UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the case against child H was weak.
We are aware that LL was under the doctor in childhood, that she had a strong attachment to a teacher, that her animals are in some way related to her thought process of the alleged crimes and that she felt overwhelmed at times by her parents attachment to her.
Not a definitive picture by any means but an interesting collection of features.
Yes, the needles in her lung area can be a big problem for the prosecution in baby H case. I agree.

10:40am

The trial is now resuming, following a short legal discussion.
Nicholas Johnson KC, for the prosecution, is continuing to cross-examine, and is asking Lucy Letby questions in the case of Child C.

3m ago10:27

Good morning - here is what we can expect today​

Sky News is back inside Manchester Crown Court where the cross-examination of nurse Lucy Letby is due to continue this morning.
It is her seventh day of giving evidence, and the second full day of cross-examination.
It is expected Nick Johnson KC will continue with the case of Child C.
Who were the children mentioned yesterday?
Child A & B: A twin boy and girl

Letby is charged with the murder of Child A and the attempted murder of Child B.
Child A, the youngest, died within 90 minutes of Letby coming on to shift. The prosecution alleges he "most likely" died after being injected with air.
His sister, Child B, was attacked 28 hours later - but survived.
Child C: A boy
Letby is accused of murdering Child C.
The prosecution alleges that air found in his gut had been purposefully injected.
Letby is accused of murdering seven babies and attempting to murder 10 others between June 2015 and June 2016.
She denies all charges against her.

Sky News Lucy Letby murder trial latest: 'Killer' nurse becomes emotional as she is accused of enjoying baby dying
The prosecutor asks Letby if she wanted to get straight back into nursery one of the Countess of Chester's neonatal unit, where Child A was being cared for, after his death.

She agrees and says from her experience at Liverpool Women's Hospital, "if you've lost a baby in a certain cot space you go back... so you can move on from that first experience".

--

The shift leader on duty previously told the court she had to order Letby to look after her designated baby rather than get herself involved in other children.

"Is that true?" Mr Johnson asks. Letby says she doesn't remember the conversation.

"I'm going to suggest you were unhappy with the arrangements she'd made that dictated where you were working, do you agree?" he asks.

Letby concedes she was unhappy but it was down to the decision of a previous shift leader.
--
Mr Johnson questions whether Letby agrees air was injected into the IV (intravenous) lines of both or either Child A and B - she says she doesn't.

"Do you accept you had the opportunity to have access to the IV lines of both children before they collapsed?"

"Yes, but I didn't access the lines," she says.

--

Nick Johnson KC says a medical review of Child A found an air bubble in his brain and lungs.

"Did you inject Child A with that?" Letby is asked.

She replies: "No."

Other doctors also discovered air bubbles. Mr Johnson puts to her: "That's because you injected him with air, isn't it?"

Letby denies that she did.

--

wtf...

Defence Case continued Thursday 18th May 2023 -

Lucy Letby's CROSS-EXAMINATION

CHILD C

Mr Johnson moves on to the shift in which Letby was present. A shift rota is shown to the court, showing Letby was looking after two babies that night on June 13. She was in nursery room 3, with Child C in room 1 that night.
Mr Johnson says this was another shift when Letby had "migrated" to room 1.
Letby: "Yes, in response to [Child C's] care needs." She says she has no recollection of going to see Child C prior to his collapse.
Letby says she was unhappy at being in room 3 for that shift - as opposed to room 1 - but that was the decision of the prior shift leader.
Letby's nursing colleague had said Letby's designated baby in room 3 needed attention, after Letby had asked if she could be redeployed to room 1 that night.
Letby: "Yes, [they] did need attention and I gave [them] attention."
Letby had sent a message to Jennifer Jones-Key: "I just keep thinking about Mon. Feel like I need to be in 1 to overcome it but [colleague] said no x"
JJK: "I agree with her don't think it will help. You need a break from full on ITU. You have to let it go or it will eat you up i know not easy and will take time x"
LL: "Not the vented baby necessarily. I just feel I need to be in 1 to get the image out of my head, Mel has said the same and [colleague] let her go. Being in 3 is eating me up, all I can see is him in 1"
"It probably sounds odd but it's how I feel X"
JJK: "Well it's up to you but don't think it's going to help. It sounds very odd and I would be complete opposite. Can understand [colleague] she trying to look after you all"
LL: "Well that's how I feel, from when I've experienced it at women's I've needed to go straight back and have a sick baby otherwise the image of the one you lost never goes. Why send Mel in if she's trying to look after us, She was in bits over it. X
"Don't expect people to understand but I know how I feel and how I've dealt with it before, I've voiced that so can't do anymore but people should respect that X"
JJK: "Ok x
JJK: "I think They do respect it but also trying to help you. Why don't you go in one for a bit. X"
LL: "Yeah I've done couple of meds in 1. I'll be fine X"
JJK: "It didn't sound like you would be? Sorry was eating my tea x"
LL: ...Forget i said anything, I'll be fine,It's part of the job just don't feel like there is much team spirit tonight X"
JJK: "...I'm not going to forget but just think your way to hard on yourself. It is part of the job but the worst part but I do believe it makes us stronger people."
LL: "Unfortunately I've seen my fair share at the women's but you are supported differently & here it's like people want to tell you how to think/Feel. Anyway. Onwards & upwards. Just shame i'm on with Mel & [colleague].Sophie in 1 so haven't got her to talk to either."

JJK: "Work is work.
A lot of the girls say women's don't support and tell them to get on with it. I think they don't mean to tell you thou and were over caring sometimes
Yeah that's not good but you got Liz x"
LL: "Women's can be awful but I learnt hard way that you have to speak up to get support. I lost a baby one day.and few hours later was given another dying baby just born in the same cot space. Girls there said it was important to overcome the image. It was awful but by.end of day i realised they were right. It's just different here X
"Anyway, forget it. I can only talk about it properly with those who knew him and Mel not interested so I'll overcome it myself. You get some sleep X"
Letby accepts there were two babies in room 1, but does not accept she was specifically wanting to look after Child C.
Letby tells the court: "It wasn't about me wanting to get my own way."
Letby accepts she was upset, "just generally", that her feeings weren't being considered by a colleague and Melanie Taylor.
Mr Johnson says if this was the Melanie Taylor who Letby had said "potentially" caused a child's death. Letby: "Potentially, yes."
JJK: "That's a bit mean isn't it. Don't have to know him to understand we've all been there. Yep off to bed now x"
LL: "I don't mean it like that, just that only those who saw him know what image i have in my head X
"Forget it. Im obviously making more of it than I should X"

Letby tells the court she had hoped Jennifer Jones-Key would have been more understanding to how she was feeling, and was frustrated, and the conversation was not going anywhere, so she wanted to "leave the conversation".

3:58pm

Letby says colleague Sophie Ellis was the least experienced member of staff on that shift and "did not have the skills for the job" of looking after small, premature babies in room 1.
"I did not think she was qualified for the job...She did not have the skills for the premature babies [in room 1]."
She denies that Sophie Ellis did anything to cause Child C's collapse.
Mr Johnson: "She had something you wanted?"
Letby: "No."

Chester Standard - Recap: Lucy Letby trial, May 18 - prosecution cross-examines Letby
"Letby had sent a message to Jennifer Jones-Key: "I just keep thinking about Mon. Feel like I need to be in 1 to overcome it but [colleague] said no x"
Could this be a compulsion to see death and when recently seen death the compulsion is stronger to see it again? Could there have been deaths in her own lifetime (Grandparents, friends, pets for instance?) where there was a fixation or obsession? Just my opinion. My own opinion. JMO

Edited to add this link:

"While there's nothing wrong with reading up on shocking current events, a normal morbid fascination can start to spiral out of control. If you begin to feel more pleasure from the thrill of reading about tragedy than sadness for those involved, you could be desensitizing yourself to how terrible things can be. "If you're seeking out death and blood and gore, especially if it's because of a morbid pleasure rather than a sympathetic response, it could alter your perception of life in general,” says Goldfine. “It's never a good thing to get enjoyment out of the pain of others." Remind yourself that you'd likely feel very different if this were about you or someone you loved, and that could help ground you a bit."

Last edited:
10:44am

Mr Johnson says text messages were exchanged between Letby and Jennifer Jones-Key between 11.01pm and 11.09pm.
Letby says she does not accept she was in room 1 at the time of Child C's collapse. She says she has "no memory" of it.
Nurse Sophie Ellis had said she was in room 1 at the time, and Letby said in police interview, based on that, she was in room 1.
Letby says she "disputes" that, as she has "no memory" of it.
"Do you dispute being born?" Mr Johnson asks.
"No." Letby replies.
NJ: "But you have no memory of it?"
LL: "No."

10:50am

Letby is asked why she let a band 4 nursery nurse look after her designated baby.
Letby says it's "not unusual" for band 4 nurses to assist her in her duties.
LL: "I have no memory of that".
NJ: "Did you have something better to do?"
Mr Johnson says the text at 11.01pm sent by Letby to Jennifer Jones-Key meant she must not have been in a clinical area, and would not have had time to feed her designated baby in room 3.
LL: "I can't answer that."
Mr Johnson says it took her out of the nursing area. Letby said she would have been "in the doorway" of the unit.

"Letby had sent a message to Jennifer Jones-Key: "I just keep thinking about Mon. Feel like I need to be in 1 to overcome it but [colleague] said no x"
Could this be a compulsion to see death and when recently seen death the compulsion is stronger to see it again? Could there have been deaths in her own lifetime (Grandparents, friends, pets for instance?) where there was a fixation or obsession? Just my opinion. My own opinion. JMO
I also thought her saying "You're not supposed to watch a baby die" was interesting wording too. Made me think, if guilty, was that part of the attraction, that you weren't "supposed to " .

Here's the full exchange to add context:

Asked by Mr Myers to describe the atmosphere among medics when a child cannot be revived, Letby said: “Everyone is completely flat.

“There is a complete change in atmosphere.

Mr Myers said: “How does it feel?”

Letby said: “To me personally? It’s devastating. You want to be able to save every baby in your care.

“You are not supposed to watch a baby die.”

'Do you dispute you were born?'​

Nick Johnson KC is continuing his prosecution questioning with the case of Child C.
Letby denies she was in the room at the Countess of Chester hospital when Child C collapsed, telling the court she has "no memory" of it. She previously told police she was in the room.
Mr Johnson asks how, if she has no memory, she can dispute the fact she was in the nursery.
"I have not agreed that I was definitely in the nursery," she said.
Mr Johnson says she is "ignoring the question" because she cannot answer the question.
"Do you remember being born?" Mr Johnson asks.
"No," Letby says.
"Do you dispute you were born?"
After a pause, Letby replies: "No."

11:00am

Mr Johnson says Melanie Taylor, in evidence, described Letby as "cool and calm".
Letby does not dispute that.
She disputes saying to the Melanie Taylor that Child C had had a brady, as she has no memory of it.
Notes by Dr Katherine Davis are shown to the court for Child C's collapse.
At the time of arrival, "chest compressions in progress"
"Occasional intermittent gasps noted".
"Unable to pass ET Tube as cords++" - the court hears the cords were "swollen".
Mr Johnson asks Letby if it was a "theme" that when doctors went to intubate, they had difficulties, with swollen cords and/or bleeding. Letby accepts that was the case. She denies putting anything down Child C's throat.
Mr Johnson: "Do you agree something caused [Child C]'s stomach to collapse before the collapse?"
Letby says the stomach dilation "could have been caused by the Neopuff resuscitation".
Letby is asked if she had seen the kind of decline as seen by Child C before. Letby says she has, but not the way Child C 'clinged to life'.
NJ: "You enjoyed the aftermath of this, didn't you?"
NJ: "Why were you so keen to spend time with the [Child C] family as they cradled their drying child?"
LL: "I don't agree with that, I wasn't there a lot of the time."
Letby disputes being "repeatedly" in the family room afterwards, adding: "I don't recall [colleague] having to pull me out [of there]."
She disputes the statement made by her colleague.

Letby 'cool and calm' when Child C collapsed​

During the night Child C collapsed, Letby was not his assigned nurse but was supposed to be looking after another child in a different room on the unit.
Mr Johnson asks why Letby left the child she was assigned in the care of another - less qualified - colleague.
"Did you have something better to do?" he asks.
"No. Both babies that night had the care they needed."
The court is shown text messages Letby sent to a colleague at 11.01pm. It is around this time the prosecution claims she was in the room with Child C.
A staff member had previously described Letby's demeanour at the time of the child's collapse as "cool and calm".
When asked about this, Letby says: "I would expect staff to be cool and calm, it's what we are trained to do."

11:03am

Letby is asked "what useful function" she was contributing to the family during the "dreadful situation" they were going through.
Letby said she cannot recall, other than gathering the mementos, which is a two-person job.
Letby says she would have to see the bereavement checklist charts to see if there was anything she had co-signed, as otherwise she does not recall and has no memory.
The judge asks if hand and footprints are collected when the baby is still alive. Letby replies they can be, or after they have passed.

11:05am

Letby denies that she was "enjoying what was going on".

Posted at 11:0711:07

I have seen babies suddenly collapse before, says Letby​

ee1f1e45-2687-4090-816e-cd3f8b8e263c.jpg

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
Nick Johnson KC says baby C had massive gastric dilation and ballooning of the stomach when he collapsed.
He asks: "For some reason a heart rate was restored and he clung to life for a further five hours plus. Have you ever seen that sort of decline before?"
Lucy Letby replies: "I have seen babies suddenly collapse before."
Johnson says: "You enjoyed the aftermath of this didn’t you?"
Letby says: "No."
The prosecutor then asks: "Why were you so keen to involve yourself with baby C’s family as they cradled their dying son?"
Lucy Letby says: "I don’t recall being there for a lot of the time like they’ve said."

10:55

Letby asked about collapse of baby C​

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
Prosecutor Nick Johnson KC has begun his cross-examination by carrying on his questions relating to baby C, a boy, who Lucy Letby is accused of murdering.
Letby says she was not in the room when baby C collapsed, in June 2015.
Johnson asks her: "Do you dispute you were in the room at the time of the collapse?"
The nurse responds: "Yes, because I have no memory of that."
Johnson then questions: "Do you remember being born?"
Johnson: "Do you dispute being born?"
Letby: "No."

11:07

I have seen babies suddenly collapse before, says Letby​

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
Nick Johnson KC says baby C had massive gastric dilation and ballooning of the stomach when he collapsed.
He asks: "For some reason a heart rate was restored and he clung to life for a further five hours plus. Have you ever seen that sort of decline before?"
Lucy Letby replies: "I have seen babies suddenly collapse before."
Johnson says: "You enjoyed the aftermath of this didn’t you?"
The prosecutor then asks: "Why were you so keen to involve yourself with baby C’s family as they cradled their dying son?"
Lucy Letby says: "I don’t recall being there for a lot of the time like they’ve said."

Letby denies she 'enjoyed the aftermath' of alleged victim's death​

Nick Johnson KC, for the prosecution, asks about the swelling and bleeding found in the throat of Child C.
"Do you agree this becomes a theme when doctors look down the throats of these children they find swelling or bleeding?" Mr Johnson asks.
"Yes, I know doctors have commented on that," Letby says.
Child C was fed at 11pm, and collapsed at 11.15pm. Extensive CPR was undertaken and "a heart rate was restored".
"Do you remember that?" Mr Johnson asks Letby.
"Yes."
"He clung to life for a further five hours plus"
"Yes."
"Have you ever seen that sort of a decline before?"
Letby says: "In the context of when he first collapsed? Yes, I have seen babies suddenly collapse before."
"And cling to life the way Child C did?"
"No, I haven't seen that."
"You enjoyed the aftermath of this, didn't you?" Mr Johnson asks.
"No."
"Why were you so keen to involve yourself with the family as they cradled their dying son?"
"I don't agree with that," Letby says.
A colleague said they had to keep pulling Letby from the family room.
Asked if she disputes this, Letby says: "I agree I probably went round at some point, but not repeatedly and I don't recall my colleague having to pull me back out."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtKnee