Found Deceased UK - Leah Croucher - Emerson Valley - Milton Keynes - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know, something doesn’t feel totally right about this. Are we assuming now that if someone is a sex offender they are also a murderer? Equally as evil crimes, but it is a different crime and I feel like this whole case felt personal, not a random attack. ALSO doesn’t sit right with me that the property owners hired a convicted sex offender to conduct maintenance on their house.
How would the owners know this? It’s not usual to carry out a CRB check for someone who is just doing a bit of cleaning/maintenance on your house.

I think the police were clear to indicate he would be a “suspect”. They are not definitely saying he did it. And this is why they are appealing for more information because at the moment he is just a suspect but presumably they have nothing other than circumstances to indicate link. They might never be able to prove he did it. Which would be the worst of all worlds (but agree with other commenters that he is maybe looking more likely a suspect than the ex-boyfriend which means that man has been out through hell for years as well. But unless Neil Maxwell is definitively proven to be the perpetrator then questions still hang over possible alternatives.)

We are today (14/10) providing a further update in relation to the Leah Croucher murder investigation from Thames Valley Police head of crime, Detective Chief Superintendent Ian Hunter.
I cannot even begin to imagine what it is like for Leah’s parents and family, for three years and eight months not knowing what has happened to their daughter and loved one.
All of the investigation team who are working on this case are dedicated to finding the truth for Leah’s family.
I want to recap on the developments this week since Monday 10 October, and provide a number of updates in relation to our investigation, which, as I’m sure you can appreciate is complex and fast moving.
On Monday at about 6.30pm, police were contacted with information about a property in Loxbeare Drive, Furzton, Milton Keynes.
We promptly attended and a number of items were located inside the property.
These items included a rucksack and personal possessions belonging to Leah, who was reported missing on 15 February 2019.
Sadly, human remains were also found inside the property close to the rucksack.
As a result of our findings, Thames Valley Police changed its investigation from a missing person’s investigation to a murder investigation.
As I stated, this investigation is moving at pace, and as such I can share with you some further updates today.
At the very outset of our investigation into the disappearance of Leah, we assigned to this case our most experienced and capable team of detectives, led by a senior investigating officer. This attests to our determination to find Leah.
Thereafter, we immediately and thoroughly followed every reasonable line of enquiry. We committed hundreds of officers and staff to the search for Leah; reviewing 1,200 hours of CCTV, conducting more than 4,000 house-to-house inquiries, searching lakes, open land and woodland, we have had sustained and significant media appeals, and offered several public rewards for information.
But sadly, the call from the member of the public that we received on Monday was the first occasion that information was made available to enable the investigation team to provide any link between that address in Loxbeare Drive and Leah.
Prior to this, in the course of visiting those 4,000 properties, I can confirm number 2 Loxbeare Drive was visited on at least two occasions. However, there was no response at the house.
Therefore, we dropped a leaflet through the letterbox, requesting a call back if the occupants of the property had any information. In addition to the house to house enquiries, we also visited the property to scope what CCTV was available in the area.
Since we were alerted to this property on Monday evening, we have established that the property is owned by someone who lives overseas and rarely visits the UK.
It is now known that the owner was not in the UK at the time Leah was reported missing and the house was unoccupied when police attended on these enquiries.
Today, I am able to confirm that we have nominated a suspect in this case. His name is Neil Maxwell.
20221014 - Neil Maxwell.jpg
Neil Maxwell

However, Maxwell was found dead on 20 April 2019 having taken his own life.
It is unusual to name a suspect, but we have also learned this week that during the time when Leah went missing, and whilst the owner of the property was not in the UK, Maxwell was the only person to have keys to the property.
Maxwell had been employed by the home owner to carry out some property maintenance at the house. We now know that Maxwell had keys to this property from November 2018.
Whilst Maxwell has been nominated as a suspect, this does not mean he is guilty of any offence. We will keep an open mind, and our detailed investigation will seek to gather sufficient evidence to establish the truth. This may or may not implicate or exonerate Maxwell or any other persons from the investigation.
Maxwell has previous convictions for sexual offences against females and was wanted in connection with a sexual assault in Newport Pagnell in November 2018.
The sexual assault was reported to Bedfordshire Police on 29 November 2018 and the case was transferred to Thames Valley Police the same day.
We first attempted to arrest Maxwell in connection with the sexual assault the following day, 30 November 2018, at an address in central Milton Keynes, but Maxwell was not present.
During this time, we established that Maxwell was at an unknown location in Scotland at one stage, but further arrest attempts were continually made throughout the UK at various different addresses.
Maxwell knew he was wanted in connection with the sexual assault and was travelling across the UK and making concerted efforts to evade arrest, including using false names and changing his mobile phone and vehicles.
He is likely to have known that he would be returning to prison if he was arrested and convicted.
Thames Valley police shared Maxwell’s name with other police forces on the Police National Computer in December 2018.
We also published a public wanted appeal to find Maxwell on 4 April 2019, but Maxwell was found dead on 20 April 2019 having taken his own life.
A significant amount of enquiries were made nationally to locate Maxwell and these included 18 attempts to arrest him.
In April 2019, when we published our wanted appeal regarding Maxwell in connection with the sexual assault in Newport Pagnell, and during our entire investigation to find Leah, there has been no direct link between Maxwell and Leah until Monday this week when we were called about the property in Loxbeare Drive.
If Maxwell were alive today, we would be seeking his arrest in connection with this investigation, so he could be interviewed under caution to provide his account.
As such, today I am appealing to anyone who had contact with Maxwell between November 2018 and his death in April 2019 or anyone who has information that might help our inquiry to contact Thames Valley Police.
If you have any information please contact us by visiting our website or calling 101, quoting ‘Op Innsbruck’.
If you do not wish to speak directly with police, you can also call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
The property in Loxbeare Drive is a complex and challenging scene, and I want to let local residents know that it could be a number of weeks before we are able to conclude our forensic examinations.
Therefore, we expect this investigation to be protracted, but we will update the public and the media when we can during our investigation.
The outpouring of emotion and support to Leah’s family from the community has been overwhelming.
Leah’s family continue to be supported by our specially trained officers, and our thoughts are and always will be with them.
The Senior Investigating Officer visited Leah’s family this morning and fully briefed them on everything I have just told you.
They have specifically asked me to pass on the following message:
"We would like to take this opportunity to thank Thames Valley Police for all their efforts over the past three years and eight months.
"We believe that they could not have done anything differently, they have always approached every conversation with dignity and compassion.
"As a family, we ask that everyone respects our privacy as well as our immediate family, at what is one of the most difficult times of our lives."
KB
Notes to editor:

Neil Maxwell's date of birth was 9 February 1970.

Is there a problem with this page?

Footer navigation​

Thames Valley Police​

I think it is just that sadly; a coincidence.

The press conference was so shocking, not what I was expecting at all.

Did they say where the suspect was found dead as I missed that bit?
That's exactly what I was hoping one of the reporters would ask.

I do know that his death was registered in Milton Keynes, from the General Register Office website

MAXWELL,
NEIL ROBERT
GRO Reference: DOR Q4/2019 in MILTON KEYNES (326-1A) Entry Number 519673307

General Register Office - Online Ordering Service - Login

Oddly it wasn't registered until Q4 (Oct-Nov-Dec) 2019, even though he died on 20th April 2019.

A
I think it is just that sadly; a coincidence.

The press conference was so shocking, not what I was expecting at all.

Did they say where the suspect was found dead as I missed that bit?
Agree on the coincidence, it could be that he was working there for a while and was in a position to see her frequently enough to recognise and become comfortable with. Then one morning he asks for help with something, would seem totally innocent.

I don’t know, something doesn’t feel totally right about this. Are we assuming now that if someone is a sex offender they are also a murderer? Equally as evil crimes, but it is a different crime and I feel like this whole case felt personal, not a random attack. ALSO doesn’t sit right with me that the property owners hired a convicted sex offender to conduct maintenance on their house.
BBM - I worry that her martial arts/self defence training could have caused him an issue. Maybe it would have been a sexual assault as per his apparent MO, but she was more able to defend herself than he expected and it went south. JMO.

I don't think him taking his own life, soon after she went missing, meaning they have lived through almost 4 years of hell while she has been missing, and losing Hayden, is justice. He took the cowards way out.
Yes, that is true, but he cannot hurt anyone else. I am cross that he managed to avoid arrest whilst still in MK!

I feel similar to you, there's just something unopportunistic about it.

I'm not sure that the owners would've necessarily done background checks, anyone can claim to be in property maintenance with a Facebook page or fancy website. If they live overseas, they may have been totally unaware and am sure are feeling dreadful about everything. I feel for the owners of the property.
You’re right, I guess they wouldn’t have done any checks would they, unless maybe this person was going to be a permanent member of staff.

