UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
3:39pm

The prosecution say that, within a minute or two of looking at the mother of Child G on Facebook, she then looked at the mums of two other babies listed in the charges.
One was the mum who, the prosecution said, "interrupted the attack" by Letby on Child E.

3:41pm

Mr Johnson: "The practice of the nurses on the NNU was to use the NGT to check whether an infant had an empty stomach before feeding. That was done in Child G’s case – nothing came up which means there was nothing in her stomach.
"She was then fed and her designated nurse went on a break. 15 minutes later Child G produced projectile vomits of such force that they left the cot and landed on the floor and nearby chair.
"Child G collapsed and stopped breathing. An amount of feed was aspirated from her NGT equal to what she had been given about 15 minutes earlier together with lots of air.
"There was a similar episode a few weeks later.
"These were not naturally occurring, or random events; they were deliberate attempts to kill using a slightly different method by whilst Lucy Letby sought to give the appearance of chance events in the neonatal unit at the Countess of Chester Hospital."

I’d be interested to know if she had ever searched up the parents of babies who weren’t harmed? I mean that may of been hard to determine but if she only searched the families of those harmed it seems pretty damning

I know it's only day 1, but I get the feeling the defence are going to have to pull out something special to get any result here. All the medical experts seem to agree the deaths were unnatural. It that scenario, I can't see a jury not finding SOMEONE guilty.
The medical experts instructed by the prosecution are well aware that Lucy Letby is being tried for murdering (or trying to murder) numerous patients. They know there were an unusually large number of unhappy incidents on her shifts. Their opinions will be biased even if they do not realise it. They will furthermore honestly say that baby X, Y or Z *could* have collapsed at that time for that reason, neatly corresponding to Lucy being alone with the child during that small time interval (the time interval told to them by investigators). They will be eager to agree with evaluations of colleagues.

3:39pm

The prosecution say that, within a minute or two of looking at the mother of Child G on Facebook, she then looked at the mums of two other babies listed in the charges.
One was the mum who, the prosecution said, "interrupted the attack" by Letby on Child E.

This is quite damning imo

They are suggesting the insulin was in the feed bag that goes to the stomach? I’m a bit confused. Would she have not put the insulin into the bloodstream instead?

No, it doesnt.

I wonder what angle the defence team will go on?
I think they'll have to explore the frequency of similar or "near-miss" events (e.g. the blotchy white/purple abdomen) that occurred overall in the ward and when LL wasn't on shift, i.e. try to establish that they were a common occurrence. Maybe try to argue that LL was on shift more often when these events were fatal but that doesn't equate to murder.

They'll definitely have medical experts to counter the prosecution's and offer alternative causes of death to air injections etc.

Will probably highlight short staffing on the ward that means the nurses sometimes have to check up on patients they're not designated (to explain her signatures being all over), and provide examples of other nurses signatures being all over.

Will need to argue that she has looked up the families of patients who haven't died on Facebook.

Probably will also highlight the senior nurse who said she'd been chatting with LL for a while before Child G's alarm sounded.

These are just from the top of my head so they'll have a tonne more

So LL repeatedly searched social media for Child E's parents over a period of months. Then later she searched for Child G's parents and also two other mum's of the children listed within the charges. Why? I can understand initial curisoity after a specific incident but this now clearly seems like a pattern of behaviour.

Nurses regularly accidentally take all kinds of stuff home in their nurse’s smock. Remember: they work long hours, very intensively. Have to deal with lots of paperwork as well as direct patient care. Are often not treated with respect and dignity by senior medics. There are worrying events happening all the time and regularly very traumatic events. Lucia de Berk had stuff at home which shouldn’t have been there. Everybody did.
It would be grossly illegal and deeply immoral - not to mention impossible - but I do wonder what the outcome would be if on one single day the state searched the home of every single nurse, doctor and other worker in a public safety critical role looking for things they shouldn't be in possession of from work. The country would stop, I'd guess, although I'm sure the vast majority of stuff found would have some sort of reasonable explanation for it.

One wonders what a mass test for illegal substances on every member of, say, the BBC, would result in? Lots of new "talent" being sought, most likely.

Anyway, that's all a bit off-topic so I'll stop now!

“Consistent with” says: she could have done it. The event is surely also consistent with other scenarios. Probably it is also consistent with actions of other nurses at other moments. I moreover imagine that accidental introduction of air into a cannula used for intravenous administration of necessary fluids is possible due to faulty apparatus or damaged bottles of fluids. At present we only have experts who were employed at the hospital or instructed by the prosecution. The defence will have instructed other experts. We will hear from them later. The question remains: if the collapse was completely unexpected and if it was so obviously weird why did the hypothesis of an injection of air not come up earlier? How come it’s taken five years to gather this evidence?
But it didn't take 5 years to get this evidence. They figured this out in the initial police investigation, and obviously there was unproven suspicions of her which is why she was moved to an admin role before the police started. It's taken 5 years to investigate all these cases but also cases of attempted murder, and other hospitals she trained in.

Also these are not experts employed by the hospital or instructed by the prosecution. These are external independent clinicians who have nothing to do with the hospital and did their review long before this case was even sent to the CPS. They have nothing to gain as they work in different parts of the country and frankly owe nothing to the hospital or the consultants/nurses there.

Frankly if it was a hospital cover up - they didn't need to start a police investigation. The initial RHPC report didn't speak of any criminal findings, or equipment damage and failure, or hold anyone responsible. If there was faulty apparatus, damaged bottles, surely 1 of the 2 independent reviews by external organisations would have called it out? The Trust could have avoided all this scandal and expense by just adopting the RHPC recommendations of staffing models etc. Everyone could have carried on as is because even the parents weren't demanding a post mortem. Clearly someone at the hospital, or many people were concerned there was actual foul play going on which is why they instigated this long, drawn out investigation AND moved LL to admin duties. You need to be very sure there's wrong doing, to discuss doing a post mortem on already traumatised families - it's not just standard practice.

The most important thing here is - there were multiple cases of the exact same unusual phenomenon happening, always when Lucy was in the room alone even when she wasn't supposed to be. You'd assume that after the first time or so it happened to her, she would be extra careful going forward to keep meticulous notes or flag to her superiors she thought something was wrong? They did say there was no notes found where she had requested insulin bags to be tested or IVs to be tested etc. Forget a criminal investigation, is someone's performance at work not judged by the % of errors/deaths/near misses they have compared to their peers? Given the total number of deaths at that hospital in the year, and the fact majority belonged to one nurse (so no other individual nurse could have had the same number of deaths associated with them), even from a line manager view, would you not be concerned why one nurse had much worse outcomes than all the others?

Wouldn't she herself be concerned by it and try to figure it out - instead she tells the police she can't remember the details of any of them. Obviously her leadership were concerned because they moved her off clinical duties and brought the police in. Her callousness at how many babies died in her care would be surprising to me. Unless the defence can prove instances where she raised an alarm or tried to discuss it with her superiors proactively, I think they were right to look at her performance against her peers.

MOO

It would be grossly illegal and deeply immoral - not to mention impossible - but I do wonder what the outcome would be if on one single day the state searched the home of every single nurse, doctor and other worker in a public safety critical role looking for things they shouldn't be in possession of from work. The country would stop, I'd guess, although I'm sure the vast majority of stuff found would have some sort of reasonable explanation for it.

One wonders what a mass test for illegal substances on every member of, say, the BBC, would result in? Lots of new "talent" being sought, most likely.

Anyway, that's all a bit off-topic so I'll stop now!

I dont think having a handover is unusual or damning...what is unusual and potentially damning is it was a handover with one of the victims from years previously.
Of course it depends if the defence show that she had lots of old documents which then would reduce its worth to the prosecution

They are suggesting the insulin was in the feed bag that goes to the stomach? I’m a bit confused. Would she have not put the insulin into the bloodstream instead?

Because I think insulin is supposed to go in the bloodstream.

It isn't supposed to go in the stomach. (Hence there are no insulin pills.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l