UK UK - Norfolk, Headless woman, 23-35, pink nightdress, Aug'74

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Erm. Sorry about that last post. Wrote it this morning and it felt OK, but this evening it reads like, most pompous ... and I can't edit it! Were there any other suspects with this kind of M.O that were at large in the mid-seventies?

Erm. Sorry about that last post. Wrote it this morning and it felt OK, but this evening it reads like, most pompous ... and I can't edit it! Were there any other suspects with this kind of M.O that were at large in the mid-seventies?
Lol- nothing seems pompous with that post. I just don’t know the area & local history there well-enough to have an opinion. I’m here because I love a good solve on a cold case. And because if this woman can’t get her head back, she at least deserves her ID & justice. Keep posting!;)

I thought your last post brought up some good points, the organised crime connection for example. And I agree, it’s not sutcliffe, or Tobin, doesn’t fit their mo. I’ll need to look more into what was going on around that time frame.

I've been looking into Cockley Cley village. There's the "Squire's" house - Cockley Cley Hall, Sir Peter & Lady Roberts being the incumbents in 1974. In 1961, they were the victims of a hoax by a chap called Laurence Bell, a reporter [After the event] for The People newspaper, who attempted to court the eldest daughter in the guise of a Captain of the Coldsteam Guards. He was a very colourful character, who died in 1973, aged 36. Look him up if you are interested - his exploits are many, including cult leader & so forth, but it seems he might have had ties to the great political scandal of the 1960s - The Profumo Affair, all spies and saucy goings on among the great and not-so-good. It might not have anything to do with Our Lady @ Cockley Cley, but at least one murder was linked to the case - Frances Brown, the seventh victim of the Jack-the-Stripper slayings.
Oh, and the Roberts opened their gardens to the public on 4th August 1974, a great opportunity for anyone to look around the village without drawing attention to themselves.

I've been looking into Cockley Cley village. There's the "Squire's" house - Cockley Cley Hall, Sir Peter & Lady Roberts being the incumbents in 1974. In 1961, they were the victims of a hoax by a chap called Laurence Bell, a reporter [After the event] for The People newspaper, who attempted to court the eldest daughter in the guise of a Captain of the Coldsteam Guards. He was a very colourful character, who died in 1973, aged 36. Look him up if you are interested - his exploits are many, including cult leader & so forth, but it seems he might have had ties to the great political scandal of the 1960s - The Profumo Affair, all spies and saucy goings on among the great and not-so-good. It might not have anything to do with Our Lady @ Cockley Cley, but at least one murder was linked to the case - Frances Brown, the seventh victim of the Jack-the-Stripper slayings.
Oh, and the Roberts opened their gardens to the public on 4th August 1974, a great opportunity for anyone to look around the village without drawing attention to themselves.
Wow. This is a really interesting place & time. Write a book, toss in some maps & photos & I’ll buy it! Not joking- it is a fascinating case. You can sell the movie rights with potential association to JTR. And maybe this lady can get her ID back & a proper resting place. Any path that leads to justice is a good one if you ask me!

LOL I don't think anyone would believe it! I would love to give this lady her name back, though, as it's more likely than reuniting her with her missing head, poor thing.

A couple of questions for the knowledgeable persons on here.
Nutrition wise, is vegetable protein a "Secondary protein"? And along the same lines, were they able to tell whether Our Lady was well nourished or living on the breadline?

Just going to answer my own question.
They can tell diet from isotope analysis by looking at the types of plants that are eaten. They get different results for plants in cooler regions like central Europe, than those in hot regions like north Africa. Fish diets fall somewhere in the middle.

Good easy-to-understand article Reconstructing diet from isotopes

Hi! I'm writing a blog on this case, and one thing that kept sticking in my head when I was researching it is the nearby military bases. I know that RAF Lakenheath still only has US personnel, even now, and it's about a 25 minute drive from the spot where she was found. How likely do you think it is that her murderer was stationed at that base and then went back to America after a their time at the base was up? And that they just knew that that road was secluded? The only thing is, I'm unsure if it would be possible for them to sneak visitors in to the base, especially overnight ones (which she likely was because of her nightgown). Sorry if anyone on this thread has talked about this, by the way! I did read through and I don't think I saw anyone go in depth :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-30 at 17.11.49.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-30 at 17.11.49.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2021-01-30 at 17.13.34.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-30 at 17.13.34.png
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 00.12.11.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 00.12.11.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 6
The locals call the place Cockley Clee, by the way - turns out one of my contacts lives in the next village.
There are at least three AFBs nearby, so take your pick of UK, US or possibly Canadians [?] - my pet theory is the fact she was a serviceman's wife, married while he was stationed in Germany. He would not even have had to absconded after the event - "The wife's packed up and gone back to her mum, left me with the kids, the bloody cow..." would be quite enough. It would explain her headlessness too, because it's clearly been done to prevent her being identified - quite unnecessary if she was a transient. I'm thinking her poor head is at the bottom of the North Sea...dropped off on some flight or other.
You are very welcome to my theory, by the way, but give the old Fox a mention in your blog, if you're going to use it.

Thanks, I definitely will! That's a really interesting theory, and I think it could be pretty spot on. I do think it's interesting that she was decapitated; it's not really something someone would do if they hadn't known her. So she either knew her killer well and people would be able to identify the killer if they could identify her (for example, a husband like you mentioned) or her killer had been seen with her prior to her death and he knew it, and didn't want to risk people remembering.

I do think it's interesting that she was decapitated; it's not really something someone would do if they hadn't known her. So she either knew her killer well and people would be able to identify the killer if they could identify her (for example, a husband like you mentioned) or her killer had been seen with her prior to her death and he knew it, and didn't want to risk people remembering.

Quite so!

I have to say, it's a fascinating case and pretty unique in the UK.

The locals call the place Cockley Clee, by the way - turns out one of my contacts lives in the next village.
There are at least three AFBs nearby, so take your pick of UK, US or possibly Canadians [?] - my pet theory is the fact she was a serviceman's wife, married while he was stationed in Germany. He would not even have had to absconded after the event - "The wife's packed up and gone back to her mum, left me with the kids, the bloody cow..." would be quite enough. It would explain her headlessness too, because it's clearly been done to prevent her being identified - quite unnecessary if she was a transient. I'm thinking her poor head is at the bottom of the North Sea...dropped off on some flight or other.
You are very welcome to my theory, by the way, but give the old Fox a mention in your blog, if you're going to use it.
Catching up... That’s a great theory- and one that could be investigated. Seems it wouldn’t be too hard to find servicemen from all 3 bases from back in 1974 who might remember someone’s wife “leaving” in an abrupt way. Good thoughts!

If only this could be explored, I feel there would be a great chance of identifying her, because the police have her DNA. We know she had children, and it would be easy to search and match. Most of all, Our Lady of Cockley Cley could get her name back...and be given a proper burial.

If only this could be explored, I feel there would be a great chance of identifying her, because the police have her DNA. We know she had children, and it would be easy to search and match. Most of all, Our Lady of Cockley Cley could get her name back...and be given a proper burial.
Yes! This is a perfect case for familial DNA. Some relative somewhere must be in a database? Maybe even her kids. Maybe they were told she abandoned the family & they never knew to look for an unsolved homicide for closure. Very sad. Maybe Othram can look into this case?

Yes! This is a perfect case for familial DNA. Some relative somewhere must be in a database? Maybe even her kids. Maybe they were told she abandoned the family & they never knew to look for an unsolved homicide for closure. Very sad. Maybe Othram can look into this case?
You're right. It may well be that her children and the rest of her family are in the USA or Canada, and not in the UK.

I came upon this case a couple of years ago. Still unsolved and worst of all she may have had a baby.

Cold case detectives trying to identify a headless corpse discovered more than 40 years ago say she may have been a Danish prostitute known as 'The Duchess', and could have given birth to a child.
The young woman's torso was found at a roadside by a remote field in the village of Cockley Cley, near Swaffham, Norfolk in August 1974, wrapped in a plastic sheet.

Since then there have been numerous public appeals trying to identify the dead woman, who was wearing a pink Marks and Spencer nightdress when she was discovered, but officers are yet to work out who she was, or who killed her. Her head has also never been recovered.

As this case is back on police radar at present, I thought it would be useful to give some background to facilitate any future discussions here and to give a context to any future developments. Although I did not live in Norfolk at the time this body was found, I lived in Norwich (Norfolk's county town and administrative centre) from the mid 1980s for most of the following decade, and 1980s Norfolk was virtually unchanged from 1970s Norfolk.

A glance at Google maps reveals one very obvious fact: Norfolk sticks out of the eastern side of England and is bounded on two sides, the north and east, by the North Sea. In terms of UK geography, therefore, it is a region one deliberately goes to, not through on the way to somewhere else. Furthermore, it is bounded on the west by The Fens, a low lying area of meandering rivers and meres which was waterlogged until the late 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century when Dutch engineers were brought in to drain the marshes. (Today it is a major area for sugar beet, potato and vegetable growing.) So until 300 or 350 years ago Norfolk was virtually cut off on a third side as well. Historically, therefore, trade and transport were largely done by water (river or coastal). In short, it is geographically isolated and until recently its native population was insular and suspicious of “incomers”. We “incomers” had a joke amongst ourselves: “Happisburgh, Norfolk. Twinned with Innsmouth, Massachusetts.” It was that sort of place.

At the time of this murder there were three main groups of “incomers” in the county:

1. Tourists Norfolk has had a tourist industry since the late 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century Originally this was focussed on traditional seaside resorts such as Sheringham and Great Yarmouth and later supplemented by holiday parks such as Butlins and Pontins and boating holidays on the Norfolk Broads (flooded mediaeval peat diggings).
  2. Students The University of East Anglia (UEA) was established in Norwich in the mid 1960s. It's a standard concrete-and-glass 1960s university and was the first in the UK to offer Bachelors degrees in Environmental Science. There is also a well-regarded art college in the city.
  3. Military personnel The RAF has had many bases in the area which were originally established during WWII. Today some of these are leased to the USAF, eg Lakenheath.

There were also two smaller groups of outsiders in the area:

These are my latest thoughts on Our Lady @ Cockley Cley:- The East of England has always been absolutely rife with trafficking - drugs, people, you name it. From light aircraft landing in Kent, to all the shipping container ports on the east coast, this was and is organised crime territory. The Tattingstone murder was rumoured to be linked to the Krays, the often overlooked murder @ the Sutton Bridge filling station 25 miles away was claimed (Though he was never charged) by hitman John Childs, now serving a whole-life tariff. Just because this poor lady was naked might not mean this was a direct sex crime. I'm thinking it might have been a "clean-up" job from the notorious "parties" at the mansions in this area owned by one of the crime bosses active in the 1960s & 1970s. If it was a sexual predator though, the perpetrator wasn't Sutcliffe [See post #14] , and IMO it wasn't Tobin either. He liked to keep his victims close i.e. in the back yard. Not the Wests [ditto, plus too unsophisticated] and not Nilsen, who favoured young men. Anyone else?

1. Gypsies and travellers who provided seasonal and itinerant labour for farms across Norfolk and The Fens. These groups have traditionally been suspicious of, indeed hostile to, outsiders, especially the authorities. They therefore tend to sort out internal disputes or issues themselves, often violently.
  2. New Age and hippy types Because of its isolation, there were many large, country properties in Norfolk which could at that time be bought or leased very cheaply and a number large houses and small estates became communes, healing centres and similar. WWOOF had also been founded in the UK in 1971, giving volunteers a chance to live and work on small organic farms in return for board and lodging. Volunteers tended to move around, following agricultural need and chasing different experiences. By definition, these communities tended to be idealistic, perhaps naïve, drifters who usually hitchhiked and were therefore vulnerable.

I said earlier that one goes to rather than through Norfolk. Great Yarmouth has long been the county's main port but it has never had a ferry service to the continent. Freight came into the port and was unloaded there onto lorries to be hauled eastwards towards the Midlands, so there has never been a flow-through of road traffic to and from the continent. The nearest RORO and passenger ferry to the continent was and is at Felixstowe, near Ipswich.

There were three main roads in and out of the county.

1. The A12 runs south from Great Yarmouth to Ipswich (Suffolk), Colchester and Chelmsford (Essex) before ending in London.
  2. The A11 runs south west to Cambridge, Newmarket (horse racing centre). Until the late 1980s this was single carriageway as far as the Newmarket Bypass. Dualling was completely by the early 1990s. It now joins the M11 and ends in London.
  3. The A47 runs west from Great Yarmouth, round Norwich, past Kings Lynn, across the Fens to Peterborough and Leicester before joining the M1 with access to all regions of the UK. The Norfolk section of this road was mostly single carriageway in the 1970s and 1980s but has been completely dualled since then. The A47 runs north of Swaffham, about 5 miles from where the body was found.

I'm going to try to pull together my thoughts about the body and how what has been made public about it might or might not link to the information above, and will post them separately
I live next to RAF Lakenheath and you are absolutely right, people go to Gt Yarmouth rather than travel through. The fact she was wearing a nightie fascinates me. She wasn't out working in her nightie, I think she was at home sleeping or getting ready for bedtime, or getting up. Did she have a partner, husband? I don't think it would have been a client.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertlou
Back