I keep reading the press conference and it still feels a bit too handy for the suspect to be deceased. I worry that this case could be closed too soon because of that.

Recap of developments from 10th October. Complex investigation.
Monday 6.30 police contacted. Police attended items located inside. Rucksack and personal possessions of Leah. Human remains found inside property close to rucksack. This made it a murder investigation.

Lots of back side covering.

Confirmed address was visited on 2 occassions but no response.

They have established that property owned by someone overseas. Owner not in UK when Leah went missing.

They have nominated a suspect Neil Maxwell. Found dead 20 April 2019 having taken his own life. Maxwell was the only person to have keys to that property. Engaged by owner to do work on the house and had keys from November 2018. 29 November 2018 accussed of sexual assault. Made concerted effort to avoid arrest.
They also confirmed all belongings and body found in loft.

Maxwell found dead 19th April 2019 suicide (location not given though it was thought he was in Scotland at an unknown location at some point in him evading police).
The poster behind the police state said Maxwell 9th February 1970 so assume that is date of birth?

They also confirmed all belongings and body found in loft.

Maxwell found dead 19th April 2019 suicide (location not given though it was thought he was in Scotland at an unknown location at some point in him evading police).
The poster behind the police state said Maxwell 9th February 1970 so assume that is date of birth?
Yes, that's his date of birth

At least the family have closure at this point. People can finger point and blame at the police but, it just seems to me, Leah was in the wrong place and he had probably seen her going to work before at this usual time and decided to approach her.

Neil Maxwell has links to lots of places across the country and is known to frequent campsites. He was wanted for sexual offences in MK in 2018 but there's a scary possibility that Leah wasn't his first murder victim and that cold cases will be looked at in all these areas.
It's noted in the article that he also fled the scene of the 2018 assault in a vehicle.

That is why they said they are still investigating and may or may not rule him out.

By coincidence I was outside the house at 2pm delivering a card from Webslueths.No media presence they were at the briefing.
There were no scenes of crime only two officers guarding the house. Than an interesting thing happened. A member of the public arrived, who lived a few door away, and told me and an officer he had just, by coincidence, received a letter chasing Neil Maxwell for an unpaid parking fine back in 2018.
He handed the notice to the Police. He told me the number plate was an 06 plate but it did not state the type of vehicle. Need to see if any photos showed the number plates of the two cars that were in the driveway, but were then moved. A neighbour thought one had been there for years.
RIP Leah
It was not an 06 number plate for the Toyota in the driveway. Interesting that he drove though, why would he not move her body esp as owners were coming back in a few months, this may have caused the panic and eventual suicide, could have been guilt though esp as he's visiting/ working or even living in the property after her death. Where did he commit suicide, surely not on this furzton property? It may be he didn't have access to a car at this point. I'm guessing given his job at the property he would have fixed any damage to the property too from the altercation, painted over tough blood splatter, maybe removed replaced flooring, fixed the window etc. Now we know how he got her into the attic and concealed her so well for so long, my suspicions about the offender being a sexually motivated trader were correct.

It also seems from the sexual assaults in Nov 18 that as soon as he gained access to this house he was out on the prowl for young women. It makes you wonder if he knew the previous pedo there and if this him or his family connected him with the overseas owner or maybe he was in prison with this other offender or visited him for some reason, their crimes were similar. Maybe he read about him in the paper and this drew him to the property.

I'm also thinking about the owners, didn't they know he commited suicide and then ask around about possible motives? he has their keys doesn't he?? Also didn't they know about her going missing in the same area just a few month earlier before his suicide. If a male commits suicide a few months after young woman disappeared near to place where he worked/ lived, the mind boggles.

Why didn't the police link him to that address if he had a parking ticket, I assume this parking ticket was sent to the furzton address and would have eventually resulted in a prosecution for non-payment.

Last edited:
It was not an 06 number plate for the Toyota in the driveway. Interesting that he drove though, why would he not move her body esp as owners were coming back in a few months, this may have caused the panic and eventual suicide.
He was already dead - suicide in 2019

We can’t assume that, but it’s not an uncommon way that offences escalate. Also entirely possible there was a struggle etc.

There’s been a lot about coincidences in this thread, but her being found in a house that only a known offender against women, on the run at the time, had the key for and he knew would be empty for some time, and it not being him… feels like a coincidence too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member