Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire), Jan 2023 #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

StillDiggin

Reaction score
#MISSING | Have you seen Nicola Bulley, who has gone missing from home in Inskip?

Nicola, 45, was last seen at around 9.15am today (Friday, January 27th) on the footpath by the river off Garstang Road in St Michael’s on Wyre.

She is described as white, 5ft 3ins tall, with light brown shoulder-length hair. She speaks with an Essex accent.

She was last seen wearing a long black gilet jacket with a hood, black jeans and olive green ankle wellies. Her hair was tied into a ponytail.

Immediately prior to going missing she was walking her dog, described as a brown-coloured Spaniel. Although the dog has since been found close to where we believe Nicola was last seen, we hope this might help jog the memory of anybody who saw her at around the same time and who may have information about where she was going.
Lancashire Police

Nicola Jane Bulley FB page
Nikki Bulley - Mortgage Adviser - FB page
Nikki Bulley - Strava Runner Profile page

Media, Maps & Timeline *NO DISCUSSION* THREAD

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4
Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9
Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18

3 Feb 2023

ADMIN NOTE:

LE has now indicated that NB was deemed high risk "following the information that was provided to the police by her partner Paul and based on a number of specific vulnerabilities that we were made aware of" LE themselves have opened up speculation in regard to personal reasons NB may have disappeared.

Additionally, a reporter has indicated they are aware of what those vulnerabilities are, so we do now know they exist. The fact that LE has specified they exist but is not addressing them further is certainly not going to discourage speculation as to what may have happened. Had they said nothing in that regard, it would be status quo here at WS, but based on their comments, we are opening up discussion of the possibility that NB may have disappeared voluntarily or possibly committed suicide.

Discussion and speculation of what those vulnerabilities may consist of or what they may have resulted in (i.e. voluntarily missing or suicide) is allowed but at all times members must remain respectful and refrain from unnecessary graphic details of what you think may have happened.

Any questions, please use the Report feature to ask and we will try to get back to you as soon as possible.
While I was typing ^^ it seems LE was talking ;)

Just adding after the fact that LE has obviously now released that those vulnerabilities are related specifically to alcohol and menopause.

But you folks already know that.

IMO, Nicola's "struggles" with alcohol, if they were recurring at the time she disappeared -- there is no proof of this or how she was doing that week or that Friday in particular -- appear to smack of fitting someone's "narrative" of forces at work that drove her to disappear, and have nothing to do with what happened to her that morning.

She was by all counts highly functional in her role as a mom and in her profession. She was working late the night before, she brought her children to school that morning, and then went to work right away participating in the work call.

It really is a stretch, IMO, to presume or wonder if she would be drinking alcohol in the morning while working and walking her dog.

There are no indications what her "struggles" equated to and what her family meant by "significant" issues with alcohol -- it could have been anything from having one or more drinks than usual every night to overdoing it at the weekend or when she went out -- nor that she was a day drinker.

IMO, it's very unfortunate, if true, the CCTV was coincidentally not working near her house that morning, which might have given a glimpse of her appearance and how she was functioning, and quashed some of the speculation about her status that morning:

"Nicola's friend also claims that a CCTV camera which would have captured some of her last known movements wasn't working."

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/20...a-bulley-hit-back-over-inappropriate-comments

To be clear, the release of personal details regarding NB's struggles with alcohol and HRT were not rumors but came directly from Lancashire Police.

WS is a facts-based forum and it should go without saying that discussing the facts put forth by LE is not intended disrespectful to the victim or her family.

Just the same, there's absolutely no basis to imply LE released this very personal information about the victim to fuel the narrative or agenda of an unnamed party. That's poppycock!

While a police watchdog group has launched an investigation about the welfare call, Information Commissioner John Edwards will also be asking Lancashire Police about how the department reached the decision to disclose details about NB's personal struggles.

IMO, if it's learned that the welfare call was conducted in the early morning hours, and the visit was determined alcohol-related, this might very well have contributed to the department's decision to release the information about NB's struggles with alcohol.

Clearly, this would be relevant information for the investigation and search for a missing woman that vanished at a time when most are just getting the kettle on. MOO

22 Feb 2023

The police watchdog has launched an investigation into a welfare check on Nicola Bulley carried out by Lancashire Police on 10 January, days before she was last seen.

An IOPC spokesperson said: “Following a referral by Lancashire Constabulary on Thursday (16 February) we have started an independent investigation regarding contact the force had with Nicola Bulley on 10 January 2023.

“We were notified by the force that an officer attended the family home on that date as part of a welfare check.”

[..]

“I have therefore taken the decision to commission a full independent review into the handling of this case, with clearly defined terms of reference, to ensure lessons can be learnt, not just for Lancashire, but for all forces.

“This includes how such cases can be best investigated and communicated under such spotlight and scrutiny.”

[..]

The force had come under fire and was labelled “sexist” for revealing that the missing mother was regarded as high risk due to issues with alcohol and menopause.

Lancashire Police already said it would conduct an internal review into the Nicola Bulley investigation.

[..]

He said in a statement: “Data protection law exists to ensure people’s personal information is used properly and fairly. This includes ensuring personal details are not disclosed inappropriately.

To be clear, the release of personal details regarding NB's struggles with alcohol and HRT were not rumors but came directly from Lancashire Police.

WS is a facts-based forum and it should go without saying that discussing the facts put forth by LE is not intended disrespectful to the victim or her family.

Just the same, there's absolutely no basis to imply LE released this very personal information about the victim to fuel the narrative or agenda of an unnamed party. That's poppycock!

While a police watchdog group has launched an investigation about the welfare call, Information Commissioner John Edwards will also be asking Lancashire Police about how the department reached the decision to disclose details about NB's personal struggles.

IMO, if it's learned that the welfare call was conducted in the early morning hours, and the visit was determined alcohol-related, this might very well have contributed to the department's decision to release the information about NB's struggles with alcohol.

Clearly, this would be relevant information for the investigation and search for a missing woman that vanished at a time when most are just getting the kettle on. MOO

22 Feb 2023

The police watchdog has launched an investigation into a welfare check on Nicola Bulley carried out by Lancashire Police on 10 January, days before she was last seen.

An IOPC spokesperson said: “Following a referral by Lancashire Constabulary on Thursday (16 February) we have started an independent investigation regarding contact the force had with Nicola Bulley on 10 January 2023.

“We were notified by the force that an officer attended the family home on that date as part of a welfare check.”

[..]

“I have therefore taken the decision to commission a full independent review into the handling of this case, with clearly defined terms of reference, to ensure lessons can be learnt, not just for Lancashire, but for all forces.

“This includes how such cases can be best investigated and communicated under such spotlight and scrutiny.”

[..]

The force had come under fire and was labelled “sexist” for revealing that the missing mother was regarded as high risk due to issues with alcohol and menopause.

Lancashire Police already said it would conduct an internal review into the Nicola Bulley investigation.

[..]

He said in a statement: “Data protection law exists to ensure people’s personal information is used properly and fairly. This includes ensuring personal details are not disclosed inappropriately.

I hear what you're saying but I'm not sure about what the police did actually say.

A lot of people say the police released this information whereas it was the family who made a statement to the press about N using alcohol to self medicate after struggling with issues relating to menopause, not the police.

IIRC the police simply confirmed that they had reason to believe N was vulnerable as was being treated by them as someone who was vulnerable and that they had attended a home visit welfare check one night prior to her disappearance.

Perhaps I am incorrect?

IMO, there is no proof that Nicola had significant issues with alcohol consumption around the time she went missing, this is simply anecdotal, and was stated as such by her "family" as far as what is stated in MSM.

BUBM:
A Timeline of Nicola Bulley’s Disappearance
"Based on interviews with Ms. Bulley’s family immediately after her disappearance, the police said she had “suffered with some significant issues with alcohol” that were brought on by her “struggles” with menopause."

Therefore, there is no proof that she had significant alcohol issues -- no documentation from her doctor or friends or colleagues or the barmaid at the local witnessing it or anyone but ubiquitous "family" saying this -- nor that the call a few weeks before that involved a visit to her house had anything to do with her alcohol consumption.

It's simply anecdotal on its own, IMO, and a very flimsy basis for this ever "making it into the news", so I think that's regrettable because as far as we know, LE had no proof of it other than what distressed family members may have opined.

I wasn't implying in my previous post that her alcohol struggles were just a rumor, and never have faulted LE for repeating what her family told them, that was understood and their reasons were good in their estimation, for identifying her as "high risk", although it was well after the fact (her disappearance) that they stated such, so not a very tightly controlled narrative, IMO.

I was just saying it is not proven, and so is anecdotal, that her alcohol issues were a problem in her day to day life, and further, they could have been exaggerated or taken out of context.

Whether they had anything to do with her disappearance and death, which keeps coming up, is a huge question mark as well, IMO and MOO.

MOO

Last edited:
Despite all of my question marks on this case, of which there are many, I think the coroner will only be looking at accident or suicide, and I'd be surprised if the verdict of the inquest will be anything other than open, i.e. there is insufficient evidence to decide how the death came about. IMO

Apologies if I may be splitting hairs in a way that is too obtuse, but IMO, the only "fact" about Nicola's "struggles" with menopause and alcohol is that Nicola's family apparently told LE when they were interviewed by them that she had such struggles.

BUBM:
"Based on interviews with Ms. Bulley’s family immediately after her disappearance, the police said she had “suffered with some significant issues with alcohol” that were brought on by her “struggles” with menopause."

IMO and MOO, the rest is just innuendo.

I don’t really see why Nicola’s family would have the wrong idea about her alcohol problem or give incorrect information. We can assume they’re wrong or misleading if we want, but there’s no more reason to disbelieve it than to believe it; in fact given it’s information from people close to her disclosed when she was missing, it’s probably correct. JMO.

You average drinkers out there might think, “well someone could say I drank too much if I went missing!”, but family members of those with serious issues are going through something themselves — they’ve asked themselves over and over if they have the wrong idea before they consider starting telling others about it. Again JMO.

If Nicola had an alcohol problem, and I don’t see why her family would think so or it would have been publicly disclosed she did, if she didn’t, or what reason there would be to exaggerate that (I understand people were pressuring the police but find it unlikely that they plucked something out of thin air), it isn’t remotely a stretch to think that she could possibly have been drinking in the morning, while on a work call or while walking the dog. Such problems are extremely common and rarely manifest the way many people imagine.

What there is no evidence of here is any foul play despite all the press and public interest.

I hear what you're saying but I'm not sure about what the police did actually say.

A lot of people say the police released this information whereas it was the family who made a statement to the press about N using alcohol to self medicate after struggling with issues relating to menopause, not the police.

IIRC the police simply confirmed that they had reason to believe N was vulnerable as was being treated by them as someone who was vulnerable and that they had attended a home visit welfare check one night prior to her disappearance.

Perhaps I am incorrect?

Please reference the MEDIA ONLY thread for factual, linked information.

There was a police press conference on 15 Feb and the authorities could not have been more clear.

1) Police were summoned about a concern at the home on 10 Jan.

2) Police and health professionals attended the call.

3) No arrests were made but it was being investigated.

4) Reading between the lines, the police and health professionals were at the house and assessed the situation, determined if anybody should be removed from the home, and interviewed the residents. The call was obviously about the welfare of NB and the nature of the police call required "family" to reveal that NB had past issues with alcohol.

A police spokesman said it was clear after speaking with Ms Bulley's family she had "in the past suffered with some significant issues with alcohol which were brought on by her ongoing struggles with the menopause".

"These struggles had resurfaced over recent months [and] this caused some real challenges for [her partner] Paul and the family," the spokesman added

5) Police acknowledged publically revealing the welfare call and NB's personal, physical struggle in such detail was not typical but it was "important to clarify what Police meant when we talked about vulnerabilities to avoid any further speculation or misinterpretation".

6) Police provided they explained to Nicola's family why Police released this further information and ask that their privacy is respected at this difficult time.

The day following the 15 Feb Police press conference, the family issued their own statement on 16 Feb 2023.

News

Nicola Bulley - family statement​

Thursday, February 16, 2023

Our sole focus throughout the investigation has been to find Nicola, to bring her home and to support her family through the trauma they are experiencing. The most important person in all of this is Nicola.

As we approach the three-week anniversary of her going missing on Friday, 27 January, we remain committed to doing everything we can to find her. Nicola’s family have asked us to issue a statement from them.

The family said: "It has now been three weeks since Nikki went missing. We, as a family, believe that the public focus has become distracted from finding Nikki, and more about speculation and rumours into her and Paul’s private life.

"As a family, we were aware beforehand that Lancashire Police, last night, released a statement with some personal details about our Nikki.

"Although we know that Nikki would not have wanted this, there are people out there speculating and threatening to sell stories about her. This is appalling and needs to stop.

"The police know the truth about Nikki and now the public need to focus on finding her.

"Due to the peri menopause Nikki suffered with significant side effects such as brain fog, restless sleep and was taking HRT to help but this was giving her intense headaches which caused Nikki to stop taking the HRT thinking that may have helped her but only ended up causing this crisis.

"The public focus has to be on finding her and not making up wild theories about her personal life.

"Despite what some media outlets and individuals are suggesting, we are being updated daily and receive support from our family liaison officers.

"Nikki is such a wonderful daughter, sister , partner and mother and is missed dearly - we all need you back in our lives.

"Nikki, we hope you are reading this and know that we love you so much and your girls want a cuddle. We all need you home. You can reach out to us, or you can contact MissingPeople.org.uk. Don’t be scared, we all love you so very much."

Apologies if I may be splitting hairs in a way that is too obtuse, but IMO, the only "fact" about Nicola's "struggles" with menopause and alcohol is that Nicola's family apparently told LE when they were interviewed by them that she had such struggles.

BUBM:

IMO and MOO, the rest is just innuendo.
Yes, and I find this whole discussion about NB has gone on far too long on WS, particularly all of the talk of NB's personal life re. possible alcohol, menopause, etc. etc. and that it is going around in circles, rather than being put to rest for the sake of the family and all those who cared about her. I find it disrespectful, and I think this thread has gone on long enough to get straight with all the details, and that it should be given a rest for now. If new details or the results of the investigation are made public in the future, then of course it could start up again. THIS is just my opinion on continuing to see the thread pop up on WS front page here. JMO!!!

I previously provided that I thought Police released the information about the 10 Jan 2023 police summons to the house because the info was already out and about to be leaked and they wanted to get ahead of it.

This confirms what I previously suspected to be true:

17TH. FEB.

Officers are being as "transparent as they can be" in what is an "incredibly sensitive and complex case" as the search for Nicola Bulley approaches its fourth week, Lancashire's police and crime commissioner has said.

Andrew Snowden made the remarks after police revealed Ms Bulley had suffered "significant issues with alcohol" which were "brought on by her ongoing struggles with the menopause".

Mr Snowden said: "The unprecedented media and public interest in this case, whilst welcomed for appeals for information, is challenging for the family and friends of Nicola and officers and police staff dealing with unsubstantiated rumours and speculation on a daily basis.

"I'd like to thank all members of the public who have provided helpful information to Lancashire Police."

Mr Snowden's comments also come as Wyre Council leader Michael Vincent told Sky News there are "lessons to be learned" for police searching for Ms Bulley.

He added: "But I think they've done their best in difficult circumstances."

Talking about the personal information about Ms Bulley revealed by police, Mr Vincent said: "That was put out there with the knowledge of Nicola's family because other people were seeking to make that information public.

"That wasn't the police's decision, their hand was forced, should they have done it? Again, with the benefit of hindsight, that should be looked into in future cases."

^^bbm

Yes, and I find this whole discussion about NB has gone on far too long on WS, particularly all of the talk of NB's personal life re. possible alcohol, menopause, etc. etc. and that it is going around in circles, rather than being put to rest for the sake of the family and all those who cared about her. I find it disrespectful, and I think this thread has gone on long enough to get straight with all the details, and that it should be given a rest for now. If new details or the results of the investigation are made public in the future, then of course it could start up again. THIS is just my opinion on continuing to see the thread pop up on WS front page here. JMO!!!
Well said.

An attempted suicide would not be investigated, I think.

An attempted suicide would not be investigated, I think.

I agree that a suicide attempt would not be criminally investigated pursuant to the 1961 Suicide Act decriminalizing suicide in England and Wales but I believe a suicide attempt or a threat of suicide could have been referred to family or social services for further investigation given young children reside in the home.

Nonetheless, I'm not aware of any verifiable information that the welfare call was for a suicide attempt. MOO

^^rsbm

The welfare call was not one night prior to the disappearance but on 10 January. (NB reported missing on 27 Jan 2023).

IMO, there is no proof that Nicola had significant issues with alcohol consumption around the time she went missing, this is simply anecdotal, and was stated as such by her "family" as far as what is stated in MSM.

BUBM:

Therefore, there is no proof that she had significant alcohol issues -- no documentation from her doctor or friends or colleagues or the barmaid at the local witnessing it or anyone but ubiquitous "family" saying this -- nor that the call a few weeks before that involved a visit to her house had anything to do with her alcohol consumption.

It's simply anecdotal on its own, IMO, and a very flimsy basis for this ever "making it into the news", so I think that's regrettable because as far as we know, LE had no proof of it other than what distressed family members may have opined.

I wasn't implying in my previous post that her alcohol struggles were just a rumor, and never have faulted LE for repeating what her family told them, that was understood and their reasons were good in their estimation, for identifying her as "high risk", although it was well after the fact (her disappearance) that they stated such, so not a very tightly controlled narrative, IMO.

I was just saying it is not proven, and so is anecdotal, that her alcohol issues were a problem in her day to day life, and further, they could have been exaggerated or taken out of context.

Whether they had anything to do with her disappearance and death, which keeps coming up, is a huge question mark as well, IMO and MOO.

MOO

I totally agree. The bad taste it leaves in my mouth is as if we're all supposed to go 'oh well then, she was drinking, only to be expected she drowned in the river...' nothing to see here, move along, don't dare question it or you're breaching the privacy and dignity of an already struggling woman and her grieving family. Well, from where I'm sitting there's a whole lot of things to question and that is to give N the dignity she absolutely deserves not to detract from it.

JMO MOO

Please reference the MEDIA ONLY thread for factual, linked information.

There was a police press conference on 15 Feb and the authorities could not have been more clear.

4) Reading between the lines, the police and health professionals were at the house and assessed the situation, determined if anybody should be removed from the home, and interviewed the residents. The call was obviously about the welfare of NB and the nature of the police call required "family" to reveal that NB had past issues with alcohol.

A police spokesman said it was clear after speaking with Ms Bulley's family she had "in the past suffered with some significant issues with alcohol which were brought on by her ongoing struggles with the menopause".

"These struggles had resurfaced over recent months [and] this caused some real challenges for [her partner] Paul and the family," the spokesman added

5) Police acknowledged publically revealing the welfare call and NB's personal, physical struggle in such detail was not typical but it was "important to clarify what Police meant when we talked about vulnerabilities to avoid any further speculation or misinterpretation".

6) Police provided they explained to Nicola's family why Police released this further information and ask that their privacy is respected at this difficult time.

Thanks for this info, I had thought it was only the family who mentioned the menopause bit and not the police. You're right we should always stick to MSM published info on this site.

^^rsbm

The welfare call was not one night prior to the disappearance but on 10 January. (NB reported missing on 27 Jan 2023).

Ah, apologies I had worded that so it reads differently than intended. I meant that the police confirmed they had attended a welfare check on one occasion prior to NB disappearing -not- literally on one day before. I appreciate it can be read either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarishaikh