Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
11:23
Defence calling on two other witnesses who heard screams
Oliver Saxby QC says Relowicz’s evidence may go well into Wednesday.

He says the defence will also call Drew Brewster and Hannah Berkin.

He said; “In 2019, they were students living in Claremont Avenue and in the early hours of February 1 they heard screaming. The screams they heard were female and came from the area of Oak Road playing fields.

“Three days later on February 4, they gave statements about what they heard. Unlike Sam Alford, the prosecution have chosen not to rely on what they have to say.

“The prosecution served the statements on us, the defence. They, in any case, have a duty to provide evidence that could undermine the prosecution case and support the defence case.

“We considered these statements and in light of the evidence you have heard and the theory put forward we have chosen to call these two witnesses.”

Libby Squire trial live: Relowicz defence to start

11:32
Defence say witnesses heard screams at 12.30am - after Relowicz had returned home
Mr Saxby says at 12.30am on February 1, 2019, they heard screaming coming from the playing fields.

They say they heard three separate periods of screaming.

Mr Saxby says the defence have called the two witnesses as it is said at 12.19am Relowicz was back at his car and left Oak Road.

The barrister said; “Two issues arise. Whatever he has done it has taken him about seven and a half minutes to get Libby Squire into the park to have sex with her, take her to the river to kill her, put her into the river and leave.

“The prosecution were keen for Sam Alford to say he was running as they needed him to be running.

“If he raped and killed her, managing to get her to a further area of Oak Road she, unlikely able to get to an area herself, he would need to be a very fast runner indeed.

“If they [the defence’s two witnesses] are right and heard screaming at 12.30am or later there seems to be an explanation that Pawel Relowicz cannot be guilty as at 12.23am he was at home.”

11:38
Libby was 'lost, disorientated and screaming desperately'
Mr Saxby says: “Sam Alford said the screaming sounded ‘desperate.’ He paused before giving that word. I appreciate it is consistent with the prosecution’s theory that there Pawel Relowicz was raping and killing Libby Squire and she was screaming.

“He says these were minutes apart and these two witnesses speak of a succession of screams. What was going on? Was he chasing her? Are these screams part of a prolonged act of sexual intercourse?

“I put on Friday she was lost and disorientated and screaming desperately.”

11:41
Defence to call witness who heard Libby screaming in Beverley Road
Another witness, Ryan Thom, will be called.

Mr Saxby said he saw Libby just before midnight on Beverley Road and heard her “screaming as if to get someone’s attention.”

He said: “Just before the prosecution said she was screaming because of something sinister she was screaming in a similar fashion.”

11:42
Defence barrister calls Relowicz's previous behaviour 'utterly disgusting'

Mr Saxby says how Relowicz behaves is “utterly disgusting” and he has “violated homes and intimate possessions of student girls and has expressed his enjoyment by masturbating. It is, I repeat, disgusting.”

He added; “What he did I don’t doubt frightening and you may hate him for it, why wouldn’t you? You will hear his evidence on this topic. He has found it difficult to say he has a problem. He lied to his wife, the court and himself.

“He feared that if he admitted it he would count against him. Should it? You will be the judges of that.

“These convictions you have heard about are what he has - he has no others. He doesn’t have a record of violent or threatening behaviour and there is nothing in the accounts from the witnesses that suggest he was displaying aggression or violence. It is not this that gets him off, so to speak.”

No disrespect to students but, I would be more inclined to think the evidence of Sam Alford as reliable and precise because he's been trained do just that in his career.

I think with all three witnesses we need to take a pinch of salt when it comes to the exact timings. It's likely none are truly accurate. Though I'm inclined to agree I would put more weight on Mr Alford given proximity, detail, recency, and triangulation to the running man. The fact all 3 heard screams is relevant and doesn't make me feel he is any less guilty.

No disrespect to students but, I would be more inclined to think the evidence of Sam Alford as reliable and precise because he's been trained do just that in his career.
Except his timings don't match the case outlined either, if he is precise the screaming went on after 12:19. For what it's worth I think he has massively over-estimated how long the screams went on for and how long he was watching out of the window before he saw the man walking out of the park. Unless he missed PR leaving the park while he was in the loo and saw another man leaving.

11:42
Defence barrister calls Relowicz's previous behaviour 'utterly disgusting'

Mr Saxby says how Relowicz behaves is “utterly disgusting” and he has “violated homes and intimate possessions of student girls and has expressed his enjoyment by masturbating. It is, I repeat, disgusting.”

He added; “What he did I don’t doubt frightening and you may hate him for it, why wouldn’t you? You will hear his evidence on this topic. He has found it difficult to say he has a problem. He lied to his wife, the court and himself.

“He feared that if he admitted it he would count against him. Should it? You will be the judges of that.

“These convictions you have heard about are what he has - he has no others. He doesn’t have a record of violent or threatening behaviour and there is nothing in the accounts from the witnesses that suggest he was displaying aggression or violence. It is not this that gets him off, so to speak.”

He doesn’t have a record of violent or threatening behaviour

Mmm, clearly Mr Defence Counsel and I do not share the same beliefs.

Voyeurism, exposing himself ( and worse ) and ripping someone's letter box off with his hands....very scary and threatening to me.

11:49
Relowicz 'does not know' how Libby died
Mr Saxby says Relowicz “does not know” how Libby died.

He said: “He was not there.”

Mr Saxby says it is not the prosecution’s case that Libby drowned, but that Relowicz “killed her” by asphyxiation.

He said: “These same themes that he could have killed her, but may not have, featured in the evidence of Professor Deakin. Yes, she was very vulnerable to attack but what about the question I posed that she was also extremely vulnerable to her own misadventure?

“You may wonder why he found it difficult to accept her awareness of danger was likely to be reduced and was likely to be confused, may have taken the wrong route and may have become distressed.

“What made her vulnerable to attack is undeniably what may have led her to become disorientated and caused her to fall into the river.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member