UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It did cross my mind too, but surely nobody would do that intentionally? Saying that, this case is so out there, I'm starting to think anything is possible.
I agree. But it is so hard for me to imagine how a doctor would make that mistake and call a grieving mum instead of a consultant on call.

Were their last names similar?

12:19

Letby asked about night of baby D's death​

ee1f1e45-2687-4090-816e-cd3f8b8e263c.jpg

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
Lucy Letby says she believes that a delay in giving antibiotics contributed to the death of baby D.
NIck Johnson KC says: "They don’t guard against air embolus do they though...antibiotics?"
She replies: "No."
On the night of baby D's death, Letby was responsible for two other babies in nursery one (the intensive care room).
Another nurse, Caroline Oakley, was the designated nurse for baby D. Oakley has given evidence that she was on a break when baby D collapsed.
Asked if she accepts this, Letby says: "Yes."

12:24pm

Observations for Child D are shown, including readings at 1.15am. It is signed by Caroline Oakley.
Mr Johnson says Caroline Oakley had told the court she got those details for the 1.15am observation "from the girls".
Letby says she does not remember that bit of evidence.
Letby says she does not recall who was looking after Child D when Caroline Oakley was on her break.
An infusion chart is shown where Child D is given a saline bolus. Letby says the handwriting in the 'date and time started' column is likely to be hers.
"Did you take the opportunity while Caroline was out to sabotage [Child D]?"
"No."
Mr Johnson says "You were standing over her when the alarms went off, weren't you?"
LL: "I don't recall."
Mr Johnson says who the 'candidates' could have been. One of the nurses says she wasn't there in evidence. Another is Kathryn Percival-Ward, and Letby agrees she could have been there. Another nurse is discounted.
Letby says she cannot recall if it was her who was in room 1.
A fluid balance chart is shown to the court, with the note 'oral secretions++'. Letby says the handwriting "could" be hers.
Letby said it could have been something she had documented alongside Caroline Oakley.
Mr Johnson suggests Letby was "babysitting" Child D.
Letby adds she "cannot comment" if she had been in nursery room 1 throughout.
The neonatal schedule is shown to the court.
Letby denies she has "ever" falsified paperwork to make it look like she was doing one activity at one time when doing another.

Mr Johnson says Caroline Oakley had told the court she got those details for the 1.15am observation "from the girls".
Designated nurse Caroline Oakley's evidence back in November -

2:34pm

The judge, Mr Justice James Goss, asks to clarify one matter from the 1.30am collapse.
"You said some of that was what you had been told had happened."
Mrs Oakley says the 'oral suctions' referred to what was being done to Child D before she arrived back in room 1. The part of the note from 'discolourations to skin observed' were her own observations.

LIVE: Lucy Letby trial, Friday, November 4

I'm confused - we seem to be getting conflicting info regarding the 1.15 blood gas reading. Earlier it said LL admitted it could be her writing but above it says it was Caroline.

12:26

'Did you take the opportunity to sabotage baby D?'​

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
Nick Johnson KC presses Letby about baby D, asking: "Were you looking after baby D while she [Caroline Oakley] was on a break?"
Letby responds: "No."
Johnson asks: "Who was?"
"I don't recall who was allocated to look after her," she says.
Johnson then asks: "Did you take the opportunity whilst Caroline Oakley was absent to sabotage baby D?" Letby replies: "No."
"When the alarms went off you were standing over her weren’t you?" the prosecutor says.
To which Letby replies: "I don’t recall."

12:27pm

The schedule shows Letby was involved in giving medications to Child D before the second collapse at 3am.
NJ: "Do you remember that?"
LL: "No."
An infusion for Child D is made by Letby and Caroline Oakley at 3.20am.
NJ: "[Child D] died because you injected her with air, didn't you?"
LL: "No, no...I did not give her air."

12:28pm

Letby said she was looking after other babies, "not just [Child D]".
LL: "I tried to be as co-operative as I could be [to police in interview]."

note - spellings corrected by me

12:32pm

Letby asks for a break.
Mr Johnson says he just requires to tidy up something which should take two minutes, in the case of Child C.
He refers to the bereavement checklist.
Letby says hand and footprints were taken before death in certain cases.
Mr Johnson says the checklist is 'for staff following neonatal death'.
The judge says there will be an early lunch break, and court will resume at 1.45pm.

Court breaks for early lunch​

Lucy Letby requested a break so now the court has now adjourned for an early lunch.
It will resume at 1.45pm.

Letby says hand and footprints were taken before death in certain cases.
Mr Johnson says the checklist is 'for staff following neonatal death'.
mother's evidence for baby C

"One of the nurses came in and said something along the lines of 'you've said your goodbyes, now do you want me to put him in here [a basket]?'
The mum said 'he's not dying yet', and the nurse backtracked."

Recap: Lucy Letby trial, Wednesday, October 26

12:39

Letby denies falsifying paperwork​

The court sees Lucy Letby's writing recorded on nursing records for a different baby, at the time that baby D collapsed.
Nick Johnson KC asks: "Were you really doing that as baby D was collapsing?"
Letby says: "I can’t give a definitive time."
Johnson continues: "Or have you tried to make the paperwork look like you were doing something else at the time of baby D’s collapse?"
Letby denies this, saying: "No, I’ve not falsified any paperwork."
Johnson asks for clarification: "Ever?"
She says "no", to which Johnson replies: "Well, we’ll come to that."
The prosecutor then says: "Baby D died because you injected her with air, didn't you?" Letby again says: "No."
Johnson adds: "Did you think that the paperwork wouldn’t tie you to baby D at the time of her collapse?"
Letby replies that she was looking after other babies too.

12:43

Court breaks for early lunch at Letby request​

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
Lucy Letby has just asked for a break.
She is told that she will be allowed a break, but before she has one she is asked about the matter of taking hand and footprints of a baby after death.
The nurse says that sometimes it's done before the baby dies.
Nick Johnson KC says: "I am going to suggest to you that that is untrue, that you are lying about it." She says: "I do not agree."
The court has now risen for an early lunch break and will reconvene at 1.45pm.

Letby denies falsifying paperwork as an alibi​

The prosecution claims Lucy Letby altered paperwork to make it appear as if she were looking after another baby when Child D collapsed on 22 June 2015.
The baby collapsed three times before she died.
"I have not falsified any paperwork," Letby says.
"Child D died because you injected her with air, didn't you?" Nick Johnson KC, for the prosecution, asks.
"No," Letby replies.
"I did not give her air."
"Did you think the paperwork wouldn't tie you to Child D at the time she collapsed?" Mr Johnson asks.
After asking him to rephrase the question, Letby says: "No, I had other babies. I wasn't caring for Child D."
"Did you take the decision to say 'No I didn't remember her' to avoid answering questions?" Mr Johnson asks.
Letby says she tried to be as cooperative as possible with the police.
The prosecution points out that Letby has previously said she has a good memory for names.
Mr Johnson tries to continue with questioning but Letby requests a break.
Before a break is granted, Mr Johnson first asks Letby about her previous claim that it is possible to take hand and footprints from a baby before they die.
(Letby previously told the court this is what she was helping Child C's parents do, which is why she was in the room as he was dying.)
But a document shown to the court says these are usually taken after death. Letby says it is not unusual for it to be done before a child dies.
"You shouldn't have been having anything to do with Child C at this point, should you?" Mr Johnson says.

Is there any time limit on the prosecution questioning her? Can they just keep going and going?

I'm confused - we seem to be getting conflicting info regarding the 1.15 blood gas reading. Earlier it said LL admitted it could be her writing but above it says it was Caroline.
I think it's possibly different charts

A blood gas record is shown for Child D at 1.14am.

NJ: "That was done by you, wasn't it?"

LL: "I don't know."

NJ: "That's your writing, isn't it?"

LL: "It could be?"

Mr Johnson asserts it is.

Letby: "It looks like my writing, yes."

Mr Johnson asks why it isn't signed by her.

"It's just an oversight, like the next line [which also isn't signed], it's an error."

and

Observations for Child D are shown, including readings at 1.15am. It is signed by Caroline Oakley.

Letby says she does not recall who was looking after Child D when Caroline Oakley was on her break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper