - is rum business indeed.

I don't think she's a lawyer, though. Also, if she was bound by confidentiality then why did she tell the documentary makers? That's why I find it so insensitive because the family were obviously going to find all this out, and at a time when Keith's mum is seriously ill.

I thought advocate was like a lawyer, but I agree she shouldn't make tv shows about her clients without the client's permission. Her conduct seems fairly unprofessional from the little I have heard about her so far.

Must recommend Daily Mail's page on this subject: the photgraphs, the key dates, the timeline, and the two sidebars, one a partial transcript of Jackie Powell's on-screen appearance on the C4 documentary, the other covering Brady's snub of authorities nine years ago and a look at Saddleworth Moor. From the second sidebar:
---
Police were convinced the clue to finding Keith's body - likely to still be preserved in the peat of Saddleworth Moor - were photographs that Brady took of Hindley at the crime scenes.
---
A remote area known as Shiny Brook, stretching up to five square miles, was identified from the photographs and was notable because it was up to a mile away from the burial sites of the other bodies.

But nothing was found.
---
Mr Heywood dismissed theories that Brady would not know the location of Keith's body because of the passage of time, or fears that the moorland peat would have shifted over the decades and moved its location.
---

My solace in her passing is that she is with her son now. I truly hope there is a special place in hell for Brady. No mother should be forced to live decades with not knowing where their child is.

i burst into tears reading that,poor winnie.

at least she is with keith now and both at peace

R.I.P Winnie :rose:

My solace in her passing is that she is with her son now. I truly hope there is a special place in hell for Brady. No mother should be forced to live decades with not knowing where their child is.

i think hell is too good for him.

I thought advocate was like a lawyer, but I agree she shouldn't make tv shows about her clients without the client's permission. Her conduct seems fairly unprofessional from the little I have heard about her so far.

No she's a mental health advocate, not a legal advocate. If they know something illegal is going on they are still obliged to tell the police.

I wish nothing short of death for this man. He is a sick and depraved individual who should be left to rot.

I don't know this woman's personal history but my husband said some mental health advocates are actually past service users themselves. FWIW he's an RMN.

Keith's brother, Alan Bennett, issued a family statement about his mother's death on his website, Searching for Keith. It said: "Winnie fought tirelessly for decades to find Keith and give him a Christian burial. Although this was not possible during her lifetime, we, her family, intend to continue this fight now for her and for Keith. We hope that the authorities and the public will support us in this."
Does leave one a bit teary.

complete Guardian article on Winnie Johnson's death here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/aug/18/winnie-johnson-keith-bennett-dies?newsfeed=true

BBM If she had said that she suspected the letter may contain Brady's mother's secret family recipe for Irish stew the police may have had no probable cause to arrest her but she didn't she said she suspected the letter may contain information about the unlawful burial of a body in which case she had a duty to hand it over to the authorities. Even lawyers are not allowed to withhold information which may lead to the prevention of a crime on behalf of their clients.

And you do have a point about eroded rights but I’m not sure which valuable right is being eroded here. The right to enable a serial killer to repeatedly torment the families of his victims by going on tv to talk about letters he's entrusted to one and hinting they may contain info leading to the recovery of the remains it while standing on the ‘client confidentiality clause’? Or perhaps the right to make oneself an accessory after the fact in said serial killer’s commission of the crime of illegally concealing a body? Either way they’re not freedoms I would gladly storm parliament in support of but each to his/her own, I suppose.

rest in peace winnie,you are now reunited with you son kieth even tho it tookmany many years *advertiser censored*

I wasn't familiar with this case until late last night (someone mentioned it in another thread). I read late into the night, I couldn't stop reading my mind was spinning! I went to bed hoping I'd come here today to see that Winnie had finally learned where her precious son was - but it wasn't to be. My heart breaks. :( I pray they are now together.

Where is Keith, you murdering SOB Brady? :furious:

Rest in Peace, Winnie Johnson. :( I am sorry you died not knowing where your son was.

A website run by Keith's brother:

www.searchingforkeith.com

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member