UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
11:17
Witness saw Libby 'sat on the floor crying'

The two statements are being read out by Dale Brook. It is the evidence of Ryan Thom.

The first statement was made on February 26, 2019. It was made after Mr Thom saw an article in the Hull Daily Mail that Libby was missing.

He was heading home along Beverley Road at 11.30pm on January 31.

He said: “On my way home I decided to call into my brother’s for no longer than a couple of minutes. I walked out onto Beverley Road, towards the junction on Clough Road. I was on the pavement on the opposite side to the Haworth pub.

“It was quite busy and there were cars around. It was dark, frosty and cold. While I walked along I was on my phone to my ex when I heard a female screaming. I looked across the road and saw a female sat on the floor crying."

“She was on her own leaning on a wall. There was a bench around two feet around and a bus stop around 15 feet away. She was rocking forwards and backwards. She was clearly upset, crying and screaming continuously. My ex told me not to get involved so I carried on walking.

Mr Thom said he didn't see anyone talk to her.

Libby Squire murder trial live updates as Relowicz defence continues

11:25
Witness evidence finished

All the witness evidence has now finished and the agreed facts are now being read out to the court by defence team. they are:

• No member of the public made a report to the police about Libby Squire at the time they saw her on Beverley Road and Haworth Street on January 31 and February 1, 2019
  • There are no lights beyond the play area off Oak Road and in the area of the River Hull, the pond and pavilion
  • The same Polish words can be used to describe screaming and shouting

There is a HUGE difference between 'crying and screaming' for any reason and screaming for your life ... IMO

Having personally heard someone scream for their life, a scream of pure terror, there is a very real difference between that and any other.

11:28
Judge: 'prosecution must prove Relowicz is guilty'

Justice Lambert says the jury will take into account the whole of the evidence including agreed facts, CCTV, witness statements and material in the jury bundle.

There is to be no more evidence.

She said: “You must not speculate about evidence there might have been or allow yourselves to be drawn into speculation.”

The judge says the prosecution must prove Relowicz is guilty.

She said: “The prosecution must satisfy you of the defendant’s guilt.”

I think they are specifically talking about the words used though and how they may have been interpreted.

I might say 'she was screaming her head off at me' if I was telling someone about a row I had with someone else. But by screaming I don't mean screaming in it's purest sense. I actually mean shouting.

I understand why one might be crying in the street following the events that evening (drinking alcohol, being refused entry, losing your key, getting confused and disorientated) but continuously screaming sounds very bizarre. Does anyone else have any insights?

11:34
Legal directions on rape charge

Rape is the first count. Justice Lambert said: “The prosecution’s case is that Pawel Relowicz took Libby Squire to Oak Road playing fields from Haworth Street to rape her. The defence’s case is he did not take her there to rape her but they had consensual sex.

“He admits his semen was found in her vagina. The issue for you is whether she consented to intercourse. Before convicting, you must be sure that she did not consent and secondly, be sure that Pawel Relowicz did not believe that she consented.”

11:35
Directions on consent

The judge says consent is that a person agrees to it and is capable of making that choice.

She said: “The prosecution say Libby Squire was not capable of giving consent because of the effects of alcohol and the cold. The defence case is she was capable of giving consent and she did so.

“You will have to decide whether she was able to give a choice about having sexual intercourse.”

I understand why one might be crying in the street following the events that evening (drinking alcohol, being refused entry, losing your key, getting confused and disorientated) but continuously screaming sounds very bizarre. Does anyone else have any insights?
No, but just a bit of extra information - I remember reading that Libby was also upset about a housemate that was leaving. I'll see if I can find the quote.

I can understand a couple of screams of drunken frustration - I want to go home, I can't find my way etc.... But not continuous screaming. I agree that does sound bizarre.

Tidal river banks are incredibly muddy and slippy and it is easy to get your legs stuck in the mud, and LS had impaired coordination thrown into the mix.

I had a dog that went missing who got stuck in the mud of a tidal river and was only saved by a passer by as the tide was coming in again.

No, but just a bit of extra information - I remember reading that Libby was also upset about a housemate that was leaving. I'll see if I can find the quote.

I did see that quote @Tortoise I think it was a member of the student household she went inside. I also saw the quote from the taxi driver saying she was upset about some chap and called that someone a c***. So she obviously had been upset earlier in the evening before she got disorientated, if not before she went out that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro