Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you.

The worst part with Chris for us is we never actually know for sure what happened (like I’m sure Nicolas family wont) - from my experience Paul & the family tonight will be experiencing the strangest feeling - the media scrutiny is now over, the unknown is over..

But the reality is now here at least when they’re missing you cling onto hope.
Exactly. It's absolutely awful not ever knowing what really happened. I can't begin to imagine how difficult the next days, weeks, months and years will be for Nicola's family and close friends.

PA and Emma White both said they didn't believe she was in river but I think that was just a coping mechanism of hoping beyond hope she was still alive and out there somewhere. Just accepting she was in the river means sadly she's dead which is the outcome here.

You always want to believe the least worst outcome until it's no longer possible.
I do admire the way PA/family/friends refused to give up hope and were stoic in that despite the accusations, completely driven by the desire to protect the girls, even still taking them into school etc…as hard as it was, living with 3 weeks of hope would be better for them all while waiting for what seems to be the inevitable outcome:(

Last edited:
Why oh why would sky news be texting with PA asking for thoughts at such an agonizing time.. there is just no justifying that level of low.
May have been texting to offer heart-felt sympathy. At least that's what I hope. But, you're right in that even if he had good intentions, when PA volunteered how he was doing, he should have offered empathy--which he might have done--rather than or in addition to him asking if he could report PA's feelings. Seems to cross a line...

If anyone wants an excellent - if rather academic - deep consideration of what happens to bodies in water and where they are likely to be found I recommend this lecture from Gresham College Oxford by Professor Carolyn Roberts. Bear with it. It is interesting. I think anyway IMO…
- ‘ A Body in a River’
Gosh, what an interesting watch that was. Thank you for posting this.

“This is the moment a dogwalker pointed out the discovery to officers searching for Nicola Bulley”

Photograph

The body was found on an unremarkable stretch of the river, just past a slight bend, a mile or so outside the village, close to where a tree had fallen on its side half in and half outside the water, with branches and undergrowth partially submerged.

Thanks for posting this. Heart-breaking to see the photo but also helpful to be able to visualize where she was found.

May have been texting to offer heart-felt sympathy. At least that's what I hope. But, you're right in that even if he had good intentions, when PA volunteered how he was doing, he should have offered empathy--which he might have done--rather than or in addition to him asking if he could report PA's feelings. Seems to cross a line...
Explanation on earlier post. It’s time and tested family police press routine. This is the night Mr Ansell needs to pay a short tribute, to appear in tomo paper followed by longer, more poignant family ones in the week. It will all have been organized with prearranged people. These systems have been honed over the years to stop victims being hassled by all the papers at once. IMO, it would have looked bad if Mr Ansell wasn’t given opportunity to express his sorrow at this time. It will be the lead Interest. When a world lead, celeb national treasure dies, they don’t say oh leave out any tribute. We’ll say something some other time. mr Ansell is being awarded the same courtesy.

“But two walkers spotted the body of a blonde woman tangled in reeds on Lancashire’s River Wyre before noon yesterday

Sloppy reporting, as ever, from The Daily Mail. :rolleyes: :mad:

I've prev stated my full theory about NB tripping when reattaching Willow's harness but I'm holding off on further comments unless there are any shock developments.

A formal identification may not have been released but I imagine the family will have a fairly good picture from the police already. They know what NB was wearing and she has distinctive front teeth that won't have been hard for the police to identify (tentatively) even with a cursory inspection IMO.

I'm grateful that this case, however heartbreaking, has also cast a light on other cases that haven't been given the attention they deserve by the media.

My thoughts are with the family. A truly tragic case. Peace and love to everyone on the thread. I hope to see you in other discussions as we continue to shine our empathy where it's needed.
While no fan of the DM, it's more likely poor editing/proofreading. Someone will have copied the story due to go out in the Monday papers and not have amended the date for the online version.

ETA: it's going to be an incredibly difficult time for the family who deserve space to process everything and I'm not sure continued speculation adds much until we hear back from the pathology team. With any luck they may be able to provide answers, but it's equally possibly the family never find out exactly what happened that day.

Last edited:
The one thing that does play on my mind re a 3rd party/foul play and the non-cctv covered exits mentioned by the police, is that from the caravan park/Rowanwater area, if something untoward had happened and someone wanted to put a body into the river further down by car, then where she was found seems to be the first point that the most obvious road route from that area hits right next to the river, I assume though they will be able to rule out any foul play soon:(

Last edited:
While no fan of the DM, it's more likely poor editing/proofreading. Someone will have copied the story due to go out in the Monday papers and not have amended the date for the online version.

ETA: it's going to be an incredibly difficult time for the family who deserve space to process everything and I'm not sure continued speculation adds much until we hear back from the pathology team. With any luck they may be able to provide answers, but it's equally possibly the family never find out exactly what happened that day.
I know it’s late but what’s the wrong date that will be in tomo paper? Am I missing something?

I know it’s late but what’s the wrong date that will be in tomo paper? Am I missing something?
It's not really of any importance, but I was just commenting.

A Daily Mail online article published on Sunday mentioned the body being found YESTERDAY (which would be saturday). I am assuming they just used the copy of the story which would be going in the Monday morning newspapers and forgot to change 'yesterday' to 'today' for the online version

It's not really of any importance, but I was just commenting.

A Daily Mail online article published on Sunday mentioned the body being found YESTERDAY (which would be saturday). I am assuming they just used the copy of the story which would be going in the Monday morning newspapers and forgot to change yesterday to today for the online version
Ha! Get you! No… the reporter types it up how it will be seen the next day. So will be : the body of a woman believed to be Nicola bulley was found in a river yesterday.
and last night her partner, Paul Ansell, paid tribute to the mother of their two daughters.

Explanation on earlier post. It’s time and tested family police press routine. This is the night Mr Ansell needs to pay a short tribute, to appear in tomo paper followed by longer, more poignant family ones in the week. It will all have been organized with prearranged people. These systems have been honed over the years to stop victims being hassled by all the papers at once. IMO, it would have looked bad if Mr Ansell wasn’t given opportunity to express his sorrow at this time. It will be the lead Interest. When a world lead, celeb national treasure dies, they don’t say oh leave out any tribute. We’ll say something some other time. mr Ansell is being awarded the same courtesy.
I wouldn’t expect a tribute before formal ID & don’t think it’s a courtesy to contact the family when the police have asked for privacy. I’d expect any official tributes to be issued via the police.

I think it’s a shame that the police didn’t host an appeal from the family at the outset when they categorised it as a high risk misper. investigation.

Can't help but think what's being posted is about us.
What we deserve to hear.
I'm selfishly with you. I want all the answers, like now.
But, we need to step back.
I know I do.
Just saying and JMO.

I remember the stark similarities of this case with Megan Roberts, regardless of the circumstances of why or how that person ended up in the river. Sadly any technology still has its limitations and as in this case and the Megan Roberts case, it's Mark 1 eyeball that spots someone when they raise to the surface 2-2.5 weeks after entry and no amount of radar/sonar resources will cover every mm of a river, nor perform to it's the best ability.

Sadly the truth.

I wouldn’t expect a tribute before formal ID & don’t think it’s a courtesy to contact the family when the police have asked for privacy. I’d expect any official tributes to be issued via the police.

I think it’s a shame that the police didn’t host an appeal from the family at the outset when they categorised it as a high risk misper. investigation.
Well, you can read tomo papers now online. Lovely bit from Paul,Ansell. The police pleas for privacy is to do it the way I explained rather than have press tv and foreign press all trying to get something. This organised routine will be carried out as I tried to explain on earlier post.

Papers are up online now. all very well done imo.

I am not a very good judge of incidents or people’s character, which I will freely admit, but I think this was an accident. It might have been semi-deliberate in a way, as in: “I don’t care what happens to me” mode from NB, but don’t think it was planned and thought through if so. In this regard have had WhatsApp disagreements with my sister who thinks there was foul play…

I also, personally, and this is only my view and I know many will disagree, think Nicola was less than sober that morning and that’s in part why this accident happened. Far from judgment here, given my own drinking issues. But I think it’s the answer. When some cases are very confusing and mysterious, the extra element is sometimes drug or alcohol abuse. It can make for odd behaviour and weird results.

I think PA seeming “odd” in interviews is in part because he knows NB might have been drinking that morning (to be clear: after the kids were safely dropped off at at school) and doesn’t want to say so. Again, total and utter speculation on my part. But I don’t believe any covering-up here was to conceal a crime. Of course, the police must fully investigate and if the body is Nicola’s (which beyond all reasonable doubt it must be…) carry out tests to properly establish the cause of death — if any crime was committed then I hope this is identified swiftly.

Rebecca Smith said that Paul told them about her "vulnerabilities" at the beginning when she went missing.
<modsnip - not an approved source> For me the telling point is no friend or family member of NB denying it once the details came out. Still query if they should have been shared or if relevant, but no friend immediately went to the press saying: I’ve never known NB have a problem. That would in turn raise questions about whoever had claimed she did. So I do believe NB had a problem. Whether we all needed to know that is another question.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - not an approved source> For me the telling point is no friend or family member of NB denying it once the details came out. Still query if they should have been shared or if relevant, but no friend immediately went to the press saying: I’ve never known NB have a problem. That would in turn raise questions about whoever had claimed she did. So I do believe NB had a problem. Whether we all needed to know that is another question.
I wondered, too, if all the family were asked for comments on whatever story allegedly someone was trying to sell about Nicola? So they all knew about these threats. Or did one person tell rest of relatives someone was trying to sell a story. And it might not have been about Nikki. Could be an ex with enlightening background on someone in the family. Something they wanted to stamp on quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member