UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“I killed them on purpose because I'm not good enough to care for them”

The notes seem to portray someone who believes they are victimised. I think in the above quote she’s saying she killed them on purpose because she isn’t good enough at caring / at her job / who she is inside. Not because it was her job directly she was bad at. In other words “I kill because I’m a horrible person”

It could be that she's someone who wears non-engagement rings on that finger too. I know some people do. And maybe it is the same ring, she just swaps hand to hand?. There's never been any mention of bf, fiance, husband etc. In fairness, the one thing the media have been good at is keeping her personal life fairly private.

In fairness, I’m married. It’s unusual I’ll be wearing an engagement or wedding ring. I tend to wear whatever I want, on whatever finger I like.

Thank you, and I meant to put if guilty of course. If it does turn out she's guilty it's crazy enough to think she managed to get away with it for a whole year never mind that it might actually have been longer. You would think they'd be reviewing her nursing skills at the least...
The impression I have is that she was confident in her work and manner and probably very proficient in her practice.
Maybe a highly valued staff member.
But I could easily be dead wrong about that.
She had a clean record, been there a long time etc etc.
Maybe a public persona and a secret self.
But the people I would be expecting to identify anomalies would be those that worked closest to her.
Nurse training is a kind of a crucifixion in my view, you emerge with a few permanent puncture wounds like an internal high pitched alarm system which never stops alerting you even years after you leave the profession.
It's like an electrical shocking.

I'd be very surprised if none of them registered anomalies.

“I killed them on purpose because I'm not good enough to care for them”

The notes seem to portray someone who believes they are victimised. I think in the above quote she’s saying she killed them on purpose because she isn’t good enough at caring / at her job / who she is inside. Not because it was her job directly she was bad at. In other words “I kill because I’m a horrible person”
What she's supposedly written doesn't make much sense to me. It'll be very interesting to hear what she has to say about the note and what she meant by it.

Can someone confirm-they are only looking at a year long period to ensure a conviction and she actually could've started earlier?

My understanding is that the police needed to establish their terms of reference, i.e. the time period they would focus on, with a view to establishing if criminal offences had occurred and identify any suspects.

At least I hope they didn't just follow what the hospital said and carried out an independent investigation of incidents and hospital staff and visitors with access? That would be flawed if it were the case.

People will ask 'what about other possible offences that fall outside the terms of reference, where LL was present'. Well, I think that will be a matter for the coroner to re-open any inquests into other contentious deaths or for the hospital authorities to consider other collapses, in the event that LL is found guilty of any offences.

It's not ideal, but it has to be this way for sake of practicality and the financial and resourcing constraints of the police investigation.

Just as a point on one bit in the note "Never marry and never have a family", that read to me more like "because of this investigation I'll never have a normal life", rather than her saying she can't have kids and being able to use that as a possible motive. And she's right, even if she gets found not guilty, she will have to assume an identity and will constantly be hunted by the public. She won't ever have a normal life, even if completely factually innocent.

This is my interpretation, as well.

The impression I have is that she was confident in her work and manner and probably very proficient in her practice.
Maybe a highly valued staff member.
But I could easily be dead wrong about that.
She had a clean record, been there a long time etc etc.
Maybe a public persona and a secret self.
But the people I would be expecting to identify anomalies would be those that worked closest to her.
Nurse training is a kind of a crucifixion in my view, you emerge with a few permanent puncture wounds like an internal high pitched alarm system which never stops alerting you even years after you leave the profession.
It's like an electrical shocking.

I'd be very surprised if none of them registered anomalies.
Im confident we will hear a lot of stories from witness stand in coming months.

After all, the trial is supposed to last for nearly half a year.

I trust Prosecution.

I pity the poor parents of these babies and the members of the Jury.

Some things stay in memory forever :(

Moo

Regarding the note. LL would definitely be “anguished” at being investigated, whether she is guilty or innocent.

But if she was innocent, surely in her ramblings, she would be expressing concern for the babies? Horror at the possibility they may have been murdered? Horror at the possibility a serial killer may have been active, right under her nose? Wondering if there’s anything she missed? Wondering who might have done it? Desire and hope for the real perpetrator to be found? Wondering how the babies may really have died, and whether the police are entirely mistaken?

Instead, the note consists of a mixture of self-loathing, self-pity, and something of a confession. There is no concern for anyone but herself, no hope for the truth (and in fact, she is already assuming that she will be sent down for long enough to prevent her marrying and having children), just pure self-absorption. Whether or not it is a true confession, I don’t think that note is that of an innocent woman.

I wonder if her entire nursing career has been reviewed? Are there more victims that have not yet been identified?
possible.
but not investigated for this case

Regarding the note. LL would definitely be “anguished” at being investigated, whether she is guilty or innocent.

But if she was innocent, surely in her ramblings, she would be expressing concern for the babies? Horror at the possibility they may have been murdered? Horror at the possibility a serial killer may have been active, right under her nose? Wondering if there’s anything she missed? Wondering who might have done it? Desire and hope for the real perpetrator to be found? Wondering how the babies may really have died, and whether the police are entirely mistaken?

Instead, the note consists of a mixture of self-loathing, self-pity, and something of a confession. There is no concern for anyone but herself, no hope for the truth (and in fact, she is already assuming that she will be sent down for long enough to prevent her marrying and having children), just pure self-absorption. Whether or not it is a true confession, I don’t think that note is that of an innocent woman.
Great analysis.

She may not give evidence in her defence. I don't think she will for one moment!
I think you're right. I'd be very surprised if she takes to the witness box. Unfortunately, if that note is merely an outpouring of despair rather than a confession then I think it will be very difficult to demonstrate that without her actually saying it herself.

She may not give evidence in her defence. I don't think she will for one moment!
Yeh true she might not. JMO but what with her being so obviously emotional she might be a talker and want to explain exactly what was going on in her mind at the time and what she meant by it, although she could well have been advised against it. Maybe she'll say she can't remember writing it!

I wonder if her entire nursing career has been reviewed? Are there more victims that have not yet been identified?
The Liverpool training hospital I believe are or have reviewed.
I think you're right. I'd be very surprised if she takes to the witness box. Unfortunately, if that note is merely an outpouring of despair rather than a confession then I think it will be very difficult to demonstrate that without her actually saying it herself.
I hope she does.

I'd be very surprised if we hear from her during her defence. I think she will have been well advised against it.
Yeh I do agree that is the most likely scenario, but with this case and this woman who knows!

When someone’s mental health deteriorates it’s natural to become totally self-focused though and to show self-loathing.

I totally agree fully aware as are most nurses but handovers in pockets happens on a daily basis in hospital trusts all over the UK

Police briefing notes are individually serial numbered and registered to an individual officer.

If it's not handed back in afterwards the commander knows exactly who it was given to!

Leave if lying around, or worse, leave the building with it on pain of death.

I've done a lot of investigative work in the NHS over 10 years. Improved systems could be introduced but the management structures are top heavy and ineffective, the work culture is shocking, jobs are protected so even with poor performance staff are secure.

Whatever the outcome of this case, this should be a watershed moment for the NHS to get their house in order. I fear they are too large, unwieldy and mired in poor governance to make those changes.

The NHS runs on the goodwill of the troops at the sharp end, but they would be so much more accomplished with real managers, not able clinicians who are promoted into leadership roles they are totally unsuitable for.

MOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members