Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Does anyone know how long identification normally takes? Thanks
I’m not an expert in any way but I do know that identification would normally be done by a close relative. However, because Nicola may have been in the water for three weeks, it might be considered too harrowing an experience for a family member to identify her body. I suspect, therefore, it may be done through DNA/dental records, which will take a little longer. JMO

It depends on the state of the body. Can take weeks. After 3 weeks in water it will be very bloated and discoloured, with any possible river creature infestation or eating. May need dental ID.

It depends on the state of the body. Can take weeks. After 3 weeks in water it will be very bloated and discoloured, with any possible river creature infestation or eating. May need dental ID.
That’s such a terrible thought . I sincerely hope the people that found the body are alright, it can’t of been pleasant.

'What an utterly inappropriate response': Fury at 'farcical' Lancashire Police as it emerges force replied to tweet showing lead detective as a Lego figure with an EMOJI during search for missing Nicola Bulley.

Police are damned if they do & damned if they don’t these days. MOO I enjoy it when they’re “more human” and interact with the public (there have been some funny police tweets & posts over the years) ‍/shrug

BBM, I agree that that might be a possibility. Hopefully anything like that would show up in the post mortem.
A medical episode might explain the harness and lead being found between the bench and the river. If Nicola attempted to put the harness on at that spot she could have fallen in right there, especially if it was something serious like a stroke or heart attack.

If anyone wants an excellent - if rather academic - deep consideration of what happens to bodies in water and where they are likely to be found I recommend this lecture from Gresham College Oxford by Professor Carolyn Roberts. Bear with it. It is interesting. I think anyway IMO…
- ‘ A Body in a River’
Excellent talk, watched it this morning! Thanks for sharing.

I assume they mean formally identifying as a matter of procedure for a death certificate, but today will confirm if they think it is her as I assume the body was still clothed enough to be able to recognise if they were the same items she was last seen wearing. I can't imagine they will say they need a few weeks and not give any indication at the press conference at all whether it is or not Nicola:(

'What an utterly inappropriate response': Fury at 'farcical' Lancashire Police as it emerges force replied to tweet showing lead detective as a Lego figure with an EMOJI during search for missing Nicola Bulley.
Lancashire Police Lego Tweet
I've seen officers reply to posts on FB so I wonder what makes the DM think this is significant to the investigation.

BBM - I'm not sure what they could have done differently? They ascertained the most likely thing was a (likely accidental) fall into the water. They checked witnesses and CCTV and car cam footage etc for possible signs of NB leaving the area any other way than the river or signs of an abduction. They've talked with family and friends about health and state of mind, and tried to find out if anything else was happening in her life.

It didn't make any major difference to calls to locals who might have been in the vicinity, or people driving through the area, on that morning to know anything about her other than general description and to report anything 'odd' or unexpected that was observed that morning.

What else could police have done to prevent the hysteria? Found her body sooner? That would have helped, but I don't think the time delay was for want of trying or for want of keeping an open mind as to what may have happened.

You can't fully control the public opinions and sometimes the more you try, the more it backfires.

I think the 'hysteria' aspect is more about the social context of our times with social media and hyper-awareness of crimes against women, and opportunities for huge numbers of people to get together online to discuss things that have a 'mysterious' aspect to them. I also don't think there's anything new in the huamn desire for police to produce results 'pronto' and a fear that if there aren't immediate results that that could indicate failings or shoddy work.

I think the only error police made was releasing too much information regarding her struggles leading up to her going missing. I also think the lesson for police is to release less information to the public and do it in the form of a press release or updated website. There is a percent of people that will create conspiracies or breathe anger and too much information and press conferences feed this. We saw it in the Keili Rodni case, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidsloth