Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't understand how the family / police making these statements has prevented or deterred anyone from selling stories. Can anyone who understands the press / media explain please? Surely anyone with a salacious tale is still legit able to sell it to a tabloid if they have some credible story to sell?

It doesn’t but they put the correct ‘story’ out first - they control the narrative.

I should imagine the press have said look we have this story - what do you want to say about it? Lancashire Police notify the family of the situation - we could do our own press release so that we put it kindly and sympathetically what do you think?

Either way this was going to come out - and being in the family position I would want to put it out there first - not potentially someone who has probably zero insight into the situation getting there first.

It's so sad that NB was not able to continue the process of finding a more suitable version of HRT. It can take years to find the right one...five, in my own case, and one of the ones I was first put on caused a terrifying sudden loss of vision, so I came off that pretty quick.

new links - so the disappearance is still getting attention

Only bugbear with this interview is that the appeal for info on the only exit path ( not covered by cctv) has been made throughout the investigation - here's a couple of links from 30 Jan & 3rd Feb

3rd Feb - appeal for dashcam

'But they said there are other lines of inquiry, including a 'very small area' leading out of the park which has no CCTV nearby and could be crucial to the development of the investigation. ..Detectives are also working behind the scenes to analyse CCTV and dashcam videos, and members of the public with footage which could be useful have been urged to come forward.'
Nicola Bulley's friends and family question police's drowning theory

30th Jan
“We appeal for anyone who may have been driving through the village of St Michael’s last Friday morning at about 9.15am or who may have dashcam footage that could be of use to us,
Missing dogwalker´s phone found on bench by river as police appeal...

Last edited:
It's not that common though is it? It's circa 3.5% (though I think a tad higher for females) of suicides. If you take the circa 1,500 female suicides per year in England and Wales that's around 50 a year in the country.

(I am so sorry to hear about your mother)

It doesn’t have to be a common method tho - it just needs to be one incident. In the 3 weeks since NB went missing statistically another 12 people in Eng & Wales only would have chosen to take their own lives this way (ONS put suicidal drowning as 275 / year Eng & Wales only).

I think an accident would mean she went in the water near the bench - but suicidal intent would be that she walked downstream on the river bank to deeper water or to exit the river and access open countryside to take her own life in woodland possibly.

new links to commentary . ( WEP are a registered party in UK)

Lawyer gives his opinion but concedes that a court would consider was the release proportionate or justified for policing operations , ( it would be for court to judge whether it was unlawful or whether it was a misuse of private info)

former politician and presenter Ed Balls interviews Nusrit Mehtab ( also discussing the point I was posting about, why did Sally Riley say that at press conference on Feb 3rd? could state of mind/health have been minimised at early stage?) Also in contrast to what Mehtab says, LP did not label menopause itself as a ' specific vulnerability' afaik

presenter ( sorry don't know her name) asks a sensible question imo, about the disproportionate level of attention vs number of people who are still missing and go missing every day

Interesting that Sky's Kay Burley is actually in St Michael's this morning

Last edited:
In my opinion it is Miss Bulley's own private business and it's a poor excuse to release it because people are threatening to sell stories to newspapers. It has already caused more speculation and distraction as now everybody is discussing menopause and alcoholism. It has added nothing to the actual investigation into Miss Bulley's disappearance.
I agree. It is not a valid reason for LE to release NB's health issues, at least not to the extent they did. I heard the family agreed to it, along with LE, to preempt media from doing so. But it is still sets a precedent and is not normally done. Would NB have approved it as well. We don't know. I also find it invasive to discuss her health issues in detail through further speculating about them in public; her privacy should be respected even if others do not. IMO. We know the basics, that is enough.

Last edited:
Last edited:
So the Daily Mail strongly condemns LE for publicly sharing that troubling info, and first thing they did is publicly share that same info, to an even larger audience.
I read that article twice but I still don't understand what a 20 year old missing persons case has to do with this one. The title doesn't even make sense because it's not clear who he's arguing with, other than himself.

It reads like an opinion piece by someone who is very angry and bitter.

It reads like an opinion piece by someone who is very angry and bitter.
That's a prerequisite to work the for the Daily Heil.

Given the power of the media, wouldn't it be great if one day it was used for good, perhaps to help condition us all to be kind to each other, rather than divide us. I can only hope that anybody out there who sees NB as weak, or hysterical, will not one day suffer from their own challenges. It can happen to the best of us, NB is a human, first and foremost. and I hope she's out there somewhere, and can get the help she needs to see her through to a better time.

Why on earth are some of these commentators comparing the menopause to erectile dysfunction? Some women aren't just affected by the emotional side of going through the menopause as you could say a man would be about ED, but it can also cause hugely debilitating physical symptoms of which are releavant to a missing person beyond their MH. As far as I know unless linked to a secondary condition ED doesn't do this? They're downplaying how severe this is for many women to push their own agenda to the police and media; both of why I do agree are overall generally misogynistic (JMO).

Edit to add: I am referring to 'celebs' on twitter or in the media and not posters here.

Your posts on this have been very thought provoking and interesting and it sounds like you have personal experience of this and I am sorry to hear that. What I would say is that suicide by drowning in the UK at least is not common at all (<5% of cases in males or females)... reference here from Office of National Statistics.

In addition, the police say she made a call to book a play date for her children shortly before her disappearance. This does not to me seem to be the action of someone who was in a suicidal frame of mind.

The Occam's razor point is well made which is all about the simplest, most parsimonious explanation being the most likely. I agree that Occam's razor would suggest she ended up in the water (rather than a convoluted explanation of an abduction, being forced to walk down a path into a vehicle, leaving the dog and phone behind and not being seen at any point by a dashcam or similar).
However, given that the extensive search of the river and that at this point is is unlikely she is currently in the water near the bench area, wouldn't Occam's razor suggest that she exited the water somewhere locally rather than the much less likely event of being swept away, over a weir, round the multiple river bends in a relatively slow moving river ?

When she first went missing, Occam's razor suggested she ended up in the water and would be found in the immediate area. However, following the search that is now demonstrably much less likely to be the case so the probability of her falling in AND remaining in the water in that area is much less.

I really think there is a good chance she got out on the South side of the river and may have walked away from the river edge in a hypothermic state for some distance which is why she has not yet been found. If she had exited on the North river bank in the local area she would probably have been able to summon help at the caravan site.

It is also plausible that she might have attempted to walk home from that side in a hypothermic state given that at that point she had lost her phone and car keys probably would not have worked or might have been lost in the water.
Re play date & activity that morning .. just going through the motions ? JMO

I still believe what I've believed from day one - that it is a tragic accidental drowning. The recent revelations have only added to that belief, because given what we now know about NB's health, ie, that she perhaps was not as fit and healthy as she appeared to be in photos from last year, plus the last CCTV image of her looking quite frail IMO, lead me to think that if she had slipped, fallen and say, hit her head and rolled into the water, she might not have had the strength to get out again in time to survive. I absolutely don't think she would have left Willow running free and then walked off elsewhere to enter the water voluntarily. All MOO.

Doesn’t seem odd to me. She’s offering emotional support at an incredibly difficult time for them all.
Yes, I understand that. And I understand helping out with the 2 children as much as she can.

But to move in?

She needs to live there?

I find it bizarre. My own opinion only, of course. Others may differ.

In this article from today's Independent, it is stated that NB was 'not wearing a headset at the time of her disappearance.' Does anybody have any idea/theories on that? Because she presumably would have needed one to listen in to that Teams meeting properly. If so, where did it end up?

Live on sky news now they have come across a witness that found the phone! They have stopped him and are speaking to him now.

Edited after watching fully.

** Context** - Two reporters are walking the route that Nicola would have taken, whilst doing so they have come across a witness.

A lady called Penny found the phone, harness, lead & willow initially and then called this older gentleman over.
He recognised the dog and saw the wallpaper on her phone.
He is sure on the exact time it was because he got a call from his wife so they went on that time.

Also worth noting he was an elderly gentleman but he didn't have a white fluffy dog with him as reported previously. It looked like either a springer / cocker type dog.

Last edited:
new links to commentary . ( WEP are a registered party in UK)

Lawyer gives his opinion but concedes that a court would consider was the release proportionate or justified for policing operations , ( it would be for court to judge whether it was unlawful or whether it was a misuse of private info)

former politician and presenter Ed Balls interviews Nusrit Mehtab ( also discussing the point I was posting about, why did Sally Riley say that at press conference on Feb 3rd? could state of mind/health have been minimised at early stage?) Also in contrast to what Mehtab says, LP did not label menopause itself as a ' specific vulnerability' afaik

presenter ( sorry don't know her name) asks a sensible question imo, about the disproportionate level of attention vs number of people who are still missing and go missing every day

Interesting that Sky's Kay Burley is actually in St Michael's this morning

Yes I was discussing with a friend yesterday why is this missing person case getting so much attention is wild - there is a pull I don’t know what it is.

The continuous criticism of LE

Huge number of Facebook groups set up in ‘assisting’ finding NB

The wild accusations and people travelling to the location.

Number of ex professionals of different seniority putting their 2 pence in

Number of friends who are spokespeople for the family, providing updates from the family, that are later incorrect.

The CH5 doc early doors - timing felt weird to me not for nefarious reasons just odd.
Just my musings.

In this article from today's Independent, it is stated that NB was 'not wearing a headset at the time of her disappearance.' Does anybody have any idea/theories on that? Because she presumably would have needed one to listen in to that Teams meeting properly. If so, where did it end up?

In the latest press conference they stated something along the lines that she would mostly listen on loud speaker with her phone out front of her face - and this tied in with what the witness had seen as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
panchoept