UK - Logan Mwangi, 5, found dead in Wales River, Bridgend, 31 July 2021 *arrests, inc. minor* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The friend and AW mothers evidence, stating that Logan was well behaved and listened contradict early reports that JC and AW said Logan was hard to parent.
The statement by the friend that Logan was very timid when JC was around is very telling IMO

Defendant went to shop 'because Jay needed sugar'
The trial resumes.

The next live witness to give evidence is Claire Willicombe.

She said she had known John Cole since 2017 through her friend Daniel O’Brien.

In 2019 she met Angharad Williamson and was aware she had a son called Logan.

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC said: “Did you spend much time with them as a family?”

Ms Willicombe said: “No.”

She said the last time she saw them was in a park before the Covid-19 lockdown.

Ms Willicombe said: “We’d stop and talk, say: ‘Hi’ and: ‘How is everything?’.”

The witness breaks into tears at this point.

On July 31 last year Ms Willicombe visited a neighbour called Claire Davies and she was made aware a five-year-old boy had been found in the river by Pandy Park.

She telephoned Williamson who she described as “very upset”.

Ms Willicombe said: “I did ask her if it was Logan… She said: ‘What have you heard?’. She said she was very upset, said she had to go, and put the phone down…

“I thought it was strange but I thought it was common knowledge.”

Ms Rees said: “Did you become upset?”

Ms Willicombe said: “Yes. I said my door was always open and to stay strong.”

The witness said she saw Williamson at 12pm coming towards her house and she invited her in.

Ms Willicombe said: “[Williamson] said: ‘It’s a mess’.” The witness hugged her and told her to stay strong.

Ms Willicombe said: “She said she was on the way to the shop because Jay needed sugar. I offered to go with because I didn’t want her to be alone…

“She said people would know she was Logan’s mother because of the colour of her hair and then she put her hood up… I found it a little bit weird but I also thought she wanted to hide because of what went on.”

When they got to the shop Williamson received a call from Cole.

Ms Willicombe said: “She said: ‘I love you’... I think he asked where she was and the reply was: ‘In the shop, Claire’s with me, I love you’ and that was it.

“The shopkeeper made a joke saying to me: 'Are you in for beers today?’ and I said: ‘No, because it’s a sad day today’. I tried to tell the shopkeeper what had happened softly and she became upset and ran outside the shop. I put my arm around her and walked her home.

“She was talking, I can’t remember sadly…

“She said she felt suffocated and I said she could stay with me….”

Ms Rees said: “What did her focus appear to be on?”

Ms Willicombe said: “To get away…. She said: 'No, she would love to but…'.”

The witness said she saw Cole at the flat. She said: “He looked awful, red-eyed, upset, they both seemed very lost…

“He said: 'Come in for cuppa' and I said I’d leave them to sort things out and if they needed me they knew where I was.”

Ms Rees said: “How did you feel?”

Ms Willicombe said: “Very upset, very upset. I went back to Claire’s (Davies) house.”

She saw her again that day and ran over to her.

Ms Willicombe said: “I asked her if she wanted me to go to the shop with her… They brought a frozen chip bag…”

On August 1 Ms Willicombe saw the youth around 10am on his own walking.

She said: “I asked him if he was okay and his reply was: ‘I’m fine’. No emotion – very cold to be honest. I asked if they were okay and they said they were fine. Very blase.”

The witness later tried to ring Williamson but could not get through and she later heard she had been arrested.

Peter Rouch QC, for Williamson, described Logan as “clingy” to Wiliamson.

Ms Willicombe said: “Yes, my daughter’s the same, the single-parent cling.”

Mr Rouch said Logan would become “timid” if Cole was around.

Ms Willicombe said: “He was a very quiet boy, yes.”

The barrister also asked about Williamson “crying hysterically” when speaking about Logan being pulled from the river.

Breaking into tears herself, Ms Willicombe said: “Yes.”

The witness has finished her evidence and the court adjourns for lunch until 2pm.

Cole is definitely coming through the witness statements as a controller - controlling the relationship with AW mother, ringing up to check where AW is when she went to the shops, and trying to set boundaries of the interactions between AW and Logan whilst she was in hospital (what was that for? AW second pregnancy maybe?)

Cole is definitely coming through the witness statements as a controller - controlling the relationship with AW mother, ringing up to check where AW is when she went to the shops, and trying to set boundaries of the interactions between AW and Logan whilst she was in hospital (what was that for? AW second pregnancy maybe?)
Not to mention he didn't pass the test as the youth's carer.

The boy was running loose, doing whatever he wanted:
- playing violent games (18+) at 13
- bullying Logan
- attacking AW (in the garden)

Last edited:
Witness claims Williamson 'said she missed punishing Logan'
The trial resumes.

The next live witness is Daniel O’Brien. He said he met John Cole in 2017 and they used to train together in the gym five days a week.

He later met Angharad Williamson and Logan Mwangi, who he said called him “Uncle Dan”.

"We was fine – we was training together and that was it. We were just training partners you know," the witness says.

In 2019 Mr O'Brien lost contact with Cole.

On July 31 last year he received a call saying Logan had been found in the river and died. He went and bought flowers, cards, and a teddy bear in order to pay his respects.

He said: “I was in shock, you know.”

Mr O’Brien visited Cole and Williamson at Maesglas and stayed for two and a half hours.

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC said: “How did Angharad react?”

The witness replied: "She was acting really strange, nervous. Something weren’t right like, you know… She said she missed punishing Logan.

“I was in shock, I looked at [my partner] and shook my head. [Cole] was heaving a lot like he was going to be sick.”

Ms Rees said: “How did [the youth] act?”

Mr O’Brien said: “It was like he was celebrating – he seemed happy. It was a shock really – I couldn’t believe it like.”

Ms Rees said: “Did John [Cole] say anything about what had happened?”

Mr O’Brien said: “I tried asking him but he kept changing the subject… They said he was found in the river by the yellow house.”

The next day he found out Cole, Williamson, and the youth had been arrested.

Ms Rees said: “Did [Cole] say anything about his relationship with Logan?”

Mr O’Brien said: "The only thing he said to me was he didn’t like Logan – that was back in the summer that was, 2019 I think it was.”

The witness said he heard Cole speaking to the police on July 31.

Mr O’Brien said: “He said he’d changed the locks from that property down to the other property, from Maesglas to Lower Llansantffraid.

“The officer turned round and said how would [the woman accused of taking Logan] know the locks had been changed. He didn’t answer.

“He was very nervous. He smoked *advertiser censored* after *advertiser censored*.”

Not to mention he didn't pass the test as the youth carer.

The boy was running loose, doing whatever he wanted:
- playing violent games (18+) at 13
- bullying Logan
- attacking AW (in the garden)
I wonder why AW left Ben Mwangi due to violence yet stayed with Cole? Although JC apparently lived in s separate house/flat, but she still allowed him to stay at her house? IMO, JC didn't want Logan, he wanted AW, his child-the baby, and the youth and poor Logan didn't fit into his plans

'Perhaps you didn’t remember the context about how she would miss him even when he was naughty'
David Elias QC, for defendant John Cole, is now cross-examining witness Daniel O’Brien.

He said: “John Cole never told you he didn’t like Logan did he?”

Mr O’Brien said: “He did… We were outside in the back having a *advertiser censored*, Logan was playing in the garden, and he just came out with it.”

He added: “Basically I went away for 18 months. While I was away he tried causing problems for me and [my partner] Jodie.”

Mr Elias said: “When you 'went away' what do you mean?”

Mr O’Brien said: “I went to prison.”

Mr Elias said: “Did you hold a grudge against him for that?”

Mr O’Brien said: “No, not at all.”

Mr Elias said: “You haven’t made that up because you held a grudge against him?”

Mr O’Brien said: "No, I didn’t hold a grudge.”

Mr Elias said: “You were horrified that any of the people you had been with were involved in the death of Logan?”

Mr O’Brien said: “Yeah obviously.”

When questioned about the youth’s actions by Peter Rouch QC, who is defending Williamson, Mr O’Brien said the youth was “sizing him up”.

Mr Rouch then said: “You describe Angharad being a nervous wreck and upset on and off?"

The witness replied: "Yeah. She also dropped to the floor a bit when we walked in."

Mr Rouch asked: "You said Angharad said she would miss Logan?”

Mr O’Brien said: “She just turned round and said: ‘I’ll miss punishing him and telling him to stand in the corner’. I looked at Jodie and shook my head and thought ‘Is she really saying this instead of something positive?'.”

Mr Rouch said: “She was saying how much she would miss Logan – even miss him being naughty and putting him in the naughty corner.”

Mr O’Brien said: “No, that’s not how it came out.”

Mr Rouch said: “Perhaps you didn’t remember the context about how she would miss him even when he was naughty.”

The witness said: “No… We thought: ‘That’s a bit weird, why would you say that?’.”

John Hipkin QC, for the youth, asks Mr O’Brien if his client liked him and if that was the reason why he was happy.

The witness said: “[The youth] liked me, yeah. He was happy and celebrating. It was strange like.”

Mr O’Brien has finished his evidence.

I wonder why AW left Ben Mwangi due to violence yet stayed with Cole? Although JC apparently lived in s separate house/flat, but she still allowed him to stay at her house? IMO, JC didn't want Logan, he wanted AW, his child-the baby, and the youth and poor Logan didn't fit into his plans

i don’t think it was Ben Mwangi who was violent.

I wonder why AW left Ben Mwangi due to violence yet stayed with Cole? Although JC apparently lived in a separate house/flat, but she still allowed him to stay at her house? IMO, JC didn't want Logan, he wanted AW, his child-the baby, and the youth and poor Logan didn't fit into his plans

I haven't heard any evidence of Ben Mwangi being violent towards AW

I haven't heard any evidence of Ben Mwangi being violent towards AW
In an earlier report it stated that Aw left Essex as Ben Mwangi assaulted her, not saying he has, but that's what is alledged

You're probably right, but AW, in an earlier report, said that she left Essex as Ben Mwangi assaulted her. maybe Ben Mwangi will be called as a witness?

The report I read on here said just that the relationship had broken down.

Mr Rouch said: “Did Ben Mwangi come to stay with you, Angharad, and Logan in your home for a few weeks?”

Ms Williamson said: “Yes."

Mr Rouch said: “They moved back to Essex for a short time before Angharad and Logan came back to live with you. The relationship with Ben Mwangi had broken down.”

Ms Williamson said: “Yes.”

I thought it was the interim partner/husband, the squaddie who I hadn’t previously been aware of.
In the evidence, it’s been said that locks were fitted after AW’s ex husband allegedly was violent. As far as I’ve read today, she was married to JH who lived in barracks (context being, so AW and Logan stayed with her mum). I’m thinking the same as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz