Found Deceased UK - Liam Smith, 16, Aberdeen, Scotland, 17 Nov 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe this is just my "hope" talking, however, from the start I've felt that he left home and left his cell phone there, as if leaving "everything" behind him. I think Liam ran away, left home.

Did Liam go to someone's house to get away? Is this someone his parents aren't aware of?

The fact that he didn't say where he was going is puzzling.

Thanks for letting us know that the doors Liam walked through are the entrance to "Union Square". Now I have an even better picture of the area there.

You are absolutely right - we have no CCTV of Liam either boarding or sitting on the bus.

As to when his family saw him last, the police state that Liam was seen on Saturday afternoon. This would be the CCTV at McDonalds. No mention, as you say, of the last time his mother saw him. I find this puzzling, as well.

The main reason I can think of as to why a person of that age would leave a cell phone behind is that he or she would know that they could be "tracked" on it.

The police and his mother have been urging anyone to contact them to tell them at least that Liam is safe. If there was a reason why Liam left, only his mother and the police are privy to that information. That is - if they know.

As you say, Liam's state of mind has not been mentioned.

This case has tugged at my heart since day one.

Whatever the scenario turns out to be, I still have hope that Liam is safe somewhere. There is always hope.

I agree 110%. Can I check, are we allowed to post something that we have seen on a SM page or is that not allowed? I have just seen something interesting.

Every person that disembarked when he did, must be checked out, as well as their home.
Crathes isn't a village or a town, it's more of an area about three miles before Banchory. I honestly can't see there being many passengers getting off there. It must have taken a number of days before they found out that he got off the bus at Crathes. They searched Lumphanan first then switched to Banchory. After they found out that he purchased a ticket to go to Raemoir Road in Banchory, I would think that one of the first people they would have spoken to would have been the bus driver. They haven't said how they came to the conclusion that he got off the bus at Crathes, other than a witness. I keep coming back to the same niggle, how sure are they that he was on that bus. I read something on a SM page earlier that was interesting but I'm not sure if I can post something I have seen on a SM page?

I have just looked back in the news to see where they said that he got off the bus at Crathes and it on 28th Nov, BBC news stated "Liam Smith caught the 202 Stagecoach bus from Aberdeen on 17th November and is thought to have got off at Crathes". Police said a "subsequent credible sighting" of him in the Crathes Estate area that afternoon offers further information to lead searches. Missing teenager sightings eliminated

Replying to 'Coach' posted at 4.11am for some reason I can't quote the post in my reply.

Depends on the source of the SM.

If it's a public page eg the official 'Find' FB page, you can quote direct from the page owner/admin but not from a visitor post.

More info here: nb 'Public Page' section vs 'Individual'

Rules - Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.

I know I have asked this already but how sure are they that he actually got on the bus? The bus station will have CCTV, I know they said the cameras on the actual bus itself was broken but have they seen physical footage of him getting on the bus? Did he buy the ticket at the ticket office or on the actual bus?

I can't speak with certainty for Aberdeen, but every bus I've used in the UK has involved buying a single trip ticket on the bus itself from the driver, unless you have an existing travel pass which is just showed to the driver/placed on a card reader.

I can't speak with certainty for Aberdeen, but every bus I've used in the UK has involved buying a single trip ticket on the bus itself from the driver, unless you have an existing travel pass which is just showed to the driver/placed on a card reader.

If he has a youth travel card they have to be registered (to prove age) and can be tracked.
It's like an ID-card with a photo.

eta, not tracked as in his full journey, only that the card was used to get on and where.

Last edited:
I agree 110%. Can I check, are we allowed to post something that we have seen on a SM page or is that not allowed? I have just seen something interesting.

Dear Coach,

I apologize for not replying earlier but I think with the time zones , you are five hours ahead of me.

It's 8:29 a.m. here now and I'm just reading the posts on here now.

Thank you @DanceCard you posted about discussions of SM:

Rules - Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.

This latest article (link attached in my previous post) said that the bus was very busy. They first thought that Liam had got off the bus at Lumphanan, could they also be wrong about Crathes? I wonder if he did get off at his original intended stop, Raemoir Road in Banchory.

This latest article (link attached in my previous post) said that the bus was very busy. They first thought that Liam had got off the bus at Lumphanan, could they also be wrong about Crathes? I wonder if he did get off at his original intended stop, Raemoir Road in Banchory.

Any ideas on why he would get off at the Raemoir Road stop? By this i mean any places of interest a 16 year-old would possibly visit in that area?

Any ideas on why he would get off at the Raemoir Road stop? By this i mean any places of interest a 16 year-old would possibly visit in that area?

We live under an hour from Banchory and Crathes so we know the area well. I think that if someone had bought a ticket to go to Raemoir Road in Banchory, they would have a specific reason such as visiting someone. The most recent news update today (I attached the link in a previous post) said that they are still looking to identify a 'duo' who were also on the bus going to Raemoir Road.

I wish we knew more about Liam. Does he have any hobbies or area of interests that might be clues as to why or where he has traveled to. I assume LE has questioned Liam's family, friends, schoolmates, teachers and any SM contacts. Its been reported that Liam purchased a bus ticket and food during his travels but did he use cash or bank card. If he had a bank card has he made any major withdrawals or did he a get an allowance from his parents and saved money for this journey. I haven't seen many statements from the family during this time but I could have missed it. It seems Liam had some plan in place but we don't know what it is at this time.

Where ever you are Liam please be safe. Please let someone know where you are.

Dear @earthspirit,

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge of this area. It is a tremendous help.

You are greatly appreciated !
thanks i am from there and lived around the places so know the streets and layout of land - currently living in london but still very connected to area.
im also hearing from a local guy that although the police are not organising public searches - many many ghillies farmers and gamekeepers who know the land and its quirky hidden spots - are out there looking from dawn to dusk. where did beautiful green eyed liam go? i just feel so sad about this one as i can sense his funny clever quirky nature - a sensitive kid who was hot at football and in many ways reminds me of my own son - except at 16 my son was not unhappy with his life and now at 26 has passed all these young years stresses. i just want liam to be found safe and well cold hungry skint and on his way home.

I wish we knew more about Liam. Does he have any hobbies or area of interests that might be clues as to why or where he has traveled to. I assume LE has questioned Liam's family, friends, schoolmates, teachers and any SM contacts. Its been reported that Liam purchased a bus ticket and food during his travels but did he use cash or bank card. If he had a bank card has he made any major withdrawals or did he a get an allowance from his parents and saved money for this journey. I haven't seen many statements from the family during this time but I could have missed it. It seems Liam had some plan in place but we don't know what it is at this time.

Where ever you are Liam please be safe. Please let someone know where you are.

absolutely no information has come out from his family - other than liam being very good at football and playing for many teams. very unusual in a missing person case but i suppose each family has their own reasons for keeping things quiet. usually the police tend to give out more info - in this case its left to the public to work things out for themselves and speculation is being quickly suppressed on other social media. There is however plenty chat from friends on social media - im too old to join those groups so have no idea what is being said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lawdaughter222
Back