Found Deceased UK - Leah Croucher, 19, Emerson Valley, Milton Keynes, 14 Feb 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a couple of things I picked up from the podcast. Her parents only talked about her in the past tense. If im talking about someone who is alive it’s always in the present tense. They seemed adamant that they hoped she was alive, yet their language seemed to contradict this.
I was also curious about her mother’s comments about telling Leah to vary her routes. I may just be getting old but conversations around staying safe when out and about always used to centre around not walking in isolated areas rather than walk differing routes to avoid kidnappers. Perhaps anyone with children could advise on this as I did find it a little strange.

Great Sleuthing.
I do not know any one who would advise that.
I must admit I had not picked up on the past tense,but you are right.
it has been mentioned that the wording on the posters seemed odd asking Leah to come home rather than help finding her.

I will find time to listen to the podcast again.

I should also have given you a very warm welcome to Websleuths.

Is there anything you have picked up from the podcast or reading through this thread?

Varying routes etc would be a self defence tactic and I would think that a martial arts family would discuss some tactics with their son and daughter. I did think it unusual at the time of listening but mainly it was unusual to me because I don’t know of a non martial arts person who would say that to a young person. My daughter’s instructors tell students as young as 12 that the instructors would fight/defend rather than go anywhere with someone who was trying to force them. I can’t remember if they have said similar in a children’s class.

Past tense I didn’t particularly notice at the time although I did notice in the Tia Sharp case when an appeal was much closer in time to the disappearance. I think that the past tense in this case is purely down to not having had contact for so long. Doesn’t the dad say in the interview when he is recounting that people ask if he thinks she is still alive, of course we think she is still alive? (My question mark not his and this is not a direct quote as I haven’t relistened to the podcast)

There’s a couple of things I picked up from the podcast. Her parents only talked about her in the past tense. If im talking about someone who is alive it’s always in the present tense. They seemed adamant that they hoped she was alive, yet their language seemed to contradict this.

I just listened to the whole interview again and this is absolutely not true. They constantly talk about her in the present tense. They only use the past tense when referring to the past.

There's only a couple of sentences that could be wrongly misinterpreted as "strange". There's a point where her father says "We were so close [...] we travelled everywhere together". Of course they hope she's alive and they're actively trying to think about all this as finding her alive so they can keep going. But his "slip" doesn't reveal that he thinks/knows she isn't alive - it shows that it's harder to stay in this mindset the longer she is gone. After he says these phrases he immediately reverts back to present tense.

I was also curious about her mother’s comments about telling Leah to vary her routes. I may just be getting old but conversations around staying safe when out and about always used to centre around not walking in isolated areas rather than walk differing routes to avoid kidnappers. Perhaps anyone with children could advise on this as I did find it a little strange.

I personally don't find this strange. I was always encouraged to take different routes as a young girl, and I remember a lot of my female friends at school did too. Same thing as an adult.

This thread will close very soon. Get ready to move over in 5 min.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3