Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The typical decomposition changes proceed more slowly in the water, primarily due to cooler temperatures and the anaerobic environment. However, once a body is removed from the water, putrefaction will likely be accelerated.

Regarding ID of a body that has been submerged in water, Libby Squire was positively identified via fingerprints; public confirmation was made approximately 29 hours after her body was recovered (found approx 3pm Wed, ID confirmed to press 8pm Thurs).

Libby was recovered at Grimsby & had to be transported to Hull which no doubt delayed things.

Who was this? I am not an expert I but my understanding was that water quickly makes bodies quite difficult to identify eg soaks into tissues same way a bath makes fingertips puffy then of course any traction or injury from stones or debris, plus decompensation itself - all JMO! Was news person a pathologist? Genuine query!
The colder the water, the longer it takes for a body to decompose. However once out of water decomposition happens rapidly. But we don't know how long the body was under water and at what point it surfaced so it's probably impossible to know if the body is well preserved.

And yes, I think a body will eventually develop a wax like coating in water as well.

Would they?!?

Is this a thing?!?
Yes.
My sister went missing January 2014 and was missing for two months until her body was found in woodland. One of the first things the police did was go through her home looking for anything and everything. Diaries, letters, mail, computer, iPad… they bagged up half the house. They also took her hairbrush, toothbrush and make up bag.

Regarding ID of a body that has been submerged in water, Libby Squire was positively identified via fingerprints; public confirmation was made approximately 29 hours after her body was recovered (found approx 3pm Wed, ID confirmed to press 8pm Thurs).

Libby was recovered at Grimsby & had to be transported to Hull which no doubt delayed things.
Police don't have the fingerprint records of many people - the person would need to have been arrested at some point earlier. I don't expect NB ever was. However police did already collect personal items to get DNA from.

The colder the water, the longer it takes for a body to decompose. However once out of water decomposition happens rapidly. But we don't know how long the body was under water and at what point it surfaced so it's probably impossible to know if the body is well preserved.

And yes, I think a body will eventually develop a wax like coating in water as well.
Adipocere, I believe it's called for anyone wishing to google it.

Yes, but the body was still able to tell what had happened to her. I think she had been strangled?

In the last thread (#16), someone asked what did we make of the body being found where it was.

1. It, the body, was found below the weir in the tidal section of the river. The body was found ten-to-fifteen minutes walk down river from where Mrs. Bulley normally walked her dog and from where the dog and her phone were found.

2. In percentages, how many bodies would actually go over the weir? Did she walk down river below weir and then enter the river?

2. People seem to focus on the very human element of self-harm as a potential cause for being in the river, or an accident (slipped and fell, and drown). This seems to be the most likely event.

3. However, there may be variables that will develop over time. People mostly tend to overlook the potential, in small percentages, that Mrs. Bulley could have been a victim of crime.

4. For example, being in finance (mortgages), what if she had been unwittingly processing mortgages for a money laundering scheme, and someone thought she might now be a loose end that needed to be tied up (removed)? Crime creates victims. She might have been one.

5. Because Mrs. Bulley apparently kept a very public presence via social media, might she have been the victim of stalking and it went badly?

My thoughts are we don't know enough to make a solid assessment, yet.

Why police walked away from area she was found at ? They have not confirmed cause of death yet so they should be protecting scene :( <modsnip>
With respect, what about the random place she ended up after 3 weeks could help in determining the cause of death?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member