Deceased/Not Found UK - Margaret Fleming, 19, Inverclyde, Scotland, 17 Dec 1999 *Guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why did Margaret's mother or other family not ask to see her? I am not blaming them but I'm staggered this might have been kept secret for 17 years. Crazy!

Maybe she didn't get along with her family and chose to leave. It could be her mum had dementia or her own mental health issues.

I would like to know if any of her relatives are still alive, it's not been said if any are.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Yup, but that's referring to the enhanced rates of PIP (replacement for DLA) which would be paid to the claimant (Margaret) - and not Carers Allowance which would be paid to a carer. They may well be referring to a reconsideration request to get a higher rate of PIP, but the article would be incorrect in describing that as carers allowance. The only other thing I can think of is the local authority Direct Payments that I mentioned in an earlier post. But I don't think that would involve DWP, as it's a local government thing.

It's probably not that important a detail to worry about ... the main point is that a request for extra care-related money was made and that led to an investigation which led to the police turning up on her doorstep :(

I don't think it would be possible to get carers allowance if Margaret wasn't receiving DLA over the years? I'm sure you have to be on DLA for a carer to get carers allowance for you. I'm really baffled how they managed to deal with the DWP/Local job Centre over the years without Margaret having to be seen in person or spoken to.

I don't think it would be possible to get carers allowance if Margaret wasn't receiving DLA over the years? I'm sure you have to be on DLA for a carer to get carers allowance for you. I'm really baffled how they managed to deal with the DWP/Local job Centre over the years without Margaret having to be seen in person or spoken to.

Yes, that's right - Carers Allowance is payable if you care for someone who receives DLA/PIP. But as far as I'm aware, there's no such thing as 'Enhanced Carers Allowance' which is what the original article referred to - so I was just trying to work out what they meant to say (e.g. enhanced PIP award from DWP, extra carer funding from LA etc.).

It does seem amazing that nobody would have seen her in 17 years but it's certainly not impossible for a long term / lifetime DLA claim. I think it would be next to impossible for ESA, but she may not have claimed ESA.

Extremely sad that no friends or family saw her in 17 years.

I'm really starting to wonder could there be more to this missing woman than benefit fraud after an accidental or natural death. The dig reminds me of when police were digging for Heather West who happened to have been horrifically abused for years before being murdered.

I think DWP made their own investigation before they have sent authorities to carers home and it all evolved from there. There could be of course also different triggers, questions or "tips" by someone.

On another note, would not carers face already automatic jail time just on fraud basis?
I had shivers down my spine when I read that male carer enjoyed "sea diving and boating"... Poor Margaret could be anywhere.

I guess we can't completely discount the possibility that whatever 'social work' issue was bringing the police to her door was something Margaret was aware of and worried about. Such that she knew they'd be coming, and decided to run away beforehand.

But it just seems so unlikely that someone who has been invisible for 17 years, and who has daily care needs, would be able to run away by herself and stay hidden all this time...

"Det Ch Insp Paul Livingstone also said Ms Fleming had enjoyed visiting Port Bannatyne and Wemyss Bay.

He said CCTV and door-to-door inquiries had failed to yield any sightings."

(Source: BBC)

I didn't notice her mum was still alive. Hmmm indeed!

From the little I can see through the windows, it'll take an age to search that property. :( It looks stuffed to the rafters.

Hoarders. She might be under all the junk inside the house, rather than buried in the garden :( I don't think LE could even get a cadaver dog inside that house, it would be too dangerous for the poor dog!

I noticed that the carer had shared misper posts too - sign of a conscience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder did the hoard exist when Margaret moved in or did it come after?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
USE
Back