UK - Logan Mwangi, 5, found dead in Wales River, Bridgend, 31 July 2021 *arrests, inc. minor*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see that. I sometimes go to the bathroom very early like that---and I used to peek in my kid's rooms as I went down the hall.If one was missing I would have run around and checked the doors for sure.
Oh I get up in the night, but it’s usually much earlier than that- 2.00/3.00 (weak bladder) If I was woke at 5.30 I would be awake for the morning, particularly with a young baby. 5.30, just seems a strange strange time- sadly I’m sure we will soon get a time of death.

The mother has an 18-month-old baby (born in January 2020) so it's plausible that she would happen to be awake at 5.30am because the baby is fussing, go downstairs to get some milk or nappies or whatever, notice the back door is open, panic and check her five-year-old's bedroom.

It's currently school summer holidays in Wales so neither of the children would have been in school for the last two weeks anyway, even if they hadn't been self-isolating.

Such a tragedy for this beautiful child.

edited by me - correcting the age of the baby, I think it was actually born in 2020 which means it's definitely still young enough to be up that early!

Last edited:
The mother has an eight-month-old baby (born in January) so it's plausible that she would happen to be awake at 5.30am because the baby is fussing, go downstairs to get some milk or nappies or whatever, notice the back door is open, panic and check her five-year-old's bedroom.

It's currently school summer holidays in Wales so neither of the children would have been in school for the last two weeks anyway, even if they hadn't been self-isolating.

Such a tragedy for this beautiful child.
Before the arrests announced, I thought mom was up early to check on Logan (reportedly with covid) and discovered he was gone and the back door ajar.

I can’t believe the police would go so far as to actually arresting the 13 year old without a very solid reason for doing so…
All three were arrested for suspicion of murder. Suspects may have been accusing each other -- we just don't know. Until actual charges are filed, anything is possible. MOO

ETA: add link

In the UK the purpose of an arrest is to secure evidence that tends to prove OR REFUTE the allegations against the detained person (DP).

This being the case where an officer suspects an offence has been committed, they arrest on suspicion and then secure evidence.

The Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 is strict on overall times of detention and there are reviews by an officer not below the rank of Inspector at 6 hours, and then at 9 hours after the first review and then again after a further 9 hours.

If the investigation is going to be protracted, the DP can be released on bail pending further enquiries.

Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984

Last edited:
Did I read something about them being captured on a doorbell (assuming it’s one with a camera) carrying Logan out? If a genuine accident had occurred, there would be no need to cover up anything.

All three were arrested for suspicion of murder. Suspects may have been accusing each other -- we just don't know. Until actual charges are filed, anything is possible. MOO

I agree.

I just would have though the arrest of a 13 yr old is quite out of the ordinary unless there is quite a reasonable suspicion- whereas I would not be surprised if, for example, the actual threshold of suspicion was lower for the adults. I think using arrest as a tactic (rather than eg just taking in for questioning) for the adults gives a certain level of formality to the interview process - the important differences between questioning and arrest i don’t think are as relevant when talking to a minor as they are less likely to comprehend the importance of the difference.

Also, I am not sure if there are any UK lawyers on here who could opine, but am I right I thinking the minor’s parents would normally be present for any such interview if arrested? But, presumably, if the parents are also under arrest then the role of a designated adult (or whatever the term is for the impartial observer to the interview to ensure fair treatment of said minor) would then be carried out by social services, rather than by one of the adults who were potentially present at the alleged crime?

It seems as if it could be their own doorbell camera (if the report is accurate)

46188343-9851327-image-a-92_1627911108029.jpg

Officers are thought to have removed video footage from a doorbell camera on the exterior of the family home, seen today
Pictured: Funny and polite' five-year-old boy found dead in river | Daily Mail Online

It seems as if it could be their own doorbell camera (if the report is accurate)

Officers are thought to have removed video footage from a doorbell camera on the exterior of the family home, seen today
Pictured: Funny and polite' five-year-old boy found dead in river | Daily Mail Online

Do door bell cameras actually have the footage inside them? Is there some kind of hard drive that can't be tampered with? I have a cctv camera but the recordings are held on a totally separate box,you wouldn't need the camera itself. Are door bell cams different?

I agree.

I just would have though the arrest of a 13 yr old is quite out of the ordinary unless there is quite a reasonable suspicion- whereas I would not be surprised if, for example, the actual threshold of suspicion was lower for the adults. I think using arrest as a tactic (rather than eg just taking in for questioning) for the adults gives a certain level of formality to the interview process - the important differences between questioning and arrest i don’t think are as relevant when talking to a minor as they are less likely to comprehend the importance of the difference.

Also, I am not sure if there are any UK lawyers on here who could opine, but am I right I thinking the minor’s parents would normally be present for any such interview if arrested? But, presumably, if the parents are also under arrest then the role of a designated adult (or whatever the term is for the impartial observer to the interview to ensure fair treatment of said minor) would then be carried out by social services, rather than by one of the adults who were potentially present at the alleged crime?

It is true that parents would normally be present for interviews of minors. In their absence, an appropriate adult would be assigned, such as a social worker. However, we don't yet know the nature of the relationship between the 13 year old and Logan. They may or may not be brothers, and they may not share a parent at all if the 13 year old is the child of the male being interviewed and not the son of the female. So, there may be be another parent on the scene who can attend.

I can see that. I sometimes go to the bathroom very early like that---and I used to peek in my kid's rooms as I went down the hall.If one was missing I would have run around and checked the doors for sure.
Oh I get up in the night, but it’s usually much earlier than that- 2.00/3.00 (weak bladder) If I was woke at 5.30 I would be awake for the morning, particularly with a young baby. 5.30, just seems a strange strange time- sadly I’m sure we will soon get a time of death.
Do door bell cameras actually have the footage inside them? Is there some kind of hard drive that can't be tampered with? I have a cctv camera but the recordings are held on a totally separate box,you wouldn't need the camera itself. Are door bell cams different?
no, footage is stored externally on a phone or laptop- but I think they have just shrink the statement and it’s footage rather than the actual doorbell they have taken.

Last edited:
It is true that parents would normally be present for interviews of minors. In their absence, an appropriate adult would be assigned, such as a social worker. However, we don't yet know the nature of the relationship between the 13 year old and Logan. They may or may not be brothers, and they may not share a parent at all if the 13 year old is the child of the male being interviewed and not the son of the female. So, there may be be another parent on the scene who can attend.
Parents have to be informed- that doesn’t mean parents will be present in the interviews- an adult has to be available- it could be a member of social services. That is down to police discretion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1