UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Child D's dad 'was screaming', Letby says in texts to colleague​

A colleague of Lucy Letby has previously told the court that Child D, a girl, had an "unusual" rash - it was "a deep red-brown, different from mottling, different from what I had seen before".
Asked if the nurse was mistaken about what she saw, Letby says: "No."
She says she does recall the particular rash.
"And you still cannot recall Child D?" Mr Johnson says.
Letby says she did not recall Child D at the time of the police interview but does remember her now - though she does not remember the circumstances of her death.
The court is then shown a series of messages between Letby and a colleague.
Letby: "We had such a rubbish night. Our job is just far too sad sometimes."
Colleague: "No, what happened."
Letby: "We lost [Child D]."
Colleague: "What!!!! But she was improving What happened."
Colleague: "Wanna chat? I can't believe you were on again. You are having such a tough time."
Letby: "Messed about a couple of times & came out in this weird rash looking like overwhelming sepsis. Liz came in. Re screened etc."
Letby: "Then collapsed & had full resus. So upsetting for everyone. Parents absolutely distraught, dad screaming."

Letby then tells her colleague the case will "probably be investigated".
"When you told police you didn't remember Child D, that was a lie, wasn't it?" Mr Johnson asks Letby.
She denies she lied.

11:42

Court shown text about 'absolutely distraught' parents​

ee1f1e45-2687-4090-816e-cd3f8b8e263c.jpg

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
The court is shown a text message that Lucy Letby sent to another nurse, the morning after baby D died.
She wrote: "Parents absolutely distraught, dad screaming."
Nick Johnson KC challenges Letby: "When you said that you didn’t really remember baby D, that was a lie wasn’t it?"
She replies: "No, I didn’t have any great recollection of the events."
Johnson adds: "This was a dramatic and shocking incident wasn’t it?"
To which Letby responds: "Yes."
The prosecutor continues: "You remembered it very well when you spoke to the police didn’t you?"
"No," Letby says.
Johnson: "You’re enjoying all of this aren’t you Lucy Letby?" Letby: "No."

11:42

Court to take a brief break​

There's now a 15 minute break in the hearing at Manchester Crown Court.
The court sits between 10:30am and 16:15pm every day and there's a 15 minute break in the morning, and another in the afternoon.
There's also an hour's lunch break - usually at 1pm.

Re. the incorrect phone call, this is from Tattle - I wonder if it's accurate?

'Dr. Thomas also recalled her then colleague Dr Andrew Brunton, who was leading resuscitation efforts, being "mortified" when a mix-up led to the mother of Child A, also allegedly killed by Ms Letby, being contacted on the phone instead of a consultant.
Dr Brunton had wanted to speak to senior colleague Dr Elizabeth Newby for advice on the resuscitation of Child D.
Dr Thomas said Dr Brunton was "shocked" when he realised the error that had been made.
The call would have been made to Child A's mother in the early hours of the morning, just two weeks after the death of her baby.'

Probably irrelevant, but if the intended recipient was a consultant I do wonder how these 2 phone numbers could possibly have got mixed up.

Re. the incorrect phone call, this is from Tattle - I wonder if it's accurate?

'Dr. Thomas also recalled her then colleague Dr Andrew Brunton, who was leading resuscitation efforts, being "mortified" when a mix-up led to the mother of Child A, also allegedly killed by Ms Letby, being contacted on the phone instead of a consultant.
Dr Brunton had wanted to speak to senior colleague Dr Elizabeth Newby for advice on the resuscitation of Child D.
Dr Thomas said Dr Brunton was "shocked" when he realised the error that had been made.
The call would have been made to Child A's mother in the early hours of the morning, just two weeks after the death of her baby.'

Probably irrelevant, but if the intended recipient was a consultant I do wonder how these 2 phone numbers could possibly have got mixed up.
Ok, maybe I am being unfair to LL-----but if it is true that LL was the one holding the phone to Dr B's ear, is it possible she was tasked with calling the consultant? Would she have done something so awful, as calling Baby A's mum instead? :oops:

I mean, if the Dr is trying to revive the baby, and he needs to make an important call, would he possibly hand the phone to a nurse and ask her to make the call while he worked on the baby?

Ok, maybe I am being unfair to LL-----but if it is true that LL was the one holding the phone to Dr B's ear, is it possible she was tasked with calling the consultant? Would she have done something so awful, as calling Baby A's mum instead? :oops:
I’m so sad for this mum, how much terror must she had gone through getting that and thinking they were talking about Baby B.

Court resumes with Letby's Facebook searches​

Proceedings are under way again after a short break.
Nick Johnson KC, for the prosecution, begins by showing Lucy Letby's Facebook search history.
At 9.51pm on 25 June 2015 - three days after Child D died - Letby searched for the baby's mother on the social media site.
Mr Johnson asks why, if Letby did not recall Child D, she was able to recall the name of her parents to search for them on Facebook.
"Have you got a good memory for names?" Mr Johnson asks.
"Yes."

I always wondered with this if it was just a truly awful but innocent mix up. Eg, they were waiting for the consultant to phone back, Baby B’s mum rang the ward, and they cosmically messed up by thinking it was the consultant and holding the phone to the Dr’s ear.

Also, I thought it was already established way back at the start that it was a different nurse holding the phone? Did I make that up?

11:57

Prosecution resumes questioning about baby D​

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
The court is resuming. The judge is in place, Lucy Letby is back in the witness box, and the jury are in. Nick Johnson KC is back on his feet, continuing to ask the nurse about baby D.
Johnson tells Letby that he's been told to keep his voice up, as the proceedings are being beamed to other courtrooms.
He asks her if she'll say if she finds it intimidating, as that's not intended. Very quietly, she replies: "Yes."
Letby is speaking very quietly. She's not looking at Johnson, who's standing at a right angle to her. Instead she's looking straight ahead of her, towards the jury.

