UK - Logan Mwangi, 5, found dead in Wales River, Bridgend, 31 July 2021 *arrests, inc. minor* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
15:10Philip Dewey

Witness tells court she saw Logan 'in a push-up position' and was told it was a punishment

The next live witness is Jodie Simmonds. She is the former partner of Daniel O’Brien who was the last witness.

Ms Simmonds met John Cole in 2019 and later met Angharad Williamson and Logan.

The witness said she would visit Cole and Williamson and remembered Logan being there.

Ms Simmonds said she recalled an incident at Christmas 2019 when Cole and Logan were in the little boy’s room.

She said: “Jay was sat in the doorway, Logan was in a push-up position… [His arms] looked tired and they were shaking. I remember them shaking.

“He was upset, crying, and had a runny nose… I was told he had been naughty and needed to learn."

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC said: “Who told you that?”

Ms Simmonds said: “Jay… Logan collapsed, he lost the weight on his arms. Jay told him to get back in position and his time would start again… [Logan] followed the instructions… He was three, four years old…

“I went into the kitchen with Jay and discussed with him how old Logan was and if it was appropriate to be dealing with Logan that way… I was agitated, angry, frustrated at what I had listened to…

“He didn’t listen, shrugged it off, wasn’t concerned at all… I was upset… I got Angharad and told her… She was in the back garden smoking.”

Ms Rees said: “What did she say?”

Ms Simmonds said: “That he needs to learn because his behaviour had been so poor… That Logan needed to learn his lesson.”

Ms Rees said: “Did she appear bothered?”

Ms Simmonds said: “No… I left the property. They knew I was upset about what I had witnessed… I tried to break away from the family.”

Murder accused 'told mum not to be surprised if she was arrested', trial told

15:23Philip Dewey

'He was withdrawn, lost visible weight at the time, his complexion was quite pale'

In January 2020 family friend Jodie Simmonds, who is giving evidence, was asked to help take Logan to school when Angaharad Williamson was unable to.

She said she went to KFC and bought a bucket to share with the family.

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC said: “Did you see an interaction that caused you concern?”

Ms Simmonds said: “Logan was being brushed off and being told he wasn’t allowed to eat the KFC with us because of his behaviour.”

Ms Rees said: “Who was telling him that?”

Ms Simmonds said: “Jay… He just said he had been misbehaving.”

Ms Rees said: “How did John Cole describe why he couldn’t eat the KFC?”

Ms Simmonds said: “He said he hadn’t been good enough to deserve fast food… He was sat in between the sofa chair and the doorway on the floor.”

Ms Rees said: “What happened to the KFC?”

Ms Simmonds said: “It was eaten but Logan didn’t have any. I gave him some of my popcorn chicken when Cole left the room. [Logan] was given Weetabix.”

Ms Rees said: “How did Logan feel?”

Ms Simmonds said: “Sad… [Cole] said how tasty the food was, almost rubbing it in… I shook my head at Angharad to do something.”

Ms Rees said: “How did she react?”

Ms Simmonds said: “She didn’t.”

The witness said there was a big change in Logan’s personality and appearance.

Ms Rees said: “In the time you knew Logan had his personality changed?”

Ms Simmonds said: “Yes. He was withdrawn, lost visible weight at the time, his complexion was quite pale. His demeanour was very down, quiet.”

Ms Simmonds said she later witnessed a heated altercation between Williamson and Cole.

The witness said "you could feel the tension in the house" at the time because the couple were disagreeing over something.

“An argument broke out, they started shouting at each other… The next thing I knew was a loud bang and a scream from Angharad, John came towards me...

“I said: ‘What did you do?’ He said he pushed her and Angharad said he had strangled her and she seemed very upset…. She had red marks around her chest and neck area.

“I questioned Jay. I said: ‘If you didn’t push her why has she got red marks?’... He was just angry... I held Angharad back... John said everyone needed to calm down. I screamed at them and told them everything was wrong and left the house.”

Potentially the woman she accused of taking Logan could be linked to JH?

when this came up in Daniel O’Brien testimony, whilst it isn’t totally clear from the transcript, I’m led to think that the woman accused may be linked to JC as it suggests (to my understanding anyway) that he changed the locks from his place to AW’s and the police are asking how ‘she’ would know that - my assumption being that if someone who had a key knew that the locks had been swapped, would know they could get in??. ..

Rsbm

The witness said he heard Cole speaking to the police on July 31.

Mr O’Brien said: “He said he’d changed the locks from that property down to the other property, from Maesglas to Lower Llansantffraid.

“The officer turned round and said how would [the woman accused of taking Logan] know the locks had been changed. He didn’t answer.

“He was very nervous. He smoked *advertiser censored* after *advertiser censored*.”

Last edited:
15:23Philip Dewey

“An argument broke out, they started shouting at each other… The next thing I knew was a loud bang and a scream from Angharad, John came towards me...

“I said: ‘What did you do?’ He said he pushed her and Angharad said he had strangled her and she seemed very upset…. She had red marks around her chest and neck area.

“I questioned Jay. I said: ‘If you didn’t push her why has she got red marks?’... He was just angry... I held Angharad back... John said everyone needed to calm down. I screamed at them and told them everything was wrong and left the house.”

This to me says it all - she is as volatile and evil as he is IMO and was not scared of him

15:46Philip Dewey

'You *advertiser censored**ing lied to me, you said he was still alive'

On July 31, 2021, witness Jodie Simmonds was told Logan had died after being found in the river and called Angharad Williamson.

The witness said: “She answered: ‘Yes it’s Logan – what do you know?’. She was upset and crying. I was upset and crying also because I couldn’t believe the news… I said all I had been told was he was found in the river.

“She said she had to go and identify Logan’s body and would call later... I was extremely upset.”

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC said: “What did you think of Angharad’s reactions?”

Ms Simmonds said: “I thought it was strange – I wouldn’t be taking phone calls if it was my son. She asked me what I heard and if I heard any news about what had happened to Logan and I told her I hadn’t heard anything.”

Ms Simmonds and her then-partner Daniel O’Brien visited Williamson and John Cole in Maesglas.

She said: “Angharad was sat on the second lot of steps in the property… I put my arms around her and embraced and cried with her..

“I thought she said [Logan] was covered in blood. I asked her to repeat herself and she said: ‘He’s still covered in mud’...

“She said her baby boy had gone. She was very hysterical.”

Ms Rees said: “What about Jay (Cole)?”

Ms Simmonds said: “He was stood in the living room while I interacted with Angharad. After hugging Angharad I turned to Jay… Angharad asked me to take her to the property to get a purse and medication… [Jay] was quite quiet.

“They asked what I heard. I had been told he had been found near sewer pipes… Angharad reacted quite hysterical to me saying that, looked at Jay, and said it was lies.”

Ms Rees said: “Did Jay say anything about the circumstances of Logan being found?”

Ms Simmonds said: “No… [Jay] explained [the youth] had seen Logan being pulled out of the river… Angharad screamed at Jay and said: ‘You *advertiser censored**ing lied to me, you said he was still alive’.”

Ms Rees said: “How did Jay respond to that?”

Ms Simmonds said: “He said it would be written in his statement, he hadn’t lied, and he didn’t know Logan was dead at the time.”

Ms Simmonds took Williamson to Lower Llansantffraid and an officer asked the defendant to sign some documentation and asked her about a “substantial injury”.

Ms Simmonds said: “I honestly believed [Logan] had wandered off and accidentally drowned in the river.”

Ms Rees said: “How did Angharad react?”

Ms Simmonds said: “She took off and ran off back to my vehicle. I waited for the medication to be handed to me and went back to the vehicle… I said to her: ‘What substantial injuries are they on about?’… She became upset and angry and said that was not something she could discuss on the phone… She said something wasn’t right… When I questioned her she didn’t answer me. When I asked her if she had told anyone about this she said: ‘Yes’.”

Officers told Williamson she was not allowed in the property due to forensics.

Ms Simmonds said: “They said Logan had to be removed from Bridgend to Cardiff – because he was so small they needed a special person to perform the post-mortem… [Williamson] became angry again and said: ‘Great, I have no home and a dead son’.

“I felt quite panicked as the situation was quite volatile and I asked police if this was something she needed to decide on right now as she was quite angry.

“She asked what a post-mortem was. I told her she didn’t need to know that but she said she wanted to go back to the hospital to dress Logan and wash him.”

Williamson and Cole went upstairs to speak to police and the youth came into the room.

Describing his demeanour Ms Simmonds said: “Happy. He wanted to size Dan (O’Brien) up – he was stood there with fists up and chest out as if to say: ‘Come on’. He was smiling, laughing, as if he was celebrating. I asked him to pipe down and go back into the living room and he did.”

Ms Simmonds described Williamson as upset and angry when she came downstairs and kicked a kitchen door. She told the witness police had told her the substantial injuries were cuts and bruises over Logan's body.

Ms Simmonds said: “She said she had to sign a form because he had grab marks. I aksed what she meant and Jay mouthed to me: ‘Rolling in the rocks and the river’.

“At that point I knew something wasn’t right. Me and Dan had exchanged a number of looks and I didn’t feel comfortable.”

Ms Rees said: “What interaction was there between Angharad and Jay?” Ms Simmonds said: “They hugged. Angharad looked normal.”

Ms Rees said: “Did she say anything about how she felt about Logan?”

Ms Simmonds said: “She said she missed punishing Logan, missed putting him in the naughty corner, and him being naughty. She said she missed shouting at him.”

Ms Rees said: “How did you feel when she said that?”

Ms Simmonds said: “I felt like it was desperation, out of control about what she had just been through… It was too much of a strange comment to make straight afterwards.

“I got very upset. That was the first time I saw Jay dry-heave, well up, and walk out of the kitchen because he couldn’t handle it.”

Ms Simmonds and Ms O’Brien went home but the witness spoke to Williamson later that evening.

The witness said: “She was concerned about media attention and news that was breaking already… [Dan and I] had a conversation and I rang 101."

On August 1 Ms Simmonds was called by Williamson about a tribute of teddy bears for Logan and asked her to put a post on Facebook.

Ms Simmonds said: “They asked if I could reach out to the community and I did.

11:21PHILIP DEWEY
Grandmother noticed 'marks' on Logan's face
Clare Williamson, who is Logan Mwangi's grandmother and the mother of defendant Angharad Williamson, said alarms had been fitted in the house after Williamson’s ex-husband had been convicted of domestic abuse.

RSBM. I took this to mean Logan's Dad but I'm not sure know as I think it came up before we knew about the marriage Jordan Hunt.

15:49Philip Dewey

'He was being sent to his room, being told off all the time, being denied cakes and confectionery'

When questioned by Peter Rouch QC, on behalf of Angharad Williamson, witness Jodie Simmonds was asked if his client had a “warm and big” personality. She agreed.

It was also put to her that Williamson was a good mother and was always “hugging and kissing” Logan. Ms Simmonds agreed.

Mr Rouch said things changed between Williamson and John Cole when she visited London with Logan to see his father.

Ms Simmonds agreed and said Cole had been trying to get hold of Williamson and had asked the witness to get hold of Williamson.

She said: “He was adamant she was having an affair with Logan’s father. Jay was adamant she had an affair when pregant and made racial marks towards Logan’s father and then towards Logan.”

Mr Rouch asks the witness if Logan’s personality changed.

Ms Simmonds said: “He was becoming more withdrawn because he was being punished all the time… He was being sent to his room, being told off all the time, being denied cakes and confectionery.”

Mr Rouch said: “Did he have a stammer?”

Ms Simmonds said: “Yes, it got worse.”

Mr Rouch turns to the events of July 31.

He refers to the conversation when Williamson told Ms Simmonds that “something wasn’t right”.

Mr Rouch said: “Did you know she had been telling police [a woman] had abducted Logan?”

Ms Simmonds said: “No.”

The barrister also asked if the witness knew that Williamson had been told she could return to the hospital and dress Logan but she said she had not been.

Mr Rouch refers back to the comment made by Williamson said she “missed punishing Logan”.

Mr Rouch said: “Was it said in an affectionate way?”

Ms Simmonds said: “She was very upset so it came across as hysterical. I found it a strange comment to say.”

Mr Rouch said: “It was a strange day. People say all sorts of things.”

Ms Simmonds said: “It wasn’t said in anger.”

The witness went on: “The relationship was strained after they returned from London… Between Cole and Logan.”

John Hipkin QC, for the youth, put it to the witness that his client’s happy demeanour was due to him seeing Daniel O’Brien.

Ms Simmonds said: “No, I disagree.”

She said Cole told her the youth was acting like that because he had seen Logan being pulled out of the river.

The witness has finished her evidence and the court adjourns for a short break.

Last edited:
16:24Philip Dewey

Witness claims Logan's mother used expletives to refer to the child

The trial resumes. The next live witness is Kevin Gorman.

He is a neighbour of Angharad Williamson in Lower Llansantffraid, Sarn.

Mr Gorman said Williamson lived at the property first and then John Cole started living there.

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC said: “What was Logan like?”

The witness said: “He was chatty and happy young boy… In the last 12 to 18 months his demeanour did change quite a lot. He went very withdrawn and quiet.”

Mr Gorman said he could hear raised voices from the property and he said the voices were Cole’s and Williamson’s.

He added: “[Their relationship] sound imbalanced to me and volatile but I didn’t know if any violence was going on.”

Ms Rees said: “Were there arguments?”

Mr Gorman said: “Oh yes.” When asked who had the better of the arguments he said: “Jay. Ann (Williamson) would apologise to him and he would calm down and they would be like a normal couple.”

Ms Rees said: “Did you hear the way they spoke to Logan?”

Mr Gorman said: “As time went on closer to what we’re talking about today it was getting worse and worse shouting at him – and I mean shouting at him. He would get quite upset, poor boy."

Ms Rees said: “Were you aware of incidents of how he was treated?”

Mr Gorman said: “There was a number. Two weeks before Logan’s demise I could hear Ann going out the door to school. He ran out to the gate and she said: ‘Don’t go through that *advertiser censored***** gate’.

“[Logan] shouted down to her friend with two young children – she was coming up the path. Logan shouted and [Williamson] said: “Logan I told you stop your *advertiser censored***** shouting, everyone can *advertiser censored***** hear you, shut up’.

“She said: ‘He’s being a *advertiser censored***** d***head again’. Ann said that to her friend about Logan

16:27Philip Dewey

'I heard him cry a lot'

Kevin Gorman, a neighbour of Angharad Williamson in Lower Llansantffraid, Sarn, is still giving evidence.

He tells the court he can remember lending Cole a strimmer when an incident happened.

The witness said: “[Logan] was in the house. I don’t know what was going on but Ann was shouting at him. Jay said: ‘Oh I’ll sort him out’ and told [Logan] to come out.

“They made him stand on the concrete and face the window… He had pyjamas on and nothing on his feet but it was summer – it wasn’t cold.

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC said: “How long was Logan stood facing the window?”

Mr Gorman said: “Half an hour…. He was there by the window, they were drinking coffee and chatting. Someone came down the street and told Logan to sit down on the step and he just sat there, hands on his knees.

“His teacher was coming down the street. He sat on the step. (The witness indicated Logan was looking at the flat)

“I was uncomfortable – there’s no need to do that or say that to a child. They haven’t done anything wrong."

Ms Rees said: “If Logan was shouted at how did he react?”

Mr Gorman said: “If shouting was going on I heard him cry a lot. I can’t say every week, every day. Some weeks it could be every day and some weeks it would go without nothing.”

Ms Rees said: “There came a time Logan isolated because of Covid – he had a positive test and needed to stay inside.”

Mr Gorman said: “Yes.”

Ms Rees said: “Was the window ever open for Logan?”

Mr Gorman said: “As far as I know, no.”

The witness said he previously fitted a new lock with a bolt on Williamson and Cole’s garden gate.

16:40Philip Dewey

Neighbour describes scene on morning of July 31

On July 30 last year Kevin Gorman, a neighbour of Angharad Williamson, said he heard an argument between Williamson and John Cole, who is known as Jay, but he did not hear Logan’s voice.

He said: “I didn’t hear Logan’s voice much at all with anything."

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC asked: "What was the tone of that argument?"

He replied: "Jay was loud and aggressive; [Williamson] was kind of the defence more. From what I could gather it was about mould at Maesglas. It went on for a little while.”

Mr Gorman said the argument began again half an hour later but he went to listen to music with headphones.

That evening he took his dogs out into the garden and he remembered lights being on at 5 Lower Llansantffraid.

He went to bed and was woken up at 6.50am on July 31 hearing Williamson shouting: “Logan, Logan, Logan”.

The witness put his dressing gown on and went downstairs to see what was happening.

He said: “Ann (Williamson) was outside running up and down the street shouting. She said Logan had been kidnapped. I said: ‘How has that happened?’ She explained it to me and was shouting Logan’s name."

He said Williamson left the gate of the property but then she returned while Cole and the youth defendant also arrived.

Ms Rees said: “How did they appear to be?”

Mr Gorman said: “They appeared to me normal, calm… [Williamson] said had they checked his favourite place for throwing stones. [Cole] said he had been there and went over to Maesglas. He told her to sit on the step and calm down.

"Police started coming in then. I exited then and left it to whatever was going on.”

16:57Philip Dewey

Neighbour concludes evidence and trial adjourns

David Elias QC, for John Cole, said his client asked witness Kevin Gorman, a neighbour of Angharad Williamson in Sarn, whether they needed to keep windows open or closed to stop the spread of Covid.

The witness said he had heard both to keep the window opened and keep the windows shut so he wasn’t sure.

Mr Elias said: “They were very concerned about Covid spreading?”

Mr Gorman said: “Yes.”

Peter Rouch QC, for Williamson, asked if Logan was “more like his usual self” when with Williamson.

Mr Gorman said: “He would be quiet but more chatty.”

Mr Rouch said: “What about when Jay, or John, was around?”

Mr Gorman said: “He was very quiet.”

The barrister also asked about the arguments between Cole and Williamson.

Mr Gorman said: “You could say [Cole] was the aggressor.”

When asked who made Logan stand by the wall outside Mr Gorman said: “Jay. He told him to stand there.”

The witness was asked about the reactions of the defendants to Logan’s disappearance. Mr Rouch said: “Is it right Ms Williamson was crying hysterically but the other two were just standing there?”

Mr Gorman confirmed this.

The witness has finished evidence and the trial is adjourned until 10.30am on Monday

I've had a quick look and I can't find it although I'm convinced that is what I read, I will have another look later, sorry if I've caused any confusion.
Possibly there was confusion between Logan's father and Jordan Hunt, and the report has since been corrected.

RSBM. I took this to mean Logan's Dad but I'm not sure know as I think it came up before we knew about the marriage Jordan Hunt.
Earlier in the case we did find out about the brief marriage, but I for one had completely forgotten it until today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1