UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it so strange that the prosecution would refer to the weakest condemning point in the notes evidence. Why point to one single note and say that’s evidence of someone who doesn’t care about the rules or confidentiality when 99% of the surrounding evidence says the opposite? That’s the silliest thing I’ve seen from the prosecution. You are correct the notes say nothing IMO.
At a guess I would say that the handover notes thing is the nearest to 'bad character' evidence that they could introduce, and they might not have been allowed into evidence at all if none of them happened to include some of the babies in the case. It's the fact that some of the babies were in some of the notes which makes them just about admissible, I'd surmise.

I think the cps bought this to trial working with the diagnoses by dr evans being the strongest aspect of it. Everything else is supplementary and an afterthought.

as far as I can think, they haven’t actually presented much hard evidence of anything that is alleged if we push to the side the clinical notes that allowed dr evans to make the diagnosis.

jmo.
So the consultants initial discussions and concerns with management etc and the trust bringing in the police and carrying out a thorough investigation didn’t count?

Did the notes found at her parents or her home and the moving house and carrying these sensitive documents around not amount to anything?

Does dr Boheim medical evidence not count either, or any of the others? I don’t think we can take one piece and say nothing to see move along; it has to be viewed in its entirely. There were steps going on WAY before dr evans was even involved. People were raising concerns so I don’t think it’s that simple.
IMO

The whole handover sheet thing feels like a red herring to me now. She’d been randomly taking them home since she qualified. Not great from a confidentiality perspective, but it’s not evidence that at some point in the future she’d suddenly start a serial killing spree. She doesn’t even have handover notes for all the babies in the case. The suggestion these were souvenirs feels as weak as it possibly could be. JMO.

Agree. Probably unrelated, but it's being used to create a narrative to persuade a jury. A person on trial may be guilty of a particular offence but the narrative used to convict them coud be a million miles away from what actually happened. We have an adversarial rather than a truth-finding justice system, and this is the result.

Here is the cross examination of Dr Ravi Jayaram by Myers about child K. No it was not put to him that that the incident didn't happen.

Prosecution evidence, February 28th 2023, Day 63 - live updates Chester Standard - LIVE: Lucy Letby trial, Tuesday, February 28

Child K

Dr Ravi Jayaram

Cross-Examination

2:26pm

Mr Myers says Dr Jayaram was worried about being irrational at the time.
Dr Jayaram said he was concerned and didn't want to see Child K in a different condition. They were not based on a clinical reason, or if Child K had any underlying conditions.
Mr Myers said he believed, from Dr Jayaram's interview with police, the suspicious behaviour had been deliberate.
Dr Jayaram: "That had crossed my mind, yes."
Mr Myers: "You 'got her', then?"
Dr Jayaram: "No."
Dr Jayaram said he wanted this investigated objectively in a proper way, and there was "absolutely no evidence that we could prove anything - as that is not our job, we are doctors."
Mr Myers said he had told the police if the tube had been dislodged on purpose. He asks if he had confronted Lucy Letby.
"No, absolutely not." Dr Jayaram said he was focused on the situation.
Mr Myers says it did not happen in the way Dr Jayaram describes.
Dr Jayaram: "I am interested in why you say that."
Mr Myers says it is not documented in medical notes.
Dr Jayaram says that would not be the sort noted in medical documentation.
Mr Myers says there is nothing to say the tube is dislodged.
Dr Jayaram says it is obvious from the medical notes.

2:30pm

He says, in isolation, the incidents were unusual, and more concerning in a pattern of behaviour.
He said: "We, as a group of consultants by this stage, had experience of an unusual event, and there was one particular nurse.
"All of these events were unusual. Yes, if we put in Datix [incident forms] we could have investigated sooner and been here [in court] sooner."
He said he, and his other consultants, wanted to know how this could be investigated, and tried their best to escalate concerns higher up the hospital.
Mr Myers says there is no record anywhere of the suspicious behaviour noted.
Dr Jayaram says he did not anticipate being sat in a courtroom, years down the line, speaking to Mr Myers.
"If you feel someone is deliberately harming [children], you would do so, wouldn't you?"
Dr Jayaram said concerns had been raised before February 2016, and were raised again following this incident.
Mr Myers says Lucy Letby continued to work at the unit for a further four months.

2:34pm

Dr Jayaram says the concerns were first raised in autumn 2015 with senior management, but were told that there was likely nothing going on.
He said the consultants went 'ok', and against their better judgment, carried on.
"We were stuck, as we had concerns.
"In retrospect, we wished we had bypassed them [senior management] and contacted the police."
"We by no means had played judge and jury, but the association was becoming clearer and clearer.
"This is an unprecedented situation for us - we play by a certain rulebook, and you don't start from a position of deliberate harm.
"It is very easy to see things that aren't there - in confirmation bias.
"But these episodes were becoming more and more and more frequent by association."
Dr Jayaram said it should have been documented throughout more.
He says he discussed the incident, but did not formally document it.
Dr Jayaram said he was getting "a reasonable amount of pressure from senior management not to make a fuss".

2:36pm

Dr Jayaram says he does not understand why an alarm did not go off, and why a call for help had not gone out when Child K was desaturating.
He said, in relation to the suspicions, he "did not want to believe it".
He said it "took a long time for police to be involved".

2:39pm

Dr Jayaram says the tube is 'very unlikely' to have been dislodged by a 25-week gestational age infant, in that short timeframe.
He says that can happen when a baby is 'very vigorous' - heavier, stronger babies, or when a baby is being handled or receiving cares.
Mr Myers said it was still possible for the tube to be dislodged by Child K.
Dr Jayaram says 'anything is possible', but Child K was 'not a very active baby', and a baby of this weight, size and age meant that was unlikely.

2:42pm

Dr Jayaram said the receiving consultant would not have assumed the tube had been dislodged by anyone else.
Mr Myers says the alarm on the ventilator was not alarming, according to Dr Jayaram.
Dr Jayaram says he had not got up because the alarm was going off. He said if it was, he would have been prompted to go in, and that would have been his reason for going in the nursery room.
Mr Myers asks if a conversation took place with Ms Williams after the desaturation.
Dr Jayaram says he does not recall the conversation. He says: "Why would I ask her what happened in the room when she wasn't there?"

2:48pm

The court is shown swipe data for Joanne Williams, who left the neonatal unit at 3.47am.
Mr Myers says it is very precise in coinciding with Dr Jayaram's recollection of waiting two-three minutes before the desaturation is timed at 3.50am, and asks if Dr Jayaram always has such a precise memory.
Dr Jayaram says "In this event, I did."
He adds: "I kept telling myself, don't be ridiculous [about my suspicions]. I looked at my watch - I didn't have a stopwatch."
Dr Jayaram says he has never seen the swipe data, nor had cause to look at any data.
Dr Jayaram says it would be appreciated if Mr Myers gave an indication of where he was going with his questioning.
Mr Myers says an earlier police interview had Dr Jayaram not giving a precise estimate how long Joanne Williams had been out, but is able to give a more precise estimate now, several years later.
Dr Jayaram says he has had more time to reflect on this incident.
Dr Jayaram: "The point is, this incident happened in the window when she [Joanne Williams] was out."
He tells the court the incident of this night is "emblazoned" in his mind.

2:54pm

Dr Jayaram adds he "refutes" the allegation the care the hospital team provided contributed to the outcome of Child K.
Mr Myers asks if the focus on this incident was to "distract" from the overall care provided by the medical team to Child K.
Dr Jayaram: "Well, that's an easy one to answer: Absolutely not."
"Are you seeking to bolster suspicion against Lucy Letby?"
"Absolutely not."
Mr Myers asks if there was an opportunity, within the 48 hours before Child K's mother gave birth, to transfer her to a tertiary centre. Dr Jayaram says he does not have that decision to make, and cannot answer that, but adds there were many factors to consider.

2:57pm

Dr Jayaram is asked about the intubation process.
Mr Myers says the process was carried out by a 'relatively junior registrar', Dr James Smith. Dr Jayaram said Dr Smith had been assessed as competent and experienced enough, and it was 'standard practice' to carry out these procedures.
"I could see he could do this, and safely."
He adds if Child K was struggling to be ventilated at the time, and the heart rate and saturations were not being maintained, then he would have taken over.

3:00pm

Mr Myers asks about the high air leak.
Dr Jayaram says the 94% leak is a measured value, and is significant is the baby is struggling to be ventilated; but if the baby is being ventilated, then it is just noted.
Mr Myers says lung surfactant should be administered within five minutes of intubation. Dr Jayaram: "Ideally, yes."
He says it is used to improve gas exchange.
If it is given slightly later than expected, it would "not make much difference in the long run", as it is important the baby is receiving ventilation at the time.

3:07pm

Mr Myers asks why only Dr Jayaram and not Dr James Smith made notes. Dr Jayaram says he does not know why that was the case.
Dr Jayaram's medical notes are shown to the court, and the medicines are highlighted. Mr Myers says it appears the antibiotics have been delivered at the right time.

3:10pm

A prescription chart is shown for one of the medicines, 'time given 0445'. Dr Jayaram agrees it appears it was administered at that time, and should have been administered sooner.
He says the late administration of the antibiotics is important, the vitamin K not so.
Mr Myers says he will next talk about the morphine infusion.

3:28pm

Dr Jayaram is asked about the morphine infusion recorded, which appears on the notes above a note added, timed at 3.50am.
Dr Jayaram says, having seen the prescription chart, the morphine infusion would not have happened before the desaturation.
Mr Myers said Dr Jayaram had told police Child K had been sedated with morphine. Dr Jayaram said that was what he had believed at the time.
Dr Jayaram says Child K was not on a morphine infusion prior to the desaturation. "However", she was not a vigorous baby.
He says, in retrospect, he will accept the morphine was not running prior to the desaturation.
He says he is "surprised" it was not running sooner.
He says he believed, "in good faith", the morphine was running at the time.
Mr Myers: "Have you tried to shift your evidence? That you can't blame it on morphine?"
Dr Jayaram: "Even accounting for the fact she was not on morphine, she was a 25-week gestational age", small, and weighing 600g and was stable - 'poorly, but stable'. He says that the dislodging happened in such a short space of time was "concerning".
He says Child K was able to move her arms and legs, but not enough to dislodge a tube.
He says his previous statement was based on a "genuine misunderstanding based on my notes".
He says he does not accept he made a "deliberate error".

3:30pm

Dr Jayaram says he is not aware of a nursing note recording 'blood-stained oral secretions'.
The nursing note by Joanne Williams which refers to this is shown to the court.
Dr Jayaram says that is in the back of Child K's mouth, not in the tube, and is not clinically relevant. It was "not a significant finding".
He says he would have noted if the tube had been blocked, and he would have noted it.

3:33pm

Dr Jayaram says the tube blockage would lead to a gradual deterioration, quite quick, but did not fit the pattern of Child K's deterioration.
Mr Myers suggests the care of Child K provided could have been improved.
Dr Jayaram said it could have been better.
Mr Myers suggests Dr Jayaram has added to his account over the years.
Dr Jayaram: "I would disagree with that - you would be questioning my brevity and honesty."
I know I have said this before but Dr J treated my baby son and was superb. I cannot rate him highly enough. I know that is one opinion , but it is one very firmly held.

Edited to correct typo !

I find it so strange that the prosecution would refer to the weakest condemning point in the notes evidence. Why point to one single note and say that’s evidence of someone who doesn’t care about the rules or confidentiality when 99% of the surrounding evidence says the opposite? That’s the silliest thing I’ve seen from the prosecution. You are correct the notes say nothing IMO.
I don't get you. What 99 percent of the evidence says the opposite?

At a guess I would say that the handover notes thing is the nearest to 'bad character' evidence that they could introduce, and they might not have been allowed into evidence at all if none of them happened to include some of the babies in the case. It's the fact that some of the babies were in some of the notes which makes them just about admissible, I'd surmise.
Both prosecution and defence are trying to get a jury to lean towards their version of events. The jury are all individuals themselves with their own thoughts, experiences, biases and interpretations. For some of them the handover notes might be a factor, for some of them they might not particularly be important. I can completely understand why the prosecution are going hard on the notes. They are trying to set the scene of someone who thinks they are above protocols in a case where there are some potential negative comments about LL, but also plenty of positive ones in respect of her nursing.

I think the interesting thing with this is those
related to the charges were found (mostly) in that one bag-(do correct me if I’m wrong, I’m finding it hard to keep up with just how much paperwork she had!) regardless to how long she had been doing it.

So let’s say it was indeed a 5 yr period; the question still remains, why those listed in the charges in that one bag, and why wouldn’t she dispose, destroy or return as appropriate?
She’s seems quite an educated women, she’s managed to get through her training to start with to actually qualify. She would have had assignments/essays etc she would have had to complete, travel expense forms and her learning log., a dissertation. all needed to be handed in, timely, to qualify.

I find it very difficult to accept she has some kind of problem or boundaries or whatever on this matter as you describe, just by the very nature of the hoops students have to get through to actually achieve the pin to even practice as a nurse.

None of it really makes a lot of sense to me.
Moo
Her answers sound very similar to things people have said to me who I know have issues facing up to why they do (or don't do) certain things. I don't think this relates to guilt about the charges (if she's guilty) and the fact that she's been acquiring these for years makes me more sure of that.

As I've said, I'm certainly no expert but it seems to me as though she has a serious issue with getting rid of things - some fear of loss and can't bear divesting herself of things, needs to acquire stuff for security or similar. I'm not educated in this sort of thing so don't really know how to describe it but this goes far deeper than these allegations, I think. As I say, her answers make no sense and pretty much mirror what other people have said to me about things which simply make no sense and are not in any way a rational answer.

I thought they only found one handovers in the black bag in the garage?
I think the main point Johnson was alluding to was the idea that she doesn't practice what she preaches. That she datex's this, that and the third thing but pays little regard to the rules herself. Ground work, some might say.

I think the cps bought this to trial working with the diagnoses by dr evans being the strongest aspect of it. Everything else is supplementary and an afterthought.

as far as I can think, they haven’t actually presented much hard evidence of anything that is alleged if we push to the side the clinical notes that allowed dr evans to make the diagnosis.

jmo.
Yes if we ignore the months of medical testimony from countless experts at the top of their fields then there is really little hard evidence here. But why would we do that?

Agree. Probably unrelated, but it's being used to create a narrative to persuade a jury. A person on trial may be guilty of a particular offence but the narrative used to convict them coud be a million miles away from what actually happened. We have an adversarial rather than a truth-finding justice system, and this is the result.
I disagree with this. It's the whole reason why the judge sums up the case and points out which matters are to be considered, and in what context; and reminds the jury what each side said about a particular point.

I hope the prosecution ups its game tomorrow as I don't feel its done much in the way of setting the stage for a case-cracking denouement today. The opening gambit was imo juvenile, tabloid almost, sensational even, with no regard to how long LL has had to process the charges against her and/or consider things from her very no doubt drained perspective.

To pounce upon what they view as her 'selective' emotion during the trial and while on the stand as evidence of her cold-bloodedness is just... well, just not well thought through. I'll leave it at that.

JMO etc.

Last edited:
Both prosecution and defence are trying to get a jury to lean towards their version of events. The jury are all individuals themselves with their own thoughts, experiences, biases and interpretations. For some of them the handover notes might be a factor, for some of them they might not particularly be important. I can completely understand why the prosecution are going hard on the notes. They are trying to set the scene of someone who thinks they are above protocols in a case where there are some potential negative comments about LL, but also plenty of positive ones in respect of her nursing.
I respectfully disagree, because she isn't on trial for allegedly killing babies through lack of care for protocols. That would be negligence and would be a civil claims matter.

I disagree with this. It's the whole reason why the judge sums up the case and points out which matters are to be considered, and in what context; and reminds the jury what each side said about a particular point.
What I find interesting is that the Judge must have called nurse manager Elaine Powell to the stand himself.
She was called neither by the defence nor the prosecution.
The judge pretty much told johnson he couldn't cross examine her. She wasn't the defences witness because letby has to be the first (if giving evidence) according to the law.

Her answers sound very similar to things people have said to me who I know have issues facing up to why they do (or don't do) certain things. I don't think this relates to guilt about the charges (if she's guilty) and the fact that she's been acquiring these for years makes me more sure of that.

As I've said, I'm certainly no expert but it seems to me as though she has a serious issue with getting rid of things - some fear of loss and can't bear divesting herself of things, needs to acquire stuff for security or similar. I'm not educated in this sort of thing so don't really know how to describe it but this goes far deeper than these allegations, I think. As I say, her answers make no sense and pretty much mirror what other people have said to me about things which simply make no sense and are not in any way a rational answer.
It’s a valid and fair point, the cards (keeping hold of/taking photos of them) whilst to some (me included) does sound very strange- seems similar to what you describe.
With that said though, it’s quite difficult to make sense of whether *that* is the case or not when she would have had to “let go” of things (essays, learning log etc) in order to actually qualify.

It’s an interesting perspective though because we hear she moved quite a bit; her parents, to study at uni, qualifying, hosp accommodation, her colleagues flat (and back again!) and then her new home; so I would envisage someone who would find moving around a lot quite difficult “if” she struggled to let go of things/loss.

Interesting the conversation about going to New Zealand (?) with her doctor colleague/friend and she said her parents wouldn’t like it- but she sounds like she doesn’t live (I don’t think) particularly close to her parents. Re attachment or loss theory, if that is what’s going on here, i’m surprised she had her own (bought) house quite young. People with the types of behaviour you describe generally have difficulties with that sort of thing. In my experience at least.
Moo
EBM

When a judge sums up the case and points out which matters should be disregarded, it's usually because that "evidence" or matters raised are contentious in some way and would be likely to lead to a successful appeal. For example, when evidence that had been ruled inadmissable is "accidentally" presented to the jury. A narrative can be painted by the prosecution which is not the actual truth, but because both sides have had an opportunity to address that evidence there is nothing to preclude it from the jury's deliberations.

The judge can say what he wants but it's the jury that make the decision and their decision (maybe even subconsciously) will be decided on all the evidence they hear.

A single note? I must have missed that, he said “notes” I believe the discussion was 250 odd in fact? How does 99% of the surrounding evidence say the opposite when she was discussing it with her colleagues whilst off duty, searching the families in anniversaries and keeping the medical information in hers and her parents home?
I don’t think these babies mothers would quite agree, knowing their babies information is in her house, her parents, in bags scattered under her bed etc.

Moo
Within the notes total evidence he only really has the one note in the black bag as evidence implying she didn’t care about confidentiality which is my point. He only has that to imply she had a reckless attitude about confidentiality and it stands alone compared to the seemingly quite tight organisation of handovers at hers generally. It’s an exceptionally weak proposition.

I hope the prosecution ups its game tomorrow as I don't feel its done much in the way of setting the stage for a case-cracking denouement today. The opening gambit was imo juvenile, tabloid almost, sensational even, with no regard to how long LL has had to process the charges against her and/or consider things from her perspective.

JMO etc.
I hope the prosecution ups its game tomorrow as I don't feel its done much in the way of setting the stage for a case-cracking denouement today. The opening gambit was imo juvenile, tabloid almost, sensational even, with no regard to how long LL has had to process the charges against her and/or consider things from her perspective.

To pounce upon what they view as her 'selective' emotion during the trial and while on the stand as evidence of her cold-bloodness is just... well, not well thought through. I'll leave it at that.

JMO etc.
Have to agree, it came off as a little gung ho,
A more sensitive build may have won him more points with the jury.
Perhaps he's fCkd off with her bs!!

Last edited:
It’s a valid and fair point, the cards (keeping hold of/taking photos of them) whilst to some (me included) does sound very strange- seems similar to what you describe.
With that said though, it’s quite difficult to make sense of whether *that* is the case or not when she would have had to “let go” of things (essays, learning log etc) in order to actually qualify.

It’s an interesting perspective though because we hear she moved quite a bit; her parents, to study at uni, qualifying, hosp accommodation, her colleagues flat (and back again!) and then her new home; so I would envisage someone who would find moving around a lot quite difficult “if” she struggled to let go of things/loss.

Interesting the conversation about going to New Zealand (?) with her doctor colleague/friend and she said her parents wouldn’t like it- but she sounds like she doesn’t live (I don’t think) particularly close to her parents. Re attachment or loss theory, if that is what’s going on here, i’m surprised she had her own (bought) house quite young. People with the types of behaviour you describe generally have difficulties with that sort of thing. In my experience at least.
Moo
EBM
I wonder if it was ventrix's unprofessionalism and bizarre practice with chest drains that made her face not fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member