12:03

'I can't stop crying,' Letby texted colleague​

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
Nick Johnson KC asks Lucy Letby if she'd say she has a good memory. She says yes.
The court then sees WhatsApp messages, which Letby exchanged with another nurse a few days after baby D died.
She says "I can't stop crying", and her colleague suggests that she sees a counsellor and takes time off.
Letby says back: "Work is always my priority."

11:54am

The trial is resuming following a short break.
Mr Johnson asks about the Facebook search for Child D's mother on June 25, 2015. He asks how she remembers the name of Child D's mother if she did not recall Child D in police interview in 2018.
Letby says she recalled the name of the mother in June 2015.
NJ: "You have got a good memory for names?"
LL: "Yes."
NJ: "You carry them in your head?"
LL: "Yeah."
NJ: "Would you say you've got a good memory?"
LL: "Yeah."

12:10pm

Letby is asked if Caroline Oakley's notes showed Child D was stable prior to the collapse.
"Do you accept the evidence that [Child D's designated nurse in room 1] Caroline Oakley was on a break when [Child D] collapsed?"
Letby says she cannot recall. "I cannot say either way because I don't know."
"Do you want to make any further comment about it?"
"No."
Letby accepts that if Caroline Oakley was on a break, the other nurse in room 1 was herself.
Kathryn Percival-Ward had also given evidence saying Caroline Oakley was on a break, Mr Johnson tells the court.
NJ: "Do you accept that Caroline Oakley was on a break?"
LL: "Yes."

Last edited:

'Something odd about that night': Colleague's text to Letby after baby's death​

More texts between Lucy Letby and one of her colleagues are being shown in court.
Letby tells her she is feeling awful.
Colleague: "Just think carefully about whether you should be working if you feel so bad."
Colleague: "Maybe you need to take time off."
Letby: "Work is always my priority I won't let it affect it. I just haven't let myself cry over it until now... Once I've let it out tonight my head will be clearer."

Her colleague then questions some of the deaths.
Colleague: "Yeah there is something odd about that night and the other three that went so suddenly."
Letby: "What do you mean?"
Letby: "Odd that we lost three and in different circumstances?"
Colleague: "I dunno. Were they that different?"
Colleague: "Ignore me. I am speculating."

Letby texts back and tries to explain the differences between the children.

Letby searched for baby's father three months after death - despite saying she didn't remember her​

Three months after the death of Child D, the court is told, Lucy Letby searched for her father on Facebook.
When first interviewed, Letby told police she could not remember Child D.
"You didn't really forget Child D, did you?" asks Nick Johnson KC, for the prosecution.
Letby says Child D died because she did not receive the right treatment at the start of her life.

I always wondered with this if it was just a truly awful but innocent mix up. Eg, they were waiting for the consultant to phone back, Baby B’s mum rang the ward, and they cosmically messed up by thinking it was the consultant and holding the phone to the Dr’s ear.

Also, I thought it was already established way back at the start that it was a different nurse holding the phone? Did I make that up?

That's perfectly possible I suppose, in all the stress of the situation.

I mean, if the Dr is trying to revive the baby, and he needs to make an important call, would he possibly hand the phone to a nurse and ask her to make the call while he worked on the baby?

It was likely to be a nurse who either made or received the call IMO. Whether that was LL or someone else, who can say?

12:09

Nurse remarked to Letby about sudden death of three babies​

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
The court is now shown more WhatsApp messages, this time between Lucy Letby and a different colleague.
The other nurse remarks that it's odd that three babies had all died suddenly on the unit that month.
Nick Johnson KC asks Letby: "Were you worried people starting to put two and two together?"
She answers: "No."
Johnson says that more than three months after baby D died, Letby searched for the baby's father on Facebook.
He asks her: "You didn’t really forget baby D did you Lucy Letby?"
She replies: "I didn’t recall specific events about her."

12:14pm

The neonatal schedule is shown to the court.
Mr Johnson says there is nothing for Letby's name between 1am and 1.30am - the latter when Child D collapsed.
A blood gas record is shown for Child D at 1.14am.
NJ: "That was done by you, wasn't it?"
LL: "I don't know."
NJ: "That's your writing, isn't it?"
LL: "It could be?"
Mr Johnson asserts it is.
Letby: "It looks like my writing, yes."
Mr Johnson asks why it isn't signed by her.
"It's just an oversight, like the next line [which also isn't signed], it's an error."

'Something odd about that night': Colleague's text to Letby after baby's death​

More texts between Lucy Letby and one of her colleagues are being shown in court.
Letby tells her she is feeling awful.
Colleague: "Just think carefully about whether you should be working if you feel so bad."
Colleague: "Maybe you need to take time off."
Letby: "Work is always my priority I won't let it affect it. I just haven't let myself cry over it until now... Once I've let it out tonight my head will be clearer."

Her colleague then questions some of the deaths.
Colleague: "Yeah there is something odd about that night and the other three that went so suddenly."
Letby: "What do you mean?"
Letby: "Odd that we lost three and in different circumstances?"
Colleague: "I dunno. Were they that different?"
Colleague: "Ignore me. I am speculating."

Letby texts back and tries to explain the differences between the children.

After these texts with a colleague beginning to question losing the 4 babies between June 8th and June 23rd, the next collapse did not happen until August 3rd. I wonder if that was intentional, to let things calm down a bit?

It did cross my mind too, but surely nobody would do that intentionally? Saying that, this case is so out there, I'm starting to think anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unique sky 6793