UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many colleagues have lied or misremembered so far? I hope the prosecution provides a total in their final Statement as it’s getting ridiculous now. If I was on the jury I’d make a tally chart !

"Do you dispute being born?" Mr Johnson asks.

Stupid question, imo, and an unfair analogy. Everybody knows for a fact that they were born.
I think that is his point. Everybody knows she was there, just as her coworker said she was, at Baby C's cot when he collapsed. She even knows she was there. JMO

'You were enjoying it, weren't you?'​

"What useful contribution were you making for this family?" Mr Johnson asks Lucy Letby, referring to the family of Child C.
A colleague of Letby has said they had to keep pulling her away from the family as the child was dying.
Letby says she cannot recall what she was doing at the time Child C lay dying in his mother's arms, but says she may have been helping a colleague with mementoes for the family - including taking the hand and footprints of Child C.
"I would have to check the charts to see if there was anything I co-signed at that time," she says.
"You were enjoying what was going on, weren't you, Lucy Letby," says Mr Johnson.
"No."
She is then asked if she enjoyed seeing her colleague upset - her colleague had been questioning if it was her fault.
"No."
He then moves on to the case of Child D.

Recap: Who is Child D?​

Child D is a girl and Lucy Letby is charged with her murder.
The prosecution says she died after an intentional injection of air into the bloodstream and collapsed three times in the early hours of 22 June 2015.
On the third collapse, she could not be revived.
Letby later searched for the parents on Facebook.

11:11am

Mr Johnson now moves on to the case of Child D.
Letby's defence statement said she did not believe she had any involvement with Child D until the baby girl's collapse.
Letby says she was affected by Child D's death, as were all staff on the unit.
In police interview, Letby had said she could not recall Child D.
Letby recalls looking after two babies in room 1 on the night of June 21-22. Caroline Oakley was the designated nurse for Child D and a baby in room 2.
Letby accepts "from time to time" she would have been alone in room 1 as Caroline Oakley split her time caring for the two babies between the two rooms.

11:15

Nurse denies enjoying baby's distress​

ee1f1e45-2687-4090-816e-cd3f8b8e263c.jpg

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
Lucy Letby continues to be cross-examined about baby C.
Nick Johnson KC asks: "What useful function were you performing? What were you contributing to the dreadful situation baby C's family were going through?"
Letby responds: "I can't recall whether I assisted with the mementoes (of the baby) which is a two-person job."
The prosecutor continues: "Do you dispute you were making a useful contribution?"
Letby says: "I would have to check the (medical) charts to see if I co-signed them at the time."
Johnson questions: "The charts wouldn’t be in the family room...he wasn’t in a cot, he was in the arms of his mother, dying, wasn’t he Lucy Letby?"
To which she replies: "Yes."
Johnson: "You were enjoying what was going on weren't you Lucy?" She responds: "No."

Letby left alone with Child D before she collapsed​

Like the previous child, Child D was also not Lucy Letby's allocated baby to care for at the Countess of Chester hospital.
"Were you affected at all by the death of Child D?" Nick Johnson KC, for the prosecution, asks.
"We were all affected on the unit that night," Letby says.
"Would you answer for yourself and not others?"
"Yes."
Letby told the police she could not remember much about Child D.
"That is not true, is it?" Mr Johnson says.
The court is then shown a map of the unit. Child D was in nursery one. Letby was looking after another baby in the same room, but because her colleague was also looking after a child in another room, Letby agrees she would have been "left alone" with Child D "from time to time".
Letby says she had very little contact with Child D, but the prosecution says this is disputed by Child D's mother.
She previously told the court Letby was the nurse holding the phone to the doctor's ear as he tried to resuscitate her.
"I have no memory of doing it," Letby says.
"Do you dispute it?"
Letby says she cannot confirm it either way because she has no memory of it. She can confirm there was such an incident - and the wrong mother was phoned when Child D collapsed.

https://news.sky.com/story/lucy-let...ws-blog-12868375?postid=5934960#liveblog-body

https://news.sky.com/story/lucy-let...ws-blog-12868375?postid=5934960#liveblog-body

11:21

Letby asked next about baby D​

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
Nick Johnson KC now turns to asking Lucy Letby about the next baby, baby D, a girl, who the nurse is charged with murdering in June 2015.
When she gave evidence earlier in the trial, the mother of baby D told the court that Letby had been there when her daughter was being resuscitated, and was holding a phone to the ear of a doctor who was trying to save the baby.
Today, Letby says she has no memory of that.
Johnson asks if she disputes that it happened. She says she has no memory of it.

Letby says she cannot confirm it either way because she has no memory of it. She can confirm there was such an incident - and the wrong mother was phoned when Child D collapsed."

Again interesting wording. The mother says it was LL with the phone to the Dr's ear. LL avoids saying she rang the wrong mother and just says the wrong mother was called. A bit like her saying the handover notes "came home" with her , rather than saying she took them home.

11:29

I can't comment on what other nurses saw, says Letby​

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
Nick Johnson KC now begins asking Lucy Letby about a rash which other nurses reported seeing on baby D.
Letby says: "I can't comment on what they did or didn't see."
Johnson asks: "Do you dispute it?"
Letby replies: "It’s the term 'dispute' I am a little unsure of. I can't comment on what anyone else says they saw."
Johnson then challenges her: "Well, you were there weren’t you?"
She replies: "I wasn’t there for the whole event, no."

11:35am

Part of a statement from Child D's mother is read out.
Letby disputes she was the nurse who held a phone to Dr Andrew Brunton's ear while resuscitation efforts were going on.
Letby says she can recall there was such an incident, as it was talked about after the event. She agrees it happened, but she disagrees it was her who made the phone call.
Mr Johnson asks about a series of Countess nursing staff's descriptions of the "unusual" skin discolouration and an 'odd' rash. Some of them said it was something they had not seen before.
Letby says she does not dispute the staff's descriptions.
NJ: "Do you still not remember [Child D]?"
LL: "I didn't recall at the time of my police interview, no."
NJ: "Do you remember her now?"
LL: "Yes."
NJ: "Do you remember the circumstances surrounding her death?"
LL: "No."
Letby messaged a colleague on June 22: '...[Child D] came out in this weird rash looking like overwhelming sepsis'.
Letby said she had not seen the type of rash often before, but she had seen something similar in her training years before.
The message added: 'Then collapsed and had full resus. So upsetting for everyone. Parents absolutely distraught, dad screaming'
Mr Johnson asks if Letby was lying to police when she said she didn't remember Child D.
Letby: "No."
Letby's message added: 'Andrew [Brunton] and Liz [Newby] said it'll be probably be investigated'.
'Hmm well it's happened & that's it. Got to carry on...'
Mr Johnson said he had earlier asked if that was Letby's reaction to Child D's death.
Letby: "I don't think it was meant in the context you are suggesting...we've got to move forward...it's not meant to be any insensitivity to the parents or [Child D]."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper