Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In June 1945 a young boy named Derek Roscoe Tyson drowned in the River Wyre at St Michael's which also appears to be the exact same location. The river was described as 8 feet deep and "treacherous" at that place with the river bed fluctuating in depth. Back then, the area was protected by "wire". That was in summer though and obviously conditions will change but still interesting info.

Source:BNA Home | Search the archive | British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• 87702F63-9128-4286-96A5-582EDDE4A824.jpeg
    87702F63-9128-4286-96A5-582EDDE4A824.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 22
I still can’t get my head around possible abduction. Which road would a car be close enough and unobserved by residents/random dog walkers at mid morning to drag a grown woman to it with excitable dog in tow?
You and me both.
If we had a report of her being chatted up by 2 'suspicious' men near a tatty red van , it would be a different matter

The divers were all helped out by at least one other person and they are fit individuals trained for the work not wearing winter clothing. Good point about the air bubble caused by the coat.

Nasty situation.

IMO very plausible it could have been a simple trip when standing up from the bench. Once you are moving down a slope there is very little you can do to stop yourself.

Some years ago I was walking down a pavement near Victoria station and tripped on a raised paving slab. I walk quite quickly and found myself running straight towards a plate glass window. Luckily I managed to stop.

Accidental trips must account for huge numbers of otherwise inexplicable accidents.
I think there is a reasonable chance that the divers may have missed her the first time and that she was in the deeper part of the river around the bench. Nicola disappeared on the 27th of January and SGI began searching on the 6th of February, 10 full days later, surely long enough to be carried over the weir and transported a number of miles downstream.

Have you got a link to a picture of the water on 27 Jan? better still at approx 9:30 ? and better still showing the river is below the level of the weir ?
No i havent and i understand why you would think it would be different on a different day, however look at any of the police videos and go and look at the water above the weir <modsnip: opinion stated as fact>

Last edited by a moderator:
Just reading up about "deep holes" and how they form in riverbeds

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230212_203919_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230212_203919_Samsung Internet.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20230212_204132_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230212_204132_Samsung Internet.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20230212_204138_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230212_204138_Samsung Internet.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 50
As the water does flow, then there must be an undercurrent.
Yes according to the definition of a deep hole it is an area where fish will shelter from the current and external hazards and occasional insects will be delivered into the hole but the current above.

It seems to me there is some sort of eddy effect and something could get pinned in a certain position.

I did this link before but it is interesting in this scenario

I still can’t get my head around possible abduction. Which road would a car be close enough and unobserved by residents/random dog walkers at mid morning to drag a grown woman to it with excitable dog in tow?
NB was last seen by a witness in the upper field. It's a stretch I know, but if she was abducted, then they knew her routine. See the maps of the area, there's a road leading to the upper field, slightly NW of her last known location. I think I saw another map showing that road was a blind spot for CCTV, but will have to locate it.

I think there is a reasonable chance that the divers may have missed her the first time and that she was in the deeper part of the river around the bench. Nicola disappeared on the 27th of January and SGI began searching on the 6th of February, 10 full days later, surely long enough to be carried over the weir and transported a number of miles downstream.
Don't know if you've seen it and I can't remember where, but local fishermen are saying that the river was higher at the time of NB disappearance. Also saying that the tide was coming in at the time for 6 hours after. Also that there is lots of silt in the river because of the weir. I can't claim to understand rivers, not my expertise, but I would have thought local fishermen would have knowledge.

IMO very plausible it could have been a simple trip when standing up from the bench. Once you are moving down a slope there is very little you can do to stop yourself.
Your hands? Completely disagree. The slope isn't that steep and also levels off slightly before the drop down to the river. You naturally brace your fall and the clothing and shoes has high friction with the ground. One could trip near the edge but implausible you would roll down the hill from the bench

In June 1945 a young boy named Derek Roscoe Tyson drowned in the River Wyre at St Michael's which also appears to be the exact same location. The river was described as 8 feet deep and "treacherous" at that place with the river bed fluctuating in depth. Back then, the area was protected by "wire". That was in summer though and obviously conditions will change but still interesting info.

Source:BNA Home | Search the archive | British Newspaper Archive

Just reading up about "deep holes" and how they form in riverbeds

At the young lad's inquest in July 1945, holes in the river bed were mentioned.

News report said there had not been a drowning in that location for twenty years but an inquest contributor mentioned that they thought floods had made "deep holes"

At the young lad's inquest in July 1945, holes in the river bed were mentioned.

News report said there had not been a drowning in that location for twenty years but an inquest contributor mentioned that they thought floods had made "deep holes"
Thanks for reading & adding all these. I haven't been registered there for a long time but these old cases are very useful.

Wouldn't the school phone rather than sending someone running to look for Nicola? And you would send a member of the staff, so it would be noticed who had disappeared?

I grew up a 5 minute walk from junior school, with landline as there were no mobiles in those days, and there was always a call if something was wrong; no-one walked to the house, even though they knew exactly where it was.
The school did phone Paul. He mentioned it in his Channel 5 interview and it’s in various newspapers including:

I suppose a flood event would dig the silt and rubbish out of the hole and make it deeper and cleaner.

There was some water about quite recently in that area but I don't know if it was actual flooding. High levels certainly. This gauge is below the weir but the heights are in metres and that Weir is only small so at some point it will become irrelevant. It seems to be there to keep water in that section of the River in summer. Perhaps it was installed by the owners of the stately home so they could go boating.

Gaugemap website

IMG_20230212_210557.jpg

It looks like the area above the Weir is influenced by the tide when there is high fluvial flow i.e water coming down the River as a result of rainfall.

I suppose a flood event would dig the silt and rubbish out of the hole and make it deeper and cleaner.

There was some water about quite recently in that area but I don't know if it was actual flooding. High levels certainly. This gauge is below the weir but the heights are in metres and that Weir is only small so at some point it will become irrelevant. It seems to be there to keep water in that section of the River in summer. Perhaps it was installed by the owners of the stately home so they could go boating.

Gaugemap website

View attachment 402493
Perhaps,!!!!

If anyone can research the incident of Elizabeth Rawcliffe falling into the river in 1926 it seems to be similar to the police working theory. It happened at "Fiddler's Neck", do we know where this is and if it is the same location? Maybe previous colloquial name? She was spotted and the person who waded in to help said it was deeper than expected. She disappeared under the water in front of the rescuer but she stuck an arm out and he managed to grab it.

Update - just seen that the Rowanwater site refers to accessing the "Fiddle Neck" in its site rules so could be the same place.

what about this too?
Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 12.54.53.png
'Hot spot ( Fishing hot spot?)
- Fiddleneck'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors