Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlikely it’s murder with so many random walkers around that area in broad daylight. Unlikely you could kidnap anyone in that location particularly with their pet dog there. And from I’ve read she wasn’t depressed or seeking a new life.

It really only leaves her falling into the river. If you look at the riverbank from the bench the left hand side is steep enough to fall in and not be able to get out with little to grip onto especially if wearing 3/4 length coat and wellies. The shock would take your breath away and if falling forward your first breath would fill your lungs with water.

The only reason I can see her placing her phone on the bench with the lead is because she required both hands to retrieve the dog or some object just below her eye line of the riverbank.

There would be no skid marks if she was leaning forward towards the riverbank. Unlikely but she could have fainted with a rush of blood in leaning forward. Sometimes it doesn’t take much even in your mid-40s.
Agreed. Sometimes in cases over the years here we've seen victims of drowning show up days, weeks and months later further along a waterway, so not unusual she hasn't been discovered yet.

Friend Emma White said ‘The Fitbit had not been synched since Tuesday. The police are trying other ways to get information from it’
That’s a quote from the Sun article, copied by this other paper.

I took her words to mean that the Fitbit hadn’t been synced since the Tuesday before she went missing. I have explained in a previous post how this could happen.
Fair enough. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Would a Fitbit keep its charge for 4 days?

I had one a few years ago and it had to be charged quite often. Maybe every 2/3 days.
The info on fitbit website says that certain Devices would keep charge for up to 4 days but if the device has GPS services switched on constantly then it will only keep its charge for 5 hours. Others would keep their charge for up to 12hrs so it’s highly unlikely it would have still been charged the Tuesday after

You need a user account established with an email to use the Fitbit app/device so yep in theory the company can access data. Fitbits have been used to help solve cases in the states!

The device does not connect direct to the cloud. It connects by Bluetooth to the paired phone. The phone app then syncs with the cloud.

one of my best friends Chris Brahney died in similar circumstances in Manchester - he was drunk and possibly intentional (I’ll never know) these cases hurt.

<modsnip>

From my experience with Chris, you know the news is not going to be good.. but you cling onto hope.

I don’t have access to the online British Newspaper Archive however it would be interesting to find out just how many accidental drownings have occurred along this stretch of water over many years and why these occurred.

Upthread there was information that her Fitbit had last synched the Tuesday before NB’s disappearance. If this is correct, there’s no useful information on the phone from the Fitbit.
For the person asking how fitbits work - they are like a watch that you wear on your wrist. They count steps, heart rate and various other things. They send Bluetooth signals to your phone that has an app that displays all the information about how many steps you have taken etc.
You can set them up to constantly synchronise when in Bluetooth range of your phone, or only to update when you open the app.
If NBs was set to constantly update, we’d be able to tell when her Fitbit went out of range of her phone - ie whether she was physically with her phone on the bench, and what time she and the phone were separated.

Unfortunately it sounds like it was set up only to synch manually - and it hadn’t been synchronised since Tuesday. Which means that we don’t have info about what Nicola did that day, only what her phone did. Which is almost certainly the same, but not definitive.

Though the app may not have done a sync the phone may have had an active bluetooth connection to the device. This might be recoverable from the phone logs and might show when that connection was lost.

I don’t have access to the online British Newspaper Archive however it would be interesting to find out just how many accidental drownings have occurred along this stretch of water over many years and why these occurred.
Somebody checked and posted in earlier thread. They said there was 1 back in 2000 and it was a 2 year old boy.

I had one a few years ago and it had to be charged quite often. Maybe every 2/3 days.
The info on fitbit website says that certain Devices would keep charge for up to 4 days but if the device has GPS services switched on constantly then it will only keep its charge for 5 hours. Others would keep their charge for up to 12hrs so it’s highly unlikely it would have still been charged the Tuesday after
If it would be quite new it would hold for 4 days easily. Mine did, with time I need to charge it every 2 days or so.

My Fitbit lasts for around 5 days and I have my gps permanently on. But it does depend on what device you have. IMO.

Though the app may not have done a sync the phone may have had an active bluetooth connection to the device. This might be recoverable from the phone logs and might show when that connection was lost.
Ok, good point. That would be useful if there was a record of when the Fitbit went out of range of the phone. I wonder if the phone checks regularly which connected Bluetooth device is in range, or only when it ‘needs’ to if you see what I mean.

Why havent the police released any footage of Nicola anywhere? Surely a missing person case that would be the first thing you would do, so that it shows what she looked like on the day. Very poor policing in my opinion
Yes I mentioned that earlier on this thread. It is strange - on most misper investigations I have seen they normally put a still photo up of the person in question. Unless she just didn’t appear on any CCTV on her walk. IMO.

can you program the fitbit to automatically synch once a week- such as every Tuesday?
No - and sometimes you can go by several days without syncing if you don’t open app. Not synching between Tuesday and Friday seems like a long time for me though but it’s happened to me before, was just busy and not using it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member