Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the police still do those searches where they all stand in a big line and walk along really slowly literally combing the ground for evidence?

I can remember seeing that a lot in the past but not so much recently, not just in this case. Do they use other methods now? I suppose we haven’t been told of everything that the police have done though. I would have expected them to check the local area, including places she could have crawled into if Ill or injured…
I think both police and volunteers still do those types of searches, usually in murder or abduction cases. There was a huge organized search like that in the Jayme Closs case, after both her parents were murdered and she was abducted.

Maybe the community could help organize such a search. I bet a lot of people would volunteer.

Do the police still do those searches where they all stand in a big line and walk along really slowly literally combing the ground for evidence?

I can remember seeing that a lot in the past but not so much recently, not just in this case. Do they use other methods now? I suppose we haven’t been told of everything that the police have done though. I would have expected them to check the local area, including places she could have crawled into if Ill or injured…
It wasn't just the police searching!
They were working with very experienced SARs

Our thanks to those continuing to support the police with the search, from Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service utilising their staff and drone capability, Bowland Pennine Mountain Rescue team and the North West Underwater Search Team.

This was a multi agency land search.

Yes, I've witnessed first hand a fingertip search. Where officers get on hands and knees next to each other in a line and slowly move forward gathering up all and any evidence. They do this in homicide cases. I believe for Abduction/Missing Persons or similar they do this standing/walking slowly.
The fingertip search I interrupted was following a homicide in London that I was a witness to, and resultingly I was a prosecution witness for the murder trial at the Old Bailey.

Last edited:
I’m confused about the phone call. They said she was connected; does that mean she was speaking with someone? Or had she called in to a teleconference and was just waiting? I haven’t seen that discussed so may have missed it. Seems weird to call in to a business meeting and not disconnect if leaving the area?
As I understand it, NB was on a work Teams call starting 9am, she joined 9:01am, but muted without video. Believe she was just listening not actively participating.
Yes, phone found still connected to the Teams call. She didn't disconnect.

Unless she knocked herself unconscious, she could have just stood up. No way did she go in the river. IMO
I’d disagree. Momentum, thrashing and panic may put you further out in the water - into the deeper section. IMO you wouldn’t necessarily fall in a direct vertical line, particular if stumbling. It’s been said on quite a few occasion: it’s entirely feasible to fall in very cold water and instantly succumb to shock. Sadly, accidental drowning does and can happen - irrespective of the water depth or the swimming competency of the victim.

I think both police and volunteers still do those types of searches, usually in murder or abduction cases. There was a huge organized search like that in the Jayme Closs case, after both her parents were murdered and she was abducted.

Maybe the community could help organize such a search. I bet a lot of people would volunteer.
There were already several public searches as well as official searches from B Mountain Rescue and Fire Brigade professional searches.

Police also supervised community searches.

As I understand it, NB was on a work Teams call starting 9am, she joined 9:01am, but muted without video. Believe she was just listening not actively participating.
Yes, phone found still connected to the Teams call. She didn't disconnect.
Correct. Which would suggest something happening suddenly - like falling into a river.

May have already been discussed I've not caught up here since the last thread but I found this info whilst digging about 2 days ago. I've no knowledge on boreholes but there seems a few around that section of the river at st michael's probably due to the flooding and part of the defence system, could be nothing but I'm sure someone with more knowledge on boreholes could offer further info and whether a body could end up in one?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230213_113010_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230213_113010_Samsung Internet.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20230213_112134_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230213_112134_Samsung Internet.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 35
May have already been discussed I've not caught up here since the last thread but I found this info whilst digging about 2 days ago. I've no knowledge on boreholes but there seems a few around that section of the river at st michael's probably due to the flooding and part of the defence system, could be nothing but I'm sure someone with more knowledge on boreholes could offer further info and whetherbody could end up in one?
I deal with geoenvironmental investigations on a daily basis. Boreholes are not wide at all (perhaps max of 10cm diameter). So no highly unlikely. IMO.

I
I can imagine her trying to get her boots off if she was in the water and trying to swim to safety and had she been wearing a hat or a scarf, they could have come off. Again there’s no hat in the CCTV and witnesses haven’t mentioned it, despite there being numerous photos of her wearing one. But unless she could stand up, I imagine it would be practically impossible to try to shed coats, or any other item of clothing.

I have lots of winter coats and there’s gloves in all of them!

JMO MOO
She had her hair in a pony tail. Hats and pony tails don't work. Someone else said this a few pages back and having long hair I totally agree.

I had a quick look at social media this morning, no more than two minutes and some of the things that are being said are horrific. As per WS rules I won't quote or mention what but I'm sure they are available to see. I'm so thankful for WS, especially the mods and also their rules. The stuff being said elsewhere is libellous.

I’d disagree. Momentum, thrashing and panic may put you further out in the water - into the deeper section. IMO you wouldn’t necessarily fall in a direct vertical line, particular if stumbling. It’s been said on quite a few occasion: it’s entirely feasible to fall in very cold water and instantly succumb to shock. Sadly, accidental drowning does and can happen - irrespective of the water depth or the swimming competency of the victim.
Isn’t the point that whilst no one has said it’s not feasible to drown there, it is vanishingly unlikely that she wouldn’t have been found if she had?

Anyway, good day all. I’m new to the forum having drifted in from elsewhere.

SIO Det Sup Rebecca Smith has worked on some big cases, organised serious crime and child abuse investigations
When we are talking about serious organised crime, could this be financially related? I.E loan sharks (kidnap due to non payment) etc. Not saying it is in this case but just thinking of another angle. JMO.

Can someone about the same weight please go and jump in the river and video the outcome.

Dummy to re-enact a plunge in the river senario. Someone who is water competent.

As daft as it sounds I was thinking the same. I didn't sleep much last night but you know when you just think "give me a padded coat, some wellies and a safety rope and I'll go and see what happens". It wouldn't work though because it would have to be done repeatedly at different speeds and height of entry as velocity on entry would obviously make a difference to where in the river a person would end up.

I've also seen people saying that the river isn't deep at that point. On the anglers map it is labelled as "deep hole" which is a recognised fishing feature and it does indeed refer to a deep hole, deeper than the river bed around it. It has also been discussed on previous pages by people familiar with the term.

Isn’t the point that whilst no one has said it’s not feasible to drown there, it is vanishingly unlikely that she wouldn’t have been found if she had?

Anyway, good day all. I’m new to the forum having drifted in from elsewhere.
Nice to meet you. Based upon the many cases of drowning that have been posted on here (some of the same river) - it's conceivable a body could be found several months later despite how ever much searching has been done previously...

As daft as it sounds I was thinking the same. I didn't sleep much last night but you know when you just think "give me a padded coat, some wellies and a safety rope and I'll go and see what happens". It wouldn't work though because it would have to be done repeatedly at different speeds and height of entry as velocity on entry would obviously make a difference to where in the river a person would end up.

I've also seen people saying that the river isn't deep at that point. On the anglers map it is labelled as "deep hole" which is a recognised fishing feature and it does indeed refer to a deep hole, deeper than the river bed around it. It has also been discussed on previous pages by people familiar with the term.
You'd have to be very careful, I watched a cold-immersion movie. In one breath (2-3 litres) you can swallow more than the 1.5 litres of water for the lethal dose for drowning, there is also a risk of a cardiac response and then even hypothermia. Although the former is the highest risk of death.

Don't think depth - think cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member