UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Tortoise, I was trying to say the opposite, that inflicting suffering would seem to me to be the main motive if guilty. IMO.
It's okay, I've seen @ColourPurple 's post above, which also explains what I was saying.

She could have intended suffering of the babies and intended to kill them while inflicting suffering. They're not mutually exclusive.

JMO, if guilty.

From an emotional angle I completely appreciate your position here.

My point is that the recent harsher sentences associated with those in a position of power, and the general movement in terms of pushing back against criminals in uniform, relate particularly to police officers, and those with the power to detain the public. Not to neonatal nurses.

Therefore, I could easily be wrong, however I don’t expect Wayne Couzens sentence to have the slightest affect on Lucy Letby’s sentence, IF found guilty. JMO

I take your point but the police are at an all time low in terms of public opinion so they are hardly 'trusted' anyway, compared to a nurse or doctor whom people perceive as absolutely trustworthy and harmless. Even the police reviews themselves have come up with the decision that the London Metropolitan police are barely fit for function.

Most people know their rights these days, they backchat the police, they don't comply with arrests, they maintain a right to no comment in interviews, the police are barely able to cobble together cohesive cases they're so incompetent, solicitors often find fault with the arrest and processing, anyone blessed with a half decent solicitor never sees a court room never mind the inside of a cell no matter what they've done these days. JMO MOO

This is all very well but "society" has deemed that some crimes are so extreme, so repulsive to the public sensibilities that a whole life order is the appropriate sentence. As I mentioned before, a WLO is not an attempt to rehabilitate - you cannot go before a court or a parole board and argue that it should be reduced because you are a changed person, there simply is no facility in law to do that. The tariff for a statutory life sentence is, by fact of law, the punishment part of the sentence.

I don't think you are correct as regards the parole procedure. Judges do not play any part in it, as far as I'm aware. It's the parole board and only the parole board which makes the decision.
In reality, the aggregate between a life sentence and a whole life order is not black and white, and therefore the judge must use their discretion in determining whether or not the convicted person meets that threshold.

Just to be clear regards the parole procedure - the parole board decide whether or not the convicted person has essentially earned the right to a hearing. If not, then no hearing is allocated and the offender remains in prison.

It takes two years before the convicted person can reapply for a hearing.

Only if the convicted person has satisfied all of the requirements should a hearing be granted.

During the hearing a panel of 3 members of the parole board, often including judges, will decide if the person should be released. The panel should also take into account any remarks the judge made at the time of the original sentencing and can rely on the sentencing judge for further advice where necessary.

Given all of the criteria, it is foolish to believe that convicted murderers simply waltz out of prison the day that their minimum term has expired.

Being released from prison during a life sentence is by nature extremely difficult. The convicted person must satisfy various experts and learned persons that they are no longer a threat to society.

In reality, the aggregate between a life sentence and a whole life order is not black and white, and therefore the judge must use their discretion in determining whether or not the convicted person meets that threshold.

Just to be clear regards the parole procedure - the parole board decide whether or not the convicted person has essentially earned the right to a hearing. If not, then no hearing is allocated and the offender remains in prison.

It takes two years before the convicted person can reapply for a hearing.

Only if the convicted person has satisfied all of the requirements should a hearing be granted.

During the hearing a panel of 3 members of the parole board, often including judges, will decide if the person should be released. The panel should also take into account any remarks the judge made at the time of the original sentencing and can rely on the sentencing judge for further advice where necessary.

Given all of the criteria, it is foolish to believe that convicted murderers simply waltz out of prison the day that their minimum term has expired.

Being released from prison during a life sentence is by nature extremely difficult. The convicted person must satisfy various experts and learned persons that they are no longer a threat to society.
Also am I right from memory that a person in a cat a prison (High security) needs to move up a cat first? This in itself isn't easy from A cat to B (which is still high)

Women are or use to be held slightly differently? I think this is still the case. But someone in her situation would be placed in closed restricted I think? If found guilty.

Also am I right from memory that a person in a cat a prison (High security) needs to move up a cat first? This in itself isn't easy from A cat to B (which is still high)

Women are or use to be held slightly differently? I think this is still the case. But someone in her situation would be placed in closed restricted I think? If found guilty.
I am not sure there exists any set point that a person convicted of murder would be eligible to apply to move to open prison. I could be wrong, and it may depend on their unique circumstances, however I was under the impression they might not be entitled to apply for release from a Cat B prison, let alone a Cat A.

You are right, a whole life term is not out of the question, by any means.

However, despite the alleged offender being, (IF convicted of three or more murders) essentially a serial killer, it is unlikely in this case.

You are also right, in some aspects, regards the basic guidelines for whom a whole life term might be applied.

What must also be understood, is the judge has to take into account the totality of the offences - a plethora of factors in terms of aggravating and mitigating circumstances must be weighed against one another, hence the scales of justice.

The guidelines, set out in black and white, barely break the surface.

The judge should use their discretion, and when handing down a particularly long sentence, will often air somewhat on the side of caution in terms of applying a whole life term. Which partly explains why so few whole life terms are ever ordered.

In this instance the accused was above the age of 21, which is the minimum age a whole life order can be applied, but still of rather young age (approx 25).

This is likely to weigh heavily on a judges mind when taking into consideration applying a whole life term.

The other point worth mentioning is whether or not the accused is found guilty of all charges. If not, leniency could well be applied in terms of sentencing, to an extent. Meaning a life sentence as opposed to whole life order.
I, and many others here, disagree with your assessment of this. Indeed, this has been mentioned as a strong possibility right from the time she was finally arrested in 2020. It seems to be generally accepted that a WLO is highly likely if she is convicted of multiple murders. At the very least it's very likely to be a starting point of a WLO which may get reduced down to, say, 40 years.

Of the few WLO's which have been passed I'm not aware of any judge taking into account the age of the defendant, although I admittedly haven't read up on them all. Joanne Dennehy was only in her late 20's (maybe just 30) when she was sentenced to a WLO for her murderous rampage. I don't think it was mentioned by the judge that her age was ever taken into consideration. JD even entered a guilty please from the outset so that didn't even get her any credit!

Although the statutory guidelines do make mention of the age of the offender being a consideration in setting the tariff - they are almost all about things directly relating to the crime such as planning, premeditation and motivation along with the actual crime itself and the suffering caused. Also things like the extent the perpetrator went to cover things up and get away with it. It's about punishing the crime, not taking account of the harm to the perpetrator going forward (I hate that phrase, btw)!

If she is indeed found guilty then I'm really struggling to see where any possible mitigation might come from; she hasn't entered an early guilty plea; she denied literally everything and went through thirty police interviews maintaining her innocence, etc. There possibly possibly might be weight given to the fact that they might buy that she intended to cause GBH and not kill - especially if she's acquitted of the attempted murder charges and possibly something might be made of her claiming that she was acting out of mercy for some bizarre reason but if she's convicted of ten murders of helpless newborns then those mitigations are pretty thin ones, let's be honest here.

Even having said the above, the aggravating factors seem to entirely outweigh any mitigating ones; pre-planning, undoubtedly causing suffering, maintaining innocence, gross abuse of a position of absolute trust, manipulating others in order to allay suspicion (abuse of a position of trust again), the list is almost endless. Murdering ten babies, attempting to commit a dozen or so other murders is as serious as it gets and the age of someone convicted of that is going to be immaterial, IMO.

The statutory guidelines start:

Starting points

2(1)If—

(a)the court considers that the seriousness of the offence (or the combination of the offence and one or more offences associated with it) is exceptionally high, and

(b)the offender was aged 21 or over when the offence was committed,

the appropriate starting point is a whole life order.

(2)Cases that would normally fall within sub-paragraph (1)(a) include—

(a)the murder of two or more persons, where each murder involves any of the following—

(i)a substantial degree of premeditation or planning,

(ii)the abduction of the victim, or

(iii)sexual or sadistic conduct,

(b)the murder of a child if involving the abduction of the child or sexual or sadistic motivation,

(c)the murder of a police officer or prison officer in the course of his or her duty, where the offence was committed on or after 13 April 2015,

(d)a murder done for the purpose of advancing a political, religious, racial or ideological cause, or

(e)a murder by an offender previously convicted of murder.

I cannot see how, if she's convicted of everything, or even only a few of the murder charges, that any court (or anyone else, for that matter) would consider that the seriousness of such acts could be anything other than "Exceptionally High". To consider it to be anything less is bonkers, quite frankly. As quoted above, the starting point for a tariff for that is a Whole Life Order.

So, a WLO is far from unlikely if she's convicted - indeed, it is by any dispassionate application of all the factors, the most likely outcome or if being very generous the starting point from which a reduction may be made.

Al enitirely MOO and not to be taken as me giving an opinion on guilt/innocence, obvs.

I, and many others here, disagree with your assessment of this. Indeed, this has been mentioned as a strong possibility right from the time she was finally arrested in 2020. It seems to be generally accepted that a WLO is highly likely if she is convicted of multiple murders. At the very least it's very likely to be a starting point of a WLO which may get reduced down to, say, 40 years.

Of the few WLO's which have been passed I'm not aware of any judge taking into account the age of the defendant, although I admittedly haven't read up on them all. Joanne Dennehy was only in her late 20's (maybe just 30) when she was sentenced to a WLO for her murderous rampage. I don't think it was mentioned by the judge that her age was ever taken into consideration. JD even entered a guilty please from the outset so that didn't even get her any credit!

Although the statutory guidelines do make mention of the age of the offender being a consideration in setting the tariff - they are almost all about things directly relating to the crime such as planning, premeditation and motivation along with the actual crime itself and the suffering caused. Also things like the extent the perpetrator went to cover things up and get away with it. It's about punishing the crime, not taking account of the harm to the perpetrator going forward (I hate that phrase, btw)!

If she is indeed found guilty then I'm really struggling to see where any possible mitigation might come from; she hasn't entered an early guilty plea; she denied literally everything and went through thirty police interviews maintaining her innocence, etc. There possibly possibly might be weight given to the fact that they might buy that she intended to cause GBH and not kill - especially if she's acquitted of the attempted murder charges and possibly something might be made of her claiming that she was acting out of mercy for some bizarre reason but if she's convicted of ten murders of helpless newborns then those mitigations are pretty thin ones, let's be honest here.

Even having said the above, the aggravating factors seem to entirely outweigh any mitigating ones; pre-planning, undoubtedly causing suffering, maintaining innocence, gross abuse of a position of absolute trust, manipulating others in order to allay suspicion (abuse of a position of trust again), the list is almost endless. Murdering ten babies, attempting to commit a dozen or so other murders is as serious as it gets and the age of someone convicted of that is going to be immaterial, IMO.

The statutory guidelines start:

Starting points

2(1)If—

(a)the court considers that the seriousness of the offence (or the combination of the offence and one or more offences associated with it) is exceptionally high, and

(b)the offender was aged 21 or over when the offence was committed,

the appropriate starting point is a whole life order.

(2)Cases that would normally fall within sub-paragraph (1)(a) include—

(a)the murder of two or more persons, where each murder involves any of the following—

(i)a substantial degree of premeditation or planning,

(ii)the abduction of the victim, or

(iii)sexual or sadistic conduct,

(b)the murder of a child if involving the abduction of the child or sexual or sadistic motivation,

(c)the murder of a police officer or prison officer in the course of his or her duty, where the offence was committed on or after 13 April 2015,

(d)a murder done for the purpose of advancing a political, religious, racial or ideological cause, or

(e)a murder by an offender previously convicted of murder.

I cannot see how, if she's convicted of everything, or even only a few of the murder charges, that any court (or anyone else, for that matter) would consider that the seriousness of such acts could be anything other than "Exceptionally High". To consider it to be anything less is bonkers, quite frankly. As quoted above, the starting point for a tariff for that is a Whole Life Order.

So, a WLO is far from unlikely if she's convicted - indeed, it is by any dispassionate application of all the factors, the most likely outcome or if being very generous the starting point from which a reduction may be made.

Al enitirely MOO and not to be taken as me giving an opinion on guilt/innocence, obvs.
A whole life order is possible. A life sentence is far more likely. IMO

The closest precedent we have is the Beverley Allit case.

I don’t think judges were able to give whole life sentences at the time Allit was sentenced though. They could only be issued by the Home Secretary up until 2003, which may have played a part there.

I’d be very surprised if she didn’t get a WLO if she’s found guilty of all charges. We’re talking about murdering, and attempting to murder babies. I think there would be outrage.

??? Murder always results in a life sentence!

A Whole Life Order is one of the starting points for determining the punishment (time spent in prison) part of the sentence.

BA isn't the closest precedent as she was convicted well before the current statutory sentencing framework was enacted. BA is constantly compared to LL but it's a lazy comparison, IMO, as they are totally different. The only similarity is that they were both nurses who attacked patients. What little we do know about LL clearly demonstrates that she is a very different personality to BA. For a start she was actually a very good, hard working nurse, BA was neither of those.

Also, in relation to the age of the offender comments previously, BA was only about 22/23 when she commited her crimes and she's clearly never getting out.

Lots of people have been sentenced under the current framework. The closest we have, temporally and legally, as far as WLO's go is Waye Couzens. If LL is convicted then her sentencing remarks will be close to those made about WC, in my humble opinion.

All MOO and not implying guilt or innocence, obvs.

Last edited:
I don’t think judges were able to give whole life sentences at the time Allit was sentenced though. They could only be issued by the Home Secretary up until 2003, which may have played a part there.

I’d be very surprised if she didn’t get a WLO if she’s found guilty of all charges. We’re talking about murdering, and attempting to murder babies. I think there would be outrage.

Yes, the Home Secretary used to set all minimum terms, I think. It was a ridiculous situation which was obviously going to be challenged as a politician is never independent.

The only power the Home Sec retains, I think, is an ability to release prisoners in exceptional cases such as when they are knocking on Death's door.

I agree with your assessment on potential tariff. I simply cannot see any alternative; if she's convicted on multiple counts then calling it anything other than "exceptionally serious" is simply impossible to contemplate.

That's a very good point regards the whole life terms being brought in - which as you rightly point out, wouldn't have been an option when Allit was sentenced.

However, the 2011 Stepping Hill murders came after whole life terms could be applied by a Judge, who handed down a life sentence with a minimum term of 35 years.

We can easily point to the black and white available to us online and claim "nailed on whole life order".
The problem with this kind of thinking, is that it goes no way to explain the many, many instances where criminals that could be handed whole life orders are instead given life sentences, with a minimum period of life imprisonment.

That's a very good point regards the whole life terms being brought in - which as you rightly point out, wouldn't have been an option when Allit was sentenced.

However, the 2011 Stepping Hill murders came after whole life terms could be applied by a Judge, who handed down a life sentence with a minimum term of 35 years.

We can easily point to the black and white available to us online and claim "nailed on whole life order".
The problem with this kind of thinking, is that it goes no way to explain the many, many instances where criminals that could be handed whole life orders are instead given life sentences, with a minimum period of life imprisonment.
What are these "...many instances..."? I can't think of any, quite honestly. Also, I don't understand what you mean by "are instead given life sentences, with a minimum period of life imprisonment.". That doesn't seem to make much sense, sorry.

The judge gave very clear reasoning as to why Chua in the Stepping Hill case didn't get a WLO;

"...it is said that he did not intend to cause death; that may be so and that – and that alone – saves him from a whole life sentence..."

Another nurse?
Geez, it is terrifying how many weird people are attracted to medical professions o_O

JMO
I've thought that before but I'm not so sure it's the case that it attracts more weirdos than other professions, to be honest. When you think about it, even just in the UK there will be hundreds of thousands or even a million or more people in front line medical roles. The number of murdery doctors and nurses is tiny in reality. You also have to consider that even if there are no greater percentage of potentially murdery people in those sectors than in others, they are in a fairly unique position in having access to really dangerous drugs and equipment along with incapacitated and vulnerable people. A weirdo in those circumstances will have a greater opportunity to do harm, and to do it unnoticed for longer, than in most other professions.

I've thought that before but I'm not so sure it's the case that it attracts more weirdos than other professions, to be honest. When you think about it, even just in the UK there will be hundreds of thousands or even a million or more people in front line medical roles. The number of murdery doctors and nurses is tiny in reality. You also have to consider that even if there are no greater percentage of potentially murdery people in those sectors than in others, they are in a fairly unique position in having access to really dangerous drugs and equipment along with incapacitated and vulnerable people. A weirdo in those circumstances will have a greater opportunity to do harm, and to do it unnoticed for longer, than in most other professions.

Or you could argue equally that everyone is fine to start with but being a health care professional drives you slowly mad.......

I am not sure there exists any set point that a person convicted of murder would be eligible to apply to move to open prison. I could be wrong, and it may depend on their unique circumstances, however I was under the impression they might not be entitled to apply for release from a Cat B prison, let alone a Cat A.
Yes, sorry was typing in a rush - I meant, I believe they need to move up the cats (prior to any type of release, period - even temp release isn't an option in cat a/b) it is indeed a complicated process. :)

Or you could argue equally that everyone is fine to start with but being a health care professional drives you slowly mad.......
There might be a grain of truth there!

I mean -
how can a person cope being constantly surrounded by suffering, moans of pain, death?

I compare my job as a teacher - kids' laughter and silly pranks.

Day and Night really

JMO

Last edited:
There might be a grain of truth there!

I mean -
how can a person cope being constantly surrounded by suffering, moans of pain, death?

I compare my job as a teacher - kids' laughter and silly pranks.

Day and Night really

JMO

Blimey Dotta, it's not that bad! Not as bad as being surrounded by a load of schoolkids, my God, there's a vision of hell. :D

One of the early police interviews -

Letby is asked if she had taken any paperwork home in relation to the babies, Letby denies she has taken papers home, then adds: "I don't know - I might have taken some handover sheets accidentally. Not medical notes.
"They [the handover sheets] might have been taken [home] in my pocket."

Her final police interview on 3rd arrest -

In a third overarching interview, Letby is asked about the handover sheets.
She said, 'ideally', the handover sheets should be put in the confidential waste bin at the end of her shifts.
She said that at times, they would come home with her.
She is asked about 'a large quantity of handover sheets' at Letby's home address. She replies there was "no specific reason" why she had taken them home.
She said she would have been aware she still had the handover sheets when she got home, and put them in a folder in the spare room.
She said she "didn't know how to dispose of them" and no-one else had seen them.
She said she would have seen those handover sheets at home "hardly ever".
She said she did not have a shredder and those sheets were at home 'inadvertently'.
Other paperwork at home would have been policy sheets from different hospitals, in relation on how to care when a patient presents with various symptoms.
Letby said she 'had just not done anything' about the handover sheets when she got home.

"She said she would have seen those handover sheets at home "hardly ever"."

It sounds like a lie to me.

Putting sheets in a folder is organised and purposeful.

JMO
Her replies to these questions are so contradictory. Huge slip up here imo.
If guilty etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member